Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are some posters here who are going to love those limbs.

already backed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are some posters here who are going to love those limbs.
Actually that's false, they are unlovable by anyone.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Those limbs are perfectly adequate.

Stop the limb hate.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Megazver posted:

Those limbs are perfectly adequate.

Stop the limb hate.
Look at these gams.

modern sprites need a sandwich

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

<MN9 delay>
Well... honestly it's probably for the best the game's been delayed. it's pretty obvious it's gotten a bad reception so far, but they have a working engine and mostly alright art assets, and another six months gives time to polish it up, improve the level design, make the graphics not look like a PSP game, and what have you.

I mean I don't have any hope it'll turn out good, but it's a wise decision on their end anyway.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
still, they were denying a delay last week so either A. they were lying or B. not all of the team knew about this

I'm not sure which is worse!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's the standard "don't acknowledge anything until you're ready to talk on your own terms" PR tack that lots of companies take, it's always lame no matter who does it but it's only controversial in this instance because people are so critical of MN9/Inafune right now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That does explain the stupid-rear end timing of the Red Ash kickstarter. Asking for more money while the game's about to come out is off-putting, but not as much as asking for money after you just announced another delay.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Asimo posted:

Well... honestly it's probably for the best the game's been delayed. it's pretty obvious it's gotten a bad reception so far, but they have a working engine and mostly alright art assets, and another six months gives time to polish it up, improve the level design, make the graphics not look like a PSP game, and what have you.

I mean I don't have any hope it'll turn out good, but it's a wise decision on their end anyway.

None of this stuff is going to happen. They've said it's only being held up for bug fixing and QA and the length of the delay makes me suspect money problems might factor into it too, I'd be really surprised if the final product looks notably different to anything we've seen so far whenever it does creek out

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

still, they were denying a delay last week so either A. they were lying or B. not all of the team knew about this

The only one who denied a delay was some volunteer forum moderator. Comcept themselves just avoided the topic altogether until now.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Lurdiak posted:

That does explain the stupid-rear end timing of the Red Ash kickstarter. Asking for more money while the game's about to come out is off-putting, but not as much as asking for money after you just announced another delay.

Nothing can explain how poorly handled the Red Ash Kickstarter was.

Well, except staggering stupidity/arrogance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

None of this stuff is going to happen. They've said it's only being held up for bug fixing and QA and the length of the delay makes me suspect money problems might factor into it too, I'd be really surprised if the final product looks notably different to anything we've seen so far whenever it does creek out

Yeah, there is almost no chance the delay will have any significant impact on how the game looks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

RentACop posted:

It's a shame cause a buddy cop fantasy drama is something I'd totally play. Who knows though

Isn't this basically Divinity: Original Sin, but I guess less drama since you play both characters?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Isn't this basically Divinity: Original Sin, but I guess less drama since you play both characters?

I love original sin, but I kinda wish it stayed with the whole solving random fantasy mysteries with weird characters bit for the whole game. I'd totally fund a game like that but not sure if this one is that since... well there's not a lot to go on atm.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mighty number nein

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Blockhouse posted:

The article that was linked claiming that the game wasn't delayed was based entirely on forum posts by admins and fans. There weren't really any credible sources on whether the game was delayed or not until now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm hoping that it's because of negative reactions to the gameplay so far and that they're going to overhaul it to make it better. But I kinda doubt it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

epitasis posted:

mighty number nein
:yeah:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MikeJF posted:

I'm hoping that it's because of negative reactions to the gameplay so far and that they're going to overhaul it to make it better. But I kinda doubt it.

in like six months? no way

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Retronator Pixel Art Academy is an adventure game that is also an interactive pixel art course. The creator did the whole pitch as a series of images and I'm not going to post all of them here, but here's the first one as a taster:

You should definitely check it out, it's pretty cool. It's also already funded - $8K/$1K despite only having launched yesterday(?).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Those legs look suspiciously thin to me. I'm not sure I can enjoy this.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Those legs look suspiciously thin to me. I'm not sure I can enjoy this.

Rest easy, goon sir:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
you ever thought about what it would be like if your legs were one pixel wide? you wouldnt even be able to stand. theyd be useless atrophied little sticks of poo poo. its a farce

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DolphinCop posted:

you ever thought about what it would be like if your legs were one pixel wide? you wouldnt even be able to stand. theyd be useless atrophied little sticks of poo poo. its a farce

I've blocked out three to four hours a day to think about this.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
You can joke all you want but when a character is 6 or 7 pixels wide but their limbs are singular pixels, it looks like poo poo.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

You guys should never watch a Don Herzfeldt movie

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Megazver posted:

Rest easy, goon sir:

Oh man, that looks so LucasArts and I love it. :allears:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

This thread is circling the drain if some of you are seriously diving into the legs thing again.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

mutata posted:

This thread is circling the drain if some of you are seriously diving into the legs thing again.

Stick leg apologist spotted.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
like, pixel art I I

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm amazed that the pixel art thing somehow got distilled down to only noodly limbs is the complaint, like that somehow is a real rustler.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
o
/O\
| |
please donate to my kickstarter

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Colon Semicolon posted:

I'm amazed that the pixel art thing somehow got distilled down to only noodly limbs is the complaint, like that somehow is a real rustler.
I love good pixel art and hate lazy and lovely pixel art. Spindle-limbs is generally a useful indicator of the latter.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Hav posted:

Stick leg apologist spotted.

I fixed this for the true aficionados of REAL pixel art.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Colon Semicolon posted:

It's an ugly trend that's symptomatic of many ugly trends. Also, it sticks out when the only perspective that's used is the same one as a game genre that benefits from the character having wide feet.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Can we just ban stick leg discussion in this thread? This is getting unbearable.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

No really, take a look at the sprites from any classic 8-bit sidescrolling platformer and you'll see characters with very wide feet. They help the player orient themselves at the edge of a jump.

Megazver posted:

Can we just ban stick leg discussion in this thread? This is getting unbearable.
You'd have to ban the posting of stick leg kickstarters first.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Megazver posted:

Would you say it's a sticking point?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Would you say it's a sticking point?

I think he's suggesting that it's running away with the thread, but the discussion itself has legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hav posted:

I think he's suggesting that it's running away with the thread, but the discussion itself has legs.

I'm not sure how far you'd get with such a thin argument