Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So for MA arcosephale, how do the chariots work?
Cuz the sprite has what looks like an archer, but it can't fire

Is it like a second form thing?

IAmThatIs fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

IAmThatIs posted:

So for MA arcosephale, how do the chariots work?
Cuz the sprite has what looks like an archer, but it can't fire

Is it like a second form thing?

No it's just a reused sprite. Use elephants instead in MA.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
I think someone posted a mod about a desert-themed nation a couple pages back, can I get a link to that?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Finnish Flasher posted:

I think someone posted a mod about a desert-themed nation a couple pages back, can I get a link to that?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23610021/juhera_iram.rar

Very entertaining, especially when your paper thin (and about as well protected) early guys get hit by archers and die.

Or when their glamour lets them soak a cavalry charge and immediately destroys the entire line.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks man :)

Another question, about upkeep stuff. EA Ledan (modnation) has sacred commanders that cost 80 and create 3 gold everyturn, making profit after 26 turns. How does upkeep work when they're sacred? Are they worth buying?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Finnish Flasher posted:

Thanks man :)

Another question, about upkeep stuff. EA Ledan (modnation) has sacred commanders that cost 80 and create 3 gold everyturn, making profit after 26 turns. How does upkeep work when they're sacred? Are they worth buying?

Upkeep is halved for sacreds.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Monthly upkeep is recruitment cost / 15 for normal units, / 30 for sacred units

Absum
May 28, 2013

Just click on morale to see your units upkeep instead of having to think.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
So they make 36g/y while costing 32g/y in upkeep. Seems like a good deal.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Finnish Flasher posted:

So they make 36g/y while costing 32g/y in upkeep. Seems like a good deal.

Are they mages? If not, then the opportunity cost of recruiting them instead of anything else isn't worth it.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
They are 1h priests with 25% of getting 1A If i remember correctly. Also they make resources in cold provinces. So yeah prob not worth it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Finnish Flasher posted:

They are 1h priests with 25% of getting 1A If i remember correctly. Also they make resources in cold provinces. So yeah prob not worth it.

I could see them getting some use in some long-time strategy on a secondary front: Slowly recruit them in some cold borderfort, use the growing ressource-base to recruit units faster and faster, give magic cauldrons to the mages occasionally to hide the growing mass of units. Either you get a nice reserve army to surprise someone, or a nice invasion-start point. Just teleport or trapeze mages over, instant invasion army.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Free god summoning for suicidalists.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I have made a mod that involves Sobekssss in LA. Give it a whirl if you want and tell me how hosed it is in IRC.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrfng03afmeyl2z/LA_Shedet.zip?dl=0

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I made a diving suit

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

2015-08-02 21:09:47 +0200
Version 4.19

Patch coming soon? /cross fingers

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

4.19 blaze it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I suppose it doesn't matter anymore because the coming patch, but I was fooling around with EA Oceania and drat, the balance in the UW nations is really lacking.

Why would anyone buy an Aphroi vs an Ichticentaur, for example? You win the bless as it's a sacred unit, but for more than twice the cost, you have a unit that isn't even better to the previous unit in all stats: the cheaper Ichticentaur has 1 more defense, 1 more protection and 4 enc vs the 8 encumbrance of the Aphroi. Actually armor wise it seems a bug, or a oversight: the armor of the elite unit is three times more expensive in resources but it's worse, just 1 more prot in exchange of 4 more encumbrance and -2 def. Craziness.

In other news, in Windows 10 and with a AMD card, the game is "zoomed in", or the outer borders are cropped, with the game running on fullscreen. In windowed mode it's fine. Anyone else?

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
hey everybody, there's a new dominions four lets play in the lets play forum

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Turin Turambar posted:

I suppose it doesn't matter anymore because the coming patch, but I was fooling around with EA Oceania and drat, the balance in the UW nations is really lacking. Anyone else?

It still matters, because the same thing applies to pretty much every underwater nation. Each one has some quirk that makes it overall pretty awful. I would imagine that illwinter just doesn't want to touch them because making them competitive with the rest of the world is likely a balance *nightmare*.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The biggest thing UW nations need is national recruits out of all surface forts.
But that buffs them without making it any better for land nations to take the fight down there. v:shobon:v

The game would definitely lose a lot of flavor without Atlantis and Ryleh, though.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Speleothing posted:

The biggest thing UW nations need is national recruits out of all surface forts.
But that buffs them without making it any better for land nations to take the fight down there. v:shobon:v

The game would definitely lose a lot of flavor without Atlantis and Ryleh, though.

:agreed: on both counts.

I personally like the idea of UW nations needing coastal forts for the confluence of national units plus surface materials (e.g. not goddamn coral).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Going underwater should be universally easier and more accessible too. Like there should be a waterbreathing leader or two in the vein of awaken sleeper, waterbreathing items should be cheaper and more powerful.

What is not needed is auto-rusting poo poo to make it more annoying to attack the sea. But welp

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Giving Sleepers gift-of-waterbreathing should be about four lines of code.

Or maybe make an S summon which does it instead, since S has no good summons.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Speleothing posted:

Giving Sleepers gift-of-waterbreathing should be about four lines of code.

Literally #giftofwaterbreathing X in mod syntax, and I would imagine their unit DB is malleable enough to make it as simple as that.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Going underwater should be universally easier and more accessible too.

And more desirable. The one or two thrones underwater aren't much in the way of incentive. Give underwater terrain types (kelp forest, volcanic fissure, whatever) with appropriate sitesearch biases, add fancy UW-only sites, make mervirgins for blood slavery, et cetera.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Also make it so nations can realistically do things like fort/lab underwater even if all they can recruit are various indy mages in the vein of X Tribe Shaman.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Literally #giftofwaterbreathing X in mod syntax, and I would imagine their unit DB is malleable enough to make it as simple as that.

Plus the lines to select unit and name the mod

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Are multiplayer games generally played with normal research rate?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Yes

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

Also make it so nations can realistically do things like fort/lab underwater even if all they can recruit are various indy mages in the vein of X Tribe Shaman.
This is unbelievably easy to do, you just give every nation the #uwbuild 1 tag.

You could mod it into the game in 2 minutes.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

jBrereton posted:

This is unbelievably easy to do, you just give every nation the #uwbuild 1 tag.

You could mod it into the game in 2 minutes.

It's that easy? drat, time to fix one of my biggest gripes about the game.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It'd be a waste of gold. What are you going to build in your stupid water fort?

You'd have to mod more mages and poo poo to give you something to recruit unless you are cool with making a thousand shamblers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That's the reason to play Jomon, to have non-lovely underwater recruitment options.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
La newbie game is over on turn 78. It was a terrible slog to the blood end game made worse by people going AI at the worst of times. Yet it was my first multiplayer game of dominions and so it was automatically the best game I've ever experienced. I had a lot of fun bumbling with Bogarus even though I'm gay.

I was able to edge out a strong lead due to my starting location away from most of the fighting. Most of my neighbors were very easy to convince to look elsewhere to expand. Marignon was occupied fighting the instantly AI'd Persians. Abysia was busy being eaten by Caelum and Arco. Man agreed to take some southern provinces and expand towards the AI. Pan was an instant ally due to being the one pinning LA Mictlan into a corner. Hang on that's wrong. It actually turned out I was the one pinning an angry Mictlan into a corner. I was hosed.

Russia was invaded for the millionth time in history. The Mictland army made terrifying progress blitzing into all of my northern territories for the first few turns with N9B9 jags. Unfortunately for Mictlan, winter was coming and with it about 20 million 8g short bows. I let their armies get to the outskirts of my capital and set up a very nasty province defense trap in the jugular province with my troops moving in from my capital. It was far from the only casualty Mictlan was about to take though as I played StarCraft back when it was cool and have Korean level Mutalisk micro. My pretender, which is literally a huge stack of Mutalisks that resembles a dragon, started harassing some of Mictlan's juiciest undefended provinces that same turn. Additionally, Pan let out a dying shart before folding under pressure applied by his Western neighbors and took a few provinces from Mictlan when they were most vulnerable. It was just a matter of cleaning up the mess after that.

The other nations were content with leaving me alone and letting me spam 100g occultist PUAs to hoover up all the bitches for the coming horror, vampire and storm demon party. I elected to avoid patrolling my hunting provinces since many of my provinces were only around 7k population and my scales were o3g1. That turned out to be a great choice over the long run since I managed to avoid hunting the virgins to extinction over the next 60 turns and proving that blood magic is the most sustainable energy source. This works because order 3 gives you something around 15% unrest reduction per turn. It makes unrest equilibrate at around 100 with two b2 hunters with some deviation for exceptionally lucky hunts. 100 unrest sound bad at first, but it translates to only a 25% additional chance of failing a hunt, where chance of failure = unrest/4 %, with no reduction to the gains from successful ones. Also keep in mind that b2 hunters have a 10% chance of failing a hunt by default. Overall though Dominions four is a game of trade-offs. Every point of unrest that you don't patrol away effectively nets you 10 population. Following that logic, patrolling away 15 unrest per turn would cost you 150 men, women and children that could be producing more gold and virgins for you if your abstracted dudes hadn't abstractly killed them off. In just a year this tallies up to 1800 loyal citizens. Additionally you have to consider that every blood virgin you harvest requires you to disappear her entire family, costing you an additional 3 population. With those numbers you can tell that there is no way to sustain those kinds of losses for much longer than a year in all but the largest provinces. Click here if you're a huge nerd like me and would like some further reading on the topic of estimation of blood slaves value and economics.

Edit: looks like the manual and desura forums are wrong about the unrest generation. Instead of being 10 lost pop/unrest patrolled away it's more like half of a point of population/unrest. Teaches me to trust non-goons on anything dominions 4 ever.

I found the steel ovens pretty early and it allowed me to forge a ton of very cheap items. Notably I made a communion that could drop fog warriors, mass protection, regeneration and antimagic on turn 1 enabled with crystal matrices. I can't say it made a big difference in the long run though since the power of conventional forces were a drop in the ocean compared to all of the vampires and demons I made every turn. It cost me a lot of slaves to empower the infrastructure needed to make vampire lords, horror spammers and storm demons. Next time I'll likely begin playing with a pretender capable of summoning vampire lords and not bother with the other stuff since it's very distracting and takes a lot of planning. Vampires buffed with darkness and rush of strength hold their own against all comers.

Overall it was a great learning experience. Hopefully I'm ready to put up a fight against the more experienced players in the EA and MA games I signed up for. Honorary list of bullshit spells: fog warriors, send horror, vengeful water, curse of blood, infernal tempest.

To people hosting newbie games in the future: host them all in MA to avoid newbies getting utterly raped by fake newbies poop-socking with TNN and being on the receiving end of frustrating LA blood magic.

Density fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 6, 2015

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Density posted:

Following that logic, patrolling away 15 unrest per turn would cost you 150 men, women and children that could be producing more gold and virgins for you

This is wrong actually, you don't lose anywhere near that many people from patrolling.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No it's right.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

No, it's distinctly wrong, i've tested this before. Just to be sure I literally just tested it and lost nowhere near that much population. It's more like .66 per point of unrest patrolled away than 10 per.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That means the manual and literally all of the forums threads I've read are wrong. Figures.

E: Just tested it. Looks like you're right. You definitely made me humble.

Density fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 6, 2015

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

The manual was not written by illwinter and is wrong in some other places. Also for real there are systems that illwinter doesn't understand anymore, as shown in this fine quote from Kristoffer:
"There are no changes to the basic morale system that I'm aware of. It is opaque enough that I don't remember how it works anymore. JK likewise. Since we don't understand it anymore we have no intention to make changes in it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"We don't understand how our own game works anymore." :psyduck: holy poo poo.

• Locked thread