Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

skipdogg posted:

I keep looking at this and don't understand why it just isn't in AWS or some other cloud platform instead of running on a bunch of janky ancient kit and soho crap from office depot.

I keep looking at it and waiting for the Star Destroyer to pull it in with a tractor beam just as R2-D2 and C-3PO escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

This is a weird question, and possibly one I could find the answer for elsewhere, but I thought I'd ask here anyway.

I'm studying subnetting for the CCNA (and networking knowledge in general), and it's got me wondering. Was the technique whereby you subnet out a given address range - increasing the subnet mask value to split up the pool of addresses - something that was designed as part of IPv4's original creation, or was it "discovered" later in IPv4's life? The technique obviously makes sense within the protocol, but I guess I'm wondering if the people who thought IPv4 had the foresight to see that this would be necessary back in the 80s when it was being drawn up and people thought several billion IP addresses would be plenty for a really long time. Hoping this makes sense?

CIDR was not used for a long time. Before thaip addresses were divided into different classes based on the first couple of bits. Ie, if the first bit is a 0 it is a class a network.(/8 network)

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
So today I re-upgraded the firmware of my existing firewall and fixed all my issues I had the first time around. At first it didn't work and I ended up phoning Cisco for help and a nice lady had some commands for me to try. I follow her instructions and all the commands she tries to put in were already set by me earlier that morning. Without actually changing anything all my of problems went away and it Just Worked.

Awesome. That's about the first thing I've ever done that had a real implementation in an environment.

I begin to prepare to move my new 5506 into the network, I undid the rats nest of cabling. Put some labels up on cables and since I had to introduce some very simple vlans as part of this (the 5506 has no switching capabilities of it's own, so I had to offload that to a dedicated device) I made sure everything was thoroughly documented.

Suddenly the firewall that I had prepared weeks ago stopped working while it sat on my desk. Every time I'd plug into it directly to try some inband configuration, skipping the network entirely, I'd start getting IP address conflict errors. I ended up spending 90 minutes on trying to figure out what was going on that felt like maybe 10 minutes. Even trying a different computer, wiping the device and replacing the config, clearing arp tables, etc etc I couldn't figure out what was going on so I had to postpone putting in the real new firewall. Much to my boss's pleasure because he can't stop talking about how it's not going to be work because scary confusing vlans.

I really hope it's not related to firepower because I don't actually know how to unfuck firepower at all. I tried to access it just out of curiosity and it started bombarding me with demands for configuration and I ended up just putting in garbage because I didn't know what to do. I haven't tried sw-module module sfr shutdown yet, but I'll have to tomorrow. Factory resetting the asa doesn't seem to affect firepower in anyway either so. I wish it just worked because I'm giving myself some pretty severe anxiety thinking about it; I have absolutely no idea what happened to it.

I only have 18 days left to do my email migration, file server poo poo, DC migration, set up some proper OU structuring for a few hundred people, try to find some excuse to use powershell, set up vcenter, provision VMs, figure out the networking for the new chassis, etc.

:ohdear:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Are they farming it out to an MSP or something or just going without? I've always been interested in seeing how drastic cuts in IT can effect an organization. I'd like to think that they would suffer major consequences but a lot of times they seem to just trudge along for a good long while until something bad happens and poo poo hits the fan.

We actually were an MSP, the company we were farmed out to decided to cut the sysadmin contracts and farm it out to India. With us, they got decent enough work, but never great since we were getting paid so low(I made less than half the average in the area for someone with my job title last year) that people would use it to get in the door, then after 1.5-2 years leave for somewhere that paid what we should be. The couple of people who did stay on longer than that were all people who had started with the company right out of school, worked there 20-30 years before getting cut and being told to come back as contractors with severely reduced pay, since they are all afraid to try working anywhere else.

Now it is all being farmed to India, instead of just the overnight poo poo, since they are literally paying the people in India 27 cents per hour(9k a year for 16 people to cover the night half of operations, ie 12 hours a day, prior to this, and an average time there of 6 months instead of the 2 years each they got out of us)

The CEO came up through the ranks as a bean counter tho, so all that matter is bottom line. I shoulda known how hosed the company is when I found out they sold of the division that made calculators, and the division that did government black research.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Methanar posted:

So today I re-upgraded the firmware of my existing firewall and fixed all my issues I had the first time around. At first it didn't work and I ended up phoning Cisco for help and a nice lady had some commands for me to try. I follow her instructions and all the commands she tries to put in were already set by me earlier that morning. Without actually changing anything all my of problems went away and it Just Worked.

This is a thing I've regularly encountered on ASAs. It goes from not working to working and there is seriously no rhyme or reason whatsoever. The last time it happened SSH just wasn't working at all so we blew the thing away and reuploaded the configuration a few times and boom it just started working on the third try.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lampey posted:

CIDR was not used for a long time. Before thaip addresses were divided into different classes based on the first couple of bits. Ie, if the first bit is a 0 it is a class a network.(/8 network)

In the 1st implementation of IPv4 in 1980 (RFC 760), the first octet was the network ID and the other 24 bits were the host address.

It wasn't until the IPv4 RFC 791 in 1981 that what we recognize as modern IPv4 came about (it was implemented in ARPANET in '83), with implicit net masks based on the first two bits in the first octet. Class A was 00 = /8, Class B was 01 = /16, and Class C 11 = /24. Over the years and decades, more RFCs were added to the definition which added things like Class D (multicast networks) & Class E (reserved), reserved ranges in the network classes, loopback, CIDR, etc...

In looking up the RFCs, I realized I didn't know what IPv1-IPv3 were. It turns out v1-v3 was actually TCPv1 - TCPv3 as IP addressing was integrated into TCP. When v4 rolled around IP was separated out and kept the version number.

Honestly, the entire history of ARPANET is fascinating reading. I highly recommend starting with Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins of the Internet and then reading other early histories like Casting the Net: from ARPANET to Internet and Beyond.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

flosofl posted:

In the 1st implementation of IPv4 in 1980 (RFC 760), the first octet was the network ID and the other 24 bits were the host address.

It wasn't until the IPv4 RFC 791 in 1981 that what we recognize as modern IPv4 came about (it was implemented in ARPANET in '83), with implicit net masks based on the first two bits in the first octet. Class A was 00 = /8, Class B was 01 = /16, and Class C 11 = /24. Over the years and decades, more RFCs were added to the definition which added things like Class D (multicast networks) & Class E (reserved), reserved ranges in the network classes, loopback, CIDR, etc...

In looking up the RFCs, I realized I didn't know what IPv1-IPv3 were. It turns out v1-v3 was actually TCPv1 - TCPv3 as IP addressing was integrated into TCP. When v4 rolled around IP was separated out and kept the version number.

Honestly, the entire history of ARPANET is fascinating reading. I highly recommend starting with Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins of the Internet and then reading other early histories like Casting the Net: from ARPANET to Internet and Beyond.

http://www.rfc-editor.org/ien/ien28.pdf

Really takes me back (to 11 years before I was born).

e: There's an actual ASCII conceptual sketch of the OSI model before it actually existed in that document

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 5, 2015

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

e: There's an actual ASCII conceptual sketch of the OSI model before it actually existed in that document
1) thanks for making me sad that I am 9 years older than you and likely less accomplished
2) you gotta love the duplex scanning with three hole punches.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

psydude posted:

God drat, that is awesome.

And also leads me to believe that my cursory research was incorrect regarding the whole TCP/IP versioning.

Curse you non-authoritative Internet pages that I unquestionably accept! :argh:

quote:

:negative:
I was *nine* when that was published...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

psydude posted:

Stop making people feel like olds! :corsair:

That came out the year before I was born...

Are you sure you are old enough to be posting on this forum?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Using aws cli to filter hostnames and getting back the DNS name, then putting that into an ansible inventory file which you use to run a command on all the servers. I FEEL SO POWERFUL

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

adorai posted:

1) thanks for making me sad that I am 9 years older than you and likely less accomplished
2) you gotta love the duplex scanning with three hole punches.

I was 11 and had already used computers... the TRS-80 at the Radio Shack in the same mall my parents had a store. :kiddo:

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Dick Trauma posted:

I was 11 and had already used computers... the TRS-80 at the Radio Shack in the same mall my parents had a store. :kiddo:

With his.... OOOOLD BAAAALLLS

I was 3 and less than a year removed from watching Star Wars at a drive-in movie theater in my parents orange Ford Pinto.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dark Helmut posted:

With his.... OOOOLD BAAAALLLS

I was 3 and less than a year removed from watching Star Wars at a drive-in movie theater in my parents orange Ford Pinto.

"Put Helmut Jr. in the back, he'll be safer there!"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The first computer I maintained as part of my job was a Univac AN/UYK-20.

Troubleshooting was done by flipping switches to input binary commands and reading the output, also represented in binary with LEDs.

The normal operation was to input a series of commands that initialized a paper punchtape reader.

That reader was used to initialize a magnetic tape drive reader.

Always remember to have a bin handy to catch the punchtape or you'll end up with a long pile of tape.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Grandpa, who showed you this site?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I am trying to stand up a new UCS domain and somehow hosed up the LDAP config and locked myself out of remote access. So I just gave myself a crash course in Cisco CLI to change the auth-domain back to local via a serial connection. I need a drink.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Are they farming it out to an MSP or something or just going without? I've always been interested in seeing how drastic cuts in IT can effect an organization. I'd like to think that they would suffer major consequences but a lot of times they seem to just trudge along for a good long while until something bad happens and poo poo hits the fan.

Place I'm at now went a 6 month period with no other IT staff than a DBA/report writer and it turned out exactly as expected.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Just throwing this one out there what qualities are expected out of a non-senior Linux Administrator?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Just throwing this one out there what qualities are expected out of a non-senior Linux Administrator?

An unflappable smugness about OS superiority and the ability to post in YOSPOS

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

CLAM DOWN posted:

An unflappable smugness about OS superiority
That's juniors and people who've never actually used Linux for anything real.

Tab8715 posted:

Scripting. Do you know how to script? In a language that's not shell? Now's the time to start learning python or something.

Beyond that, it really varies on the industry. Maybe webserver config. Maybe (hopefully) config management. Maybe network troubleshooting. Maybe devops. Maybe some or all of these. It's really hard to say without seeing a requisition, since people tend to just dump anything involving Linux into "Linux admin" territory instead of the rather more descriptive titles Windows admins get sometimes. Expect to be a bit of a generalist, because the documentation will be horrible and everyone will blame you for everything, so you'll need to obsessively read about how they actually are terrible at their jobs and it's their fault (with attached tcpdumps or whatever). But that's every sysadmin job, really.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Q: what's the best way to clean windows?
A: Linux :smug:

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-G7iHL6uoc

adorai fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 6, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I like that in this day and age, OS doesn't matter. I run Ubuntu in VMware Workstation on Windows 10 and use either one depending on what I'm doing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

When I hire for engineering positions, I look for well-rounded engineers who are easy to get along with and appear to be focused on continuous improvement, both personally and within the organization. My ideal candidates try to connect the tasks they're doing into the bigger picture of the business's goals, and they build lasting relationships with key stakeholders in order to do it. As part of their effort to both understand the behavior of the systems they manage, and to automate things and increase their own productivity, they should have some kind of coding/scripting background or a strong desire to learn. I don't put too much emphasis on existing technical skill if the candidate appears to have a willingness to learn; any service or technology old and boring enough for someone to have 10 years of experience in it is probably ripe for outsourcing to :yayclod: anyway.

A Linux position is one of these candidates who happens to have some kind of grounding in the Linux ecosystem.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Dick Trauma posted:

I was 7, and I had the TRS-80 with the cassette tape deck for storage.

AlternateAccount posted:

So I am in kind of a weird spot. The real question is:

How do I get into higher level IT management? My technical ability is fine, but I don't really have any deep specializations. And I am not qualified today to CIO any decent sized company. What comes in between?

I work for a very large company and our middle level IT managers usually manage people; people who are managing the actual projects so they role up to you in a portfolio or they manage an operations team. We also manage the financials; budgets, CapEx vs OpEx, forecast and actuals. We manage strategy for products and technology; what's current, emerging and subsetting. Vendor management also; either suppliers or outsourced contractors. Lots of spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations and lots of meetings with other departments so we can try to track how our technology affects theirs and vice versa.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I like that in this day and age, OS doesn't matter. I run Ubuntu in VMware Workstation on Windows 10 and use either one depending on what I'm doing.

Seconding this.
I put my new desktop together last night and promptly realized I forgot my Windows 8 disc.
"Oh well, I've got a small SSD with ubuntu 12 on it... good enough"

I'm sure that eventually I'll want to change the led color on my Kraken x61. I'll probably install windows then.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm a Linux admin(not jr!) and I tried posting in YOSPOS, couldn't stand it.

evol262 posted:

Scripting. Do you know how to script? In a language that's not shell? Now's the time to start learning python or something.

This is a WIP for me as well, I can do Bash scripts, but am still hammering away at learning Perl. New job should work wonders tho, we are allocated mandatory training time every day, so I can spend time studying without girlfriend distracting me.

I can admin the hell out of some linux tho, my single biggest skill is Google-fu. and this appears to be true across every job I have worked(I was a star admin because I had superior Google-fu)

Edit: good test - Read all these threads, find where people post problems, then try to google up the answer without reading where someone here posted the solution. Once you think you have the answer, read the posted answer here and see how close you were.

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 6, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I think I've started maybe three threads on SA. One was in YOSPOS and I got run out of there on a rail. :blush:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

This is a WIP for me as well, I can do Bash scripts, but am still hammering away at learning Perl. New job should work wonders tho, we are allocated mandatory training time every day, so I can spend time studying without girlfriend distracting me.

Hmph.

I haven't run across an issue yet that I can't solve with Python. With the added benefit of a human being able to parse the scripts. :colbert:

(honestly, it doesn't matter which you use. Whatever you're comfortable with)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I'd strongly advocate for python, because it's performant, easy to read, has bindings for everything under the sun, has good linters, and translates well away from administration if you ever wanna move.

Perl's ok. But be careful about putting it on your resume, because then someone will want to hire you as a perl maintenance programmer.

Shell is bad and should be avoided. It's fine for small stuff, but getting used to doing small stuff in a better language will make you just stop using shell, which is good. It's not fun to worry about weird parts when quoting variables, and writing complex scripts in bash will wind up with you using bizarre ${i#...} bashisms that are impossible for other people to look up now that Google does badly with finding garbage

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm learning perl first just because I spent so much time in a legacy environment it was the only non-shell language I knew would be there, much the same reason I learned vi over any of the other options. The alternatives are there on almost all modern systems, but not so much when you are working on systems that haven't rebooted in 3000 days.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
That's basically the same reason I learned perl (vi is a solid choice everywhere, since it's guaranteed to be on every system). There's not anything wrong with it other than the recruiter mails I get from people who see perl on my resume.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I took Perl and PHP off my CV after getting one too many recruiter ping about them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I learned Perl just because it's the only sane shell-scriptable regex implementation that's basically guaranteed to be on whatever system you get dumped into.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

evol262 posted:

I'd strongly advocate for python, because it's performant, easy to read, has bindings for everything under the sun, has good linters, and translates well away from administration if you ever wanna move.

Perl's ok. But be careful about putting it on your resume, because then someone will want to hire you as a perl maintenance programmer.

Shell is bad and should be avoided. It's fine for small stuff, but getting used to doing small stuff in a better language will make you just stop using shell, which is good. It's not fun to worry about weird parts when quoting variables, and writing complex scripts in bash will wind up with you using bizarre ${i#...} bashisms that are impossible for other people to look up now that Google does badly with finding garbage

Shell should only be used to call sed and awk. :eng101:

evol262 posted:

That's why I leave Python off my resume as well. I usually only use it to hack together automation for tedious and repetitive tasks.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 6, 2015

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I've been thinking about going back to school recently to get an associates in IT. For reference I already have a bachelors in a different field, but I'm sure at this point that I don't want to be in my current line of work for the long haul, so I'm looking to change fields. Is getting an associates a bad call vs. just working towards certifications, or is it reasonable to get an associates in addition to working towards certs?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I went that route and got a job. Depends on who ends up doing hiring, I guess?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

flosofl posted:

That's why I leave Python off my resume as well. I usually only use it to hack together automation for tedious and repetitive tasks.

I'm a Python developer :eng99:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

evol262 posted:

I'm a Python developer :eng99:

If your a developer by all means. But I'm not and don't want anyone to spend time interviewing me for "mad Python skills". The way I slap together scripts, if they were to ask me to solve some trivial programming problem I'd probably ask for three or four of their largest whiteboards and put together something that probably would haunt them to the end of their days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

flosofl posted:

The way I slap together scripts, if they were to ask me to solve some trivial programming problem I'd probably ask for three or four of their largest whiteboards and put together something that probably would haunt them to the end of their days.

That's called job security.