Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Well, there's your compression leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What'd they do, run it on urine? The right side of that combustion chamber looks terrifyingly clean.

What's the air filter look like?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What'd they do, run it on urine? The right side of that combustion chamber looks terrifyingly clean.

What's the air filter look like?

K&N garbage, hasn't been cleaned in ages.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

K&N garbage, hasn't been cleaned in ages.

Ah, a clodsucker filter. Couple years ago I looked at a used Impreza with a prominent K&N sticker.

Lifted the hood and found that they had chopped the air piping all the way back into an open fender (missing fender liner) and stuck on a K&N pod filter which had clogged up with dirt, collapsed and had an open airway directly to the MAF where the seam on the filter had torn.

Closed the hood.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ah, a clodsucker filter. Couple years ago I looked at a used Impreza with a prominent K&N sticker.

Lifted the hood and found that they had chopped the air piping all the way back into an open fender (missing fender liner) and stuck on a K&N pod filter which had clogged up with dirt, collapsed and had an open airway directly to the MAF where the seam on the filter had torn.

Closed the hood.

Its generally why I frown on K&N, because usually if I find a car with K&N on it, its going to look bad.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

CommieGIR posted:

01 Honda Accord. #3 cylinder no compression. We'll see.

If you fix this the automatic is going to grenade itself next

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

8ender posted:

While doing 65 on the freeway...

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Its generally why I frown on K&N, because usually if I find a car with K&N on it, its going to look bad.

I'm in the same boat, I hate on their stuff pretty hard and people in the groups go no no no it's good!!! Yes because when the filter collapses in half and sucks in enough dirt to kill a turbo you have a great reliable product.

I seem to think of someone had two similar toyotas with different filters and there was a long term filter test, but I could never find the article or post again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

8ender posted:

Thankfully, its a manual. And its not my car so let it die.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Welp, my 90 Quattro designed to imitate a Land Rover and spill enough oil that the dipstick shows naught. Refilled, and now has a nasty lifter tick.

Son of a bitch.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
That loving blows.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

That loving blows.

Culprit found. The lifter quieted down, but still, I'm gonna have to replace them all at least, if not borescope the cylinders.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

loving oil senders.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Stay strong, little obscure Audi!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Stay strong, little obscure Audi!

Lifter is dead silent this morning, so I'm hoping it was just the sudden drop in oil pressure, triple checked after starting, driving, and stopping the motor for new leaks, no new oil has appeared.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Those 5 cyls are notorious for having lifter tick if the oil pressure drops at all. I would even give it a second thought.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Sick of driving in the heat of Hotlanta, I finally broke down and devised a scheme to recharge the R12 AC system.

By filling it with PC Duster, which contained Difluoroethane, AKA R152, which is an EPA approved replacement for R12 and alternative to R134A.

First snag: The Can Tap (green oil filter wrench looking thing) needs a pin to open the schrader valve so you can fill via the AC manifold, so I had to cut a small piece of metal rod and use it to push open the schrader valve on the tap. Then, filled like a charm.
Success! After evacuating the system to zero, and then filling it with the R152, the compressor kicked on a couple times, then stayed on steady, the gauges showed good fill pressure, and the air is blowing cold.

Then drove 150 miles to Guard Weekend, blew cold all the way, enough to start frosting the front window.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Pretty sweet. Did you not have to put oil in?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pretty sweet. Did you not have to put oil in?

Nope. And I've been checking pressure and listening to the compressor at intervals, steady and smooth and pressure is holding steady.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Super kickass. Rock on, you crazy bastard.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Super kickass. Rock on, you crazy bastard.

In other news: Someone is donating me a VW/Volvo D24T 2.4l Turbodiesel Inline 6.

It bolts up to the Audi 4000 Quattro Transmission.....interesting....

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That doesn't surprise me at all. There used to be a video from some crazy Finns where they strapped a D24 to a dilapidated 740, stuck a stack out the hood (complete with flapper valve) and thrashed it in a field to the sound of Jessica Simpson's rendition of Take My Breath Away.

I'm pretty sure at one point they put an Audi I5 diesel on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ-kZc0vlyg

Here's more of that same car making the poof poofs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfNi6QXxva8

Later, it made more poof poofs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGpn3w0qigo

It goes without saying that I would daily drive this fine automobile.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 1, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That doesn't surprise me at all. There used to be a video from some crazy Finns where they strapped a D24 to a dilapidated 740, stuck a stack out the hood (complete with flapper valve) and thrashed it in a field to the sound of Jessica Simpson's rendition of Take My Breath Away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ-kZc0vlyg

Here's more of that same car making the poof poofs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfNi6QXxva8

Later, it made more poof poofs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGpn3w0qigo

It goes without saying that I would daily drive this fine automobile.

I don't see how I can go wrong with this

And some tinkering with the Injection pump and replacing the injectors and turbo :getin:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Their fabrication was top notch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu1fbjQPKdQ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That's it. Next Mad Max, they need a totally inappropriate Turbodiesel Volvo 740 setup like this. True Apocalypse style.

.....is that coolant pouring into the intake?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm going to be honest with you.

Yes.

It's water injection and not at all a clumsy hack to keep the engine working for long enough to survive an entire filming with that China Syndrome radiator leak.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I'm going to be honest with you.

Yes.

It's water injection and not at all a clumsy hack to keep the engine working for long enough to survive an entire filming with that China Syndrome radiator leak.

Chances are the pressure in the coolant is due to a cracked head, apparently common with those engines if you don't let them warm up.

But that is bad rear end.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Unless your compressor has its own oil supply, you're going to have to change it.

R12 systems use mineral oil, which is not soluble in r152a, meaning it's likely accumulating someplace until your compressor goes dry.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

In other news: Someone is donating me a VW/Volvo D24T 2.4l Turbodiesel Inline 6.

It bolts up to the Audi 4000 Quattro Transmission.....interesting....
My parents had a Volvo 240 Diesel and it was a massive piece of poo poo. Apparently the design was modified from a 4cyl and it never oiled properly. It spent more time in the shop than out of it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

Unless your compressor has its own oil supply, you're going to have to change it.

R12 systems use mineral oil, which is not soluble in r152a, meaning it's likely accumulating someplace until your compressor goes dry.

Its PARTIALLY soluble in R152, its completely not soluble in R134, at least according to the tests I'm finding.

http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1443&context=iracc

http://infohouse.p2ric.org/ref/22/21162.pdf

So yeah, I probably need to change the oil out, but its not likely to be a major issue right now.

Wrar posted:

My parents had a Volvo 240 Diesel and it was a massive piece of poo poo. Apparently the design was modified from a 4cyl and it never oiled properly. It spent more time in the shop than out of it.

From what I've been reading, the issue was exasperated by people not letting the engine warm up before use, and it demands synthetic only oil.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 3, 2015

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Considering that we lived in Miami at the time and we idled it out of the neighborhood being warm wasn't really an issue, and my dad was a huge believer in synthetic oil. It's just an awful engine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

Considering that we lived in Miami at the time and we idled it out of the neighborhood being warm wasn't really an issue, and my dad was a huge believer in synthetic oil. It's just an awful engine.

Warming up for a diesel doesn't just mean temperature, you have to sit and let the engine get the oil moving around.

For instance: Detroit Diesels recommend a 5-10 minute warm up period before use in order to get everything lubricated before use or they will wear out prematurely.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Warming up for a diesel doesn't just mean temperature, you have to sit and let the engine get the oil moving around.

For instance: Detroit Diesels recommend a 5-10 minute warm up period before use in order to get everything lubricated before use or they will wear out prematurely.
Yeah, the Volvo I6 was just the Rabbit IDI motor with 2 more cylinders tacked on. Oil came up for the cam on Cyl 1, and didn't make it to Cyl 6 very well until it thinned out after being warmed up.

As for the DD, they also piss oil out of every orifice (and thru the block)... and everywhere else.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

Mafoose, I ended up charging the system with a can of Ester oil, checked compatibility and that seems to be the best match for R152A. Seems to be making it a little happier.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Mafoose, I ended up charging the system with a can of Ester oil, checked compatibility and that seems to be the best match for R152A. Seems to be making it a little happier.

Esther oil works good on retrofits, that's what I'm running in mine.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I am glad to hear your conversion is working out well.

I am planning on doing my Range Rover Classic AC with R152a, but my system doesn't have a low side cut off, just a TXV valve. I assume this will do all the poo poo that a low side cut off will, but I need to pick motronics brain a little more.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I found out why the 90 refused to idle properly with the AC on:

The Throttle Valve Closed switch was pushed back and could not get contact, so the ECU was assuming that the engine was always at partial-full throttle, causing the Idle Air Solenoid to open late.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 17, 2015

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

I found out why the 90 refused to idle properly with the AC on:

The Throttle Valve Closed switch was pushed back and could not get contact, so the ECU was assuming that the engine was always at partial-full throttle, causing the Idle Air Solenoid to open late.

Those microswitches are a pain. I had the full-throttle switch get gummed up once, and it caused all sorts of havoc. Sort of like a sticky secondary butterfly in a throttle body or Carb.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Those microswitches are a pain. I had the full-throttle switch get gummed up once, and it caused all sorts of havoc. Sort of like a sticky secondary butterfly in a throttle body or Carb.

That's what I was hunting. I was sure it was either an Idle Air Control Valve or O2 Sensor/Mass Air Flow Sensor issue, and found that.

A week later, and its working great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

That's what I was hunting. I was sure it was either an Idle Air Control Valve or O2 Sensor/Mass Air Flow Sensor issue, and found that.

A week later, and its working great.

Oh, are you still interested in VW Snowflakes? I think we chatted about it, and it got bypassed. I've got a bunch, and no VWs onto which to install them. I keep one set for the wife's Fit (wrong taper lugs instead of wheel bolts, yeah yeah yeah), but the rest can certainly go away.

• Locked thread