Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I like Mecha Phantom Beasts and they're fairly cheap. The most expensive part of any deck is gonna be the extra deck, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Dabir posted:

I like Mecha Phantom Beasts and they're fairly cheap. The most expensive part of any deck is gonna be the extra deck, really.

Speaking of extra deck, can you recommend anything fun focused on pendulum/XYZ/synchro stuff? I've never played with any of them before and my mates play very heavy with all that and it seems like fun. I can probably put down low three figures if it gives me a fun deck that will actually be capable versus my friends tier 1-3 stuff.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

Can anyone recommend me a reasonably cheap good deck to get back into the game with? I used to play casually with a few friends way back before Synchros became a thing, and recently a bunch of my friends have been into the modern game (all my old cards are seemingly worthless in the current meta). My friends have masked hero, lightsworn, blackwing, nekroz and odd-eyes decks, so I'd rather get something different to any of those. I'm only going to be playing casually, no comps.

Frog monarch is unbelievably fun and it goes off every time. It gets shut down by most of the meta unless they draw up bad hands, and can't fix them.
You could build a fun Shaddoll deck in the low 3 digits, that uses extra deck for fusions, and throw a blackrose dragon in there as well.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

BurritoJustice posted:

Speaking of extra deck, can you recommend anything fun focused on pendulum/XYZ/synchro stuff? I've never played with any of them before and my mates play very heavy with all that and it seems like fun. I can probably put down low three figures if it gives me a fun deck that will actually be capable versus my friends tier 1-3 stuff.

Sounds like your best bet would be Shaddolls, which uses Fusions, Synchros, and Xyz, and has decent matchups against most of your friends decks. There are a variety of builds you can use, and I personally have the most fun with this deck out of all of the "Meta" Decks. I would recommend you look up some decklists online and at card prices to decide if it seems like the sort of deck you want to commit to and play.

I like Volcanics as well, which are fairly cheep, (Though you might need Lose 1 Turn[/i], which is quite expensive for a single card) but I don't think you would like their playstyle, since it is a reactive deck that focuses on blowing out your opponent and doesn't really ever go into the extra except for the occasional Xyz, and has very bad matchups against Qliphort and Nekroz.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If your friends are good people, Shadolls will upset them.

But one's playing Nekroz so maybe they aren't.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
A fun pendulum "archetype" (though I use that word loosely) is Pendulum Normals.
Basically you take these five Pendulum Monsters (who also happen to be Normal Monsters):

Add in Normal Monster Support, (Fossil Dig/Heart of the Underdog/Summoner's Art/etc.), and then you can add other normal monsters to taste. (I generally add in Tune Warrior, a Normal Tuner, and Blue Dragon Summoner, who can search out Normal Monsters).

Overall, ignoring the support cards, I think the most expensive card in here is like $3.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 5, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Dabir posted:

If your friends are good people, Shadolls will upset them.

But one's playing Nekroz so maybe they aren't.

He doesn't play Nekroz typically, he bought that deck for playing comp at a local store. He usually plays Blackwing, which is a little bit less absurd.

I played a few games against the AI with a Shaddolls deck I netdecked in YGOPro, and I couldn't really get a feel for them. The whole idea of dumping cards in the graveyard for various effects is cool, but I couldn't actually get much done with them. Game is 100x more complex than 8 years ago.

Senerio posted:

A fun pendulum "archetype" (though I use that word loosely) is Pendulum Normals.
Basically you take these five Pendulum Monsters (who also happen to be Normal Monsters):

Add in Normal Monster Support, (Fossil Dig/Heart of the Underdog/Summoner's Art/etc.), and then you can add other normal monsters to taste. (I generally add in Tune Warrior, a Normal Tuner, and Blue Dragon Summoner, who can search out Normal Monsters).

Overall, ignoring the support cards, I think the most expensive card in here is like $3.

I'm considering buying this just because it would be basically nothing to build a full deck from that. Doubt it would be too effective against the more crazy archetypes though.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BurritoJustice posted:

I'm considering buying this just because it would be basically nothing to build a full deck from that. Doubt it would be too effective against the more crazy archetypes though.

It's not going to top against Nekroz or Shaddoll or Burning Abyss, but it's still a pretty solid deck. I run that and Ultra Athlete as my main two decks right now. (Though Melodious Lock and Greydles are great too)

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
The more I play online, the more I realize how stale this game has gotten thanks to the Duelist Alliance IRL set.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Which one was that?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dabir posted:

Which one was that?

The first set in series 9. Introduced Nutellas, Yang Zing, Shadolls, Superheavy Samurai, Performapals, Melodious, Ultra Athletes, Burning Abyss, and Lovecrafts to the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's the best format the game's had since Tele-DAD because nothing outright stomps everything else. I'm only including Tele-DAD because that deck is loving hilarious and I love how dumb it is.

Dragon Rulers can go gently caress a duck though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dexie posted:

The first set in series 9. Introduced Nutellas, Yang Zing, Shadolls, Superheavy Samurai, Performapals, Melodious, Ultra Athletes, Burning Abyss, and Lovecrafts to the game.

But at least half of those things are cool.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Yeah now that Nekroz have been hit we are at least seeing a diverse meta. Diverse here means more than two "big decks"

I have issues with the current format but staleness isn't one of them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nekroz weren't super overbearing last format, but it was basically just trading out Shaddolls and Nekroz, now that Nekroz has been hit enough, more decks are being seen and that's cool. Along with the Kozmo archtype looking pretty strong and the potential the new Red-Eyes support has, the meta will probably keep changing some more too.

I'm just happy that I'm finally getting my Ogre.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Symphonic Speedroid Gustos needs to be meta.

Seriously guys this deck is fan-loving-tastic.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Give me a recipe.

AND DON'T loving RESPOND WITH LMGTFY

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This game has gotten very complicated.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Beef Chief posted:

It's the best format the game's had since Tele-DAD because nothing outright stomps everything else. I'm only including Tele-DAD because that deck is loving hilarious and I love how dumb it is.

Dragon Rulers can go gently caress a duck though.

It was a mediocre format for a while, but the deck diversity was much more prominent before it. Then Duelist Alliance came out and for the last year now, it's been the same four decks: Nekroz, BA, Qliphorts and Tellarknights. It's getting stale now.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

RatHat posted:

This game has gotten very complicated.

I have no idea what you mean.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nekroz are not nearly in the same prominence as they used to be and lol, what poo poo are you looking at where Shaddolls are not showing up, that deck pretty much stayed up there with Nekroz last format as being two of the top decks. I find this especially ironic for a person who wants one deck to be at the top again. This is not counting the number of rogue decks like Heroes, Yosenjus, and whatnot which perform fairly well against current meta and so on.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Slur posted:

It was a mediocre format for a while, but the deck diversity was much more prominent before it. Then Duelist Alliance came out and for the last year now, it's been the same four decks: Nekroz, BA, Qliphorts and Tellarknights. It's getting stale now.

Completely ignoring Shaddolls, Ritual Beasts, Magicians, Clownblade, and the resurgence of HERO decks, also Yosenju, and I'm probably forgetting a couple things.

Until recently, Qliphorts had fallen off of the map, anyway. No one has given a poo poo about them for a long time. It took Wavering Eyes to make them good again.

Beef Chief posted:

Give me a recipe.

AND DON'T loving RESPOND WITH LMGTFY

It is still very much a work in progress. I'm still trying to tweak the extra deck and adjust how many of each card I want to run in the main deck. When it goes off though...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Slur is the Patrick Hoban of Something Awful.

http://articles.alterealitygames.com/on-ethics/

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wouldn't putting in Beigomax and Dice instead of those you have make the deck much more consistent? :confused:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Onmi posted:

I have no idea what you mean.

Why does the game need 3 different variations of fusions.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Because people were getting sick of GOATs

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Wouldn't putting in Beigomax and Dice instead of those you have make the deck much more consistent? :confused:

It's hard to find room for them, and I don't want to dip into Speedroid specific stuff too much. Taketonborg is there because he lets me Synchro and Xyz really fast, and Ohajikid is there because hey, free Synchros and he works well with Guitaars.

Looking at Beigomax again though, he would probably help a lot. Blargh. I need to do more testing.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 6, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dice would allow you to put in one for one and make the deck even sackier. You could probably run Reasoning as well for great effect since the levels are so spread out. Also, when are you putting up the decklist for "Exodia Sucks"? :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Also, when are you putting up the decklist for "Exodia Sucks"? :v:

That was a playful jab at my best friend Slur. Look on the right, too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm gonna try a Chicken Race deck and see just how degenerate this deck is.

EDIT: BAN THIS loving CARD

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 6, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If you'd truly build a focused deck then it'd always end up being some boring FTK deck. The beatiful thing is, Chicken Race doesn't even need a deck built around it, you can slip it into anything as long as terraforming is a natural part of that deck. Case and point:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Onmi posted:

Slur is the Patrick Hoban of Something Awful.

http://articles.alterealitygames.com/on-ethics/

Holy poo poo I'd heard stories about how terrible the Yu-Gi-Oh player community is but god drat I didn't expect it to be that bad.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Holy poo poo I'd heard stories about how terrible the Yu-Gi-Oh player community is but god drat I didn't expect it to be that bad.

The funny thing is Hoban LOST that match. But he is a massively awful sperge who's unfortunately a top player in the game.

RatHat posted:

Why does the game need 3 different variations of fusions.

What do you mean?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Are there actual big cash tournaments for Yu-Gi-Oh? I borrowed Six Samurais a few years ago and top eighted a 200 person regionals, and prizes were a playmat and sleeves and everyone who entered got five packs. Nationals appeared to have similarly scant prize support. Did I miss something or have Yugioh tournaments changed since Upper Deck got sent to the farm?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Are there actual big cash tournaments for Yu-Gi-Oh? I borrowed Six Samurais a few years ago and top eighted a 200 person regionals, and prizes were a playmat and sleeves and everyone who entered got five packs. Nationals appeared to have similarly scant prize support. Did I miss something or have Yugioh tournaments changed since Upper Deck got sent to the farm?

I hear no, like even the World championships you're more rewarded with trophies and exclusive cards than money. The thing is Konami doesn't consider Yugioh that worth good prize support unforutnately. I think that's always what drives players online, and why you don't see the kind of sponsored teams like Channel Fireball in YGO.

There are money prices at the World Championships but it's not a lot of money.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Prize cards mang. Prize cards.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Really, even Cardfight Vanguard has better cash prize support. Yes you get the Prize cards

https://tcg.konami-europe.com/coverage/the-world-championship-prize-cards/

Which are certainly rare and cool but they aren't legal for play so it's for collectors, not players it seems.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

If you'd truly build a focused deck then it'd always end up being some boring FTK deck. The beatiful thing is, Chicken Race doesn't even need a deck built around it, you can slip it into anything as long as terraforming is a natural part of that deck. Case and point:

It's case IN point!

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Who needs money when you can have unplayable cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Hellsau posted:

A lot of people complain about this, and I can definitely understand the frustration at it when you have to put a lot of money into these decks and spend a lot of money and time traveling to events, especially compared to other TCGs like Magic the Gathering. The thing is, the author of the original manga, Kazuki Takahashi, said that he didn't want the card game to have Cash prizes, because he felt that it went against the playful spirit of the game (Ironic, isn't it :v:), and monetized prizes are apparently illegal in Japan, so it's a case of respecting the authors wishes and the company's structure.

• Locked thread