Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I thought it would surely come up later as him having some kind of a deadly disease, with Tamara begging you to save his life because praying to the Eternal Fire ain't doing poo poo. Then you could convince them to get magical help from the pellar or some alchemist and they would see the error of their ways and ditch the Witch Hunters together and live happily ever after. Or something.

Or more likely the Pellar or Alchemist would cure the symptoms, he'd still be a carrier, and infect thousands of people before dying. The plague itself causes a further backlash and burnings are doubled.

The Witcher!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Geralts reaction and face here always cracked me the hell up

https://youtu.be/-29e7O00TiI?t=477

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Geralt has no room to judge anyone on having a hosed up sex life.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Nephthys posted:

Sure, but you can also talk your way to Menge and then ask him about the treasure and he tells you its in a bank on Kovir, but then when you bring up Dandelion he gets suspicious of you and you fight the whole building and then you get the key and letter. Dijkstra seemed pretty happy, you still find Dandelion and you get to kill everyone so it seems like a win/win to me.

Count Reuvens treasure: That's the path that I felt caused the most damage to Triss (both physically and psychologically) she's getting tortured, but doesn't get the satisfaction of killing Menge personally or getting the actual info you need and were supposed to get. Next, to find Dandelion you have to track down the spy and Triss ends up having to torture him to get the info which she clearly finds really disturbing to do, so she's had the double whammy of losing her fingernails and then causing similar pain to someone else.
gently caress Dijkstra's treasure, Dandelion is more important and is your friend. The help Dijkstra gives you is pitiful in comparison to the help others give you and comes with prerequisites. gently caress him. He's not, and never has been, your friend.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Shrieker is downright kicking my rear end. Makes me realize how awful the loading times are.

Edit: Nah, gently caress that guy, he dead.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 6, 2015

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Bitter Harvest is loving impossible. They will straight up ignore you even while you're setting them on fire to go after the NPCs. I killed one of the Ghouls and his corpse touched the questgiver and killed him. The Corpse!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Snak posted:

also that some of the loot is RNG dependant. After hundreds of hours, I finally just found some tier one formulas in the sunstone cave. I've hat the enhanced and superior formulas for most of the game, but couldn't make them because i didn't have the basic formula.
tedious.

This is my biggest gripe overall with alchemy. By the time you get to Kaer Morhen, whatever (basic) recipes you haven't unlocked yet should be given to you, like the way they give you the enhanced Draconid oil when you help Eskel with his side quest. Uncle Vesemir should have a nice big old witcher book for you that has the decoctions and potions and other odds and ends of witcher devicesthat he can leave to you in his will

Maybe later or in NG+ you should also be able unlock the upgraded versions either by buying the recipes from a special vendor, or just getting them out of the Kaer Morhen library

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 6, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Kaer Morhen Library Robbery: Collect them all

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I've had pretty good luck so far with finding recipes I can actually use, but now I'm getting way ahead of myself and worrying about future playthroughs now that I know I won't be able to count on doing so if I play this game more than once.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm still missing a ton of different oils. I wouldn't worry about it if I wasn't already running into hard monsters that are vulnerable to those oils. The first time I played this I couldn't kill a Werewolf because I lacked Cursed Oil and his health would regen faster than I could hurt him.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

It's not just facial expression but still one of my favourite reactions is in White Orchard

Guilty-looking guy: 'Yeah, well you see the thing about that is-OH GOD THERE'S SOMETHING BEHIND YOU."
Geralt: ":colbert:...No there isn't"

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

OAquinas posted:

In an effort to try and get every superior formula I could I stopped at all the hidden treasures and guarded treasures, but still couldn't collect 'em all. I'd probably gnaw my arm off if I had to hit all the spoils of war/caches

There was a locked chest in the sunstone crypt I couldn't find a key for though.
Is this in the same room as the spike trap floors? If so, I managed to get the key to open the chest from the body that was either in the same room or one before. I saw reports of this bug but maybe it was fixed in v1.06.

Regarding Count Reuven's Treasure, all you guys have got it completely wrong for the motivation to complete it. You want to make it up to Bart the Rock Troll to make him feel better. gently caress Dijkstra, we need to make Bart happy. Neither Triss nor Yennefer are my true loves, there is only Bart.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

necrobobsledder posted:

Is this in the same room as the spike trap floors? If so, I managed to get the key to open the chest from the body that was either in the same room or one before. I saw reports of this bug but maybe it was fixed in v1.06.

No, it's a different chest. I just found it last night and couldn't find a key either.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Never change.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RentACop posted:

Geralts reaction and face here always cracked me the hell up

https://youtu.be/-29e7O00TiI?t=477

'Zoltan. That's an owl, not a hawk.'

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I hate the Wandering In The Dark quest. It's long, it's boring, never enough supplies. Silly that I'm able to meditate over and over again to keep my potions stocked up. Right now I don't even have any healing items left. :(

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Wandering in the Dark is great. You've got Keira, you've got the Wild Hunt, you've got Drowners. What more do you want?

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Ularg posted:

I hate the Wandering In The Dark quest. It's long, it's boring, never enough supplies.

The lack of supplies is because a part of the quest was cut not long before release. However, Dandelion's notes describes what it would have involved:

"Before Geralt and Kiera went to the cave to seek out the elven mage, they enlisted the help of a local halfling named Nobumoto. Geralt told the halfling that they feared that their journey through the dark cave would be long and boring, and without sufficient supplies.

So Geralat asked the halfling: "We really need someone to go ahead of us, and make sure we have supplies along the way. Think you can do that for us?"

"Yes!" the halfling said enthusiastically. "Nobumoto take care of supplies for you in cave."

"Good," said Geralt. "Just put the supplies in any chests or barrels you find in the cave. There are always plenty of old containers in caves for some reason."

A while after the halfling had left for the cave, Geralt and Kiera also began their descent into the dark. They fought several fierce monsters, encountered ancient, time-consuming puzzles, but as they went further and further into the dark unknown, they did not find any supplies in any of the chests or barrels along their way.

After Kiera had a harrowing encounter with some rats, they were beginning to become desperate. Kiera told Geralt that she really needed a drink right now to calm her down, and so Geralt began searching every big and small container he could find.

And then, as he opened the lid of an old chest, the halfling Nobumoto leapt out, wearing a festive costume, and yelling "Supplies!!"

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I think you forgot the part where you console the Wild Hunt knight that they left behind.

"There, there Knight. It's okay, they didn't leave you behind. They must have just forgot!"

Game finally has its hooks in me. I'm catching myself just going from one map question mark to the next. Finally level 9. Feel godlike now that I can fight pretty much anything in the area you start in Velen.

Though I do often find it hard to get a hold of Silk or Thread. Drowning in leather and monster parts that I don't know what to do with, though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I like to imagine Nithral actually had a long convoluted backstory as a political opponent of Eredin before being relegated to a throwaway Act 1 mid-boss as punishment.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tirranek posted:

It's not just facial expression but still one of my favourite reactions is in White Orchard

Guilty-looking guy: 'Yeah, well you see the thing about that is-OH GOD THERE'S SOMETHING BEHIND YOU."
Geralt: ":colbert:...No there isn't"

Came here to mention this, and yes, it's one of the best.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The Sharmat posted:

It occurs to me that 1.08 may not replace 1.07 so I really do need to get this patch problem resolved if I'm ever going to play the game again.

Whenever I try to install patch 1.07 I get the following error and a hosed up game with weird behavior like constant freezes.

"Error adding: E:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\content\content4\streaming.cache"

Looking it up there are two possible problems and solutions

1. The drive it's installed on doesn't have enough room for this (which means the patch requires upwards of 100 gb of free space to run, but whatever, I'll try it)

The solution to this is changing the system variables of the TEMP and TMP files to go to a drive with more room. I do that and...same exact error.

The other solution, which I found on the CDPR forums, was to just use GOG galaxy to install the patch.

When I do that, I get the helpful "Disk access error" message after installation, followed by GOG galaxy telling me the install is corrupt.

Uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times has made no difference.

Any ideas, anyone?

It's not the hard drive. New one does the exact same thing. This is the only thing that will not install on it. Other applications are fine.

What the gently caress?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Helith posted:

Count Reuvens treasure: That's the path that I felt caused the most damage to Triss (both physically and psychologically) she's getting tortured, but doesn't get the satisfaction of killing Menge personally or getting the actual info you need and were supposed to get. Next, to find Dandelion you have to track down the spy and Triss ends up having to torture him to get the info which she clearly finds really disturbing to do, so she's had the double whammy of losing her fingernails and then causing similar pain to someone else.
gently caress Dijkstra's treasure, Dandelion is more important and is your friend. The help Dijkstra gives you is pitiful in comparison to the help others give you and comes with prerequisites. gently caress him. He's not, and never has been, your friend.

Count Reuvens treasure and end spoilers:Wow, I didn't even think about it in those terms. I guess I'm just trying to game the system instead of thinking about what it actually entails. Hmm.

One last thing though, does this quest affect Dijkstra's role later with the Radovid thing?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ularg posted:

Never change.

What the gently caress are you wearing?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

What the gently caress are you wearing?

That's the gambison Geralt made from yarn on craft day at Kaer Morhen for papa Vesemir.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
At least it's the cool one with red decorative knots and not the lovely one with orange knots.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Pot Of Shoe posted:

That's the gambison Geralt made from yarn on craft day at Kaer Morhen for papa Vesemir.

It's why the cat is staring at me. It wants to play with my armor.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Pot Of Shoe posted:

I was never able to find any decent looking armour between the upgraded starter set and the griffin armour at level 11. All I had to wear around level 7-10 was that kind of awful gambeson that made me embarrased to walk around in public. Whenever villagers and townspeople stopped and looked at me, I often expected they would say "That is a nice shirt! For a tumbler to wear. To the village fair. Idiot."

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Geralt needs a Landsknecht outfit.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

The Sharmat posted:

Geralt needs a Landsknecht outfit.

Some nice Bloody Baron cosplay.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Nephthys posted:

Count Reuvens treasure and end spoilers:Wow, I didn't even think about it in those terms. I guess I'm just trying to game the system instead of thinking about what it actually entails. Hmm.

One last thing though, does this quest affect Dijkstra's role later with the Radovid thing?

Stuff about Dijkstra No, don't worry. What the outcome to the treasure quest determines is whether you can ask him for help to rescue Dandelion from the transport (he gives you some men and realistically makes no difference) and whether he gives you a thousand
crowns when you ask for help to fight the wild hunt at Kaer Morhen. What determines whether you continue in the plot to assassinate Radovid is how you deal with him in the Philippa thing later on.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Thanks. Nice to have people explain this clearly.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

There's a cave in Skellige that holds the diagram for a piece of either Mastercrafted Feline or Wolf gear. The same cave has multiple stone statues and levers, and when you pull the levers the statues rotate. Anyone know what that's for?

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Later in the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought that rotating the statues to the correct configuration unlocked the doors that let you get to the diagram. I could be wrong, because I solved the puzzle before exploring the cave fully. It's also possible I am confusing it with the sunstone crypt.

But these type of statues are found several places in Skellige and are always a puzzle to open something.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
There are also doors you can't open right? I'm not gonna spell it but if I was in a room with levers and doors, I know what I'd do.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I was never able to find any decent looking armour between the upgraded starter set and the griffin armour at level 11. All I had to wear around level 7-10 was that kind of awful gambeson that made me embarrased to walk around in public. Whenever villagers and townspeople stopped and looked at me, I often expected they would say "That is a nice shirt! For a tumbler to wear. To the village fair. Idiot."

The Nilfgaard armor sold by the quartermaster in the Baron's fort is pretty stylish.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

tyrelhill posted:

Later in the game.

I beat the game and don't recall revisiting that room at all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I absolutely love this game's commitment "realistic" weapons and armor. While a lot of the weapons are technically oversized compared to their real world equivalents, they aren't hugely disproportional fantasy designs like in most rpgs. I mean, in a game with hundreds of different swords, the blade shapes barely change. There's lots of armor that makes you look fat and the heraldry and colors are pretty realistic rather than being designed to look badass. It's incredibly refreshing after almost every other fantasy RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

I beat the game and don't recall revisiting that room at all.

Ah I was thinking it was that mirror cave.