Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

DiggityDoink posted:

Good lord, you have to smog a 73 VW? That is definitely terrible car stuff.

No one ever complain about CA again. We don't have to smog 73s at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Congrats on getting it past the sniffers!

Not sure what year is the cut-off here, but I'm kind of surprised you had to smog the '73 too.

Edit - Looks like 1966 and older don't have to test.

Edit2 - FYI if you get collectible car insurance on it (say... from Hagerty!) you can get a 'collectible' exemption from the smog tests in the future.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 6, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Legit question would that have been better?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

nm posted:

No one ever complain about CA again. We don't have to smog 73s at least.

Yeah, when shopping for classic cars in CA, '74 or earlier. Past that and you get hosed by having to smog it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DiggityDoink posted:

Yeah, when shopping for classic cars in CA, '74 or earlier. Past that and you get hosed by having to smog it.

Bonus is that going pre-74 also helps avoid the lovely huge bumpers and the lovely engines that showed up around then.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Good thing they don't text nox :getin:

Well they did say thank you for helping clean our air.

You basically just seafoamed the atmosphere.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DiggityDoink posted:

To be fair, nothing from the 70s is worth restoring anyway.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

T1g4h posted:

Did you scan the giant QR code? Please tell me you did :allears:

Takes you to the guy's Youtube channel and a list of parts he scrounged from Home Depot

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

veedubfreak posted:

I will fight you

I have awful taste in cars

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Late 70's sure, early 70's have some of my favorite cars. The Z series are a prime example.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

And pickup trucks, I cant think of a not awesome 70s pickup.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fart Pipe posted:

And pickup trucks, I cant think of a not awesome 70s pickup.

Anything after '72 :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Raluek posted:

:colbert::colbert:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Raluek posted:

e:

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 7, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Raluek posted:

:colbert:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Oh, wait...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Why it's best not to rely on your hand brake if you have a steep driveway

540i too

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11493443

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Would drive this unironically.

After some drivetrain upgrades, of course.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

:master: that was incredible

dissss posted:

540i too

Meh, it's just for the poors that can't afford an E30. Cheap as chups as they would say in NZ.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

eew a dodge

Both of those are vastly inferior to the body style that came before. Need I post a picture of your own truck in this thread? You don't deserve that.

AMC peaked in '71. There is no Javelin better than a '71 AMX. The '73 & '74 had that ugly square-tail rear end, which you avoided showing there. The Gremlin also got progressively shittier grilles as the years went by. '72 was a big step down for the 401's output, too; it only got worse from there.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

veedubfreak posted:

How does it feel to be stupid and wrong?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

veedubfreak posted:

The 240z and the dime would like a word with you.
Oh and it is 75 and earlier

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

nm posted:

The 240z and the dime would like a word with you.
Oh and it is 75 and earlier

240z is love, 240z is life

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ozz81 posted:

How does it feel to be stupid and wrong?

I love the shape of that trunk now and forever. My next door neighbor bought one of those new and it looked so goddamn classy.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
68-70 By far my fav years of Cadillac.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 7, 2015

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the 80's were terrible though. Even the cars that are cool for that decade were smogged to poo poo or had all sorts of hideous safety stuff added to it before they knew how to do either of those correctly.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

DiggityDoink posted:

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the 80's were terrible though. Even the cars that are cool for that decade were smogged to poo poo or had all sorts of hideous safety stuff added to it before they knew how to do either of those correctly.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

DiggityDoink posted:

80s American cars maybe

My dad still talks nostalgically about his 1987 Honda Accord Si which was just a fantastic car for the time.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Arguably 1987 the best year for F1.

1000+hp @ 14,000rpm and 4 bars of boost no driver aids and manual snifter so you had to drive that bitch one handed.

Edit: totally didnt realize this was the terrible thread.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 7, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DiggityDoink posted:

crx.jpg

F40.jpg

288.jpg

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

DiggityDoink posted:

80's Camaros are baller as gently caress, performance be damned.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Trans Ams man. It amazes me that in this day and age of customizing your car, there is no car manufacturer that will sell you a factory option screaming chicken painted on the entire hood.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
This is probably terrible car stuff, although I suppose there's a small possibility that this upstanding gentleman actually did install giant vertical exhaust pipes (on his gas-engined pickup) without removing the old exhaust pipes.

But it certainly does appear those imaginary pipes are bolted to a piece of plywood resting on the bed of his truck, with a bunch of random metal pieces on top of it to keep it from sliding all over the bed while the truck is moving.

Maybe it's all genuine and maybe the terrible car stuff is my ignorance; I'll let you be the judge.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Someone post that awesome as hell image of all the 80s wedge cars that some jerk mistakenly tried to pass off as an example of bad 80s cars.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I love the shape of that trunk now and forever. My next door neighbor bought one of those new and it looked so goddamn classy.

That's actually the toned down version. The 71-2 was a lot pointier.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Geirskogul posted:

Legit question would that have been better?

not at all. It does keep better than ethanol though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DiggityDoink posted:

But my '87 Scirroco 16v!?!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DiggityDoink posted:

"High output" V8s making under 200 HP :lol:

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Geoj posted:

"High output" V8s making under 200 HP :lol:

A few years ago I was going through a bag of stuff out of my garage and came across an issue of Motor Trend from 1982. There was an ad in there for the then-new Mustang GT with its fire-breathing 302 V8 pumping out 157HP with "THE BOSS IS BACK!" in big, bold letters.

Sad times, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

No pics, but I witnessed some awful Jeep stuff last week while on a road trip with the family. In NC and VA, which are notorious for poo poo drivers, I noticed a handful of new-ish Jeeps with the fenders hacked off and replaced with these little black plastic pieces covered in bolt heads. Is this A Thing now? Mind you, these were spotless and being driven on the freeway.