Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Iron Chitlin posted:

I remember reading in some gaming magazine that Ray was built to destroy other Metal Gears and, even as a hyped up ~15 year old, I remember thinking that Ray looked really stupid and would never be able to take down a Rex; I choose to believe that the Metal Gear fight sequence in MGS4 was Kojima's way of saying that he agreed with me. Also I was actually spoiled on the Raiden switcheroo before I played the game, and I always felt that knowing that beforehand allowed me to enjoy the game more than I would have had I been "tricked."

Otacon actually mentioned the fact that Ray is an anti-Metal Gear Metal Gear. However, I think that Ray was never meant to take on Rex one-on-one. I'm pretty sure Ray was meant to be a less expensive model to produce in mass quantities, so you could really quickly have a squad of Rays that you send after each Rex that shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's also a lot more maneuverable than Rex, and not just because it can swim.

Ray losing in MGS4 is one of my biggest complaints about MGS4, and not just because I like Ray. It literally makes no sense. Rex got blown up and was rusting with no maintenance whatsoever for years. How the gently caress did it beat anything, let alone a Metal Gear designed to destroy it?

edit:

Really need to get a new keyboard with a fully functional spacebar.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 6, 2015

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

It's also a lotmore maneuverable than Rex, and not just because it can swim.

Ray losing in MGS4 is one of my biggest complaints about MGS4, and not just because I like Ray. It literally makes no sense. Rex got blown up and was rusting with no maintainencewhatsoever for years. How the gently caress did it beat anything, let alone a Metal Gear designed to destroy it?

The guy who designed RAY was a hack?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

NikkolasKing posted:

It's also a lot more maneuverable than Rex, and not just because it can swim.

Ray losing in MGS4 is one of my biggest complaints about MGS4, and not just because I like Ray. It literally makes no sense. Rex got blown up and was rusting with no maintenance whatsoever for years. How the gently caress did it beat anything, let alone a Metal Gear designed to destroy it?

edit:

Really need to get a new keyboard with a fully functional spacebar.

RAY obviously wasn't designed by an anime-loving, mom-loving, pants-peeing nerd. Had the RAY such a designer, it would have won.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Ah yes. The real show starts here :allears:

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
Yes more Metal Gear everyone take a drink!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Requesting to add "Jack" to the drinking game once the second chapter starts. Also, please show Otacon's Mei Ling impersonations, they're great.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Finally got to watch the video. Been so looking forward to this. A few details I remember you missing flatout:
-for some reason shooting out the ketchup bottles in the galley creates a full alert status, bringing in a squad. Also, there's a chaff grenade under the table. (Also boo for not going into the store room for more tech effects!)
-because Kojima's a perv, sleepy Olga has a wet t-shirt effect. Whoo, let's all ogle the nips on the pregnant lady you just shot with a shitton of tranquilizers. Thanks Kojima. I also want to say that the difficulty changes how long before she starts loving with you, like throwing the tarp and stuff.
-there are a couple magazines that when shot fall open side up. I want to say they have some more girly spreads in them. Also, if you talk to Otacon about the tv again, he nerds out about it being a plasma tv. Remember, this was 2001, when flat screen tech was like, brand new. Also it looks kinda cool if you short it out by shooting it. Will you be showing off that there's a different patrol if you enter the lounge from downstairs? (Not just different positions, they have separate dog tags).

Finally seconding showing off as many of the hilarious save messages as possible, including the easter egg if you save enough times.

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 7, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Choco1980 posted:

-because Kojima's a perv, sleepy Olga has a wet t-shirt effect. Whoo, let's all ogle the nips on the pregnant lady you just shot with a shitton of tranquilizers. Thanks Kojima. I also want to say that the difficulty changes how long before she starts loving with you, like throwing the tarp and stuff.

I think she starts loving with you around the same time based on her stamina level, but on Extreme mode, you cannot damage the tarp or the light. You have to keep hitting Olga regardless until she hits a certain stamina threshhold where she shows some mercy and shoots the tarp herself.

Also admittedly I kinda tear rear end through the tanker since I really wanted to get to the plant chapter. I'm not sure how I forgot to shoot the TV though, since that was pretty much the whole reason I tried to get Otacon's codec call first.

My biggest regret is forgetting to call Otacon about the pentazemin :(

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If I were to be charitable about why Rex is still in operating condition after nine years of sitting around, I'd say that Otacon built it to withstand a nuclear war, even if he didn't want to mount warheads on it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
REX doesn't need an excuse for being the hottest poo poo in the world. :colbert:

:siren:
Let's Play Metal Gear Solid 2 Episode 2 - Commandant
:siren:

I was trying very hard not to explosively belch in this episode. It's not easy during rapid-drink episodes. :(

Danaru fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 8, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Dear Danaru.

Please do not die of Liver Failure.

Not until you clear MGS3 at least.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
"Snake you are a literal child in a man's body so just to let you know- I'm not talking about a candy bar." -Otacon

Also Dan you should at least get Alcohol you like because you're going to be drinking it A LOT in this game. This episode must have been hell too for it.

Zain fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 8, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Does Otacon have a comment if you take a picture of the other Marines?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Edward_Tohr posted:

Otacon has a response for almost every single thing you can take a picture of that's not, like, an empty hallway or out of frame or whatever. Because Kojima.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Otacon has a response for almost every single thing you can take a picture of that's not, like, an empty hallway or out of frame or whatever. Because Kojima.

Because Kojima is the greatest mind of his generation, or any generation.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Because Kojima is the greatest mind of his generation, or any generation.

Yes.... Let's go with that. :tinfoil:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Edward_Tohr posted:

There's a Marine in the first room who's pantsless, Otacon will lose his poo poo laughing if you photograph him. He also does the same if you photograph the poster with the girl who's shirt says "mooch" for some reason :confused:

One thing I forgot, if you take a picture of one of the projection screens in the second hold, you get a ghost image of Kojima, Otacon reacts the same way as he did to the picture of Ocelot, except it makes a bit more sense this time :v:

There's a picture of a dude's chest on a locker near the Raven figurine, if you take a picture of it, Otacon implies Snake is gay. Otacon isn't fooling anyone.

I'm pretty sure he reacts to a picture of Olga too, there's a ton of poo poo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What Otacon's finding hilarious about the MOOCH girl is probably that the guy on the poster next to her is reaching into her poster.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Zain posted:

"Snake you are a literal child in a man's body so just to let you know- I'm not talking about a candy bar." -Otacon

Also Dan you should at least get Alcohol you like because you're going to be drinking it A LOT in this game. This episode must have been hell too for it.

Make it an imperial stout and become the first LPer to vomit repeatedly on a hot mic. Do it for history. Do it for art.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
Ah, a Metal Gear to end all Metal Gears! As you can see, this Metal Gear is superior to all other forms of Metal Gears. In fact, as Metal Gears are wont to do as their existence as Metal Gears entails, when one Metal Gear sees another Metal Gear a Metal Gear superiority contest ensues! At times, two Metal Gears, three Metal Gears, four Metal Gears, five Metal Gears, and groups of even six Metal Gears, seven Metal Gears, eight Metal Gears all the way up to ten Metal Gears, eleven Metal Gears, and twelve Metal Gears may engage in a Metal Gear contest of Metal Gear fortitude to determine whom among these multitudes of Metal Gears will prevail as the prime Metal Gear among all other Metal Gears; the Metal Gear who may declare their Metal Gear self as the dominant Metal Gear!

METAL GEAR

hire me kojima

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

What Otacon's finding hilarious about the MOOCH girl is probably that the guy on the poster next to her is reaching into her poster.

Yeah, this exactly. if you look with the two posters next to each other, the guy's arm matches up with the girl's hand on her hip. The similar mix-up about the dude chest makes a lot of sense now because back in the day everyone was saying that Otacon was suggesting Snake was gay for the Raven doll, and I couldn't get it to work.

Another couple of goofy things I'm sad weren't in here: One of the other doors at the entrance to inside the ship at the beginning is broken. If you try to go in it, snake will accidentally unscrew the wheel off the door, look around to make sure nobody's looking, then screw it back in. Also, if you play with the projectors in the holds, which you totally can because Kojima, Snake spazzes out and just starts hitting the button a bunch until the marines notice him. Also, you'll get girly videos on the screen intermittently. Finally, if you're hiding in a locker with a girly poster inside it, and slowly creep up to the vents as if to peek out (analogue controllers everybody!) instead Snake will kiss the poster. Call Otacon while up close to one and he'll scold Snake for being a perv, and Snake will be panting instead of his usual codec moment, because he's totally whacking it at the time.

Also a couple of nice details. The box you get after Olga is wet. If you're hiding in it inside, it looks very suspicious. The dry box can become wet if you use it outside in the rain as well. Also, the lights in the last area before the marines can all be shot out, making it easier to hide.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Choco1980 posted:

Also, if you play with the projectors in the holds, which you totally can because Kojima, Snake spazzes out and just starts hitting the button a bunch until the marines notice him. Also, you'll get girly videos on the screen intermittently.

As much as I usually love showing this off since its kojima as gently caress, I didn't want to show it off badly enough to take a shot :colbert:

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Danaru posted:

As much as I usually love showing this off since its kojima as gently caress, I didn't want to show it off badly enough to take a shot :colbert:

There is always the option of bonus videos to show off anything you missed, you don't even need to talk over them!

I'm glad you went out of your way to expose the Commandant Gear prototype.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hitting an open locker door with a girl poster on it will make a boob-honking sound instead of the usual thud, and I think it also brings a bunch of alerted soldiers in to defend their waifu's honour.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dabir posted:

Hitting an open locker door with a girl poster on it will make a boob-honking sound instead of the usual thud, and I think it also brings a bunch of alerted soldiers in to defend their waifu's honour.

If you knock on the top half of the poster, it'll make a bouncy noise but that's it. Knocking on the bottom half calls an alert.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Iron Chitlin posted:

There is always the option of bonus videos to show off anything you missed, you don't even need to talk over them!

This is actually a good idea and I'll probably end up doing that :v: there's so much poo poo hidden around the tanker that never comes up again, its a shame.

Also I just got a PS4 for cheaper than I expected :woop: I thought I was going to have to play Phantom Pain on PS3.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

Make it an imperial stout and become the first LPer to vomit repeatedly on a hot mic. Do it for history. Do it for art.

Oh god, I don't know. Should we really be suggesting what Dan buys for alcohol? Would he even do it?

Get Dragon's Milk! I've always wanted to try it but I'm never sure with spiced ales.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
So when you were at the Marine's area, and hanging off ledges, were you trying to get to the cable that lets you get over them? If so, I recall you needed a full upgraded grip bar to do it.

Seconding that you should knock on a girlie locker poster, if only to see Grace's reaction. :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:siren:Let's Play Metal Gear Solid 2 Episode 3 - CALL PRESS SELECT:siren:

There's like, four minutes of gameplay total in this video

Danaru fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 11, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The only thing you really missed was down in the water by the fence in that first room is the infra-red goggles. Raiden gives a hint right off the bat they're down there. Because the lights are working, the dumbass decides to throw them away. I want to say there's something over by the dive suits that's a pain to get to as well, I don't remember. The rails are a great place to practice your pull ups too because when you fall you just go in the water instead of taking any damage. Finally, if you hang out around the sea lice too long (there's several spots in the first room with them in it) with a ration in your inventory, they'll crawl in your suit and start eating the ration, making it unusable. The ration even gets a big louse picture over it on the inventory screen. Also, it always pissed me off that despite not starting with a gun on higher difficulties, those soldiers at the beginning have dog tags for you, and disappear after a later fight.

When you do your reel of missed Tanker stuff later, will you be including what happens when you call Otacon too many times, or is that surprise not a spoiler?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
The reason Ocelot hypnotized himself was so that he could finally trick the one person he hadn't yet--himself.

Either that, or it was to trick the Patriots.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The water laser is actually based on a real life thing, although filtered through Kojima's mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_jet_cutter

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Choco1980 posted:

The only thing you really missed was down in the water by the fence in that first room is the infra-red goggles. Raiden gives a hint right off the bat they're down there. Because the lights are working, the dumbass decides to throw them away. I want to say there's something over by the dive suits that's a pain to get to as well, I don't remember.

When you do your reel of missed Tanker stuff later, will you be including what happens when you call Otacon too many times, or is that surprise not a spoiler?

The thing by the JIM suits is the shaver for Snake, but that's only in Hard and above in this version :( also gently caress I totally forgot about the thermals.

I'll show a reel of all of Otacon's parables during the bonus video :v:

Pyroi posted:

The reason Ocelot hypnotized himself was so that he could finally trick the one person he hadn't yet--himself.

I'm accepting this explanation as canon.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Is there an actual reason he hypnotized himself? Cause that sounds REALLY pointless just to do it for the kicks.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Danaru posted:

There's like, four minutes of gameplay total in this video
How many minutes feature the Commandant?

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
Erdinger has some really good beers and they are pretty good for getting used to beer in general because wheat beer is absolutely amazing. Erdinger Dunkel was one of the first stronger beers I started regularly drinking and I really recommend trying weissbier or Dunkel from an Erdinger glass tapped by someone who knows how because it enhances the experience and taste a lot in my opinion.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zain posted:

Is there an actual reason he hypnotized himself? Cause that sounds REALLY pointless just to do it for the kicks.

The actual reason he did it was because everyone bitched endlessly about MGS2 back in the day. The chief complaints were:
Raiden
Ocelot's ghost hand
Raiden
The story being too good for dumb babies
Raiden

So Kojima tried to pander to all these haters, which resulted in MGS4. Because hypnotism and making Raiden a cyborg ninja fixed everything, right? It's not like the third game establishes Ocelot had latent psychic/spirit medium powers that could explain how he was possessed, nope. Only nanomachines can explain the ghost arm.

Although, according to a few sources here and there, he was actually possessed during MGS2. Then Ocelot said "gently caress that" and that is why he isn't actually using Liquid's arm in 4. Pretty sure that's only stated in that Metal Gear Database thing but take what you can get.

As for an in-universe reason, he wanted to fool The Patriots. That's it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My favorite part of Raiden's "skull suit" setup is how they have Raiden's real blood sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Well hey if there's hardly any gameplay then at least you get to sit back and down some beer.