Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

crestfallen posted:

I wish they would finish validating my device or whatever so I can actually get the upgrade.

pre:
    Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
    It should exist, but if not, create it.
    Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.
Worked to get the upgrade for me after waiting a while with no luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

EoRaptor posted:

This is both completely true and 100% what Microsoft has said from day one. I have no idea how anybody could be confused by Microsoft's statements on how the upgrade worked.

They explicitly said the upgrade would be 'device specific' and that it would be 'supported for the lifetime of the device' and that is exactly what is being explained here. The 'device' in question is most likely the combination of motherboard and cpu. You can probably change your video card all you want, and hard drives as well. IN fact, the only peripheral I can think of that Windows might care about are networking devices (pcie network cards, etc) but even then there is probably a change threshold which needs to be passed before Windows stops being activated.

I actually replaced the wireless/bluetooth card in my laptop on monday(swapping out the terrible cheap Ralink HP shoved in there with a decent Intel AC one), after installing the free upgrade last wednesday. No issues whatsoever, no notifications, nothing to indicate there's something wrong with the license, Windows shows as being fully activated. I may end up doing a full reinstall/reset soon due to some minor unrelated issues I have, so we'll see what happens then.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Smoke posted:

I actually replaced the wireless/bluetooth card in my laptop on monday(swapping out the terrible cheap Ralink HP shoved in there with a decent Intel AC one), after installing the free upgrade last wednesday. No issues whatsoever, no notifications, nothing to indicate there's something wrong with the license, Windows shows as being fully activated. I may end up doing a full reinstall/reset soon due to some minor unrelated issues I have, so we'll see what happens then.

There is probably a variance threshold, as prior version of windows have done the same thing. I'd also guess that windows ranks some things higher than others.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

So theoretically if I build a completely new computer in say 18 months, not only can I not install Windows 10 on it, but my previous retail, transferable Windows 7 license is dead as well? What the hell.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

beejay posted:

So theoretically if I build a completely new computer in say 18 months, not only can I not install Windows 10 on it, but my previous retail, transferable Windows 7 license is dead as well? What the hell.

I don't know where you're getting the second part. I've already installed using this laptop's actual 7 key in a VM after the 10 install, and the original 7 key activated fine within the VM.

Also yeah, if you build a new computer you'll need to buy Windows, just like it's ever been.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I dunno I saw somewhere that upgrading to 10 "kills" your 7/8 key and you can't use it anymore. If I can still use it that's fine. I just know I bought 7 and have moved it across 3 different computers as I built new ones and would hate to lose that ability. Of course in a year or two, I'm fine with buying an "upgrade" version of 10 as I have with 8. I just don't want to upgrade now and screw myself where I have to buy a full install version down the line.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

beejay posted:

Restore your disk image, call for reactivation if necessary, eg the same as previous versions of Windows. The thing you can't do both now and before is run your old system and your new system concurrently.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Gotcha. Thanks. Lots of rumors flying around out there, but it was like that when 8 came out too.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I'm still waiting to hear back from ASUS customer service about the Windows 10 upgrade that killed my machine (t200). It's been about a week, despite the website saying they'll get back to me in 48 hours. I check all the usual sites daily and I can't find another case of someone having the same problem (Secure boot violation > stuck in BIOS > BIOS crippled so can't launch CSM).

Does anyone have any ideas how to get past this, or other things I should check/try?

E: Wrong thread, but I'll leave this here.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I have Windows 7 installed on a 64GB SSD, with a 1TB normal HD as well.

I've got a 500GB SSD now (Not even opened) and basically want to move my 64GB SSD onto that or basically just move over to it with the minimum of fuss, and install Windows 10 as my 64GB SSD basically has no space left on it :(

What's the easiest way to do this? Literally just cut & Paste it over?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I'm still waiting to hear back from ASUS customer service about the Windows 10 upgrade that killed my machine (t200). It's been about a week, despite the website saying they'll get back to me in 48 hours. I check all the usual sites daily and I can't find another case of someone having the same problem (Secure boot violation > stuck in BIOS > BIOS crippled so can't launch CSM).

Does anyone have any ideas how to get past this, or other things I should check/try?

E: Wrong thread, but I'll leave this here.

Have you called them? I put in for an RMA recently on the website and decided to contact them directly to followup and they had no record of my request. I wouldn't trust their website.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm really confused I currently have Win 7 Home Premium retail so what will the Windows 10 upgrade and activation bump me up to? Windows 10 Home retail or something else?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

spasticColon posted:

I'm really confused I currently have Win 7 Home Premium retail so what will the Windows 10 upgrade and activation bump me up to? Windows 10 Home retail or something else?

Home Basic or Home Premium will update you to Win 10 Home. All the other consumer ones will update you to Pro.

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions#Free_upgrade

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Edit: Oops, meant to put this in the windows 10 thread.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 6, 2015

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

computer parts posted:

Home Basic or Home Premium will update you to Win 10 Home. All the other consumer ones will update you to Pro.

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions#Free_upgrade

But will I be able to keep my retail license or will the upgrade bind the license to my four year old machine like an OEM install/upgrade?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

teacup posted:

So I have Windows 7 installed on a 64GB SSD, with a 1TB normal HD as well.

I've got a 500GB SSD now (Not even opened) and basically want to move my 64GB SSD onto that or basically just move over to it with the minimum of fuss, and install Windows 10 as my 64GB SSD basically has no space left on it :(

What's the easiest way to do this? Literally just cut & Paste it over?

The free version of Macrium Reflect is usually the recommendation for the job.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just got a refurb laptop without an OS. I have an old Windows 7 key I want to use with it. If I want a clean copy of Windows 10 on it -- do I need to install 7, upgrade, wipe, then install 10 with the key; or can I just install Windows 10 with a Windows 7 key?

EDIT : Small side question, is the free upgrade program going to end at some point? I have some Windows 8 keys that I eventually wish to upgrade as well -- but no computer currently using them.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 6, 2015

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

crestfallen posted:

I wish they would finish validating my device or whatever so I can actually get the upgrade.

Chuu posted:

I just got a refurb laptop without an OS. I have an old Windows 7 key I want to use with it. If I want a clean copy of Windows 10 on it -- do I need to install 7, upgrade, wipe, then install 10 with the key; or can I just install Windows 10 with a Windows 7 key?

If you don't have the Windows 10 upgrade icon in your taskbar:
http://tinyurl.com/win10fix10

If you do have the icon, but it won't let you update yet, this tool will let you do that:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you want to do a clean install of Windows 10:
http://tinyurl.com/win10clean

spasticColon posted:

But will I be able to keep my retail license or will the upgrade bind the license to my four year old machine like an OEM install/upgrade?
I believe the upgrade licence is not a retail licence and is basically bound to your motherboard like an OEM licence.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 6, 2015

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

When you install or upgrade Windows 10, don't do the express install but choose which features you'd like to enable or disable.

No matter what you choose though, by default Windows 10 handles updates like WoW. Your computer will send and receive updates from other computers. This speeds up the downloads a lot, but it can cause unwanted bandwidth usage, lag spikes, or latency. It's not an entirely bad thing even though it saves Microsoft money on bandwidth costs; for businesses with unmetered bandwidth this is a no-brainer. For personal usage or gaming you may want to disable it.

START->Settings->Update & Security->Windows Update->Advanced options->choose how your updates are delivered. Disable the thing.

http://imgur.com/gallery/I8u2G

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

I haven't read through all the pages so sorry if this has been touched on already.

I'm having issues when trying to run MVP through steam after updating to Windows 10.

Found the issue to be MSVCR100.dll is missing.

Located the folder it's in and redownloaded it, removed the original and replaced it. Did a restart and still not having any luck...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Try reinstalling the C++ 2010 redistributable? I'm pretty sure that's where that dll is from.

As opposed to just replacing the one file, I mean.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Heran Bago posted:

If you don't have the Windows 10 upgrade icon in your taskbar:
http://tinyurl.com/win10fix10

If you do have the icon, but it won't let you update yet, this tool will let you do that:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you want to do a clean install of Windows 10:
http://tinyurl.com/win10clean

I believe the upgrade licence is not a retail licence and is basically bound to your motherboard like an OEM licence.

Please don't use URL shorteners on here. Definitely makes me and other people nervous to click. Though I can understand you not wanting people to know you're linking to Reddit (just kidding).

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
My Windows 10 is ready to download. The way i'm understanding these posts, it seems that if I upgrade and get my Windows 10 key, then in 6 months or so after buying a new computer, I won't be able to use my Windows 10 key for the new computer? I'll have to also buy another key for 10?

In other words, this free Windows 10 upgrade is for this computer and this computer only?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Torgo2727 posted:

My Windows 10 is ready to download. The way i'm understanding these posts, it seems that if I upgrade and get my Windows 10 key, then in 6 months or so after buying a new computer, I won't be able to use my Windows 10 key for the new computer? I'll have to also buy another key for 10?

In other words, this free Windows 10 upgrade is for this computer and this computer only?

In 6 months your new computer will probably come with Windows 10.

If you're building it from scratch, it seems like as long as you reinstall Windows 7/8/8.1/whatever's on your system first, you can still upgrade.

--- Speculation below here ----

The way it sounds is that the Windows 10 upgrade just looks at your key and determines "is this a valid Windows Key, Y/N?" If Yes, then it lets you upgrade, and it doesn't care about people reusing keys in order to get more copies of Windows 10.

So in theory, you could install Windows 7, activate it, upgrade to Windows 10, and repeat for as many computers as you like.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Torgo2727 posted:

Yes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

In 6 months your new computer will probably come with Windows 10.

If you're building it from scratch, it seems like as long as you reinstall Windows 7/8/8.1/whatever's on your system first, you can still upgrade.

--- Speculation below here ----

The way it sounds is that the Windows 10 upgrade just looks at your key and determines "is this a valid Windows Key, Y/N?" If Yes, then it lets you upgrade, and it doesn't care about people reusing keys in order to get more copies of Windows 10.

So in theory, you could install Windows 7, activate it, upgrade to Windows 10, and repeat for as many computers as you like.

I've tested this incdientally, it allowed me to use the Windows 7 key I was using on this laptop, before I installed Windows 10, to install 7 in a VM running on the same laptop. And then it also let me upgrade to Windows 10 for free within that VM.

So at the very least you can sue the same legit 7 key to upgrade to Windows 10 twice.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm going to do a clean reinstall of win 7. I can have it only wipe one partition, right?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I forgot to mention that I play games on this system so am I better off sticking with Windows 7 for now or go ahead and upgrade to Windows 10? And if I do upgrade should I do a clean install afterwards or will a upgrade install work without breaking stuff?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finally got all the issues I was having fixed, but got one minor thing that is very annoying. On Window 8.1, my laptop whenever I unplugged it from the external monitor would keep the windows exactly the same. But now in Window 10 my windows get very tiny when I unplug it. It's not the laptop internal resolution, as it 1920 x 1080 on the laptop and on the external monitor.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Read posted:

Try reinstalling the C++ 2010 redistributable? I'm pretty sure that's where that dll is from.

As opposed to just replacing the one file, I mean.

I did try that but it didn't work...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I can buy one of these Windows 7 SP1 Pro Keys and then upgrade right now to 10, yes? Is that how that works?

(doing this via Bootcamp, if it matters.)

[edit]

Hmm, there's a wait? Is it bad?

"Upgrade

After you have reserved, you are in the queue for your upgrade. Watch for your notification from the Get Windows 10 app to arrive in the coming days or weeks. At that point, you can upgrade immediately or pick a time that works for you."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro, I guess? What advantages does 10 Pro have over the usual? Or, better phrasing: are any extra features worth a turd?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Shinjobi posted:

Upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro, I guess? What advantages does 10 Pro have over the usual? Or, better phrasing: are any extra features worth a turd?

What advantages does this automobile have over say, a train--which I could also afford!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shinjobi posted:

Bitlocker, Hyper-V, and remote desktop? I'm sure there's some other stuff.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Feenix posted:

So I can buy one of these Windows 7 SP1 Pro Keys and then upgrade right now to 10, yes? Is that how that works?

[edit]

"Upgrade

After you have reserved, you are in the queue for your upgrade. Watch for your notification from the Get Windows 10 app to arrive in the coming days or weeks. At that point, you can upgrade immediately or pick a time that works for you."

The Windows Update version is a staggered rollout that tries to pre-download all the needed parts before prompting you to upgrade. It does this as an idle process, so may take a few days to complete.

You can always grab the media creation tool, download the right version to a usb stick, and start the upgrade from within windows, and it will upgrade correctly.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Twerk from Home posted:

Bitlocker, Hyper-V, and remote desktop? I'm sure there's some other stuff.

Strangely, my Toshiba Encore 2 Write never had the Pro version installed, but still had Bitlocker enabled. I couldn't access any Bitlocker settings, but there's a Bitlocker key for it in my Microsoft Account. Upgrading to Windows 10, the drive still seems to be encrypted. Is there a weird tablet SKU?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*Ignore me, think I answered my own question.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 7, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Feenix posted:

[edit]

"Upgrade

I wouldn't do anything with Windows 10 on a Mac until Apple says they're supporting it, but some people are saying that it mostly works fine.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

computer parts posted:

I wouldn't do anything with Windows 10 on a Mac until Apple says they're supporting it, but some people are saying that it mostly works fine.
Sound advice but I'm a big impatient baby, so I already installed it. ;p

Feenix fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I just discovered that Windows 8 disables the ability to get into the bios/uefi when you're booting off an ssd because "it would be really really hard to hit the 200ms window". :wtc: just leave it in there and also add in your new way!

(I cloned my drive, and apparently I forgot to tell windows "use the drivers on the disk you are now on", so it's still trying to get them off my old drive, which I formatted (because I'm dumb). I get the "black screen + cursor" loop from boot, and I can't Shift + Restart because clicking on the power button on login results in an error about not being able to access security and settings or something. I'm running off a laptop, I now have no way to get into safe mode, or to tell it to boot from my USB DVD drive. My next step is to hope I'm mis-remembering and that my ancient desktop mobo has enough connections to run this ssd at the same time as my system ssd that's already in there I guess. :v:)

E: Oh jesus, I finally found out how to get it to get me to a uefi options/safe mode option. I just had to power off in the middle of a boot. :cripes:

surc fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 7, 2015