Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Countblanc posted:

I feel like team-based games are the largest unmet demand. Every time someone asks here people sorta shuffle their feet and halfheartedly mention Ladies and Gentlemen and maybe Dice Duels, and both of those really want at least 6 people.

I think that Goblins Inc was at least on the right track towards this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Codenames is a team game, right? And it's a light and lean game, approachable.. now does it come in a compact box..

Vlaada :allears:

The box is, in fact, wonderfully compact. It could probably go even smaller, but it's a size where I have no problem transporting our storing it in any way

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

blackmongoose posted:

The box is, in fact, wonderfully compact. It could probably go even smaller, but it's a size where I have no problem transporting our storing it in any way

The box is entirely too small, because its profile doesn't line up correctly with the other games on my Designated Vlaada Shelves. :spergin:

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Codenames is definitely going to be my go-to team/group game when it comes out.

In the meantime I'm gonna proxy it up with Snake Oil cards though.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Countblanc posted:

I feel like team-based games are the largest unmet demand. Every time someone asks here people sorta shuffle their feet and halfheartedly mention Ladies and Gentlemen and maybe Dice Duels, and both of those really want at least 6 people.

Dice Duels with 4 is one of the most masochistic games ever made.

Dice Duels with 2 (each playing a fighter) is hilarious though.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

The box is entirely too small, because its profile doesn't line up correctly with the other games on my Designated Vlaada Shelves. :spergin:

Pretty sure it's the same box profile as Bunny Bunny Moose Moose.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Sloober posted:

The original Clue's lead pipe was actually made out of lead. Stopped for obvious reasons.

Also i hope Archipelago gets back in stock soon, was planning on getting it and Argent through CSI.

I did notice that the CSI booth at Gencon had several copies of Archipelago left on Sunday. So unless someone bought them later that afternoon, they should technically have some in stock. Strange... I didn't even buy anything from them while there, but I did ask for and receive a nice blue tote bag.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions for storage? All my games are piled in a corner right now and I would love to buy some sort of bookshelf to put them on.

IKEA is your best friend. Here is a comparison between three product lines :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE-A0Fu70gQ

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The new Nornas is pretty sexy. Bare wood. We have a couple

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I got some 6 months ago that looked like the kallax, but were painted pine instead of the veneered particleboard. I can't find them online anymore :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

djfooboo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE-A0Fu70gQ

Go big or go home.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Just toss everything into Talisman box.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

This guy, specifically: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40280937/

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Kallax is better. More modular.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

djfooboo posted:

Thing I took away from that video is that he said the Original Arkham Horror is more luck dependent!

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Going back to that Splendor winning the BGG award discussion from a page ago, I think another resource becoming scarce is the time/energy to learn, teach, and play heavier games. My impression is that the heavier type of game is much more likely to become saturated than a game like Splendor. I wonder if we're on the edge of a more approachable games trend. Not necessarily because heavier games are any less appreciated, but because the market becomes saturated at a rate much higher than the approachable games because they take a non-trivial factor more effort to learn, teach, and play and are less likely to be "given a whirl".

For example, in prior years, the golden geek was awarded to Terra Mystica, Eclipse, Dominant Species, Hansa Teutonica, Dominion, and Agricola. When I see a game like Forbidden Stars come out, I'm apprehensive because I have a Dominant Species lurking in my closet that doesn't get played enough and I will probably need to teach at least one person the next time I want to play it, likely. Except, instead of just Dominant Species, it's Dominant Species, Chaos in the old World, Eclipse, Clash of Cultures, Game of Thrones, etc.

And then, if Forbidden Stars turns out to not be anything special relative to those other beasts I have, then I've wasted time that could have been spent on the stone cold classics. And Forbidden Stars actually appears to be good! Now take something like Forge Wars, which I'm not so sure about, but is a big investment of time and effort.

Whereas, a game in Splendor's weight class, I know I can play that whenever I want. I literally bought Splendor, read the rules while setting it up, and then played it within 10 minutes of opening the box with my wife. I probably only realistically should try one game in the Forbidden Stars weight class this year, whereas I could try a dozen Splendor games.

Note, I actually think that if Roll for the Galaxy was released earlier in 2014, it would have probably given Splendor a run for it's money and it's probably a better example of the approachable game I have no reservations teaching or adding to my collection, for me personally.

I've actually thought about putting weights in some components like the plastic stuff from FFG T&E, to sort of give it that faux ~majestic weight~ similar to putting metal inside of poker chips.

I think that this is spot on. I'd love to have more big games, but it's hard as hell to get four people together for four hours or more for a single game. Even something like Archipelago can be a real challenge to bring to the table.

That's one of the reasons I'm loving Marco Polo right now. It's got a fantastic amount of decisions and options packed into a game that can predictably play in an hour.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I got to try a neat little game on the weekend, Deep Sea Adventure. It's a small push your luck game from the same publisher as A Fake Artist Goes to New York. It's basically Infiltration distilled to the essence of the game.

Everyone starts on the submarine, and there is a trail of treasure tokens leading away, each worth a hidden number of points, with the more valuable ones being further away. On your turn, you roll two dice (ranging from 1-3 on each) and see how far you can go. When you land on a token, you can choose to pick it up, but picking up tokens reduces how far you can move. Picking up tokens also starts to use up a shared oxygen supply. When you decide you've gone far enough, you can choose to start heading back to the submarine. If you make it back before the oxygen runs out you can keep your treasure tokens, otherwise, you drop them, and they go to the end of the trail for the next round. Any empty spaces are removed, making the whole trail shorter, and everyone starts again from the submarine.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. It was fun moving out, picking up a treasure, then while I was turning back, picking up more treasures to screw someone who was trying to go for the better treasures. I think the best part about it though, is that it comes in an adorable tiny box.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
On the topic of getting heavier games to the table, I think that game designers should start designing components in a way such that the game can be learned without reading the rules. A lot of games use icons on the board as reminders of what things do anyway, and sometimes indicators of what to do during a turn. If you're familiar with modern board games already you can usually extrapolate 90% of the rules from those plus your player aid card. Imagine if you could just unfold the board, punch out the components and put them in the designated spots, arrange or shuffle the decks the way the 4 - player symbol on the board tells you to and then you just look around the board for how to start and what to do from there.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Downside is extra complexity in terms of actually making things readable. Lewis & Clark does a decent job of having fairly intuitive cards without even giving a player aid, but the finer points of a turn definitely won't be clear without going through the book.

That might be more of an argument for a solid 1-page "How to play!" on the back cover of rulebooks though.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Andarel posted:

That might be more of an argument for a solid 1-page "How to play!" on the back cover of rulebooks though.

As long as they aren't billed as "quick-start rules" that are neither quick nor teach the game properly.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

On the topic of getting heavier games to the table, I think that game designers should start designing components in a way such that the game can be learned without reading the rules.

Okay. How would you design the components to implement this for, say, Battlestar Galactica? Or, going to the other end of the spectrum, for Hanabi?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
It would be nice if at least obvious reminders were included. Like in Arkham Horror (which we still enjoy a lot), there is no reason there couldn't be little reminders about what exits the game on the giant loving board when certain levels of terror are reached, or have the limit formula next to the outskirts. Stuff like that. Especially things that can change game to game.

That's why I like Mage Knight so much. As many rules as there are, besides the basics you don't have to worry about anything until you get to it, where you just reference the card. If that insane mash-up can do it, no one has an excuse.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Played my first 2 player game of Mottainai tonight. I like it, but teaching it is a bit of a pain. I was actually getting really frustrated because I could perfectly see how it plays in my head, but conveying that information was for some reason incredibly difficult. I'm usually the go-to explainer of games in my groups, so this was an odd and somehow horrifying feeling. I'm chalking it up to it being a Chudyk game. I do really like it though, as it feels like a much more clean and crisp version of Glory to Rome.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It would be nice if at least obvious reminders were included. Like in Arkham Horror (which we still enjoy a lot), there is no reason there couldn't be little reminders about what exits the game on the giant loving board when certain levels of terror are reached, or have the limit formula next to the outskirts. Stuff like that. Especially things that can change game to game.

That's why I like Mage Knight so much. As many rules as there are, besides the basics you don't have to worry about anything until you get to it, where you just reference the card. If that insane mash-up can do it, no one has an excuse.

Problem with MK rulebook is that it's sometimes scattered between setup and actual actions taken, so if you need to reference something it can take a while of leafing through the book to try and find where specific rules are. I remember a friend taking ages to figure out the details on exactly how fighting Volkaire worked in the campaigns (how units were assigned, how to calculate the attack, who has to defend against the attack, etc.)

Those quickstart rules are getting more popular, though. Eldritch Horror does a pretty good job of it, and FFG's been distributing the double rulebooks which are nice.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Okay, so I sold Dead of Winter at Gencon. Now the highest rated game I own according to BGG is Battlestar Galactica at #29. If I wanted to buy one game out of the top 10-20, which should it be? Hopefully something in print, so accessible. Help me Something Awful Goons, you're my only hope! If you just want to suggest your favorite of the bunch, it's fine. Only thing that bugs me about games is heavy dice rolling.

^^ I would like to get Mage Knight, but a buddy owns it. Haven't gotten to play it yet though.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Like in Arkham Horror (which we still enjoy a lot), there is no reason there couldn't be little reminders about what exits the game on the giant loving board when certain levels of terror are reached

Your larger point is entirely correct, but Arkham Horror does have these reminders! Certain points on the terror track are coloured the same colour as the city regions, and that's when the appropriate shop closes.

Clash of Cultures + Expansion PBP is up.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Of the top 20, Caylus and Puerto Rico stand out as classics amongst the newer stuff.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

QnoisX posted:

Okay, so I sold Dead of Winter at Gencon. Now the highest rated game I own according to BGG is Battlestar Galactica at #29. If I wanted to buy one game out of the top 10-20, which should it be? Hopefully something in print, so accessible. Help me Something Awful Goons, you're my only hope! If you just want to suggest your favorite of the bunch, it's fine. Only thing that bugs me about games is heavy dice rolling.

^^ I would like to get Mage Knight, but a buddy owns it. Haven't gotten to play it yet though.

The only games that aren't good games, according to the opinions of an internet stranger, are Robinson Crusoe and Dead of Winter. There are some there I don't particularly like (Power Grid, Race for the Galaxy, Puerto Rico), but I can't really call them bad games. Whether the rest are "top 25" material is very, very questionable, doubly so since that ranking is weighted by popularity, but after that it's down to personal taste, weight class, player count, etc.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Gimnbo posted:

Of the top 20, Caylus and Puerto Rico stand out as classics amongst the newer stuff.

Puerto Rico hasn't really held up for us, but Caylus hits the table a lot and everyone really likes it. I wish Attia would design more stuff, Spyrium was interesting.

The Top 20 are mostly just good games in general. I'll probably never play Castles of Burgundy again and 7 Wonders has overstayed its welcome, but Caylus/Agricola are great (Caverna gets the honorable mention but we like Caylus more than the other two), Brass is fun and super unique, and Through the Ages is pretty much best-in-class for what it is. Ranks 20-30 are where it's at for me though.

I like Robinson Crusoe but never really want to play it specifically, and Dead of Winter's decent enough but it hasn't lived up to the hype it's generated compared to a lot of other stuff. Crossroad cards sounded a lot more interesting than they actually played, unfortunately.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Power Grid is really long and really boring imo.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Kai Tave posted:

Power Grid is really long and really boring imo.

As far as heavy economy games, it's a pretty nice pure economic thing if you like buying things for cheap and playing some interesting markets. Personally I'd play Panamax or Planet Steam over Power Grid, but neither of those really play 5-6 well.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Power Grid is probably out for me anyway. I was planning to purchase it originally, but then two different friends got it. So if I want to play it, I can.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

If you're looking to place workers, Caylus is best-in-class. If you're looking to place less workers but want a nicer game with less suffering, take a look at Agricola or Caverna.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Andarel posted:

If you're looking to place workers, Caylus is best-in-class. If you're looking to place less workers but want a nicer game with less suffering, take a look at Agricola or Caverna.

I've heard that Agricola is getting an anniversary edition next year with improvements to the cards or something like that. I dunno if it would be worth waiting around a bit on that. Caverna is the one without cards. Why is Caverna so very expensive? Even Dungeon Lords Anniversary was cheaper and it comes with massive amounts of stuff!

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

QnoisX posted:

I've heard that Agricola is getting an anniversary edition next year with improvements to the cards or something like that. I dunno if it would be worth waiting around a bit on that. Caverna is the one without cards. Why is Caverna so very expensive? Even Dungeon Lords Anniversary was cheaper and it comes with massive amounts of stuff!

Caverna comes with a metric shitton of stuff, partly because it's got a pile of different resources and partly because they decided to add enough player pieces for the 7-masochist use case. It's probably the second-densest box I've seen after a Terra Mystica box that had acrylic inserts slotted in. I haven't heard anything about an Agricola upgraded edition though.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Power Grid has tepid auctions, tepid route building, and is almost mind-numbingly straight forward and one-note. The only thing going for it is the resource market which really deserves a better game bolted on to it. I would rather play Chicago Express for route building and auctions, and I'd rather play an 18xx for something longer. I'll only play PG to humor the one dude in my group who can't get a handle on the the heavier econ games.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

cenotaph posted:

Power Grid has tepid auctions, tepid route building, and is almost mind-numbingly straight forward and one-note. The only thing going for it is the resource market which really deserves a better game bolted on to it. I would rather play Chicago Express for route building and auctions, and I'd rather play an 18xx for something longer. I'll only play PG to humor the one dude in my group who can't get a handle on the the heavier econ games.

What's a game with better auctions and a comparable (or better, obviously) resource market? Because those are the things I like about Power Grid and am totally open to a better experience.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

cenotaph posted:

Straightforward and one note describes my Power Grid experience perfectly. Once I figured out my general grid layout and expansion pattern during auctions and resource purchasing I said to myself "well it looks like I've actually secured myself the lead and unless I drastically gently caress up then I've probably won." And I did, having never played a game before. The rounds that followed were basically a formality and at no point did I feel challenged or threatened by someone else overtaking me.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

homullus posted:

What's a game with better auctions and a comparable (or better, obviously) resource market? Because those are the things I like about Power Grid and am totally open to a better experience.

What about Keyflower? It has bidding on tiles and such. Suppose there is also worker placement to do, so not sure. Need to find a good playthrough video. There's currently a Kickstarter for the reprint though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

homullus posted:

Planet Steam has more interesting auctions - though one of them is almost entirely a player-controlled trap depending on how the Venturer plays, the other 4 are usually very relevant - and one of the best markets I've seen in an econ game. It's also super cheap if you watch for FFG sales. Downside is it pretty much needs exactly 4.

Market in Keyflower is very different than that in Power Grid, though imo Keyflower's the better game by a solid margin. Keyflower is great though, so that's not really a major slight to PG.