Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Uploaded a short test video from the XD Prime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNIi4aAlDAQ

Wind noise issues are sorted, having the rear cap on is important. What I'm not happy with is the time it takes to upload videos to youtube. It took 45 mins to upload a 2 minute video.

I think I'm going to switch to a side-mount on the camera so it's at eye level. I've got the Heimlock mount coming tomorrow so I'll toss it on the side and see how everything looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Was it the raw video? The files are huge, you gotta compress them.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

revmoo posted:

Yeah but it's to the point that it's clipping the audio which is not ok. However I was reading some Amazon reviews and apparently you need to have the rear cap installed or you'll get bad wind noise. I had the cap off as I was making adjustments. I'll take it for a spin later with the cap and the windscreen on and see how it does.

Now I have to buy a new PC, I don't have anything capable of editing 1080p right now. My laptop can't even play the videos it's too old heh. I just get a new frame every 15 seconds.

EDIT: What are you guys using to edit video? Do I need to learn Adobe Premier or is there something else people use?

I don't edit much but I've been using the free version of Lightworks. The free version only exports to h.264/youtube IIRC.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

nsaP posted:

I used my macbook and quicktime like a noob. The file was 150mb (which shouldn't take THAT long but whatever)

I'll check out lightworks, thanks.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

nsaP posted:

Raw video? The output from these cams is already highly compressed, just upload that poo poo to YouTube overnight and let its codec further ruin quality.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Radbot posted:

Raw video? The output from these cams is already highly compressed, just upload that poo poo to YouTube overnight and let its codec further ruin quality.

Yeah I'd prefer to avoid multiple encodes on my videos to keep the quality up. So if you run a 8-hour upload to Youtube, does the site resume if your Internet connection hiccups halfway through?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

revmoo posted:

Yeah I'd prefer to avoid multiple encodes on my videos to keep the quality up. So if you run a 8-hour upload to Youtube, does the site resume if your Internet connection hiccups halfway through?

For most file formats, yes. Just attempt to upload the same file and the progress bar should jump to where it left off.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So now we can get official confirmation of the Ninja's top speed in 5th right?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

nsaP posted:

So now we can get official confirmation of the Ninja's top speed in 5th right?

I'm not gonna do it just to be difficult :)

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

revmoo posted:

I'm not gonna do it just to be difficult :)

LOL, nice cop out.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Koruthaiolos posted:

LOL, nice cop out.

:toxx: and I'll do it

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Wait, you go around bragging about how fast your lovely rear end bike is, and then expect somebody else to toxx themselves so that you'll prove it?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Excuse me but how can you go 90 in 5th when there are so many cars to emergency brake for

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Koruthaiolos posted:

Wait, you go around bragging about how fast your lovely rear end bike is, and then expect somebody else to toxx themselves so that you'll prove it?

LOL, nice cop out.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

For video editing, I use VSDC, http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Use the demo of premiere, fall in love with it and then buy premiere

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
For simple editing or adding terrible trance music, gopro studio is more than enough.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Does anyone have a favorite on-bike mounting spot? I want to try something off my body to see if I'm able to get decent footage. The handlebars seem like a good idea since the camera would be turning into the turn at low speeds and shouldn't be significantly off-axis at higher speeds, but I could be totally off base about that.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Radbot posted:

Does anyone have a favorite on-bike mounting spot? I want to try something off my body to see if I'm able to get decent footage. The handlebars seem like a good idea since the camera would be turning into the turn at low speeds and shouldn't be significantly off-axis at higher speeds, but I could be totally off base about that.

I like just above the swingarm/on the passenger pegs for facing backwards.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

builds character posted:

I like just above the swingarm/on the passenger pegs for facing backwards.

Do you body mount your forward facing camera?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My R1 seems to vibrate too much for any kind of usable video when I mount my gopro on it, but even so you cant see anything but the road which is just... not as interesting.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Radbot posted:

Do you body mount your forward facing camera?

helmet, yeah. I tried forward on the passenger pegs but you get a big chunk of leg that's just not interesting/takes up too much of the field of view and you're very much more restricted to only one side of the bike vs. pointing back where you're close enough to the rear that you still get some of what's on the other side of the bike.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

It really depends how solidly you can get the camera attached to your bike. When i first set up the crappy chinese camera on my drz (using a handlebar clamp mount and a short extension) it was loose in the case and the various mounting bits had too much play which gave me lovely video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5oDZNpiieo

I later changed the mount to put a baseplate with a threaded insert on the brake fluid reservoir and used the shortest possible length of threaded rod to attach the camera case. I also put some foam inside the case to stop the camera moving which combined made the video quality decent enough to actually make out what's going on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT0naTPRSls

If you can get a good spot on the handlebars you can end up with a completely unobstructed view. I've also seen plenty of people mount a camera on the tank looking through the windshield which works well enough as long as you have it sitting high enough.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I like how the first thing you see in the 2nd video is a red light runner.

I was trying to think of something to do with a bit of cash I've saved up from selling off a lot of old DVDs, and seeing some of the videos in CA, I think a Cam is just the ticket. Now to get purchase paralysis by doing all the research lol.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Give us your budget and we'll give you your camera.

edit: How do people feel about showing/not showing the speedometer in your camera footage? I'm concerned that some person taking a left in front of me will get off scot free if I'm going 1MPH over the speed limit since I was technically breaking the law.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 7, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

Give us your budget and we'll give you your camera.

edit: How do people feel about showing/not showing the speedometer in your camera footage? I'm concerned that some person taking a left in front of me will get off scot free if I'm going 1MPH over the speed limit since I was technically breaking the law.

Depends on your jurisdiction. In England and Wales non-calibrated speedos aren't evidential so it doesn't matter.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Just bought a GoPro-like action cam, a SJCAM SJ4000. I mounted it on my handlebars and this is the result I got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrtDPaKRvnE

How do I get rid of that wavy effect that apparently the noise and vibrations from my monster 150cc Yamaha apparently creates? I eventually want to mount it to my helmet, but want to sort out the little things like this first.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

YF19pilot posted:

Just bought a GoPro-like action cam, a SJCAM SJ4000. I mounted it on my handlebars and this is the result I got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrtDPaKRvnE

How do I get rid of that wavy effect that apparently the noise and vibrations from my monster 150cc Yamaha apparently creates? I eventually want to mount it to my helmet, but want to sort out the little things like this first.

Don't mount it on your bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KARMA! posted:

Don't mount it on your bike.

This. You will never get rid of them as long as it is on the bike. I know people in the pics thread were talking about foam and stuff but if you bar mount it you will get jello.

You have to take it off the bike to get rid of that

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You can bike-mount if you do it properly with double rubber RAM mounts or higher frame rate video on a bike that's already pretty well damped, but agreed body mount probably makes more sense for most folks.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

What do you guys think about the GoPro Hero 3+ Silver for $200? Is it still good? I know it doesn't do 4k or anything real crazy but it's got like 2 and a half hours battery life at 720p 120fps and 3 hours at 1080p 30fps.

VV Cool thanks. I would get a Hero 4 but they are so much more.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 20, 2015

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Shadowlz posted:

What do you guys think about the GoPro Hero 3+ Silver for $200? Is it still good? I know it doesn't do 4k or anything real crazy but it's got like 2 and a half hours battery life at 720p 120fps and 3 hours at 1080p 30fps.

GoPro Hero 3 here. Yeah, it does the job but honestly those special features of the 4 get me pretty jealous. My review is that you probably won't have buyer's remorse, you'll be happy and satisfied, but you could definitely be happier with a Hero 4. DON'T buy a knock-off, though. Seriously, this isn't about brand loyalty but I've yet to see an action camera compare to GoPro in terms of basic features like impact/shock resistance and vibration resistance.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
I bought 2 SJ4000 cameras. They are absolutely fantastic so far. I mounted one rear facing on my bike and one forward on my helmet. I figured if I get rear-ended, it'd be nice to have the chance of proving the person was texting or otherwise pre-occupied with not loving driving. The WiFi works great and made it super easy to get it set up correctly. It came with almost every mount I would want, but I'm hoping to buy another kit that comes with a few extras that would be nice.

Overall it's a great camera and judging from the videos I've taken so far, there isn't much difference in video quality between it and the GoPro. At least, not enough to justify the price difference.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I agree, there are a few legit alternatives to GoPro at this point if your main worry is casual ride videos and liability. The Sony AS/AX series, although harder to mount, can be a good option with its image stabilization.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
After making a ridiculous daisy chain of GoPro arms to get the thing centered on my way-too-curvy Shoei GT-Air I went out for a ride to test the limits of Microsoft Hyperlapse on some local roads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1GvLJsdDhA

Not bad though it had to zoom way in to stabilize properly which makes it a little hard to watch.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
$200 buck gopro with 60 fps 1080p and wifi.

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2015/09/28/gopros-new-hero-action-camera-brings-wi-fi-capture-for-just-200/

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

But no replaceable battery.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
So apparently the Sena 10c can survive being run over multiple times by various sedans at commute traffic speeds.

though it might pop off your helmet in a crash, if it's in tagging mode it apparently (at least in my case) auto-saved the last minute or so, and made Geico's job a LOT easier.

Also i'm not having to pay a penny to fix my bike, which is nice.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I snagged Pivothead Durango glasses super cheap last week. What the camera lacks in stability on bumps it makes up for in the ability to see pretty much exactly what I do, albeit in a smaller field of vision.

So far I've just been uploading 640x640 Instagram snippets until something spectacular happens. It's capable of 1080p at 30fps. I have mine set to 720p at 60fps when/if I am the witness to poo poo hitting the fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I snagged Pivothead Durango glasses super cheap last week. What the camera lacks in stability on bumps it makes up for in the ability to see pretty much exactly what I do, albeit in a smaller field of vision.

So far I've just been uploading 640x640 Instagram snippets until something spectacular happens. It's capable of 1080p at 30fps. I have mine set to 720p at 60fps when/if I am the witness to poo poo hitting the fan.

Why sacrifice res for fps for evidence?

• Locked thread