Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Monolith. posted:

How the hell do I stop this intro wagon from bugging the hell out and going airborne?

In general, start a game and save after the intro sequence. Use that as a base to begin modding. There is at least one clean, unmodded save on Nexus.

Alternately, use an alternate start mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

nessin posted:

What new mod are you talking about? (Which extends the Mage College Storyline)

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/68406/

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Monolith. posted:

How the hell do I stop this intro wagon from bugging the hell out and going airborne?

Try enabling Vsync to cap your framerate if you are using a 60hz monitor. Alternatively, use nVidia Inspector to cap it at 58hz if that doesn't work for you.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

nessin posted:

Summerset Isles.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

nessin posted:

Sorry, I should have linked it. It's in the hot files right now on Nexus so I figured people knew. It is indeed Summerset Isle.

Edit: aaaand I'm the 3rd person to answer that. Sorry, I'm not on it today.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

Fully voice acted.
This has become more of a reason not to install a mod for me than almost anything else people put in a description. I have no problem at all with silent dialogue and would prefer it over most of the voice acting I've heard in the mods I've tried. Still, having something to do after becoming the Archmage sounds like a pretty fun reason to make a new mage character and do the college questline again. Wonder if my computer can even run this though, jeez.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Everything Burrito posted:

This has become more of a reason not to install a mod for me than almost anything else people put in a description. I have no problem at all with silent dialogue and would prefer it over most of the voice acting I've heard in the mods I've tried. Still, having something to do after becoming the Archmage sounds like a pretty fun reason to make a new mage character and do the college questline again. Wonder if my computer can even run this though, jeez.

Youuuu are not wrong. I hope they are better at mod writing than they are putting together sentences in the description. Some of that is dangerously close to stream of consciousness, swapping through like five topics in a sentence.

The thing that bugs me the most about voice acting is sound quality, really. I don't want to feel like someone on an old fashioned tape recorder is yelling at me in an empty room. The only mod with voice acting that 100% did not bug me sound quality-wise is Moon and Star.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 5, 2015

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Monolith. posted:

Don't. I had this problem last week. I wandered off and did something else for awhile. When I checked up on it, it had made it to the first dialogue prompt where you can answer. Haven't had a problem since.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That is related to if you change the timescale at all. Either use an alternate start mod (or Dime's Quickstart, which is rad) or don't change your timescale until after the intro.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gyshall posted:

That is related to if you change the timescale at all. Either use an alternate start mod (or Dime's Quickstart, which is rad) or don't change your timescale until after the intro.

It is also related to some completely and entirely random other things. Though anything that changes Helgen in any way can do it, too.

LLSix posted:

Don't. I had this problem last week. I wandered off and did something else for awhile. When I checked up on it, it had made it to the first dialogue prompt where you can answer. Haven't had a problem since.

Haha, I had this happen and it killed the Imperial captain woman. The cart just shot off on an angle at one point where she was standing and crushed her dead right there. The intro went on like it was supposed to. Her lines were just missing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Helgen sequence really shows off the game at its worst (a tram ride with clunky exposition), and after the first time I've never seen it. Use Skyrim Unbound instead.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

It is also related to some completely and entirely random other things. Though anything that changes Helgen in any way can do it, too.
Mods that add new enemy spawns near the route the cart takes can also cause the sequence to break. Heck, just having a high fps will do it.
It's amazing just how fragile that sequence is.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Raygereio posted:

It's amazing just how fragile the Creation Engine is.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Raygereio posted:

Mods that add new enemy spawns near the route the cart takes can also cause the sequence to break. Heck, just having a high fps will do it.
It's amazing just how fragile that sequence is.

Pretty much just par for the course for the engine *gets launched through a locked door by trying to use it*

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The Helgen sequence really shows off the game at its worst (a tram ride with clunky exposition), and after the first time I've never seen it. Use Skyrim Unbound instead.

I have a hard time deciding whether Skyrim or Oblivion has the worst intro sequence of the series. Daggerfall definitely has the best one though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Describe it to a non-Daggerfall player.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Once I found out you could skip the cart intro via mods I never watched it again. I can do any number of quests and dungeons over and over but I hate going through the intro.

edit: phone autocorrect :argh:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 5, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If you want to inject some levity, you can jump on Alduin's head when he breaks the tower wall. Always good for a laugh.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Describe it to a non-Daggerfall player.

Awesome 90's era FMV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niU1bRqxrIU

Basically it's just that intro, then you create your character, and then you are immediately thrown into a proper dungeon to escape from. It's nice because it doesn't waste your time or anything, right down to business.

E: It never ... arrived...

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 5, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Speaking of voice acting, a good bit of Interesting NPCs audio could do with a hiss filter.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Pretty sure this is just the opposite of rose-colored glasses at work - I remember being impressed with it, the first time I saw it. Conflicts with mods and repeat viewings take the shine off any intro or tutorial level.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah, I think the whole intro sequence is pretty well done. Definitely more interesting that the cut and paste go to [dungeon] retrieve [item] receive [gold] that makes up a lot of the game.

Making it unskippable in a game where half the fun is making tons of characters though...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

No it's terrible. I spent the entire thing laughing at how dumb and poo poo it was.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I did a run with the Sofia follower mod recently and thought the voice acting was pretty good. Shame she doesn't have much of a personality beyond making high-five sexual jokes every 3 minutes though.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I just made a clean save right after the cart as suggested and it works just fine now.

Is there a way to reverse the mouse buttons so right MB controls my right hand and left MB controls my left?

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Monolith. posted:

I just made a clean save right after the cart as suggested and it works just fine now.

Is there a way to reverse the mouse buttons so right MB controls my right hand and left MB controls my left?

Oh this is easily done under the controls menu. I did exactly this, in fact, before I realized I was going to be playing this game so much it was worth investing in an actual wireless controller adapter.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

I did a run with the Sofia follower mod recently and thought the voice acting was pretty good. Shame she doesn't have much of a personality beyond making high-five sexual jokes every 3 minutes though.

The sound quality was pretty good, but her voice was terrible and everything she said made me want to gouge her eyes out.

Also, the modder bitched at Novajam in the comments on his video of it before chickening out and deleting his comments. In fact, it seems the fellow REALLY likes bitching at people who don't like his mod.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is Interesting NPCs really worth it in the long run? By that I mean I'm finding some of the extensive conversations just boring and dull, to the point where I'm pretty much fed up with it. I'm sure there are some amazing gems out there (I've probably seen a couple that I might not have recognized as INPCs in the first place) but I'm finding myself spending a lot of time talking to NPCs randomly just to see if they're new and usually ending up regreting it when I find one that gets overly wordy for no end result. I like dialogue and storytelling, but I like it in a direct compact form and that seems to be the opposite of what Interesting NPCs is trying to do in most cases.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

nessin posted:

Is Interesting NPCs really worth it in the long run? By that I mean I'm finding some of the extensive conversations just boring and dull, to the point where I'm pretty much fed up with it. I'm sure there are some amazing gems out there (I've probably seen a couple that I might not have recognized as INPCs in the first place) but I'm finding myself spending a lot of time talking to NPCs randomly just to see if they're new and usually ending up regreting it when I find one that gets overly wordy for no end result. I like dialogue and storytelling, but I like it in a direct compact form and that seems to be the opposite of what Interesting NPCs is trying to do in most cases.

It has quite a few good quests, if you're interested in that. Some of them have some odd prerequisites, but the mod's website has a guide that can tell you what you need to do. Also, if you want to quickly tell if an NPC is from that mod, you could download Mfg Console and click on them to find out where they came from. It's faster than checking the first two letters of their ID and cross-referencing it with your load order.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Midnight Voyager posted:

The sound quality was pretty good, but her voice was terrible and everything she said made me want to gouge her eyes out.

Also, the modder bitched at Novajam in the comments on his video of it before chickening out and deleting his comments. In fact, it seems the fellow REALLY likes bitching at people who don't like his mod.

If there's a Voiced Companion Mod Bingo, singing has to be a tile on there.

also one of the related videos for that was Novajam's review of the Dark Brotherhood Resurrection. Wwwwwwwow. How did I miss and/or forget that masterpiece of mod making? Not every mod has a Kickstarter leading to a C&D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQN5BYJo5J4

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I now have 35 more plugins than the game can load, and that's with a bunch of things merged, and dummy ESPs for BSAs unchecked. :negative:

e: 36, I still need to make a bashed patch for levelled lists.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I now have 35 more plugins than the game can load, and that's with a bunch of things merged, and dummy ESPs for BSAs unchecked. :negative:

e: 36, I still need to make a bashed patch for levelled lists.

You've done it, you are winning at modding.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Through judicious disabling of fluff stuff (sorry Uncle Sheogorath :() and finding 4 more mods to merge, I've managed to get it down to exactly FF. Does anyone know if being exactly at the limit will cause problems? Should I find one more to either merge or ditch?

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
FF is used by the engine in-game, so yes you will have to stop at FE.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Your current gamestate ( or your save, if you want to think about it that way ) consumes a slot.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Heh. I thought her voice was fine. As for the asinine poo poo she was saying and how often she was saying it, however, it was amazing how quickly I found myself wanting Mjoll back.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Through judicious disabling of fluff stuff (sorry Uncle Sheogorath :() and finding 4 more mods to merge, I've managed to get it down to exactly FF. Does anyone know if being exactly at the limit will cause problems? Should I find one more to either merge or ditch?

Why can't you merge Uncle Sheogorath etc.? Practically anything can be merged now I think. What's your modlist/load order?

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Heh. I thought her voice was fine. As for the asinine poo poo she was saying and how often she was saying it, however, it was amazing how quickly I found myself wanting Mjoll back.

I kept increasing the time period between her jabberings until the slider was maxed out. I still found her annoying.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

All I want from a follower is to be relatively quiet, have good combat skills, have three pairs of breasts, two ginormous dicks, and a partridge in a pear tree

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I can't use any followers that don't constantly spout four year old self referential memes that weren't even funny when they were relevant.

Fortunately every voiced follower I've found does exactly that yes good thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

FutonForensic posted:

All I want from a follower is to be relatively quiet, have good combat skills, have three pairs of breasts, two ginormous dicks, and a partridge in a pear tree

Well, that and not be a loving retard that runs screaming into battle when I'm trying to quietly snipe everyone in the room, and run over obvious traps and poo poo. That would be nice.

• Locked thread