Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1988-toyota-tacoma-sr5-v6-4x4-5-speed-access-cab/1085303244?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I guess Toyota tax goes exponentially by age at the dealer??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Buy that and the supra from country hills toyota and for the low low price of $90,000, you could be the coolest guy in 1990.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

At least Country Hills Toyota have the decency to admit the best vehicle they have on the lot is a 25 year old Supra.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is that ugly wide body RX7 also for a ton of money.

The rx7 was such a good looking car... And so easy to make ugly.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

How much of a bad idea would it be to trade my 2012 JK wrangler in on a 2005 standard cab RAM SRT-10? I owe 24k on the wrangler and a local dealership has one on the lot for 24k...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tommychu posted:

Yep. And two years ago there was actually a chance of finding one with a short cab, V8, 4x4, manual

Check your PMs - I'm checking out that truck in Morinville tomorrow early afternoon. Your shopping list is similar to what mine was a couple of months ago, but different enough I get to see ALL NEW horrible mispellings and lovely photos and a new personal favourite: "NO LOBOLLERS"

Also, some ads you probably saw but rejected because they only hit 3 out of 4 features (also high mileage ahoy!): http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/strathcona-county/2001-chevrolet-silverado-2500-pickup-truck/1082426433?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1999-chevrolet-c-k-pickup-2500-pickup-truck/1080767506?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

and one in BC: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/chevy-silverado/1085056304?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Actually - check out the pictures on that one in B.C. - did Chevy ever put the stick-shift on the steering column in trucks that recent? I suspect the seller may not understand the question "does this vehicle have a manual transmission?".

EDIT: You mentioned GM Piston Slap - but you can apparently cure that with a $12 bottle of SeaFoam! (warning! lovely video technique includes placing the camera's microphone inches from the beeper when he starts the truck. DING DING DING DING you have inserted your key! DING DING DING DING)

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 7, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah shopping for these trucks wasn't at all what I expected- even the bricknose Ford market isn't this bad. I lol'd at this one:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2000-gmc-sierra-1500-black-pickup-truck/1091073920?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Asking Duramax money for a 4.8 truck with 315k on the clock and using picture resolutions below the lowest my 6 year old point-n-shoot can put out? GLWS buddy.
I think if I bought a Quad cab/long box I'd have the neighbours more pissed than the time my brother thought burnouts in the condo parking lot was a good idea. Not necessarily a bad thing as I hate the exact people this would piss off, but also looking for a bit more fuel economy than the LQ4 can manage while pulling the longest configuration you could get these trucks in. And the other one, ugh optispark I'm good.
Yeah the newest truck I've seen with a column shift manual was a '73. That's an error.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man ExecuDork you've had a truck in Alberta for all of a month and you already have poo poo talking brand loyalty and price hunting down to an art.

I'm so proud.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man ExecuDork you've had a truck in Alberta for all of a month and you already have poo poo talking brand loyalty and price hunting down to an art.

I'm so proud.

Won't be long before he's asking about lift kits and the integrity of chinese 35" tires.

McTinkerson posted:

How much of a bad idea would it be to trade my 2012 JK wrangler in on a 2005 standard cab RAM SRT-10? I owe 24k on the wrangler and a local dealership has one on the lot for 24k...

I remember seeing extended cabs down into the high teens.

I also seem to remember owners of them asking how to get more than 200 miles out of a tank.

I'd say do it. Their value can only go up, gas prices can only go down, except when they go up, of course. I can't wait for the "hurricane season" excuse for $1.25 a liter.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

Won't be long before he's asking about lift kits and the integrity of chinese 35" tires.

drat, that hurts. I had the finest Chinese tires Walmart could put on same-day on my '88 Prelude. They went from shiny-with-manufacturer-factory-protectant and those skinny little knobs all around to worn-the-gently caress-out in one autocross event. And I've read just enough of Kastein's rants to know I don't want to go anywhere near a lift kit. My stock-height 4x4 Ranger is terrifying enough on highway on- and off-ramps as it is, any more of that weird unstable feeling (I'm subconsciously comparing to my dead BMW) and I don't know how I could live up to the expectations of the brotrucks all around me.

This is one of the Chinese tires I put on my Prelude then used to laminate the parking lot at Credit Union Centre (now Sasktel Centre):
01 Hairy tire by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Wandering further off-topic, I have a history of very poor tire decisions.

Edit:

I'm so proud.
I bought it in May! I've had 2 full months of endless driving back and forth on the Yellowhead, so I've seen every stupid variation on "Alberta Truck" there is in the 600-odd km between here and Saskatoon. Seriously, I've put more than 12 000 km on "Tarandus" (that's it's name :3: ) in 10-or-so weeks.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 7, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

I can't say no :stare:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone in the market for a unimog? I know a guy that knows a guy for a pretty reasonable price... I think in the 7k neighborhood.

E: I think it's this one http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/mercedes-unimog/1088763110?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

Anyone in the market for a unimog? I know a guy that knows a guy for a pretty reasonable price... I think in the 7k neighborhood.

E: I think it's this one http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/mercedes-unimog/1088763110?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Can it do 110 on the highway? Or is it geared for farm implements?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Truck shopping trip report:

As I was leaving the house, the seller of that truck I was looking at on behalf of Tommychu called me and asked to meet at a gas station on the western outskirts of Edmonton instead of at his home - he promised his son he'd take him to sort out the registration on his (the son) new-to-him truck. Lotsa vehicles changing hands in that family these days. I said no problem, and went on a little wandering drive because today was a beautiful day.

The truck raised no red flags for me - it looked and sounded pretty good for a 15-year-old truck selling for under $2500. No piston slap that I could hear, and on the test drive there were no alarming noises from anywhere - transfer case (4Hi and 4Lo both seem to work), differential, suspension, engine, all sounded fine. The son had deleted the muffler and replaced it with some flex pipe, so it was louder than a 4.8L V8 would normally be, but I asked about the cat and junior told me he'd just removed the muffler, the cat was still in place. It actually sounded pretty good, loud but not too loud and not harsh like some (idiotic) tunes I've encountered. The truck had a few issues - broken parking brake cable, CEL due to ABS problems, and a gaudy-as-gently caress bright blue / swirly shift knob, but nothing that jumped out at me as a major problem. New clutch, new slave & master cylinders, new battery and new waterpump all recently installed - the seller is a licenced mechanic "So I should be able to do it!" and works for CN; when I told him about Tommychu's work schedule he brightened up and told me he's working all weekend, too, so that should work out nicely if Tommychu decides to buy it.

I texted the relevant info to Tommychu, along with the VIN, and told him my recommendation: looks good!

Then I had a very ALBERTA afternoon, this province is wonderful in August, if you look past all the brotrucks. Which you can, on account of most of the brotrucks being parked for the weekend in favour of the non-silly-modded hauler F250/F350/2500/3500 pulling the family "camper" trailer.

EDIT: I forgot the most important part! The son was rockin' a classic 17-year-old's whispy-stache; every time I spoke to him I couldn't stop staring at his upper lip, because drat son, shave that poo poo! Was I that stupid-looking when I was 17? :ohdear:

slidebite posted:

That ad is nearly perfect. Exactly one photo, sideways, with requisite black dog in picture, plus "Run good"

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 8, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Truck shopping trip report:

As I was leaving the house, the seller of that truck I was looking at on behalf of Tommychu called me and asked to meet at a gas station on the western outskirts of Edmonton instead of at his home - he promised his son he'd take him to sort out the registration on his (the son) new-to-him truck. Lotsa vehicles changing hands in that family these days. I said no problem, and went on a little wandering drive because today was a beautiful day.

The truck raised no red flags for me - it looked and sounded pretty good for a 15-year-old truck selling for under $2500. No piston slap that I could hear, and on the test drive there were no alarming noises from anywhere - transfer case (4Hi and 4Lo both seem to work), differential, suspension, engine, all sounded fine. The son had deleted the muffler and replaced it with some flex pipe, so it was louder than a 4.8L V8 would normally be, but I asked about the cat and junior told me he'd just removed the muffler, the cat was still in place. It actually sounded pretty good, loud but not too loud and not harsh like some (idiotic) tunes I've encountered. The truck had a few issues - broken parking brake cable, CEL due to ABS problems, and a gaudy-as-gently caress bright blue / swirly shift knob, but nothing that jumped out at me as a major problem. New clutch, new slave & master cylinders, new battery and new waterpump all recently installed - the seller is a licenced mechanic "So I should be able to do it!" and works for CN; when I told him about Tommychu's work schedule he brightened up and told me he's working all weekend, too, so that should work out nicely if Tommychu decides to buy it.

I texted the relevant info to Tommychu, along with the VIN, and told him my recommendation: looks good!
You're awesome, ExecuDork. Got all the info I needed and more.
CarFax came up clean, so I sent him a (small, in case things go badly) deposit an hour ago. Current plan is to load up a bunch of tools and hitch with one of our drivers who happens to be heading to GP on Tuesday morning (have I mentioned I love working for a fleet? This loving job rules) and drive back, the weather looks good and I think it'd be fun. Funny though, when I asked dispatch about hitchin' a ride he offered to load the truck on a flat deck and haul it home for me for actually a pretty good rate. If that rate didn't represent a significant portion of the truck's value I'd be tempted. But I'm sure I'll continue buying wacky inoperable things in various parts of the province so it's good to know I've got the option.
And the shift knob will be replaced with an Eaton Fuller one ASAP, because they're awesome and I've still got a bunch in my junk drawer from working at the shithole tranny shop.
So any recommendations for my tool bag? not able to list everything I already know taking because I have to get to sleep, but this is my first time doing something like this and I haven't touched a modern GM product in a few years so I can't remember fastener sizes etc.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Remember a few months ago that brief cockroach chat?

Had a talk with a some maintenance guys at a food plant I deal with and this thread came back to my mind.

He told me their neighbors (another food plant) company has a serious cockroach problem and the bugs were spilling over to them. I remembered this thread and a few people saying Alberta didn't have any cockroaches. The guy literally :lol: in my face and said nope, they happen quite commonly in restaurants and food plants. The German Cockroach can be a real bugger.

I checked on the Alberta Health website and sure enough they specifically mention the German Cockroach being the most common (but implies not the only) cockroach in Alberta.

Not sure if it's only in the extreme south end of Alberta, but the AH site doesn't mention it so I have to assume they are tough bastards and can thrive elsewhere.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Remember a few months ago that brief cockroach chat?

I love AI - speaking of food plants, does the Frito Lay plant in Taber do tours? I think it would be appropriate for the local RX-7 club to go see how Doritos are made.

And on Dorito chat, you all should check out my recent parts haul in the Wankel thread.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've seen cockroaches in restaurants here but I assumed they were imported.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

I love AI - speaking of food plants, does the Frito Lay plant in Taber do tours? I think it would be appropriate for the local RX-7 club to go see how Doritos are made.

And on Dorito chat, you all should check out my recent parts haul in the Wankel thread.

Uh oh guys he's relapsing again. Time for another intervention.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Aaaand my ride got rebooked. Both my backup plans fell out as well. While scrambling to find some other way up there and considering a 1AM greyhound ride (the other morning bus is booked) I said gently caress it, a pickup truck isn't worth an aneurysm and pulled the plug, sent a message telling him I just can't get up there, sorry.
So just as I'm getting ready to live the rest of my life knowing that I'm 'Kijiji flake guy' he calls me and offers to deliver this loving truck. 'Just pay my Greyhound fare home, I had nothing to do tomorrow anyway'.
Wow. Dude is fuckin' delivering a $2400 truck to my doorstep, 3 hours away. Not even sure what to say about that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

considering how horrible most buyers on kijiji are, if you have someone with cash ready to go, you take it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Uh oh guys he's relapsing again. Time for another intervention.

I'm perfectly fine, I swear!

I other news, I need to liquidate some assets to afford another price drop on my house. The Goldwing is up on Kijiji: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1004134633

Any suggestions on the ad?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Powershift posted:

considering how horrible most buyers on kijiji are, if you have someone with cash ready to go, you take it.

This a million times. I've hand delivered poo poo within 20 minutes of the email when that one buyer not offering to trade me a used toilet shows up.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tommychu posted:

Aaaand my ride got rebooked. Both my backup plans fell out as well. While scrambling to find some other way up there and considering a 1AM greyhound ride (the other morning bus is booked) I said gently caress it, a pickup truck isn't worth an aneurysm and pulled the plug, sent a message telling him I just can't get up there, sorry.
So just as I'm getting ready to live the rest of my life knowing that I'm 'Kijiji flake guy' he calls me and offers to deliver this loving truck. 'Just pay my Greyhound fare home, I had nothing to do tomorrow anyway'.
Wow. Dude is fuckin' delivering a $2400 truck to my doorstep, 3 hours away. Not even sure what to say about that.
I didn't say anything before because I didn't want to push anything based on something so insubstantial as a gut feeling, but I got very good vibes from Seller & Son when I was checking out that truck.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Before I forget, Chumpcar is 100% confirmed for Castrol next year. Consider this your 365 day notice to get your rear end out there as a driver/crew member/spectator.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

McTinkerson posted:

I'm perfectly fine, I swear!

I other news, I need to liquidate some assets to afford another price drop on my house. The Goldwing is up on Kijiji: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1004134633

Any suggestions on the ad?

Only complaint would be you have $4k OBO in the ad and $3k as the listed price. If you have the body panels you took off still that might incentive somebody more looking for a classic. I've got the biggest hardon for old honda bikes and I would be way more willing to throw down for one if it was complete.

That being said my dad has an old v65 Sabre that I'm just waiting for him to get tired of maintaining. He spends more time prepping that thing every spring and fall then he does actually driving it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Only complaint would be you have $4k OBO in the ad and $3k as the listed price. If you have the body panels you took off still that might incentive somebody more looking for a classic. I've got the biggest hardon for old honda bikes and I would be way more willing to throw down for one if it was complete.

You should buy McTinkerson's bike because it's loving sweet. I think the original fairing is in his basement, if you want it.

You two would get on IRL like a house on fire.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

That being said my dad has an old v65 Sabre that I'm just waiting for him to get tired of maintaining. He spends more time prepping that thing every spring and fall then he does actually driving it.

Totally missed that, description now properly reflects the price. I don't have all the fairings, hard cases etc. Sold them all to fund all the deferred maintenance + flat tracker seat/LED lighting/handle bars. Technically, the GL1100 did come as a naked from the factory. This specific one was an interstate model - that means it has an uprated electrical system - it can handle a FI fuel pump and microsquirt actually.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You should buy McTinkerson's bike because it's loving sweet. I think the original fairing is in his basement, if you want it.

You two would get on IRL like a house on fire.

I honestly would if I had two dimes to rub together, I'm trying to save up to move to a townhouse and between that and karting.

I can't imagine I wouldn't get on with him, the man has a Goldwing.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Before I forget, Chumpcar is 100% confirmed for Castrol next year. Consider this your 365 day notice to get your rear end out there as a driver/crew member/spectator.

Are you running another doritomobile? Or is that even a question worth asking? I have felt the itch to race again, especially cheap and fun wheel to wheel racing.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Are you running another doritomobile? Or is that even a question worth asking? I have felt the itch to race again, especially cheap and fun wheel to wheel racing.

We sure are - Team Bandit is now fielding two cars. I'm crew chief for the second car and as far as I know there are seats available for next year. 24 hour endurance racing is not for everyone.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

McTinkerson posted:

We sure are - Team Bandit is now fielding two cars. I'm crew chief for the second car and as far as I know there are seats available for next year. 24 hour endurance racing is not for everyone.

If nobody takes up a seat I'd be interested. Should have a decent amount of kart races under my belt this time next year and I'd relish the opportunity to race something that doesn't spin round on you because you lock up the brakes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like i'm going to miss getting the f-150 into the michener allen auction in edmonton this weekend.

looking through the listings though,

http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=11/8/2015%5E0246bacd42dc46b99169cf552680f4b3

that's gotta be the cleanest 300k car i've ever seen.

Really nothing else of interest.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
So I impulse bought a rig truck at Regal a bunch of months ago:

$2100 for a 2008 2500 HD seemed like a hell of a deal. The thing was in limp mode, but it didn't tick and the exhaust was clean. I figured it would make a good project drivetrain. An LS6 with 6L90E and 14 bolt rear end for $2100? Sweet. It turned out that the throttle position motor harness was clipped off, and after I replaced it the truck ran great. I decided that the truck was probably fixable with junkyard parts, and it would be a learning experience, so what the hell, I'll fix it! $7500 more, 9 months and countless labour hours later and we're almost finished:

Granted, I did buy quite a few tools during the process and wasted a ton of body shop supplies, but I gained a ton of experience for when I have a car I care about fixing. The truck runs great, but wow did I make the wrong decision. Here's some valuable lessons I can pass on:

- Finding body parts for late model trucks is like finding water in the desert. Every dealership and bodyshop will snap up parts faster than you can. I spent $2000 buying a burnt out bed and then sanding and re-painting it. There was literally NOTHING else available, short of buying another truck.

- You will never get all the dirt out. I had to do the rear diff seals and the transmission seal. Every part looked like it had been battered in dirt before being reassembled. It took 45 minutes to pound the drive shaft yoke off the rear diff because all the splines were filled with dirt. I had to scrape the trans pan and mating surface for 20 minutes with a razor blade before reassembling it with a brand new "reusable" trans pan gasket.

- Riggers abuse the absolute poo poo out of vehicles. 184k and this truck needed everything. They managed to break a shock mount off the rear axle. Run away from any vehicle that's been to Fort Mac

- Good god don't buy a truck that's been to Fort Mac

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Boss truck, good work on the project.

How much would a brand new bed from GM have cost?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boss truck, good work on the project.

How much would a brand new bed from GM have cost?

a bajillion dollars.

There are a ton of take-offs everywhere, but their owners think they're worth their weight in gold, and let them sit on the ground for 10 years before giving them up and selling them for less than the price of a whole truck.

When i leave some logging roads with the truck caked in mud, i drop the bags for the last km of gravel road and it usually shakes a bunch of the wet mud off. you could probably accomplish the same by wedging a log between the diff and frame and shaking it up a bit.

I've thought about doing this with the BC coal mine trucks that come through MA in calgary. there's a place in edmonton selling brand new take-off long boxes for super duty's for $1k, so $4k for the truck and $1k for a box, but at the end would you have anything other than a $5k truck?

Nomex posted:

So I impulse bought a rig truck at Regal a bunch of months ago:

:clint::respek::clint:

I did the same with a CN truck a few years ago, i'm currently doing a mini resto here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734747

Luckily mine is old enough that they come through the pick n pull. $60 for a near mint front bumper and all that. My box is also complete enough that i can wait out on replacement until i find something salvagable for $200.

my dad has a truck identical to yours in tan, if you haven't yet, change the transfer case fluid, and check carefully for aluminum shavings. there are a couple parts in them that like to eat their way through the case, and you'll never find a replacement sitting on the ground anywhere.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Sold my current place! Possession of a 26' oversized double garage with some living quarters attached occurs October 2 - there will be a 4 post hoist in it by x-mas. :hawaaaafap:

If something goes sideways between now and then - there will be death and destruction. I NEEEED to be able to start wrenching again. Plus the local RX-7 club needs a new home since 4kruzn is moving south.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Sold my current place! Possession of a 26' oversized double garage with some living quarters attached occurs October 2 - there will be a 4 post hoist in it by x-mas. :hawaaaafap:

If something goes sideways between now and then - there will be death and destruction. I NEEEED to be able to start wrenching again. Plus the local RX-7 club needs a new home since 4kruzn is moving south.

Yesssssssssss!

Incoming text.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm psyched, when can I start leaving pseudorunning hoopties in your compound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I'm thinking I might start flipping RX's. There's plenty of sub $1k RX-7's that don't need much other than rotary specific TLC to get going again. Hoopties will have to wait until after the hoist is in.