Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Then tell me why this game deserves more than a couple plays before binning it? Just saying "Nuh uh, you're wrong and dumb lol" doesn't do anything to create discussion, but just makes you look like a dick. Explain why this

isn't inherently bad in a co-op game and strips player agency. Or is your final conclusion going to be "it's just fun"?

Quite frankly I don't care if you ever play it again. I just don't want other people reading your original post of 'this game is bad' and never trying it.

The luck in this game absolutely does not strip all player agency. As I already said, correct plays and strategy do a lot to mitigate the wrinkles the event deck and dice rolls throw at you. The key to this game is rolling with the punches and changing strategy based on the condition of the board. Sometimes this isn't enough and you still lose. So it goes. I can see how that wouldn't be for everyone.

Stelas posted:

e: Haha, I forgot that one player threw up their hands and quit the game after the first turn because the rulebook was that opaque to them.

I can't defend the rulebook, it's terrible.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I ran the Robinson Crusoe PBP and will freely admit I consider it a bad game. The event deck has a tendency to spiral out of control with no real control from the players - you pretty much have to consistently risk ? cards or else starve - while the nature of the game (multiplayer but no actual turns, you just discuss your actions) makes it ludicrously quarterbackable, a problem only exacerbated by a shockingly awful rulebook and a bunch of fiddly upkeep steps every time you do something.

It's not bad as a solitaire game but there's way better choices if you have multiple players.

e: Haha, I forgot that one player threw up their hands and quit the game after the first turn because the rulebook was that opaque to them.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Basically if you want a couple people running around in the middle of bumfuck nowhere trying not to die and rolling sadness dice just play Ghost Stories.

Or give it all up and become a Hanabi god.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Andarel posted:

Basically if you want a couple people running around in the middle of bumfuck nowhere trying not to die and rolling sadness dice just play Ghost Stories Andean Abyss.

e: whoo actual content

BonHair posted:

Wait, introducing players to COIN games is easy? I've been holding out because of the combination of theme and inaccessibility, but if they're accessible like you say, I will have to get one straight away.

Also, why can't I find any solid info on the european (Danish) release of Codenames and the Mage Knight expansion? I want those now!

Well 'easy' is a relative term. It still takes a good half hour to explain and then it takes a while to get into the groove of things and the people have to actually want to pay attention; but it is actually possible to explain verbally (try teaching someone Empire of the Sun if they haven't read the manual) and once you get into it it's relatively simple to play. I'd reccomend trying out the solitaire mode on VASSAL and seeing if you think you could teach it.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 6, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Kaddish posted:

You played a game twice and have a terrible opinion. It's true that luck of the roll and the draw of the event deck can gently caress you in this game. This doesn't detract from the experience for me at all. The rulebook is indeed not the best but the mechanics are just fine. I've played this game -more- than twice and I absolutely know that correct plays/decisions lead to better outcomes.

I played it 10+ times before selling it (because its poo poo) and even if you want a co-op where the dice occasionally gently caress you, Ghost Stories is like a million times better.

RC is rated so highly on BGG because its ~dripping with theme~ (translated: highly random with some flavour text)

Edit: beaten on GS I guess

Kaddish posted:

The key to this game is rolling with the punches and changing strategy based on the condition of the board.
This is the same defense that gets trotted out for every high variance game as though critics are idiots rather than people with standards for the implementation of said variance.

Crusoe has so much terribly implemented variance from the book/? event ordering to the strictly better/worse animals to the adventure cards with benefits that all but guarantee you won't see their 'drawback' to the two loving useless treasures that have absolutely no reason to exist other than as a 'gently caress you' to the players. The dice aren't even the biggest problem with the game.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 6, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Kaddish posted:

I'm not sure what balance problem you're referring to specifically. It's true the event deck can be a bit a random, as well as the dice, and some games seem like a breeze while others feel like they're doomed at the start. None of these things make it a bad game, in my opinion. If someone would like a co-op game with perfect information and no luck then this wouldn't be for them I guess. Of course, this would exclude some very excellent games.

Robinson Crusoe isn't my favorite co-op but its incredibly solid.

You played a game twice and have a terrible opinion. It's true that luck of the roll and the draw of the event deck can gently caress you in this game. This doesn't detract from the experience for me at all. The rulebook is indeed not the best but the mechanics are just fine. I've played this game -more- than twice and I absolutely know that correct plays/decisions lead to better outcomes.

You sound like such a douche when you talk like this

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

With all this stuff about Exploding Kittens, I decided to buy Falling. Game is good. Play as fast as possible.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Well 'easy' is a relative term. It still takes a good half hour to explain and then it takes a while to get into the groove of things and the people have to actually want to pay attention; but it is actually possible to explain verbally (try teaching someone Empire of the Sun if they haven't read the manual) and once you get into it it's relatively simple to play. I'd reccomend trying out the solitaire mode on VASSAL and seeing if you think you could teach it.
I can't imagine being able to explain EotS to someone that hasn't read the rules at all, but I am going to try. The issue with EotS is that it is a lot like Twilight Struggle or Napoleon's Triumph (the latter comparison is especially true). You can understand the rules all you want but if you don't know the implication of the rules in regards to strategy you are not going to have a good time.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

StashAugustine posted:

Basically if you want a couple people running around in the middle of bumfuck nowhere trying not to die and rolling sadness dice just play Ghost Stories Andean Abyss Can't Stop.

But yeah, huge co-op fan and got bored of RC after a couple of plays. It's not that bad, but there are so many more interesting games out there even if they aren't quite as "thematic". Magic Realm still the best though.

I really want to play Fire in the Lake :<

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stelas posted:

I ran the Robinson Crusoe PBP and will freely admit I consider it a bad game. The event deck has a tendency to spiral out of control with no real control from the players - you pretty much have to consistently risk ? cards or else starve - while the nature of the game (multiplayer but no actual turns, you just discuss your actions) makes it ludicrously quarterbackable, a problem only exacerbated by a shockingly awful rulebook and a bunch of fiddly upkeep steps every time you do something.

It's not bad as a solitaire game but there's way better choices if you have multiple players.

Was that me, or in addition to me? I thought I stayed to the end, but I may just have been reading the thread after a while. Either way my entire contribution to the game was "yeah, do what the guy who's played it before says".

Robinson Crusoe is a loving terrible game.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Robinson Crusoe isn't great. I tried to convince myself it was for a while, but it's just not. I regret being suckered by the theme and the initial buzz around it that almost every single boardgame gets before people have played a decent amount and dissected the mechanics.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I really can't stand Ghost Stories any longer - and I never really liked it much in the first place. I've even played it a bunch since it was one of the only co-ops we had at the time. I don't understand how people can grumble about e.g. Robinson Crusoe's die rolling or quarterbackable-ness and junk but not feel the same things about Ghost Stories :shrug:

It's hard, makes me feel unlucky and regularly hosed over by random draws and rolls, and is otherwise just sort of (subjectively) boring. It's a good example of different strokes for different folks because to me it's a game where the gameplay can be stripped down to: draw cards to see how many steps back, roll dice to see if you take a step forward, congrats if you make it to China otherwise lol.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tekopo posted:

You can understand the rules all you want but if you don't know the implication of the rules in regards to strategy you are not going to have a good time.

deckbuilders.txt right here :haw:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mister Sinewave posted:

deckbuilders.txt right here :haw:

Naw, NT and games with rules like it are a different beast. In Dominion, if you buy whatever looks good and someone executes a real strategy and kicks your rear end, you at least felt like you did something, right? You bought stuff, you got some points, you lost, but you could have a good time doing so.

In NT, if you put a corp into a big locale without support, you're just gonna lose it without getting anything in return. And then your opponent sends cavalry around your flanks and then you're surrounded and then you lose, having accomplished essentially nothing. It's really important when teaching it to explain "And here's why you don't want to go into these locales without cavalry support" and "here's roughly how to use artillery" and "here's where, if you extend too much, the French will bring on reinforcements and slaughter you".

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Mister Sinewave posted:

I really can't stand Ghost Stories any longer - and I never really liked it much in the first place. I've even played it a bunch since it was one of the only co-ops we had at the time. I don't understand how people can grumble about e.g. Robinson Crusoe's die rolling or quarterbackable-ness and junk but not feel the same things about Ghost Stories :shrug:

It's hard, makes me feel unlucky and regularly hosed over by random draws and rolls, and is otherwise just sort of (subjectively) boring. It's a good example of different strokes for different folks because to me it's a game where the gameplay can be stripped down to: draw cards to see how many steps back, roll dice to see if you take a step forward, congrats if you make it to China otherwise lol.

For one, the rules of Ghost Stories are way more straightforward and the gambling is much more obvious on its face so new players don't really feel like they need to follow what experienced players are saying because otherwise it doesn't make sense.

For two, the die roll odds are super predictable and you can actively mess with them unless you're dealing with Black Widow bullshit by picking up tokens, and once you get going you can chain actions and do really fun poo poo with some of the monks. There's enough randomness to make things tense but since you're usually trying to roll a 1-in-3 on 3 dice the odds definitely don't suck. You want to risk big turns that's on you (I've seen quad red rolled to kill a 4-red at least twice but usually it just screws you).

And for three, it's like 1/2 to 1/3 as long and the difficulty is pretty stable, you get to see how screwed you are at the start of your turn and usually things get worse slowly rather than just popping up a bunch of bullshit you need to deal with ASAP. Plus the you're hosed over clock is also the game clock so if you're dealing with annoying mooks you're also progressing in the game faster. Plus poo poo like Buddhas and double attacks let you obviously gain ground over the game while there are reasonable Oh poo poo buttons like the Sorcerer.

It's not anywhere near solved, it's damned hard, but you kinda need to go into it knowing you're a default level of hosed and you've gotta fight your way out of that. Plus individual consecutive turns reduce quarterbacking as opposed to RC's collective planning because some new BS will pop up each turn to deal with and Red needs to make sure people are where they need to be (and of course everyone wants Red to help 'em out so it's not like he's calling all the shots).

EBag
May 18, 2006

I also wasn't a fan of RC, though I don't like many co-ops in general(outside of Space Alert and Escape). Played it about 5 times and it never felt like we won or lost because of the decisions we made since we made similar choices each play, it just felt like "oh, the even/adventure decks let us win this time. Wee". Totally unsatisfying game to win since you know a turn or two in advance if you're going to win or lose and just go through the motions to finish, aside from never feeling like what we did really mattered much outside of small efficiencies. And yah, ~dripping with theme~.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Mister Sinewave posted:

You actually shouldn't be rolling too many dice in Ghost Stories, unless you'll immediately lose if you don't. Dice rolls are mostly to see how many tokens you need to burn. It's a game about managing Ghost placement and timing to waste as few actions as possible on actually attacking, so you can spend your actions on guaranteed rewards.

Robinson works the opposite way, you should generally roll dice unless you'll immediately lose if you fail an action because adventure cards are about as likely to be good as they are bad and doubling your potential actions is obviously good. So, you flip those cards and see if the game wants you to win. That's the main difference - random things in Ghost Stories vary from "bad" to "very bad" and you generally want to minimise your exposure to them, in Robinson they vary from "very bad" to "very good" and you're encouraged to expose yourself to them. It's a far less controlled player experience.

You can still get dice hosed in Ghost Stories and its quarterbackable obviously, I'd never begrudge someone disliking it for those reasons. Doesn't stop it being much better in that class than Crusoe.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It's funny that ~dripping with theme~ is a high form of praise elsewhere, but it suggests that the theme could be removed and is not intrinsic to the thing at all.

Give me a theme alloy, at least. A really good thematic game should require nuclear fission to remove the theme, not a paper towel :colbert:

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Plus speeding up the clock and getting hit by a lot of ghosts isn't necessarily bad in GS because if you can deal with them it lets you focus on the actual problems (since win condition is "survive a certain number of ghosts" which isn't necessarily equal to turns) and a bunch of ghosts are just annoying and can give big rewards like the rank 4 guys. Cursers are annoying as hell though and spawning lots of ghosts is usually bad though.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's funny that ~dripping with theme~ is a high form of praise elsewhere, but it suggests that the theme could be removed and is not intrinsic to the thing at all.

Give me a theme alloy, at least. A really good thematic game should require nuclear fission to remove the theme, not a paper towel :colbert:

I think ~dripping with theme~ is the sarcastic version that implies the theme kinda works but they went way overboard at the expense of mechanics and the game kinda turned into a Mediocre Story Generator. Go play Magic Realm then, the real best Thematic Co-Op.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

*gif of a man dropping a cardboard box, theme spills everywhere*

"There's got to be a better way!"

*Mage Knight spins on to the screen*

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Bubble-T posted:

*gif of a man dropping a cardboard box, theme spills everywhere*

"There's got to be a better way!"

*Mage Knight spins on to the screen*

Mage Knight!

It's themaaaaaatic!

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
I'm hoping Keyflower is as good as everyone always says cause I dropped some bucks on that reprint Kickstarter.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I say we just replace the expression with ~themen~? Shall I create a poll y/n?

EBag
May 18, 2006

Vlaada is the king of theme integrating perfectly with the mechanics, like Space Alert or Dungeon Petz. In most cases (reddit) it's used because like someone said there are some flavor cards in the game and random whacky things can happen that are vaguely related to the theme of the game, even if other parts make sense thematically (Dead of Winter).

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Yeah, Vlaada's really good at it. I'm not super impressed by how a lot of his games play because they always feel like either micro-optimization puzzles or clusterfucks (or both in the case of Galaxy Trucker) but the theme always works real well. And they're usually legit good games across the board.

Richard Hamblen is probably the real theme-master but now he's the bg designer equivalent of a crazy hermit who lives in the forest and doesn't answer emails.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I find I enjoy both theme games and ones with better mechanics, although I'd rather play the former solitaire than with other people. But then again I'm probably just not very good at boardgames.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Thematic generally just means "nice components + theme I personally like". Which, in turn, generally just means games that aren't about farming or anime.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's also funny that ~dripping with theme~ is typically a dog whistle for people who have a shallow sense of imagination. Everything that is nominally praised for its theme drippings is merely a facade because people specifically need art and pieces with Cthulhu or zombies or space ships. So the art pieces are there but it never inspires much of a feeling. Ironically, despite its attempts there actually is no theme. It could be wholly removed as fizzy posted.

Theme alloys:
I am probably still on a new game high but Tash Kalar has been the most thematic game I've played in forever. It inspires the feeling of the tense dread of combat, it imagines the scrawling of magical rune shapes that wizards might use, the effects of the cards feel like impressive arcane spells. And they manage to do this with nothing more colored Go pieces with art to show strength.

I think space alert and Galaxy trucker are the other games I'd say have good theme alloy. And those use goofy as poo poo art that's just meant to make identification easy. But holy poo poo you're more panicked in those games than you ever are in any zombie game I can think of.

Perhaps Vlaada is good at thematic gameplay but people praise him for his mechanical prowess instead.

E: ugh this is what happens when I make long posts lol.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think a good way of putting it is that Vlaada might be the method actor of board games. Or rather, the teacher of method acting and the players are the students who actually feel their roles.

The theme dripping games are more like short bouts of improv.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Played Robinson Crusoe. Theme is strong but mechanics are bad. Overall that means it is bad, would not recommend.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Lord Frisk posted:

You sound like such a douche when you talk like this

You're probably right and there is a reason I follow this thread but rarely post in it. There are a lot of people that cite subjective opinions as objective fact and it annoys me. "This game has this mechanic/too much of this mechanic and is therefore objectively bad" type of stuff. People like all kinds of different things and Robinson Crusoe is definitely a game I would recommend anyone try regardless of the consensus in this thread. I think the thread title is appropriate here.

Back to lurking!

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Bubble-T posted:

You actually shouldn't be rolling too many dice in Ghost Stories, unless you'll immediately lose if you don't. Dice rolls are mostly to see how many tokens you need to burn. It's a game about managing Ghost placement and timing to waste as few actions as possible on actually attacking, so you can spend your actions on guaranteed rewards.

Robinson works the opposite way, you should generally roll dice unless you'll immediately lose if you fail an action because adventure cards are about as likely to be good as they are bad and doubling your potential actions is obviously good. So, you flip those cards and see if the game wants you to win. That's the main difference - random things in Ghost Stories vary from "bad" to "very bad" and you generally want to minimise your exposure to them, in Robinson they vary from "very bad" to "very good" and you're encouraged to expose yourself to them. It's a far less controlled player experience.

You can still get dice hosed in Ghost Stories and its quarterbackable obviously, I'd never begrudge someone disliking it for those reasons. Doesn't stop it being much better in that class than Crusoe.

I remember Ignacy posting a blog about how he actually got advice from his holiness Vlaada, who told him that was the exact problem with Robinson Crusoe and how to fix it and he blew off his advice after crying in his hotel room.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

I think a good way of putting it is that Vlaada might be the method actor of board games.

I agree, he has submerged himself completely in the role of a game designer without actually being one.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jedit posted:

I agree, he has submerged himself completely in the role of a game designer without actually being one.

Yeah he won't be a real designer unless he does a hex and counter wargame. :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jedit posted:

I can't wait for Vlaada vs. Vlaada.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Countblanc posted:

Thematic generally just means "nice components + theme I personally like". Which, in turn, generally just means games that aren't about farming or anime.

I would argue that anime as hell Tragegy Looper is hella thematic. But personal opinions and junk.

Chill la Chill posted:

I can't wait for Vlaada vs. Vlaada.

Vladda vs. Vladda, the team based game design board game! Compete against your friends to create the perfect Vladda game.

I'm sure that it would be like the next Vladda clusterfuck that actually plays well

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Tragedy Looper is definitely hella thematic. Those mechanics pretty much do exactly what the theme'd make you think they do and if you changed the theme nothing would make sense.

Code of Nine, another Bakafire game, is interestingly thematic - it didn't feel like the theme worked that well when I was playing, but looking back at it it actually makes a lot of sense. I'm just not sure why the Memory cards apply to everyone.

Btw, the Ignacy/Vlaada thing was posted here.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jedit posted:

Jedit hates vlaada, news at 11.

Chomp8645 posted:

Played Robinson Crusoe. Theme is strong but mechanics are bad. Overall that means it is bad, would not recommend.

I'm genuinely curious why people think the theme is strong in RC. I'm actually sort of curious what actually constitutes theme to various people as well. I find RC to be pretty bland and not all that thematic or engrossing.

vvv He's not wrong about there being objectively better decisions you can usually make and experience helping, but the dice really do determine how hosed you are generally, so all that 'skill' is basically tossed out the window by a bad roll.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 6, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kaddish posted:

There are a lot of people that cite subjective opinions as objective fact and it annoys me."

Kaddish posted:

It's true the event deck can be a bit a random, as well as the dice, and some games seem like a breeze while others feel like they're doomed at the start. None of these things make it a bad game, in my opinion.

Kaddish posted:

I've played this game -more- than twice and I absolutely know that correct plays/decisions lead to better outcomes.

OBJECTIVE OPINIONS ONLY PLEASE

lol this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kaddish posted:

You're probably right and there is a reason I follow this thread but rarely post in it. There are a lot of people that cite subjective opinions as objective fact and it annoys me. "This game has this mechanic/too much of this mechanic and is therefore objectively bad" type of stuff. People like all kinds of different things and Robinson Crusoe is definitely a game I would recommend anyone try regardless of the consensus in this thread. I think the thread title is appropriate here.

Back to lurking!
This is probably one of the positions to hold that I particularly dislike. Dude, just place out your opinions and don't give a poo poo if the other person thinks their opinion is objective or not. All opinions are subjective to some degree, the trick is to analyse games in a way that allows you to criticise/praise a game with at least some explanation of why your opinions were formed. Rutibex didn't stop posting, you shouldn't either. Dissent leads to better conversation and explanations of game mechanisms/theme than constant agreement.