Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Yesterday: Heard a weird popping noise as I was driving to work from the front-right corner of my car. Turns out I'd driven over a nail or something and since I get off at midnight I had to get it fixed in the middle of my workday or else be stuck at work all night. Good thing I had a spare tire in my trunk!

Today: Heard a weird popping noise as I was driving to work from the front-left corner of my car. Now I'm terrified I drove over another nail and because I didn't have time to actually replace the other tire I don't have a spare now. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
The guys at the tire shop will hate you but fix a flat deals with nail holes pretty well.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Rhymenoserous posted:

The guys at the tire shop will hate you but fix a flat deals with nail holes pretty well.

Or a used tire shop that will patch the tire for ~$10 to $15.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kramdar posted:

Or a used tire shop that will patch the tire for ~$10 to $15.

That requires he get the tire or the car to the shop. He's already using his spare.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

People that smash their beer bottles on the parking lot/street piss me off

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tales from the (once again) one-woman IT department-

:allears:: [8:30am] Oh man I'm gonna get so much work done on these two projects today, can't wait to get them off my plate!
*user walks into my office and says "Hey sirotan, I just did that thing you always tell us not to do, and opened an email attachment that came from someone I don't know. Now I think my computer has a virus..."*
*deals with stupid printer poo poo*
*bunch of other dumb tickets come in*
:smith:: [4:45pm] Didn't make any progress on either of my projects, dammit.

To top it off, user who thought she'd received a money transfer from Nigeria had another issue with her laptop (that was reformatted, updated to Win 7/6gb RAM/SSD while I was working on it), has the gall to tell me "I've had to setup my computer all day today and I am not good with IT, I'm so ready to go home!"

Gosh it sounds like you had a hard day. I had to deal with an idiot user's computer all day and made no headway on more important tasks, I am so ready to go home too!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Manslaughter posted:

People that smash their beer bottles on the parking lot/street piss me off

Bro.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
What is this heresy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

What is this heresy.

It only had 2gb before, had a 4gb stick on hand to install. Is that a weird amount? Too little/too much?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sirotan posted:

It only had 2gb before, had a 4gb stick on hand to install. Is that a weird amount? Too little/too much?

It's *slightly* weird since I only see things in multiples of 4 these days. It's probably a good amount actually for the sort of person who falls for Nigerian money scams?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

evol262 posted:

Digitalocean sales rep please go

I don't work for DO (or anyone else in that business), just the first thought that came to me after I've had similar woes.

Probably moving my IRC/Jabber stuff to a VPS in the near future, even though I'm on 100mbit fibre at home.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My ASUS laptop came with 6GB soldered to the board.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My ASUS laptop came with 6GB soldered to the board.

That's because ASUS is loving crazy. I say this as the owner of 5 ASUS laptops. (Not concurrently)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm "in charge" of the IT dept. Sharepoint intranet pages, which means that when someone has an idea about how they should look or what is in them, I'm ordered to make it happen. Basically, it's the Sharepoint version of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law_of_triviality

Due to the aforementioned, the information on the pages is spread around in 6 different places in 6 different formats, without any system. Wanna know some neat stuff about how to order and use an iPhone? You better check out this PDF from our list of guides, this FAQ and this news article.

Because of this inconsistency, we need a new more visible and orderly way to present information, so that more people will use our intranet pages to look for the answers to their questions.

Our information is now spread around 7 different places.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
"Can I have domain admin for a while?"

Bro-storm, I'd be less concerned if you asked to have it from now on, but "for a while" is somehow even less likely to be in your future.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The Fool posted:

That's because ASUS is loving crazy. I say this as the owner of 5 ASUS laptops. (Not concurrently)

Speaking of ASUS being crazy, didnt they have to recall a bunch of laptops because they managed to mess up the windows license for them as they shipped out?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Sirotan posted:

Dell sells laptops with this config just fine; just make sure the 4G is DIMM 1.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Someone needed help getting their encryption cert set up in Outlook on a Surface Pro. I helped them with it and resolved it.

I come in this morning to this:

quote:

OK my friend you fixed it for encrypted emails, but disabled my network adapter - cannot get on wifi at home.
No, I didn't. And if you're so sure I "disabled the network adapter," it seems like you would know how to enable it?

I know this is common, but it's somehow the first time someone's ever outright blamed me for something wrong with their computer when I had nothing to do with it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Lightning Jim posted:

Dell sells laptops with this config just fine; just make sure the 4G is DIMM 1.

Yeah we buy them with 4+ these days, hers was an older model hence it still having Win 7 32bit.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Someone needed help getting their encryption cert set up in Outlook on a Surface Pro. I helped them with it and resolved it.

I come in this morning to this:

No, I didn't. And if you're so sure I "disabled the network adapter," it seems like you would know how to enable it?

I know this is common, but it's somehow the first time someone's ever outright blamed me for something wrong with their computer when I had nothing to do with it.

Don't expect him to believe you when you claim you didn't touch his network adapter my friend

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"Can I have domain admin for a while?"

Just made me curious, has anyone ever done domain admin without write access? So, everything visible, nothing modifiable.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Speaking of ASUS being crazy, didnt they have to recall a bunch of laptops because they managed to mess up the windows license for them as they shipped out?

Someone mentioned that in one of these threads, but I haven't been able to find confirmation of that anywhere else.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Yeah we buy them with 4+ these days, hers was an older model hence it still having Win 7 32bit.

oh, hah, that system

Things pissing off a co-worker of mine - a dense SysAdmin

Every have someone that keeps asking you for help on something that you're already helped them with multiple times? And you everytime explained what you were doing, even on the simpliest of levels, and they never seemed to pick it up? And now they're even asking for you help on things that were old to do the same thing?

Person keeps calling my co-worker for systems that aren't even supported by him (some even without an active support contract) for the same things, over and over. He even sent my co-worker and email with an error he was getting and didn't know how to fix. The command output says ( "To fix..."

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Everything. Everything is pissing me off this morning.

I had a one-day trip to a customer yesterday, involving a 4am wakeup, plane trip, all day on-site with a customer, delayed flights, delayed flights (again), broken parking lot gates, home and in bed to get roused out of bed by a 10pm phone call to India that was (mis)scheduled for last night instead of tonight that lasted until 12:30 am.

So now I'm awake, getting the kids to camp and I am utterly loving exhausted with no end in sight until Saturday. Just an hour of sleep, please. One more hour of sleep...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The greybeard consultant that's worked with the CEO off and on for about 15 years referred to needing a "sysop" for a new system we're planning to implement. :3:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

The greybeard consultant that's worked with the CEO off and on for about 15 years referred to needing a "sysop" for a new system we're planning to implement. :3:

Well hello there new title. :3:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Operators are people too. Why is this weird?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Agrikk posted:

Everything. Everything is pissing me off this morning.

I had a one-day trip to a customer yesterday, involving a 4am wakeup, plane trip, all day on-site with a customer, delayed flights, delayed flights (again), broken parking lot gates, home and in bed to get roused out of bed by a 10pm phone call to India that was (mis)scheduled for last night instead of tonight that lasted until 12:30 am.

So now I'm awake, getting the kids to camp and I am utterly loving exhausted with no end in sight until Saturday. Just an hour of sleep, please. One more hour of sleep...

Sounds like explosive diarrhea to me. It will take a few hours to get over the worst of it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

Sounds like explosive diarrhea to me. It will take a few hours to get over the worst of it.

Anal Glaucoma

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Aunt Beth posted:

Operators are people too. Why is this weird?

No they're not. They're resources, just like everyone else (except senior management). Get back on your treadwheel.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
You Look Like poo poo pissing me off.

The VP of HR has emailed me out of the blue stating that I could not bring a folding bike into the office citing "potential to hit employees which will cause issues", "no space to accommodate", "building wouldn't allow it" and other canned slippery slope responses. Thing is, it fits under mine and everyone else's desks comfortably, there is plenty of unused space in the office, I cleared my particular model with building security, and my manager and coworkers were nothing but supportive of my choices. I believe a managing director shaped roughly like a bowling ball saw it and expressed interest in it. Now I have to get home an hour later or leave my bike at the tender mercies of Midtown street parking because reasons. I let them know about the hardship induced on me and their response is "we'll revisit this when we lease our next office in a few years."

This is a bike to far and I'm considering leaving my company because of it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just keep bringing it in and see them do nothing. A folding bike in an office should be a complete non-issue.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lightning Jim posted:

oh, hah, that system

Things pissing off a co-worker of mine - a dense SysAdmin

Every have someone that keeps asking you for help on something that you're already helped them with multiple times? And you everytime explained what you were doing, even on the simpliest of levels, and they never seemed to pick it up? And now they're even asking for you help on things that were old to do the same thing?

Person keeps calling my co-worker for systems that aren't even supported by him (some even without an active support contract) for the same things, over and over. He even sent my co-worker and email with an error he was getting and didn't know how to fix. The command output says ( "To fix..."

I don't know, I have worked somewhere with the opposite problem... Ask the same question twice and thats grounds for termination. Made for quite the culture of fear and quite a few fuckups

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

The VP of HR has emailed me out of the blue stating that I could not bring a folding bike into the office citing "potential to hit employees which will cause issues"

If you want to shine them on, ask for a risk assessment from your health & safety department to actually determine if there's an issue, because that's a sack of poo poo.

A number of months ago we started getting coat racks so people shouldn't have to hang their poo poo on their seats, I got a talking to for not complying despite explaining why it's a bad idea. To demonstrate I hung up my heavy armoured bike jacket, the rack shortly toppled and fell to pieces. :)

Last few incorrect supplier orders are irking me, he gets me some bitchin' deals on things sometimes but I want everything ready for next week for engineer visits;
- Massive box left at the front entrance looks far too big for what I'm expecting, its the new UPS I ordered except not the rack mountable model I wanted, weighs about as much as a monster truck
- Pack of IEC Male (C13) > Female (C14) cables, came in as regular kettle leads
- Added on the 4 hour critical warranty to our server order when we specifically did not want it

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 6, 2015

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Just keep bringing it in and see them do nothing. A folding bike in an office should be a complete non-issue.

This.

I've had countless situations where I received office-wide advisories not to do /things/ and basically said, "Nope" and kept on doing those /things/.

Petty bullshit can be ignored most of the time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo not pissing me off. Got a official job offer today from the new place, I start the second week of September.
poo poo also not pissing me off; old place wants me to stay until the first week of September, giving me a week vacation inbetween. :smug:

They are also willing to fly me out to San Diego to help train my replacement. Just gotta make sure the ticket is two way.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

I don't know, I have worked somewhere with the opposite problem... Ask the same question twice and thats grounds for termination. Made for quite the culture of fear and quite a few fuckups

That sounds fun. But that's definitely not near the case on this

A) He's jumping the appropriate ticket creation process by calling my co-worker directly (:allears: He just called him again)

B) My co-worker has numerous times attempted to talk him through the process of adding the BMC's address to Java's security to allow it to work. He's gotten it done each time, but the customer calls him every time he needs another server.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

No they're not. They're resources, just like everyone else (except senior management). Get back on your treadwheel.
I will, and thank you! I'm just grateful to have a job! Please assign me other duties as required.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Agrikk posted:

This.

I've had countless situations where I received office-wide advisories not to do /things/ and basically said, "Nope" and kept on doing those /things/.

Petty bullshit can be ignored most of the time.

It wasn't an office wide advisory, it was a direct message from our HR VP to cut it out. We call her "The Reaper" because she never gets involved in most things here unless someone's getting fired or we're encroaching on a terminable offense.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that I did all the groundwork getting approvals from the building management company and working on the reasonable assumption that if I could get it under my desk I could keep it like all the other stupid stuff we have here.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

It wasn't an office wide advisory, it was a direct message from our HR VP to cut it out. We call her "The Reaper" because she never gets involved in most things here unless someone's getting fired or we're encroaching on a terminable offense.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that I did all the groundwork getting approvals from the building management company and working on the reasonable assumption that if I could get it under my desk I could keep it like all the other stupid stuff we have here.

Get the approvals again and e-mail her back. She's just made this policy up right there and then and told you to stop it. If she makes a fuss, e-mail it to her boss and tell her the policy is absolute bs.

If everything is fine with the building code, and everything is fine with other company policies, and she feels it could be used as a weapon, start asking if you should leave other poo poo at home because it could be used as a weapon. I could certainly use my work laptop, or monitor, for example, as a weapon. What about my water bottle, or my mug, or a pen?

This is a stupid policy made up by some stupid higher up because she feels inconvenienced for some stupid reason. Call her out on her bs.