Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Other races have at least one flaw, potatoes are flawless. Shed your excess height and come back to the chosen people.

Potatoes don't have knees. Or they do, but barely ever use them. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Other races have at least one flaw, potatoes are flawless. Shed your excess height and come back to the chosen people.

It's really hard to look cool in your fancy new glamoured duds and shiny greatsword when you're like two feet tall, though. :(

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

From what I've seen the WoW xpac is incredibly paint by numbers and is doing nothing particularly bold or interesting, probably because they're scrambling to recover from the shitshow that was WoD. Subscriber numbers have been at a 9 year low.

There's a nonzero possibility that XIV might actually become the WoW killer of prophecy, meaning that it actually carves out a decent sustained subscriber base and is taken seriously as a AAA MMO and not just yet another WoW clone also-ran, but rather something that actually challenges Blizzard and makes them sweat. :psyduck: I've long had an almost irrational belief in the potential of this game, but I did not ever expect to be seriously considering this possibility.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

From what I've seen the WoW xpac is incredibly paint by numbers and is doing nothing particularly bold or interesting, probably because they're scrambling to recover from the shitshow that was WoD. Subscriber numbers have been at a 9 year low.

There's a nonzero possibility that XIV might actually become the WoW killer of prophecy, meaning that it actually carves out a decent sustained subscriber base and is taken seriously as a AAA MMO and not just yet another WoW clone also-ran, but rather something that actually challenges Blizzard and makes them sweat. :psyduck: I've long had an almost irrational belief in the potential of this game, but I did not ever expect to be seriously considering this possibility.

If you look at revenu/subscriber numbers its more of a WoW suicide than anything else.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
potato dragoons seem like they would have silly looking animations. I think I might switch from roe to potato when I level my dragoon to 60. Not sure though.

Boten Anna posted:

blizzard has about 2-3 million reasons not to sweat currently.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

It's really hard to look cool in your fancy new glamoured duds and shiny greatsword when you're like two feet tall, though. :(

It's only a problem with pants because our boots generally cover 3/4th of our legs. A Lala WAR in Dreadwyrm with the Axe looked fantastic.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

If you look at revenu/subscriber numbers its more of a WoW suicide than anything else.

It turns out the true WoW killer... is WoW!!!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I took six of my buddies into unsynced Garuda-Titan-Ifrit EX last night. Two healers, two tanks, three dps, one of the healers was still 50. Ifrit is probably more difficult than being capped at 50, mainly due to how easy it is to push him into enrage unintentionally. Our PLD tank was able to solo DPS him down from 20% to 10% before we finished the nails at one point.

Otherwise a lot of fun, a lot of laughs. We're not a pro group by any means, but it was still pretty goofy seeing things like Titan's heart melt before the gaols could go out.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Boten Anna posted:

Even after these horrible doom and gloom subscriber numbers for WoW, if you give FF14 the most generous estimate for active subs possible, it's still lagging behind WoW by a factor of 5.

Just because goons love 14 now and like to barge into every MMO thread to say how much better it is than WoW doesn't mean it's actually killing WoW.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

WoW could only ever kill itself, everyone always knew that. That the sequel to Final Fantasy XI is becoming the go-to ship-jump, as well as assisting that suicide by highlighting just how lazy, unimaginative, and lumbering WoW development is, is something I never actually expected to happen.

Ryanbomber posted:

Just because goons love 14 now and like to barge into every MMO thread to say how much better it is than WoW doesn't mean it's actually killing WoW.

To be clear, I'm using "WoW killer" a little bit tongue in cheek here, but the term is more of a reference to a shakeup of the status quo with WoW as the unassailable 10 ton gorilla with everyone else fighting for scraps than literally burying WoW and becoming the gorilla. XIV likely doesn't even have 1m subscribers, but it's commanding (or close to) an actual pie slice. That's a big change.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 6, 2015

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What possible flaw could you think mars Roegadame perfection?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

WoW could only ever kill itself, everyone always knew that. That the sequel to Final Fantasy XI is becoming the go-to ship-jump, as well as assisting that suicide by highlighting just how lazy, unimaginative, and lumbering WoW development is, is something I never actually expected to happen.

Having done WoW hard mode and FFXIV savage they are both really good and similar in terms of difficulty. So it's not surprising that if you don't like WoW ffxiv is a good alternative. More stuff to do and the game play is very similar as well as the end game if you like that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ryanbomber posted:

Even after these horrible doom and gloom subscriber numbers for WoW, if you give FF14 the most generous estimate for active subs possible, it's still lagging behind WoW by a factor of 5.

The WoW subforum sucked WOD's dick so much more in the wildstar thread. Literally every page championed WOD when it was released and how it was better than wildstar.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

kafziel posted:

Their hairstyle choices kinda suck imo :(

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!

Tenzarin posted:

The WoW subforum sucked WOD's dick so much more in the wildstar thread. Literally every page championed WOD when it was released and how it was better than wildstar.

Well it was, shame they forgot to make update content for it.

e-seriously WoWs lack of follow up content and their increasing pace of expansion release is making it look like they would be better off being b2p with a cash shop and dlc. It would be quite a day when WoW turns b2p/f2p faster than FFXIV.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 6, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

to be fair botulism is better than wildstar turned out to be

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

kafziel posted:

not as big as male roes

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ciaphas posted:

to be fair botulism is better than wildstar turned out to be

Wasn't saying anything about either game, just in relation to biggest amount of people who barged into threads to raise their game on their shoulders.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

This is false.

Also, for all the talk of being too small to see glamours, potatoes are much better off in terms of looks than the proto-potatoes (otherwise known as tarutaru), since their proportions were roughly analogous to a weeble with a neck.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!
I like that their two hander is about the size of a large one hander for another race.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

kafziel posted:

They all look like someone smashed their faces with a shovel until their noses were almost gone.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ActionZero posted:

They all look like someone smashed their faces with a shovel until their noses were almost gone.

Positive, not a negative. Flat noses. :swoon:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

bonewitch posted:

Crit/Det is probably still best given that they only have one dot. Stuff like SMN and BRD will probably stack skill speed a lot more assuming the scaling on them aren't garbage.

It seems like Summoner doesn't really want spell speed over det/crit based on scaling tests, it's just not almost completely useless for most of their damaging spells now, so you don't cringe quite as much when it appears on gear. As far as I know, it still doesn't help you do more damage per second with abilities like Deathflare and Fester, though, which is a fairly big deal.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Wonder Turbine posted:

Think I found your problem.

I played as a female char for a while but it started to just feel a little weird when I spend so much time on playing dress up (the real endgame).

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

IMO, all the races have their flaws. In general I think it's pretty clear they spent more time on the female's in this game, haha.

Hyur: Midlanders are kind of boring, their animations lack personality. Highlanders are pretty great but the males start having the build of humans in WoW which isn't a good thing.
Elezen: Stiff animations and they have giraffe necks, it's also hard to make a guy that doesn't look like an evil douche or a literal child.
Roe: Females are pretty great, dudes are cool but being so large makes movement seem slow and a lot of gear looks weird as hell on them (lol AF2 DRG)
Lala: Hilarious, but it's hard to take a potato person seriously as the Warrior of Light.
Cattes: Great animations, plenty of personality. Males have a weird posture when you look at it. Ears make a lot of hair styles look odd, nightmares imagining them bald
Au Ra: Ladies are dragon catgirls, but they're well designed. Dudes are giant, and take the anime aesthetic to an extreme.

Might try out a 3 pack and give Lala and AuRa a try...such a waste of my money.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 6, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ouhei posted:

I played as a female char for a while but it started to just feel a little weird when I spend so much time on playing dress up (the real endgame).

IMO, all the races have their flaws. In general I think it's pretty clear they spent more time on the female's in this game, haha.

Hyur: Midlanders are kind of boring, their animations lack personality. Highlanders are pretty great but the males start having the build of humans in WoW which isn't a good thing.
Elezen: Stiff animations and they have giraffe necks, it's also hard to make a guy that doesn't look like an evil douche or a literal child.
Roe: Females are pretty great, dudes are cool but being so large makes movement seem slow and a lot of gear looks weird as hell on them (lol AF2 DRG)
Lala: Hilarious, but it's hard to take a potato person seriously as the Warrior of Light.
Cattes: Great animations, plenty of personality. Ears make a lot of hair styles look odd, nightmares imagining them bald
Au Ra: Ladies are dragon catgirls, but they're well designed. Dudes are giant, and take the anime aesthetic to an extreme.

Might try out a 3 pack and give Lala and AuRa a try...such a waste of my money.

Midlander for life, cats blow, and ff9 sucks.

Can we talk about all the kool people set their standing emote to crossed arms.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ActionZero posted:

Plenty of nose here.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

lol if you play anything but a catgirl or dragonlady

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

:colbert: all day everyday

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Midlander for life, cats blow, and ff9 sucks.

what the gently caress

But yes, crossed arms is the best. From zero to cool every time there's downtime.

EDIT: Also important is that being a potato enhances the ending of the Pugilist story.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Ouhei posted:

IMO, all the races have their flaws.

This is why you cheat, and instead become bears.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Klades posted:

This is false.

Also, for all the talk of being too small to see glamours, potatoes are much better off in terms of looks than the proto-potatoes (otherwise known as tarutaru), since their proportions were roughly analogous to a weeble with a neck.
Daw look at the little dark knight looking so confident for the school photo. It'll get framed next to the little Warrior brandishing his tiny axe and a cutesy Paladin Lala trying to look over her shield.

Agree that they're proportions are alright but...
Lala's are cute, not cool. The only ones I take seriously are the Syndicate ones (and Papashan because hell yeah Papashan) because they're the freaking Mafia and they leverage their cuteness/inability to take seriously to their advantage.

Warriors of Light potatoes are scrub (if hilarious) tier.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

what the gently caress

ff9 is a really fun game to remember and then you play it again and go "gosh i didn't remember these loading times being so long, or the random encounters being so slow"

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.

sword_man.gif posted:

ff9 is a really fun game to remember and then you play it again and go "gosh i didn't remember these loading times being so long, or the random encounters being so slow"

No. No no no no no no no no NO. No. Why?

CHOCOBO HOT AND COLD.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

sword_man.gif posted:

FF9 is the first episode of dragonball z stretched for 40 hours with the worst world map that killed world maps in the entire series.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
From an NPC standpoint, the best characters are Roes and Elezens (Moenbyrda, Harchefaunt, Hoary Boulder, etc) whereas the most evil have been lalafells (the syndicate).

I'm still a bad character that has a name with a cat pun, but still a potato.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

FF9 is the first episode of dragonball z stretched for 40 hours with the worst world map that killed world maps in the entire series.

are you the guy who hated FF9 because zidane reminded you of goku

because that was hilarious

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EponymousMrYar posted:

Daw look at the little dark knight looking so confident for the school photo. It'll get framed next to the little Warrior brandishing his tiny axe and a cutesy Paladin Lala trying to look over her shield.

Agree that they're proportions are alright but...
Lala's are cute, not cool. The only ones I take seriously are the Syndicate ones (and Papashan because hell yeah Papashan) because they're the freaking Mafia and they leverage their cuteness/inability to take seriously to their advantage.

Warriors of Light potatoes are scrub (if hilarious) tier.

You would forget the magnificence that is Potato Fabio?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Skies of Arcadia is the best FF ever made.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Lalafell are extreme garbage and I don't trust anyone who plays one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

dmboogie posted:

are you the guy who hated FF9 because zidane reminded you of goku

because that was hilarious

He is goku from a planet of gokus to destroy the planet as a child and lost his memory when he hit his head.

• Locked thread