Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Gerblyn posted:

It might be. I went in expecting it to be like Deus Ex, with small groups of enemies which you would deal with slowly and carefully, where it's actually quite hectic waves of enemies constantly spawn and attack you from all directions.

I'll do some testing and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Really loving helpful, thanks! My only remaining question is: Is this game too fast paced or complex to play while baked out of my gourd? This is important tia.

No sweat. Try smoking weed and then reading all the terminals in the library. Let me know how this works out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

1. Play Vanguard on Insanity, the only way to roll.
2. Use gibbed Mass Effect editor to give yourself 99999 of every mineral to skip the planet scanning minigame. You can even change your Shepard's class! (to Vanguard)
3. The game kind of favors going all Paragon or all Renegade for some important late game speech checks.
4. There is a mission late in the game called Reaper IFF. Don't do this mission until you've seen pretty much all there is to see because it starts a two mission countdown to the point of no return. If you don't do the Point of No Return right away, Bad Things Happen.
5. Remember to upgrade your ship and chat with squadmates in between missions to do their loyalties.
6. Paragon/Renegade interrupts are amusing but sometimes it's better to just let the scenes play out, your call though.
7. Try to get at least the Shadow Broker, Kasumi, and Zaaed DLC if you haven't already. Overlord is cool too. Arrival is,okay but skippable in my opinion, do it after the main campaign for maximum continuity. Get Kasumi right away, she kicks rear end and so does the SMG you get in her mission.

Beyond that, enjoy. Mass Effect 2 owns.

Just to clarify a bit on No.4 here, you don't have to do the Big Final Missions right away after Reaper IFF. You are free to do two missions more (and you have to do one anyway for the last Squadmate Loyalty mission) before Bad Things Will Happen during the big final mission.

Also you [i]really/i] have to fully upgrade your ship before the final mission. They're not just nice-to-have extras...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

paco650 posted:

No sweat. Try smoking weed and then reading all the terminals in the library. Let me know how this works out.
Christ.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

paco650 posted:

Shinji is a man of tradition and throws killer weekend parties.

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009
About to play Eternal Darkness soon. Only heard bits and pieces about it, which I've forgotten most about. Anything important to know before starting it up?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

paco650 posted:

I made a little album for you. The pictures are worth about 1000 words each, which is good because I don't want to type them all. You're right though, the game is crazy convoluted but becomes very fun very fast when you simply let go of trying to make sense of things.

Every time there's a steam sale lately I see this game for about $2.50 and think about getting it for a long time and then I just don't for whatever reason, usually because I have other stuff to play that doesn't look completely insane complexity wise.

However this post makes me want to give it a shot now.

Kanfy posted:

Shinji is a man of tradition and throws killer weekend parties.

And this post makes me hesitant once again :wtc:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I'm planning on booting up E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy for the first time tonight. I read the wiki entry on it, but is there anything else I need to know? It seems like a pretty non-intuitive and complex game system.

Sometimes you'll want to verify that your legs are still attached and working good. Always remember it is the "V" key for leg Verification.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 6, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Brightman posted:

It shouldn't, it doesn't exactly represent the rest of the game. E.Y.E is a weird-rear end thing in many ways and worth experiencing especially since it's so cheap. It's one of those games that either really clicks or doesn't at all so it's worth seeing which one it ends up being.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kraxxukalf posted:

About to play Eternal Darkness soon. Only heard bits and pieces about it, which I've forgotten most about. Anything important to know before starting it up?
Oh man, loved that game. Uuuuh, kind of hard to think of things you'd need to know beforehand though since it's been so long since I played it. You're kinda sorta meant to play through it three times with each god at one point being your patron and its polar opposite being your enemy, which unlocks the "real" ending by the third time. I also remember getting the purple god's power to be something that's off the beaten path so you may want to look that up. To be honest I remember it being a pretty straightforward game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

Oh man, loved that game. Uuuuh, kind of hard to think of things you'd need to know beforehand though since it's been so long since I played it. You're kinda sorta meant to play through it three times with one god being your patron and its polar opposite being your enemy, which unlocks the "real" ending. I also remember getting the purple god's power to be something that's off the beaten path so you may want to look that up.

the game is basically rock paper scissors with the three gods colors so my tip would be don't be color blind because every puzzle is choosing the right color.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Kraxxukalf posted:

Nothing critical. If you're a giant baby like me, start with the Blue God, since that runthrough gets you the Restore Sanity spell the fastest. Or take the Green God if you'd prefer to get Restore Health first instead.

There's a secret rune and a secret weapon that are missable, but you definitely don't need either, and you'll probably want to play through multiple times anyway, if you want to look them up on a later run.

Secret Rune:
Appears in Chapter 6
Hint: Once you have the Summon Trapper spell, backtrack.

Secret Weapon:
Requires you to find three effigies, which are in Chapters 4, 8 and 11
The weapon itself is in Chapter 11

I don't remember the effigies or the place you cash them in for the weapon being hard to find. Maybe the middle one, which just requires that you keep Reveal Invisible up whenever it's relevant.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Saint Freak posted:

Sometimes you'll want to verify that your legs are still attached and working good. Always remember it is the "V" key for leg Verification.

Okay I'm back in.

Kanfy posted:

It shouldn't, it doesn't exactly represent the rest of the game. E.Y.E is a weird-rear end thing in many ways and worth experiencing especially since it's so cheap. It's one of those games that either really clicks or doesn't at all so it's worth seeing which one it ends up being.

I was sorta joking, unless like a vast majority of the logs are like that one or something. It's probably a game I'll like but I'll end up only playing like 5~10 hours of it and then just never touching it again like a lot of games in my Steam library...I have a problem.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Brightman posted:

I felt like this for a long time, but when I tried it I found I could get really, really far by just running around and shooting/stabbing/grenading everyone who seems to be an enemy. Imagine it like Doom, made by French people on Acid.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

I felt like this for a long time, but when I tried it I found I could get really, really far by just running around and shooting/stabbing/grenading everyone who seems to be an enemy. Imagine it like Doom, made by French people on Acid.

Was it the French? I always got a powerful Eastern European vibe from it. Like what Cyberpunk 2077 might end up like if the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. guys started doing a lot of LSD during dev time.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

paco650 posted:

Was it the French? I always got a powerful Eastern European vibe from it. Like what Cyberpunk 2077 might end up like if the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. guys started doing a lot of LSD during dev time.

It's French and based on a tabletop RPG system the devs created when they were teens. Explains a lot, really.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kraxxukalf posted:

Pick the Red statue for your first playthrough, it'll get you the healing spell right off the bat instead of much later in the game. Dont use the sanity restoration spell in modern-day, it takes away all the fun stuff. Also you take more damage when sanity is low, but it makes the game as a whole much more... interesting...

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pick the Red statue for your first playthrough, it'll get you the healing spell right off the bat instead of much later in the game. Dont use the sanity restoration spell in modern-day, it takes away all the fun stuff. Also you take more damage when sanity is low, but it makes the game as a whole much more... interesting...

Echoing the last point here, since it's not always apparent in some FAQs: the low sanity effects were a big selling point when the game came out. They're part of the experience, so I wouldn't agonize overmuch about always keeping your sanity at max. If you do, you arguably miss out on a lot of what made the game great.

That being said, I don't think you'll have to try hard to get the sanity effects, if my memory of this game serves...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you tire of the sanity gimmicks its super easy to jog in a circle for 20 seconds to get the mana to cure yourself. you can take them totally out of the game if you want which seems pretty strange unless there was a lot of division over the issue among the designers.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

limp_cheese posted:

A couple horrific atrocities you will commit can actually be avoided, kind of. If you ever get to a point where the game tells you to do something, it is ok to just say no and turn off the game. It was designed for that to be an option. You won't finish the story or know what happens, but sometimes that is preferable. If you don't know about the White Phosphorus incident you'll understand why that is an option afterwards.
Wait

I do not follow how the game was designed to that be an option if it does not have some sort of secret "you quit because we threw something horrible at you" cutscene. Or maybe it does.

It still makes me think about how as far as I am concerned the game Prey has a very bizarre ending where you are face-to-face with a choice you must make to continue, yet one that will singlehandedly invalidate your reason for continuing, so you shut the game off and uninstall it! What a strange plot twist.

Saint Freak posted:

hahahahahaha why do you have to probably be telling the truth :(

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Quarex posted:

Wait

I do not follow how the game was designed to that be an option if it does not have some sort of secret "you quit because we threw something horrible at you" cutscene. Or maybe it does.

It still makes me think about how as far as I am concerned the game Prey has a very bizarre ending where you are face-to-face with a choice you must make to continue, yet one that will singlehandedly invalidate your reason for continuing, so you shut the game off and uninstall it! What a strange plot twist.

hahahahahaha why do you have to probably be telling the truth :(

I think the central conceit is that bad things only continue to happen in the game because you continue to play the game with the bad things in them. It's kind of pretentious but hey, whatever floats your boat. It's definitely worth it to play to the end, as the insanity ramps up exponentially.

And about the V button thing, hey man, it's the cyberfuture. Sometimes your cyberlegs and cyberarms and cybermind just need a little knock every once in a while to make sure everything is still connected and working ok :awesomelon:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quarex posted:

Wait

How about a nice game of chess?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Quarex posted:

Wait

The game was designed so that turning it off was an option in the same way every other game was: You can turn it off.

If I don't like murdering people in ANY game, I can turn it off and stop playing it, and as far as I know Spec-Ops: The Line doesn't do anything differently when the user makes that choice, from any other game.

So I would say that no EXTRA design went into that use-case than with any other game.

It would have been nice if they had (Akin to "Turning off the machine" in that 90s X-Men game, I think it was, where they intercepted the hardware reset button).

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Quarex posted:

Wait

I mentioned it before but it used to have a cutscene and everything but the testers kept not finishing the game. If you're already past the point of feeling like you should stop I feel like there is closure waiting for you at the end but there's like...5 different endings? Some are pretty close to each other though, but I feel the choices you're presented with are clear enough that the ending you'll get will be fitting. Quitting is acceptable though as we've mentioned.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
i thought spec ops was pretty good but lmao you have to be some kind of hosed in the head to think that its super deep because you can just turn it of maaaaan

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

" Lead writer of Spec Ops posted:

"This is where the characters have to look at the consequences of their actions and say: 'Should we have gone further? Should we have left? Should we leave now? Is it right to keep going?'" Williams answered. "And if the player is thinking about seriously putting down the controller at this point, then that's exactly where we want them to be emotionally."
The game really is designed for it, though.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Captain Novolin posted:

i thought spec ops was pretty good but lmao you have to be some kind of hosed in the head to think that its super deep because you can just turn it of maaaaan

No. It's not deep. You're right. If anything it's blunt, and that's why it works.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

paco650 posted:

I made a little album for you. The pictures are worth about 1000 words each, which is good because I don't want to type them all. You're right though, the game is crazy convoluted but becomes very fun very fast when you simply let go of trying to make sense of things.

Is there an image about getting the game to run without crashing in the first level and thereafter crashing on startup every time?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

The game really is designed for it, though.

My take on the end of that quote is, "And if the player is thinking about seriously putting down the controller at this point, then that's exactly where we want them to be emotionally as they continue playing"

Because:

1) If a game is intentionally designed so that turning it off to be an option, then when the player turns it off at certain emotional points, they should be shown something which acknowledges their choice, otherwise it's terrible design.
2) All of the "evidence" I've seen has not outright stated that they wanted the player to actually turn the game off - just that they wanted the play to consider whether they were comfortable enough to keep playing.

Because as it stands, Spec-Ops: The Line is the equivalent of an author saying, "I wrote the book so that not reading it was an option", or a film maker saying, "I shot the film so that not watching it was an option".

And that's an option for every piece of entertainment ever, unless there is entertainment out there which forces you to watch/read/play.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I mean, I have seen it said of many things that the designer/author/director/etc doesn't care if it makes a portion of the audience too uncomfortable to continue on with it. I can imagine one of the devs saying that they wanted the game to get under the skin that way so that some people might decide not to finish, rather than conventional wisdom being that you want your audience to be comfortable enough to finish.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Centipeed posted:

My take on the end of that quote is, "And if the player is thinking about seriously putting down the controller at this point, then that's exactly where we want them to be emotionally as they continue playing"
This is pretty spot-on. For whatever reason (budget constraints, technological infeasibility, E3 deadline, writing team crushed by meteor) the "quit and never come back" scenario isn't really covered within the game, although the dialog and narration hints that it's a legitimate outcome.

quote:

Because as it stands, Spec-Ops: The Line is the equivalent of an author saying, "I wrote the book so that not reading it was an option", or a film maker saying, "I shot the film so that not watching it was an option".

And that's an option for every piece of entertainment ever, unless there is entertainment out there which forces you to watch/read/play.
It's true that this is an option for every piece of media, but I would argue that the context matters.

I made the "put it down" decision halfway through Dead Space. I was hoping for psychological horror and precision-shooting dismemberment, but what I got was mostly jump-scares and motion sickness. The game's content didn't entertain me enough to deal with its bullshit.

Spec Ops promises fun tactical shooter gameplay, exotic locales, ripped-from-the-headlines political intrigue, vehicle chases, and quirky squadmate banter, but all of that stuff quickly gets superceded by a morally grey narrative. The shooting grows monotonous, the tactical options are limited, and the morality gets steadily darker. The game hints at climactic moral choices but it sneakily delivers them during normal gameplay, usually without informing the player about alternate options. The game continually presents objectives, but denies the player any real sense of accomplishment (aside from bodyCount++).

There's really no reason to continue at this point - everyone ought to Alt-F4 and do something more fun/pleasant/rewarding. Except ... the player wants to resolve the game's mystery and get their money's worth. They want to see how it ends. But the only way to reach the ending is to participate in the plotline. The combat simply isn't engaging enough to be played for its own sake. You need to care about the story in order to continue - which means that you'll be uncomfortably aware of the fact that you're violating orders, killing US soldiers, destabilizing an already precarious situation, and burning civilians to death.

The reason that Spec Ops' escape-hatch is different is that the player's ability to quit mirrors that of the protagonist. If James Bond decides to quit MI6 in order to focus on baccarat and whores, Hugo Drax will nuke London. If the Dovahkiin decides to stop adventuring, Alduin will devour the world. But Captain Walker could turn away from Dubai without incurring any apocalyptic consequences. His quest is actively hurting him and everyone around him. The only thing that keeps him going is his misguided sense of rectitude; his insistence that the outcome of his personal story will justify the actions that he's taken along the way. Walker's motivation resembles the player's own stubborn insistence on finishing the game -- in spite of the fact that it's repetitive, often confusing, and not fun.

quote:

when the player turns it off at certain emotional points, they should be shown something which acknowledges their choice, otherwise it's terrible design.
It would be interesting to see a game attempt to evoke an emotional response (or give a sense of closure) to players who reach a particular plot-point and then opt to quit the game. Perhaps it could send nagging SMS messages to your phone (or mock you on your Facebook page) and eventually award a Steam achievement if you resist the temptation for a full week. Perhaps the developers could even add a special DLC ending which could be unlocked only by ragequitting the game at a critical moment. Mass Effect 3 players built up a whole mythology around Marauder Shields, after all :)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I hate to derail from this discussion, since it's pretty interesting, but any tips for Dragon Quest VI? There's no page for it on the wiki.

Edit: I'm stupid. I suppose I could have searched the thread, or just looked a couple of pages back. Nevermind!

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 8, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Anything I should know before I dive into Environmental Station Alpha?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

GulMadred posted:

Perhaps it could send nagging SMS messages to your phone (or mock you on your Facebook page)

This is the worst loving idea I've ever heard.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GulMadred posted:

It would be interesting to see a game attempt to evoke an emotional response (or give a sense of closure) to players who reach a particular plot-point and then opt to quit the game.

The problem is that players choosing to quit playing is active disengagement. It's actually really bad from the perspective of the content creator. The last thing you should want players to do is the equivalent of walking out of a theater in the middle of a movie. You mention Mass Effect 3; how many tens of thousands of consumers do you think they lost? Games are a type of illusion, and if you break it to get preachy or whatever, people won't be in a hurry to come back to you.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Nate RFB posted:

Anything I should know before I dive into Environmental Station Alpha?

It's not as bad as Axiom verge about this. But there's a few hidden passages you find by just hugging walls. They are usually pretty obvious.

Also there's an insane amount of crazy ARG stuff in the post game that you'll prob wanna use a guide for.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I'm playing Fire Emblem on GBA, like 9 chapters in, 3 characters have already died, I guess I won't get them back? Am I supposed to start over? Or can you restart missions where people died? I have no clue how to play this. Is there a right way to do it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

African AIDS cum posted:

I'm playing Fire Emblem on GBA, like 9 chapters in, 3 characters have already died, I guess I won't get them back? Am I supposed to start over? Or can you restart missions where people died? I have no clue how to play this. Is there a right way to do it?

just keep playing you're fine. don't be like me and shut the system down everytime you gently caress up. be a perfectionist on the next run.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

African AIDS cum posted:

Subtitle-less one, with Lyn and Eliwood, right?

Death is permanent, but the game will hand you a constant stream of characters so it's designed with that (and having bad luck with levels) in mind. Keep in mind if an enemy has a portrait they're either recruitable or the boss. Usually your lord does the talking to get new units but that's not always the case.

Speaking of levels, they're random in Fire Emblem games. Lyn has a 70% chance to gain HP every level, 40% strength, 60% skill and speed, 55% luck, 20% defense, and 30% resistance. Growths are by character so guys even of the same class like Sain and Kent have different growths. Not really worth worrying about since characters in FE7 have generally good growths all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

Fire Emblem is designed with the expectation there will be casualties. If you play the game trying to keep everyone alive you will actively be making the game more difficult for yourself.