Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

poo poo, that's a lot more detailed than I realized.

I guess the main thing that's unclear to me is when/why to use the kinetic advance. I think I get the concept of cancels in general but I'm struggling to turn it into something useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I guess people still need codes so heres some:

R6SGL-HVZEB-GU6W8-956PT-IVW8I
UO93Y-5P9L2-ZMM12-RC2AO-7W9YY

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

metricchip posted:

I guess the main thing that's unclear to me is when/why to use the kinetic advance. I think I get the concept of cancels in general but I'm struggling to turn it into something useful.

the general idea of a kinetic advance is to turn stuff that you normally can't combo off into stuff you can, like for instance with kinetic advance vlad can use his super after a throw whereas normally that wouldn't be possible. If you've ever played street fighter 4 the concept is similar to an FADC in that game. On a character to character level they vary in usefulness, but most combo lists have them somewhere or another

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

metricchip posted:

Use it to 1. extend combos, 2. create mixups, or 3. make moves safe on block.

Example 1: you can't combo off of Chel's fireball (her alpha special). However if you cancel it into a forward dash using Kinetic Advance you can.

Example 2: If someone blocks a standing heavy attack, normally they are pretty safe to continue blocking the same way. However if you cancel the standing heavy into a forward jump using kinetic advance, you can hit them with a crossup (down+heavy in the air) to make them switch the direction they are blocking.

Example 3: Vlad's Beta Special, an uppercut (also called DP or Dragon Punch) is very unsafe on block. If you don't know what that means, essentially if you do the uppercut and the opponent blocks it, you are very vulnerable and the opponent gets a free combo on you. However, if you cancel the uppercut into a dash with Kinetic Advance, you are now in an advantageous position and cannot be punished.

This is all fairly intermediate stuff though. I'm not sure if you're new to fighting games in general or just this game, but you might not want to worry about Kinetic stuff until you have the basics down.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Doulos posted:

Just coming from Guilty Gear, this usually means that's the best character. See Eddie, Millia, Elphelt, etc. Also, doesn't his invisibility have some invulnerability?

This is a capcom fighter though, so I'm not sure. Crow is scary but his actual mix-ups can be reacted to rather easily.

Also, Jmcrofts I have to say barrier has merit. I use advance Vlad myself but his uppercut is so short ranged that characters often just sit outside the range of it before going into pressure.
Certain characters like Vlad/Crow should consider barrier as reversals are their weak point and they don't need advance it for big damage or reliable knockdowns. Characters like Talos and Chel should 100% be using advance though.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Crow I can see it. Vlad I 100% disagree. Even with the short range DP FADC is extremely powerful, as is throw->super.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Codes for people who are still somehow not in this Rockem Sockem game:

U9QGZ-YGOQN-LG44I-URJFZ-ZSNCG
WZPT1-I6OIK-8TL2K-1RVBN-EJQJK

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Jmcrofts posted:

Crow I can see it. Vlad I 100% disagree. Even with the short range DP FADC is extremely powerful, as is throw->super.

Again I use advance. Against Dauntless and the like I can see it being the superior choice though.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Gorp posted:

Again I use advance. Against Dauntless and the like I can see it being the superior choice though.

I don't see any real advantage depending on matchup. Advance is too much of a must-have to give up.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Why links in a fighter designed to be accessible?

Why?

E: I honestly don't understand the thought process there

Syenite fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 5, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shukaro posted:

Why?

But they're easy links?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shukaro posted:

Why?

Jmcrofts posted:

Links are seriously baby easy in this game, this isn't SF4. Also all fighting games have links.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
It's only a link in name, just mash it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shukaro posted:

Why?

Every fighter has links, and these are ultra-lenient, you can literally mash as fast as possible between buttons and get them.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

The links in this game really are pretty much one or two steps away from being gatlings

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Let me clarify

I'm real bad at fightgames unlike you guys and they're unnecessarily annoying in a game where the most complex input is down heavy

Dias posted:

Every fighter has links, and these are ultra-lenient, you can literally mash as fast as possible between buttons and get them.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong then

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Blazblue doesn't have links, it has gattling combos.
Anime master race.

(For real, why can you just buffer the next normal during the animation fo the previous one. Links are horrible)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shukaro posted:

Let me clarify

I'm real bad at fightgames unlike you guys and they're unnecessarily annoying in a game where the most complex input is down heavy

Are you incapable of mashing? I'm probably worse than you. Just an FYI.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Nobody is above mashing

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shukaro posted:

Let me clarify

Can you explain your preferred alternative? All normals chain into all other normals? No comboing a normal into a normal?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I shall report back re: mashing

Jmcrofts posted:

Can you explain your preferred alternative? All normals chain into all other normals? No comboing a normal into a normal?

I'm personally partial to L-M-H chaining like in marvel type games, but this is way more of a SF type fighter so that probably wouldn't work

Syenite fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 6, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The average person (what this game is targeting) cannot do a shoryuken on a consistent basis, let alone on reaction.

You guys are forgetting how very niche fighting games as a skillset.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tae posted:

The average person (what this game is targeting) cannot do a shoryuken on a consistent basis, let alone on reaction.

You guys are forgetting how very niche fighting games as a skillset.

I think mashing is a universal skill that spans across all levels of experience.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

What I personally don't get is the exclusion of auto combos

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shukaro posted:

Let me clarify

We get that, but this is as easy as it gets without the game implementing a chain system, which would still have links.

And yeah, just start mashing late into the first attack and you'll get it. I had a bit of trouble with Chel's stuff until I realized I was being way too finesse-y with it. I don't really mash it tho, I do more of a double/triple tap.

Mintergalactic posted:

What I personally don't get is the exclusion of auto combos

Well, there's target combo-ish things in the game right now. Chel can cancel f+H into f+M, for instance.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
OK so mashing insanely hard works reliably, but it's a lot dumber than just letting you buffer an input or something.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shukaro posted:

OK so mashing insanely hard works reliably, but it's a lot dumber than just letting you buffer an input or something.

you CAN buffer an input. There's like a 5 frame window.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
people need to learn combos, I've won matches I absolutely should have lost because my opponent's arent even trying to maximize damage. i think the scariest match ive had was against a Chel who had some really sick juggle combo that ended in airgrab into super, after i saw that poo poo i had to respect her DP a lot more than i did in basically every other match.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

5 frame window

Shukaro posted:

real bad at fightgames

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Y-yes?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
speaking of combos what can Talos get off a jab other than more jabs or reset options? because i havenot found anything, though i haven't tried too hard because KA makes pressuring with heavier buttons easy

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jmcrofts posted:

you CAN buffer an input. There's like a 5 frame window.

It's gotta be more than 5f, 5f is Blazblue and I dropped poo poo all the time in that game. But yeah, there's a massive buffer for inputs. It's so big I've played 300+ ping matches where neither me nor my opponent dropped stuff.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shukaro posted:

The target audience for the game isn't going to know what buffering an input is. They'll just mash.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

The only actual problem is your attitude, you can totally do it if you think you can. You think you can't, so you can't. Unless you are a person that literally never plays videogames except for this one time or you have no arms or something you are 100% capable of doing all links in this game with 5 minutes of practice at the outside. Please see this post as 50% encouraging motivational pep-talk and 50% calling you out on the same "execution barrier" non-excuse we get to read in literally every fighting game thread since the beginning of the Gregorian calendar.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

The target audience for the game isn't going to know what buffering an input is. They'll just mash.

If you have to mash out every normal combo hard enough to wear out your buttons then why not just let you chain normals is what I'm saying. It's supposed to be easy and accessible apparently or is that just a weird thing they said.

Trykt posted:

The only actual problem is your attitude, you can totally do it if you think you can. You think you can't, so you can't. Unless you are a person that literally never plays videogames except for this one time or you have no arms or something you are 100% capable of doing all links in this game with 5 minutes of practice at the outside. Please see this post as 50% encouraging motivational pep-talk and 50% calling you out on the same "execution barrier" non-excuse we get to read in literally every fighting game thread since the beginning of the Gregorian calendar.

it literally is a weird execution barrier for no reason though, is the thing

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dias posted:

Mortal Kombat lets you dial your entire combo as fast as you want and then does it. It's a way better system for a fighting game that wants to be accessible, because it means you can tell a player "this combo goes: X Y Z" and then all he has to do is hit those buttons and only those buttons as fast as he can, no further timing needed.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 6, 2015

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Shukaro posted:

It isn't, any off-the-cuff alternative you can think of (please don't list them) would introduce their own design issues. You can't even imagine what they are because you don't know how fighting games work so you'll just have to trust us when we tell you the problem literally only exists in your head.

It's an extraordinarily solvable problem for you at any rate, please do so! Cool thing about it is once you figure it out it's a permanent skill, you will literally always know how to do it for any game you play in the future. Totally worth the practice time especially considering how extraordinarily minimal it is in this game in particular.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

Mortal Kombat lets you dial your entire kombo as fast as you want and then does it. It's a way better system for a fighting game that wants to be accessible, because it means you can tell a player "this combo goes: X Y Z" and then all he has to do is hit those buttons and only those buttons as fast as he can, no further timing needed.

Exactly, here you have you either have spot-on timing or mash super hard which is not exactly "accessible" (the point of this game?) compared to just dialing them in or letting normals chain.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Shukaro posted:

It isn't, it's a very normal execution barrier - I can't think of a realtime video game that's satisfying to play where you can just sorta press buttons whenever and have poo poo work. And even if it wasn't, hitting a combo you've been practicing is cool, and heck even getting hit by one that you've never seen and thinking "drat that guy has some solid execution" is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DatonKallandor posted:

Mortal Kombat lets you dial your entire kombo as fast as you want and then does it. It's a way better system for a fighting game that wants to be accessible, because it means you can tell a player "this combo goes: X Y Z" and then all he has to do is hit those buttons and only those buttons as fast as he can, no further timing needed.

Not really. Then you have to memorize strings, and it might help with people being able to hit combos, but not really with people being able to, you know, win games. Plus, MK has links, and it has juggles, which are a lot harder to time than a 5f+ window a lot of the time.

• Locked thread