Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

It should come as no surprise to anyone by now that those skill check DCs are straight out of the 3.5e PHB. It even shows up in the d20srd, and they didn't change numbers any, so the Jump check is still DC 30 across both editions.
I like the jump DC especially, because a person with 20 dex rolls a 20 and only beats the current world record by a ~3 inches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If you want to be the jump king in 3.5 you're stacking so much poo poo by that point you can hit 50 without really trying.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

goatface posted:

If you want to be the jump king in 3.5 you're stacking so much poo poo by that point you can hit 50 without really trying.

Reminds me of the old jumplomancer build where you could jump so impressively that every person who witnessed the majesty of your jump instantly became a fanatical follower no matter how hostile they were.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

quote:

I am amazed at how badly D&D was run at GenCon compared to Pathfinder. I did the Thursday night epic, and I think I'll stick to Pathfinder from now on.

Issues:

• They were super greedy. Tickets were $14 compared to Paizo's $6, which I was okay with, until they decided to seat 7 people per table to make even more money.

• They tried to run an adventure in 3 hours instead of 5--and then turned off the lights at midnight when no one was done. Yeah, they turned off the lights with 200 people sitting down in the hall.

• The adventure was super boring. Really, it was just an average adventure we could have done at any game night, and since there were seven people trying to cram this in three hours, we basically had to move as fast as possible to finish. The only reason it was enjoyable at all was because we had a great GM who allowed us to take the ballasts and shoot up through the deck and do other amusing things.

• Oh, and the GM hadn't prepared the adventure. They had told him to prepare for low tier, which were different adventures, and then had him run high tier. Really, Wizards? Instead of coming up with four crappy adventures, you should have just come up with one good adventure that could have been run at high or low tier.

• Mustering was a disaster. Instead of letting us find a group at a similar level, they lined us up and just had the next seven people make a table. Me and my friend were level 8 and we ended up playing with 5 level 5s. It wasn't a challenge at all.

• We didn't get anything cool. The Pathfinder Friday special gave everyone a free mini. The Pathfinder Saturday special let you play as kobolds and the Sunday special let you play as the evil Aspis Consortium infiltrating and killing Pathfinders, which was hilarious. The D&D special gave two people at the table a magic item, just like a normal Adventure League game.

Wizards is so far behind Pathfinder in making organized play fun it's embarrassing. And frustrating because I like 5e more than Pathfinder, but I would honestly not recommend convention play.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

quote:

Yeah, they turned off the lights with 200 people sitting down in the hall.

Hahaha, seriously?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

AlphaDog posted:

Hahaha, seriously?

Yeah. They are blaming the convention center.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

"Turn all the lights off" is the exact opposite of the way closing/cleanup started at all the venues I've ever worked at. Maybe things are different there, I dunno.

Did people at least get to finish their games?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 6, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sure they did, almost everyone has darkvision in 5e.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sure they did, almost everyone has darkvision in 5e.

:vince:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I know I'm late to the party, but I only just recently read (borrowed) 5E books. I was following a pretty good let's read of the Monster Manual over on RPGnet, and while he tries to be upbeat about it, he posted excerpts from a full-on review he's writing that kind of sums up how poo poo this crap is:

quote:

Organisation
The table of contents lists the monsters in the order they appear in the book. It doesn't list any monster types, though. As a result, the ungodly long 'D' section is reduced to 'Demons', 'Devils', 'Dragons', and 'Dinosaurs', which doesn't reflect the never-ending flood of stats block is section is (it takes up a good fifth of the book). There is an index of stats blocks at the end of the book, but it only lists the monsters by the name of their stats block. There is no entry for 'Devil, Chain', only one for 'Chain Devil'. This makes getting an overview over what specific monsters are difficult.

The (alphabetical) order in which the monsters are sorted is inconsistent. The dark elf is listed under 'Elf, Drow', but the duergar isn't listed under 'Dwarf, Duergar', it's listed under 'Duergar'. The shadow dragon is listed as 'Dragon, Shadow' under 'D', yet the faerie dragon and pseudodragon are listed under 'F' and 'P'. This could have been solved with a more complete index of stats block with double entries (e.g. 'Dragon, Faerie' and 'Faerie Dragon'). This way, all monsters would be easy to find no matter how the reader looks them up. It would take more space, but in a book with nearly 360 pages, adding another two pages for easy of reference shouldn't be an issue. The appendix with the mundane creatures is equally badly organised, with the draft horse and war horse listed under 'D' and 'W', making an easy comparison between different monsters of the same type more difficult than necessary.

Notably absent are listings of monsters but type or challenge rating. A list of monsters by type is occasionally useful (e.g. when a druid character wants to know what animal he can turn into or what he can summon), but no essential with creature types not being all that important. The lack of an index by challenge rating is just baffling, though. Wizards of the Coast did publish a list of monster by CR in PDF form later, but that's not an excuse. No DM should have to carry a loose sheet of paper around in a book thick enough to have space for an essential index that's maybe two pages long.

quote:

The Fluff
The monster fluff is taken from all previous D&D editions, with some fluff being altered to changed completely. Notable is that many, many monster have been created by demons, even more so than in previous editions. However, the book also reverts good fluff changes from previous editions. Angels are all good-aligned again, and apparently only serve good-aligned gods. Evil gods employ fiends instead. Nobody knows who is on the payroll of neutral gods. The alignment for some monsters is inconsistent too. Brass dragons torture people by burying them neck-deep in hand, and yet they are good-aligned. Water genies are slavers, and yet they are neutral. With alignment having largely been neutered as a mechanic, this isn't too much of an issue. Overall, the fluff isn't too bad, and hopefully gets expanded in future supplements (e.g. a Manual of Planes).

quote:

In addition to that, there is the much-discussed Bag Of Hit Points issue. There is nothing wrong with simple monsters, but did they really have to take away stuff like the owlbear's signature owlbear hug? I can always strip monsters off their special abilities, but adding special abilities is way harder.

I also don't like spell-like abilities because they force me to look up some (sometimes dozens) of spells. There's no advice how to use those spells. The drow priestess of Lolth has 27 spells. How does she use them? What does she like to open a fight? Does she buff? I can figure that out, but with so many spells it will take a while, and advice like that is exactly the stuff I want from a commercial monster book.

:allears:

They saved D&D!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plague of Hats posted:

They saved D&D!
They took the game back to its (3.x) roots: a game for reading, not for playing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Trip report on D&D weekend:

The campaign was broken into 2 groups running simultaneously with separate DMs in separate rooms with text contact between the DMs. While an interesting concept, having intertwined campaigns while expecting the groups to progress at similar real-time paces proceeded predictably poorly.

Our group was a smattering of pre-gen and self-gen 3rd level characters, none of which was quite up to speed or designed in the same format. I don't think any of the players had touched 5E before and I'm almost certain that one had never played an RPG of any type. Some were endlessly quoting 3E rules only to be told they didn't exist anymore.

There was little to no RP and the entire campaign was a series of combats with no real breaks, therefore no rests.

In total, I think we muddled through the first portion of 5 combats in about... 6 hours? I didn't really pay any attention to time, and that was probably for the best.

We had:
Barb - Who did about 70% of the party damage and was virtually unkillable. Player was functionally illiterate and would routinely roll a d12 to hit and be unable to determine the difference between his attack bonus and damage dice on his character sheet. Complained that all he did was hit things with an axe.
Thief - Who did about 25% of the party damage and was 1 swing away from death.
Fighter - Who, despite spending hours in the weeks leading up telling us what a badass his Eldritch Knight was going to be, effectively did nothing the entire game.
Cleric - Who we thought was a Paladin since he only ever cast offensive spells and never healed. Also, a non-factor.
Wizard - Me. I spammed cantrips that never hit for minimal damage. None of my non-combat spells ever really mattered.

Combat was a clusterfuck. The monsters were all giant sacks of HP and armor that we just chewed on forever, and all damage was effectively permanent, since we didn't have a healer. The Barb and Thief appeared to have perma-Advantage and just beat on things forever while either taking half-damage with a massive HP pool (Barb) or just not being focused by the DM whatsoever (Thief). As a Wizard, I was pretty much told I never had advantage and that it was "just my bad rolls". I didn't have the heart to explain the statistics to him, but when you have a sub 50% chance to hit (either +5 Ranged Spell Attack vs 18AC or 13DC saves vs. +3 roll) and your spells only do 1d6 or 1d8, then your expected sustained damage is around 2HP/round, so those 30 HP meat slabs (we had 3 of those at a time as the minor enemies accompanying a leader) would take me 15 rounds each to kill unassisted. The final encounter of the first campaign was a Helmed Horror(?), a construct that gained advantage on all magic DCs and had 20+ AC and was immune to CC. I decided to see how much beer I could consume while waiting for the others to do whatever it was they did.

That said, the Barb was constantly rolling Advantage on a +6 (I think) roll for 1d12+5 damage and the Rogue was popping sneaks/assassinations all day for advantage and 4d6+x damage so...

Rolling a Wizard in a no-rest campaign felt completely useless as I could have just unloaded my 7 spell slots in 1 combat for half a trash mob's health and then had nothing but cantrips for the rest of the day.

I gave the DM some feedback, but I don't think I'd be inclined to try something he ran again until I was confident that we had a group with a bare minimum understanding of RPGs and that the DM understood that there was a whole world of gaming somewhere between CONSECUTIVE SERIES OF COMBATS and I GET DRUNK AND SHOOT MY MAGIC MISSILE AT THE SERVING WENCH.\\

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Jeremy Crawford was interviewed at Gencon

Highlights:

quote:

The past year has been great for D&D. They decided that for Gen Con this year, the focus would be on playing with a huge play area and 200 DMs. They also decided to replace panels with free Q&A sessions in the midst of the play area where designers would be available for set periods to answer questions. Also Gen Con is more about playing games, while PAX is more about panels with up to 600 people at D&D panels.

They have their eye out for promising possibilities for digital tools. "Nothing to announce at this point" again, but other partnerships are possible.

They're working on things for 2017, 2018. There's a lot more coming.

The constantly issue questionnaires, use Twitter, Facebook, forums to track what's going on and react/adjust where needed, or shuffle things around.

Other settings - "Nothing to announce right now." Other settings are all over the core books, with the multiverse emphasized as the official setting. Forgotten Realms is the most popular setting, but other settings are part of the multiverse.

Unearthed Arcana is a playtest vehicle. Sword Coast Adventures features the swashbuckler originally in UA. Things that get positive response can appear in future products, while those that go over like a "lead balloon" can be dropped.

They envisage a constellation of D&D video games. Crawford is very enthusiastic about Sword Coast Legends' DM mode.

There are no plans to integrate Magic: the Gathering worlds with D&D worlds.

The best place for news and updates is https://www.enworld.org. No, really, he said Dragon+ and the D&D website and Twitter.

On third party stuff, the familiarity with rules phase has occurred and they're waiting for the company to be ready to take the next step. "Nothing to announce at this point" though Crawford thinks there is a lot of value in having something like the OGL, both he and Mike Mearls worked on OGL products before coming to WotC. "Fingers crossed -we'll see what happens!"

He is putting the finishing touches on Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and the book after that is the one he's really excited about.

Outsourcing? It's definitely a partnership, like working with freelancers as a studio rather than as individuals. WotC crafts the stories, which also tie into video games, boardgames, etc., so the through-line has to be stable. As the studio works, they work with them weekly, reviewing their writing and doing their own writing. WotC then sends it out to playtesting and takes care of the development of the material. It's just like working with freelancers, but as a group.

The mantra is quality over quantity. A different tempo. That has been successful so far.

They will next be at Pax Prime with the Acq. Inc game and a number of panels. A good chance of Pax East, and occasionally smaller shows. Crawford wanders into game stores in Seattle incognito to watch Encounters.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how much they pay to do the PAX live-game and panels things.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

wow so people paid $150 for that gencon debacle and got poo poo on just like the $40 players

http://dyverscampaign.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/was-dungeons-dragons-adventure-league.html

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

alg posted:

wow so people paid $150 for that gencon debacle and got poo poo on just like the $40 players

http://dyverscampaign.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/was-dungeons-dragons-adventure-league.html

Yes. The eventual resolution after a complete shitstorm on the gencon forum is this: http://baldmangames.com/2015/08/gen-con-2015-all-access-update/

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
So weird to hear that the Season 2 epic was poorly done. It seemed like they did a very good job with it at Origins. Wonder if it was the addition of so many more tables?

edit: the VIP poo poo, sure I guess. But really, who pays $150 plus whatever else they have to play for 5 sessions of D&D?

\/\/\/ for real. My money was on facility staff or some automated timer.

edit:\/\/\/ fair enough, I didn't read what was promised for this year to determine whether $150 was 'worth it'.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 6, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

^^^^ Doesn't seem like an awful deal if it can net you $100 of new books, including one that isn't available for retail yet.

alg posted:

Why do so many people assume the convention staff would just shut off the lights on a room filled with 200 people? I mean, it's loving bizarre for the event runner to do it, too, but it seems that every time it comes up someone pins it on con staff. Did a GenCon representative say "oops sorry" for it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Plague of Hats posted:

Why do so many people assume the convention staff would just shut off the lights on a room filled with 200 people? I mean, it's loving bizarre for the event runner to do it, too, but it seems that every time it comes up someone pins it on con staff. Did a GenCon representative say "oops sorry" for it?

Speaking from a Convention Management perspective: Shutting off the lights in a large hall is almost assuredly 100% out of the control of both BMG and Gencon staff. It would have had to have been ICC staff and to do it on purpose would be begging for a firing just on liability issues. Somebody just hosed up and hit the switch while going through their end-of-day.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

alg posted:

quote:

Our goal was to provide a premium gaming experience and while I firmly believe we hit that on some marks, we obviously missed on others. We tried some new things that went over well for some and were viewed as worthless by others. Some valued their great DM’s highly and did not care about additional items while others rated them lower and wanted more ‘stuff’. Others ranked a separated play space with a barrier as the things they valued most and for many the noise of the hall was just too much for any amount of additional perks to overcome. At no point did we intend to deceive, trick, or pull a switch-a-roo. Every year the program has provided different things and the attendees have each valued them in their own fashion. Things change each year on what we can and cannot provide. Many want to know why we could not do this or that, or why something changed. At the end of the day those details do not matter. BMG thought we had a pretty good line-up this year within the framework we had to work in but once again we obviously need to relook at the program from the ground up.

David Christ
Baldman Games
no, guys, really, it wasn't that bad

I also like the part where he says that they were giving better and better rewards every year and that that wasn't sustainable, conveniently skipping over the explanation of why the answer to that problem is to give them nothing at all.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Nihilarian posted:

no, guys, really, it wasn't that bad

I also like the part where he says that they were giving better and better rewards every year and that that wasn't sustainable, conveniently skipping over the explanation of why the answer to that problem is to give them nothing at all.

On top of that, for paying $110 extra you got (apparently) nothing out of it. Now they make it up to you by giving you $85 retail worth of swag, none of which is in any way con-exclusive. It's better than nothing but anybody who thinks this is a grand gesture is really unfamiliar with how this sort of thing works. In terms of convention swag this is beads and mirrors.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah my opinion of WOTC and 5E keep going lower and lower in ways I didn't think were possible...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The phrase "Piss up in a brewery" comes to mind.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nihilarian posted:

were viewed as worthless by others. Some valued their great DM’s highly and did not care about additional items while others rated them lower and wanted more ‘stuff’.
I can hear the petulant whine from here. Those ungrateful swine! How dare they expect returns on their hundred+ dollars! We gave them GMs.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

You're kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Everyone knows that the quality of con GMs (who are typically volunteers) tends to vary wildly. It also doesn't sound like BMG made any kind of promises (correct me if I'm wrong here, please) as to swag and those expectations were set by the people that purchased in prior years. Would BMG have been better off specifying exactly what they were doing to make the pass special, and then making sure it came to pass? Yes, absolutely, and I suspect they'll be doing just that in the future. I don't know David on a personal level, but he has always seemed to be a good guy when I've interacted with him at events in the past.

I just can't figure out why someone would have paid the additional fee with the expectation of something that was not offered then get pissy about it. lovely/non-prepared GM, I can totally understand being upset about. I'd expect that my money would be getting me the 'best' GMs in BMG's pool, of which I know there are several good ones I've played with in the past. The quality of the adventures are entirely down to WotC's AL staff, not Baldman. Like I said, I actually enjoyed the Season 2 epic when I played it at Origins, yet there seem to be lots of complains about 'quality'. BMG ran AL at Origins as well, at everything was pretty smooth there, but they didn't have the crazy $150 pass either.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 6, 2015

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Personally I've really enjoyed 5e and vastly prefer it to both 3.5 and Pathfinder, though from what I can hear it's good that I've steered clear of organized play and stuck to playing with my friends. From a DM perspective I like being able to just hand out advantage and disadvantage when appropriate, and I've found that outside of a charop-heavy environment most of the character options (with the exception of the beast master ranger) have felt able to contribute well to combat. But then I tended to ignore particularly complex portions of the rules in older editions as well. I'm probably somewhat more on the casual side than the thread consensus, so that's probably why I have the bad and wrong opinion I do.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I find myself wondering now how long until the guys in the MtG part of the company make their own RPG as a side project.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

shoplifter posted:

I just can't figure out why someone would have paid the additional fee with the expectation of something that was not offered then get pissy about it. lovely/non-prepared GM, I can totally understand being upset about. I'd expect that my money would be getting me the 'best' GMs in BMG's pool, of which I know there are several good ones I've played with in the past. The quality of the adventures are entirely down to WotC's AL staff, not Baldman. Like I said, I actually enjoyed the Season 2 epic when I played it at Origins, yet there seem to be lots of complains about 'quality'. BMG ran AL at Origins as well, at everything was pretty smooth there, but they didn't have the crazy $150 pass either.

Why did they keep the price the same but offer a lot lot less over previous years?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
This was my 3rd year doing the VIP d&d event. "All Access."

The first two years were awesome. Year one was a 32-hour marathon. There was a free included d&d party with the top floor of a hotel decorated as streets of baldur's gate. It wasn't nearly as dumb as that sounds. Year 2 was the 40th anniversary of d&d and the release of 5e. PHB and MM were included in the ticket price, along with a d&d blockparty for the release of the Tiamat storyline. Another awesome year. Year 3 will be more of the same, right?

Nope. WOTC didn't really show up (we knew this was happening) but the company running things didn't have their poo poo together at all. And this year, I came with a group of 5. After the con they all did chargebacks and got their money back via their bank/credit card companies. I didn't yet, probably won't now that they are making up for the suck with some freebies.

A ton of other cool games happened this year at gencon, full trip report here so you don't think it was just a 5e shitfest. The d&d event was the one thing that sucked.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

shoplifter posted:

I just can't figure out why someone would have paid the additional fee with the expectation of something that was not offered then get pissy about it.

If you charge $150 for something then the expectation is that you'll be getting something more for your money than the people who payed $40 for the exact same thing. Whether BMG specified exactly what that extra value would be is beside the point, the $150 tickets were apparently pitched as some super premium thing and it turns out that the "premium value" was for a handful of certificates so you basically paid $100 for some pieces of paper. By all accounts it sounds like the folks who paid $150 have every right to be "pissy" about this.

Also blaming peoples' expectations from previous years is asinine. Yes, we charged the same as last year but gave people who paid for premium event tickets much less value for their money this year but really it's their fault for making assumptions, and furthermore

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Oh yeah, the lights-out thing.

It happened at exactly midnight. I suspect some program error, the timing was perfect and I doubt convention center staff (who work there year-round) would gently caress that up.

But the conspiracy theory is that the D&D organizers did it on purpose, not realizing you can't just turn those types of bulbs back on. The epic they were running centered around preventing the destruction of Mulmaster (a city in the Realms). The module was fantastic - you had to hijack some giant vultures to catch up to a flotilla of airships with siren-charm-powered sailors and air cultists led by a kenku. They were going to take out that city. One of the groups apparently hosed up and took the explosive mcguffin into the city, so it was basically nuked at the end and destroyed. Lights out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Roadie posted:

I find myself wondering now how long until the guys in the MtG part of the company make their own RPG as a side project.

You don't want this. That side of the house is notoriously incompetent at literally everything that is not making Wizard Poker Cards. See also: Magic Online, Magic Event Coverage, GLEEMAX

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Toshimo posted:

You don't want this. That side of the house is notoriously incompetent at literally everything that is not making Wizard Poker Cards. See also: Magic Online, Magic Event Coverage, GLEEMAX
I want to see MTG: D20. Mostly because brand name alone will push it to higher profits than the iconic tabletop RPG and I would find that hilarious.

Bonus points if it's an even worse game than D&D 5e.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Quorum posted:

Personally I've really enjoyed 5e and vastly prefer it to both 3.5 and Pathfinder, though from what I can hear it's good that I've steered clear of organized play and stuck to playing with my friends. From a DM perspective I like being able to just hand out advantage and disadvantage when appropriate, and I've found that outside of a charop-heavy environment most of the character options (with the exception of the beast master ranger) have felt able to contribute well to combat. But then I tended to ignore particularly complex portions of the rules in older editions as well. I'm probably somewhat more on the casual side than the thread consensus, so that's probably why I have the bad and wrong opinion I do.

This isn't surprising at all. 2E and 3E function just fine if you selectively ignore vast portions of the rules like you and so many others have done. But if you're going to ignore all the complicated portions of the rules, why not just play MicroliteD20 with advantage-disadvantaged tacked on to save $20-$150 on rulebooks. So it sounds like you're good with RPGs but bad with money.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Kai Tave posted:

If you charge $150 for something then the expectation is that you'll be getting something more for your money than the people who payed $40 for the exact same thing. Whether BMG specified exactly what that extra value would be is beside the point, the $150 tickets were apparently pitched as some super premium thing and it turns out that the "premium value" was for a handful of certificates so you basically paid $100 for some pieces of paper. By all accounts it sounds like the folks who paid $150 have every right to be "pissy" about this.

That I can agree with 100%. If what they got was exactly the same as what a $40 (I'm assuming that's basically event tickets only?) person got, they should be pissed. I just don't think that 'where's my physical stuff' is the appropriate avenue to be pissed about when no stuff was offered up front, regardless of what people got last year. I'm not sure what certs were handed out, but people have and will continue to pay sums of money for charity, etc., to get unique certs.

My expectations if I were paying for a 'premium' experience with no physical goods offered:

1) Private gaming space
2) well regarded GM(s) that are dedicated to my table or selected module
3) food & refreshments available / private lounge
4) facetime with a personality or some other unique experience that you can't get otherwise

ritorix posted:

The epic they were running centered around preventing the destruction of Mulmaster (a city in the Realms). The module was fantastic - you had to hijack some giant vultures to catch up to a flotilla of airships with siren-charm-powered sailors and air cultists led by a kenku. They were going to take out that city. One of the groups apparently hosed up and took the explosive mcguffin into the city, so it was basically nuked at the end and destroyed.

Yeah, the season 2 epic is actually four separate modules that each centered on a single element, and the ongoing results of one track have an effect on a different track at various points. I'm going to guess that some of the bad experiences around it were the result of a GM having to switch which track they were running at the last minute, having prepared for a different one.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 7, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

shoplifter posted:

That I can agree with 100%. If what they got was exactly the same as what a $40 (I'm assuming that's basically event tickets only?) person got, they should be pissed. I just don't think that 'where's my physical stuff' is the appropriate avenue to be pissed about when no stuff was offered up front, regardless of what people got last year. I'm not sure what certs were handed out, but people have and will continue to pay sums of money for charity, etc., to get unique certs.

My expectations if I were paying for a 'premium' experience with no physical goods offered:

1) Private gaming space
2) well regarded GM(s) that are dedicated to my table or selected module
3) food & refreshments available / private lounge
4) facetime with a personality or some other unique experience that you can't get otherwise

Well by all accounts people who paid $150 for premium event tickets didn't get any of that poo poo either. Nor was any of that stuff really offered so, I mean, would you feel pissed if you dropped $110 extra dollars for precisely nothing even if none of that stuff was offered up front? Your argument is kind of disingenuous, "where's all the stuff I paid $150 for?" is a perfectly reasonable response when the previous two years offered premium ticket buyers a bunch of stuff, including physical swag. The onus was on BMG to make it clear what they were offering fro $150 (nothing), not on customers to anticipate that in advance.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

For what it's worth, it looks like David posted this in May:

quote:

Some people are happy with the swag level and some are not. No amount of swag or changing of the price point will really change the fact that no matter where we draw the line there will be people standing on either side of it.

I've done my best to list exactly what we are promising as part of the All Access Program this year in the event description (that should be out in the next few weeks I'm guessing). With Wotc's decreased release schedule we've had to get creative in some of the things we are trying to do with the program so we'll see how it works out. Disappointment in swag is something that will happen. There is no way around it. You cannot just keep increasing it and besting yourself year after year. Eventually it has to level off and correct itself. If you look at the description this year and say "That is just not worth it" then please do not buy a ticket. I am not saying that to be mean. Only you can assign what your value for something is and if you do not feel it lines up then for you it is not worth it. If you do buy a ticket though and then come up to me on Sunday to complain you did not get enough stuff then I am not going to be very sympathetic.

The 28-hour exclusive adventure was great but I do not have the resources to pull that off every year (and the biggest complaint from that year was that 28 hours was to much for Gen Con. Hence why we shortened it.)

The big draws for the event should be:

A dedicated and talented judge
Ability to play all the cool new stuff (without playing super lotto registration bingo)
Guaranteed seats at the special events (which there are two of this year)
Special cool unique to All-Access D&D Adv League stuff
Anything above that is extra icing on the cake.

It also sounds like WotC donated the books in the past, so I do wonder if he posted this after being told by WotC that no even support was coming.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
See, an MtG RPG would work fine, because everyone is a wizard.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Vanguard Warden posted:

See, an MtG RPG would work fine, because everyone is a wizard.

No, everyone is a planeswalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
MtG nerds have been pining for years for someone to create an RPG based around the old Arena series of novels where spells were something you could physically trade and acquire. WotC Brand can never allow it, especially now in a post-Planeswalker world, but demand has never waned.