Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
If you don't need to take perks in a particular order there are probably going to be a lot of ones you can skip based on playstyle. As an example:

Energy Weapons 1: +25% to damage
Energy Weapons 2: +50% ammo capacity
Energy Weapons 3: +20% DR against energy weapons
Energy Weapons 4: +25% crit chance

So if you don't use lasers much you can skip all but level 3 and not notice a difference. Hopefully crafting requirements will be 'at least ___' instead of 'exactly ___' so you could still craft most of the stuff with just one perk if it was a later level one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

2house2fly posted:

having an epic fuckawesome cinematic story with Mass Effect dialogue AND an infinite sandbox feels like they're trying to have their cake and eat it.

feels like some win, i think you mean

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nevets posted:

If you don't need to take perks in a particular order there are probably going to be a lot of ones you can skip based on playstyle. As an example:

Energy Weapons 1: +25% to damage
Energy Weapons 2: +50% ammo capacity
Energy Weapons 3: +20% DR against energy weapons
Energy Weapons 4: +25% crit chance

So if you don't use lasers much you can skip all but level 3 and not notice a difference. Hopefully crafting requirements will be 'at least ___' instead of 'exactly ___' so you could still craft most of the stuff with just one perk if it was a later level one.

Ummm, maybe. Skyrim's similar system definite had hierarchical structure, and you couldn't pick and choose freely.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I'm just going to skip most of their tedious and childish writing then blow everyone's heads off anyway.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I'm just going to skip most of their tedious and childish writing then blow everyone's heads off anyway.

good luck

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Why would you think no level cap is a good idea? It either means horrid level-scaling or a lack of any challenge at the end game because you'll just curb-stomp everything. gently caress, at least Deathclaws and the Brotherhood were still scary when you hit 30 in NV.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The ding is king.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

a lack of any challenge at the end game because you'll just curb-stomp everything.

This is basically every bethesda Fallout and TES game.

SunAndSpring posted:

gently caress, at least Deathclaws and the Brotherhood were still scary when you hit 30 in NV.

BoS are never scary because PA is a joke instead of being meanigful, and Deathclaws at level 30 are easily ohk'd by a variety of methods.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

gently caress, at least Deathclaws and the Brotherhood were still scary when you hit 30 in NV.

you're joking right?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Going to the unmarked Deathclaw nest in the southeast corner of the map and blanketing the place with the Grenade Machinegun was good times.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Why would you think no level cap is a good idea? It either means horrid level-scaling or a lack of any challenge at the end game because you'll just curb-stomp everything. gently caress, at least Deathclaws and the Brotherhood were still scary when you hit 30 in NV.

What are you even doing at that stage, I can't remember if I've ever hit the level cap but I normally feel like there's nothing else to do around then.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The only thing that stays scary at high level is cazadores, and that's because they move really fast and it wigs me out.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So, if the end-game was too easy last time, why the gently caress would they continue to make it too easy? You know it's just gonna end up boring because there's no loving challenge to any of it or because the enemies will just scale upwards and have a billion HP.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There is no "endgame" because the game lasts forever.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

2house2fly posted:

The only thing that stays scary at high level is cazadores, and that's because they move really fast and it wigs me out.

Deathclaws can still drat near one shot you at high level. If you're just sneaking around with an anti-material rifle they're pushovers at almost any level, but melee they can stay exciting

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

2house2fly posted:

VATS em in the wing and then they limp around sadly.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

2house2fly posted:

There is no "endgame" because the game lasts forever.

400+ HOURS OF CONTENT

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

So, if the end-game was too easy last time, why the gently caress would they continue to make it too easy? You know it's just gonna end up boring because there's no loving challenge to any of it or because the enemies will just scale upwards and have a billion HP.

The reward for reaching endgame is becoming a God Among Insects, meting out Life or Death at your shifting whim.

If I want to feel like I am consistently slamming my cock in a door from level 1 all the way to level 300 at a steady pace, I have a few doors in my house already thank you.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SunAndSpring posted:

It is impossible to make 3/NV challenging after the very beginning because the engine is poo poo and getting more than like 5 people on screen at once is insane. So their idea of 'challenge' is generally bullet sponge enemies, and that isn't hard. It's just tedious. Now at least there have been signs the engine supports more people on screen and them demoing a 5 way battle. That could absolutely be a set piece and not organic, but it wasn't even *possible* to set piece poo poo like that in the old engine. That new complexity means more for the *possibility* of challenging combat than any amount of arbitrary stat/Perk restrictions.

Combat will still probably be piss easy though.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

They should just nix the max level for skills (or in the new setup, nix the max level of skill based perks). I'd rather incrementally increase the skills my character's supposed to be good at than max out everything.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SunAndSpring posted:

After you hit level 5 or so and have maxed out a weapon skill (always max out a weapon skill first!) in New Vegas combat then comes down to your own personal tactics and to a lesser degree your equipment. You should have zero trouble clearing out the entire Brotherhood Bunker at level 5, if you know what you're doing.

I'm happy there is no level cap in Fallout 4 personally, Skyrim has no level cap and it is a fantastic open world game. If Fallout 4 is just Skyrim with guns then it will be great. Obviously New Vegas 2 would be even better than that, but I won't sneeze at Skyrim with Guns.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are there any games with "challenging combat"? It seems like everyone always complains about how lovely AI is which removes any threat from anything.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Azhais posted:

Are there any games with "challenging combat"? It seems like everyone always complains about how lovely AI is which removes any threat from anything.

Witcher, although "challenging" usually means " hard to use".

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Azhais posted:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Witcher was easy just had poo poo controls. Dark Souls/Bloodborne is one of the few legitimately difficult games out there that isn't cheap or poorly designed.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm with this guy. Except the bit about Deathclaws and BoS being scary. Cazadores were scary and that's about it.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

sector_corrector posted:

Wait, which game are you talking about? For NV or 3 that seems insanely high. There are definitely guides out there that can help you make a specialized build that does it by whatever the level cap is. In 3 every other perk is +X to Skill, which cuts down on how many raw levels you need. There are also around 20 or so skill books for each skill and bobbleheads that bump each one by 10, meaning that you get around 30 free points per character regardless of what you do.

I did the math once a long time ago for NV, and it was something like by level 30 or 50 (I don't remember if I figured this before the DLC or after), you can max all but 2 or 3 skills.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

The answer to everything in life, really.

Though it does get a bit silly when you buy a NATO rifle with a scope.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The funny thing about Deathclaws is if you stand still they'll do their leaping animation. You just simply take one step sideways and they'll land behind you. Wind up with a Hard Punch (not a jab) and if your Unarmed skill is good enough, you'll knock that son'bitch out. (not paralyzing palm)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMR9nkv2RXQ
(holy poo poo 6.5 years ago already)

Yao Guai do a leaping attack that can be sidestepped too. I mean sure I'm using a bullet time mod but anyone can press A or D. It's like a Quick Time Event where your face gets mauled if you fail!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOeZhtCfpLg

Magmarashi posted:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

The only thing I remember about combat in that game is using a shotgun as a sniper rifle. God that TOZ had such a satisfying sound.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

JackBadass posted:

I did the math once a long time ago for NV, and it was something like by level 30 or 50 (I don't remember if I figured this before the DLC or after), you can max all but 2 or 3 skills.

It's the same in both games. They intentionally give you a lot of leeway in how you build your character, especially if you understand how SPECIAL works.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The reason Deathclaws and Brotherhood are strong even late-game is because the already mentioned "horrid level scaling" and how certain weapons become useless those levels.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Being able to play past the main story sounds cool and I'm sure I'll do some of it but the main appeal to NV for me was stumbling around on Hardcore mode with a concussion I had no intention of ever fixing, getting the crap kicked out me and somehow barely surviving. That was fun. So restart, restart, new game + all day erry day.

Magmarashi posted:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Metro 2033/Last Light on Ranger mode.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

seriously a linear bethesda "fallout" game would own

there could be a liberty prime fuckawesome helicopterin'gangnam style setpiece every level

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dongicus posted:

there could be a liberty prime fuckawesome helicopterin'gangnam style setpiece every level

That's Just Cause 3, procedural setpiece generator 2016.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

Then stop bitching when you make the game even less stable

I never complained about the stability. I said it was ugly.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Welp, I think this latest announcement of no level cap has broken most of you, there is no longer a divide between those being ironic and unironic.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Dongicus posted:

New Vegas crack, etc. I'm too busy pooping myself inside out to make a witty comment.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Magmarashi posted:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Call of Pripyat w/ Misery 2.0 is p. much the best "challenging" survival FPS there is, if youre a masochist :getin:

its also really pretty, and horrifying

if you want something a bit easier, but equally awesome, Clear Sky w/ the Faction Wars mod is really fun aswell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Das Butterbrot posted:

Call of Pripyat w/ Misery 2.0 is p. much the best "challenging" survival FPS there is, if youre a masochist :getin:

its also really pretty, and horrifying

if you want something a bit easier, but equally awesome, Clear Sky w/ the Faction Wars mod is really fun aswell.

It also makes the TOZ even better because it's both the first decent gun you can afford, good against everything, and really useful for hunting mutants which are a good first source of income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

SunAndSpring posted:

Thanks, Bethesda! I always hated making new characters and playing the game in a different way. Now that I can master everything in one go, I'll never need to make a new character again.

Let me remind you of FO3's "achievements":
Reach level 10 with good karma
Reach level 20 with good karma
Reach level 30 with good karma

Reach level 10 with neutral karma
Reach level 20 with neutral karma
Reach level 30 with neutral karma

Reach level 10 with bad karma
Reach level 20 with ... Oh gently caress this game, I have had enough of this poo poo...

So you either exploit karma generation mechanisms (if possible in FO4) or you play 3 characters

• Locked thread