Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

AnimalChin posted:

Is there a way to mod a server without requiring users to mess with forge? I want to run a server with a few pretty simple mods (treecapitator or similar, ruins/battletowers or similar) that my friends can easily connect to without having to deal with the mess that is forge and multiple profiles in the stock launcher.

IIRC it is possible to do worldgen mods that don't add any blocks server-side without clients needing Forge, and maybe treecapitator, but I don't have any first-hand experience with that. If you wanna do a lightly modded server though I'd generally just recommend making a Technic pack and have them get that launcher. Installing your pack will literally be like a 3-click process, and updating it to add stuff later will be headache free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Glory of Arioch posted:

bukkit mods, however bukkit mods are lame and bad

or just have them use technic platform with a mod pack you create

Bukkit is unobtainable (dmca takedown) and outdated.

Technic requires users to deal with another system and I'm trying to avoid all that. I'll look into Technic, thank you.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 3, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

AnimalChin posted:

Technic requires users to deal with another system and I'm trying to avoid all that.

then you are poo poo Out Of Luck, forge mods require client-side modifications, full stop

technic platform is the easiest way for you to give modpacks to other people

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Glory of Arioch posted:

then you are poo poo Out Of Luck, forge mods require client-side modifications, full stop

technic platform is the easiest way for you to give modpacks to other people

Forge mods don't always require both client-side and server-side installation.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

AnimalChin posted:

Funny. Google says otherwise.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Why can't I click on the tags in the Technic browse page to take me to a list of packs with the same tags?

Isn't that the point of a tag system?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

AnimalChin posted:

Is there a way to mod a server without requiring users to mess with forge? I want to run a server with a few pretty simple mods (treecapitator or similar, ruins/battletowers or similar) that my friends can easily connect to without having to deal with the mess that is forge and multiple profiles in the stock launcher.
Yeah.

TreeAssist for bukkit/spigot/cauldron has opt-in treecap functionality and you can even set auto replant and control apple drop rates and more. It also lets you fast leaf decay, and you can turn all of the features on/off individually. It's stable as far as I know it never caused any issues on the vanilla servers I've used it on.

PlayerMagnet is another okay bukket mod for opt-in magnet functionality. This one is not coded quite as well, but it works. Not sure how it would hit tps on a large server, but if it's for you and a few friends it shouldn't be noticeable.

But use the technic launcher with a custom pack if you want to use actual mods. No one has to manage profiles. They just need to download technic and run your pack. There is a pipe mod for bukkit that treats cobblestone walls as pipes when connected to machines. That one always seemed kind of cool but I never tested it. I assume it is coded really poorly, but if you're running a vanilla server it probably won't matter.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 3, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Taffer's got the gist:

This is what I have in my old spreadsheet for mods to apparently take out of the server pack:
Damage Indicator
Mouse Tweaks
JourneyMap Client-side -- but do use JourneyMapServer, which you probably have to go fetch.

I think you are clear with that. Note though that I was running the server for this for a little corporate team-building thing months--and quite a few revisions--back.

The client is using Forge 1408, so you want to use the 1408 server jar.

Is Baby's First Space Race for 1.7.10 or an update version? Trying to figure out which Forge to get.

e: Looks like a few of us are trying to get it to work. If anyone gets a server folder together and can upload it to dropbox that would be really helpful.

goodness fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 3, 2015

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I'm having a problem setting up BFSR on a server. I'm getting the following error:

code:
[22:38:01] [Netty Client IO #1/ERROR] [FML/]: Failed to connect to server: there are 5 missing blocks and items
[22:38:01] [Netty Client IO #1/DEBUG] [FML/]: Missing list: [aobd:clumpSteel, aobd:crystalSteel, aobd:shardSteel, aobd:dustDirtySteel, aobd:oreSteel]
[22:38:01] [Netty Client IO #1/TRACE] [FML/]: $HandshakeAck:{2}->FMLHandshakeClientState$8:ERROR
Looks like mekanism to me, but both client and server have the same version installed. The only issue I'm aware of is that the server has a slightly newer version of forge, but I don't see how that could cause this problem. I'm pretty sure I deleted the client-only mods properly. Any suggestions?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Silly question but you didn't remove AOBD did you?

If you generated a world, try deleting it (/saves folder) and starting it again.

bigperm fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 3, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

goodness posted:

Is Baby's First Space Race for 1.7.10 or an update version? Trying to figure out which Forge to get.

e: Looks like a few of us are trying to get it to work. If anyone gets a server folder together and can upload it to dropbox that would be really helpful.

BFSR is using 1.7.10.

Wolfsbane posted:

I'm having a problem setting up BFSR on a server. I'm getting the following error:

code:
[22:38:01] [Netty Client IO #1/ERROR] [FML/]: Failed to connect to server: there are 5 missing blocks and items
[22:38:01] [Netty Client IO #1/DEBUG] [FML/]: Missing list: [aobd:clumpSteel, aobd:crystalSteel, aobd:shardSteel, aobd:dustDirtySteel, aobd:oreSteel]
[22:38:01] [Netty Client IO #1/TRACE] [FML/]: $HandshakeAck:{2}->FMLHandshakeClientState$8:ERROR
Looks like mekanism to me, but both client and server have the same version installed. The only issue I'm aware of is that the server has a slightly newer version of forge, but I don't see how that could cause this problem. I'm pretty sure I deleted the client-only mods properly. Any suggestions?
Yeah that's Another One Bites The Dust. That should be both on the client and server, as far as I know. I don't think I stripped that out of the mod pack. Regardless, I would think it would complain about more dusts than that if it suddenly went missing.

Edit: Consider seeing if there's an updated AOBD2 and using that instead. If that works on the client and server, I'll update the mod pack tonight.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Nope. :)

Modlist:

code:
 ae2stuff-0.3.0.28-mc1.7.10.jar
 AOBD-2.6.2.jar
 appliedenergistics2-rv2-stable-1.jar
 Artifice-1.7.10-1.1.5R-396.jar
 ASIELIB-1.7.10-0.3.9.jar
 ASIETWEAKS-1.7.10-0.0.2.jar
 ATG-1.7.10-0.12.0.jar
 BACKPACK-2.0.1-1.7.X.jar
 bdlib-1.7.2.82-mc1.7.10.jar
 betterrain-1.7.2-1.7.10_0.15-core.jar
 betterrain-1.7.2-1.7.10_0.15.jar
 BiblioCraft[v1.10.4][MC1.7.10].jar
 BigReactors-0.4.3A.jar
 Carpenter's Blocks v3.3.6 - MC 1.7.10.jar
 ChickenChunks-1.7.10-1.3.4.16-universal.jar
 Chisel2-2.3.10.37.jar
 CodeChickenCore-1.7.10-1.0.6.43-universal.jar
 CodeChickenLib-1.7.10-1.1.1.110-universal.jar
 CoFHCore-[1.7.10]3.0.2-262.jar
 CoFHLib-[1.7.10]1.0.1-151.jar
 denseores-1.6.2.jar
 ExtraCells-1.7.10-2.2.69bNIGHTLY.jar
 extrautilities-1.2.4c.jar
 fastcraft-1.21.jar
 FastLeafDecay-1.7.10-1.0.jar
 Flesh2Lether [1.7.10b].jar
 ForgeMultipart-1.7.10-1.1.1.320-universal.jar
 ForgeMultipart-1.7.10-1.1.2.331-universal.jar
 Galacticraft-Planets-1.7-3.0.12.339.jar
 GalacticraftCore-1.7-3.0.12.339.jar
 HQM-The Journey (4.2.4).jar
 INFERNALMOBS-1.7.10.jar
 InventoryTweaks-1.58-147.jar
 IRONCHEST-1.7.10-6.0.62.742-UNIVERSAL.jar
 MANTLE-1.7.10-0.3.2.jar
 Mekanism-1.7.10-8.1.2.229.jar
 MekanismGenerators-1.7.10-8.1.2.229.jar
 MekanismTools-1.7.10-8.1.2.229.jar
 MicdoodleCore-1.7-3.0.12.339.jar
 MineFactoryReloaded-[1.7.10]2.8.0-104.jar
 MobiusCore-1.2.5_1.7.10.jar
 MORECHISELS-1.7.10-1.0-12.jar
 NATURA-1.7.10-2.2.0.1.jar
 neiaddons-1.12.8.29-mc1.7.10.jar
 NEIIntegration-MC1.7.10-1.0.9.jar
 NetherOres-[1.7.10]2.3.0-12.jar
 NotEnoughItems-1.7.10-1.0.4.107-universal.jar
 NOTENOUGHRESOURCES-1.7.10-0.1.0.95.jar
 OpenBlocks-1.7.10-1.4.3.jar
 OpenModsLib-1.7.10-0.7.3.jar
 ProgressiveAutomation-1.7.10-1.6.16.jar
 Reliquary-1.2.jar
 SimplyJetpacks-MC1.7.10-1.4.1.jar
 STATUES-1.7.10-2.1.4.jar
 TConstruct-1.7.10-1.8.5.jar
 ThermalDynamics-[1.7.10]1.0.0-122.jar
 ThermalExpansion-[1.7.10]4.0.1-182.jar
 ThermalFoundation-[1.7.10]1.0.0-81.jar
 ThermalSmeltery-1.7.10-1.2.1.jar
 ttCore-MC1.7.10-0.1.0-67.jar
 VeinMiner-1.7.10_0.27.1.unknown.jar
 Waila-1.5.10_1.7.10.jar
 WAILAHARVESTABILITY-MC1.7.X-1.1.2.jar
 WAILAPlugins-MC1.7.10-0.0.1-15.jar
Plus the server version of Journeymap.

Fakeedit: OK, I'll try it and let you know.

Realedit - requires updating forge to 1448, which seems to be beyond my abilities right now.

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 3, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Is it supposed to look like this for BFSR? Trying to create a server and followed the steps in the thread so far.

http://pastebin.com/qHdcEBTb for the error log.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Is there a competent minimap mod that works on the current version, 1.8.8? The OP lists two but they are both several versions out of date apparently.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 4, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

goodness posted:

Is it supposed to look like this for BFSR? Trying to create a server and followed the steps in the thread so far.

http://pastebin.com/qHdcEBTb for the error log.

Some mods will scan for other mods and load more stuff in if it finds them. So that in itself is not the end of the world.

I am still not set up with my desktop but I will eventually take a stab at it myself.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Toot toot! All aboard the BFSR server archive file!

This was quick and dirty, but I was able to connect to it from my Technic instance. I recommend checking all the configs, and switching the terrain generation to ATG. I started it through the launch_server.bat. Also, if you manage to launch it okay, I'd like to connect to your servers every once in a bit to tarnish my reputation with dong huts.

The main adjustments beyond my directions was replacing JourneyMap with the server version, and making sure to use the Forge 1408 server installation. It will install it in a path with the expanded file name, which you then casually rename to forge.jar, because. Maybe you don't have to do that anymore, but I cargo cult it.

The goofy crap with ChickChunks is it decided to autoupdate itself by deleting itself first, or something. That was a huge pain in the rear end when I was trying to set up the teambuilding event, because of firewalls. I don't think that was a problem at the end of the day though.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Trip report, I'm having the polar opposite experience with Obscurity as the goon in thread who hated it, and loving it myself (E: for reference I'm a masochist in video games, so ymmv for sure, and it took me like half a dozen tries before I finally got a successful foothold established). The opening is brutally unfair bullshit because you have to try and scrounge up materials and build a safe house in an incredibly hostile area. It's real, real hard and you need to slap something together out of hope and dreams as quickly as goddamned possible with literally whatever you have on hand. The Interdiction Torch you're given at the start is your best friend for this, because it will actively repel most mobs from its immediate vicinity. I say most, because the fake player mobs you get sometimes can walk through the interdiction bubble and will murder you horribly (they hit for like 4-5 hearts a touch without armor), but are thankfully a pretty rare spawn. Once you've got a rudimentary shelter going, it's a lot of being scared and playing safe and freaking out whenever you see a mob (but you also are given an Invar Frying Pan that kills most things dead pretty quick) and slowly carving out a base and completing quests.

Biggest bit of advice I can give is that when you're ready to do the market quest, stay underground - the market box is in a building floored with Cursed Earth and you really want to approach from below, in a slabbed tunnel. Additionally, spend the emerald it gives you on pumpkin seeds - torches don't give enough light to grow crops and trees by, but Jack O' Lanterns do, and turning wood and food into renewable resources before you run out of bonemeal should be your second objective after building shelter.

Additionally, Redstone torches are incredibly useful in this mod because they give off enough light that you won't take darkness damage (also darkness damage takes a little while to set in, you don't get blendered the moment you're in the dark, you easily get like 20s to work with) and, more importantly, can be picked up and set down with no hassle. Torches got severely nerfed - the light from them sucks, though not so much that they're useless, but more importantly they have to be crafted from a new ore that's not common enough to make torches throwaway expendable, you have to light them with flint and steel, and when you break them they drop sticks instead of unlit or lit torches. Use the light from the lava at the center of the hole where the compact machine is (incidentally you should make your base in said hole, building just a ceiling and carving your base into the walls until you can get a floor built is much easier than walls+ceiling, and you can sparta invaders down into the void hole) and dig some sheltered stairs (with holes for light from lava) down to near bedrock and scrounge up some redstone for your third goal. Once you've got food, wood, redstone, and shelter you're pretty much set as far as basic needs go and can really begin to develop a base and get rolling.

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 4, 2015

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I just tried Void World and it seems pretty cool minus giving you the finnickiest cobblegen in all of Minecraft to start with. It also seems designed for two or more player play, giving you two cobble gen and two transmutation tablets to start with and a chest full of books.

It's a bit more old school in style... No Ex Niholo. it starts you with a transmutation tablet, a dark matter pick, and a cobble gen and the first few quests expect you to duplicate a bunch of stuff, you get to select difficulty, both in base EMC (500 extra EMC or hard mode) and lives (5 extra lives) seperately.

Then you finish the intro quests, a ton of poo poo opens up, it unlocks the door out of the room you start in, and there's a huge city where all the rooms are different and you go to bed and write a post about it because it's 12:30 at night.

It's well made so far, and all of the quests clearly explain what's expected, so I actually suggest it.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Worked perfectly, thanks. I don't know why forge has to force you to use its lovely installer, all I want is the loving jar file.

Magres posted:

The Interdiction Torch you're given at the start is your best friend for this, because it will actively repel most mobs from its immediate vicinity. I say most, because the fake player mobs you get sometimes can walk through the interdiction bubble and will murder you horribly (they hit for like 4-5 hearts a touch without armor), but are thankfully a pretty rare spawn.

I think that might be why I was having so little fun, those fuckers weren't rare in my world. Imagine every game ending with you getting mobbed by mediocre youtubers while direwolf20 shoots at you with a magic bow.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Ah, yeah. They're really poo poo and it's really poo poo that the interdiction torch doesn't work on them. I definitely think it's a bug and not a feature though, because the questbook explicitly calls out the torch as "THIS WILL GIVE YOU A SAFE BUBBLE TO WORK IN" and when I wasn't getting the lovely youtuber mob on my butt, it worked really well and gave me enough space to get things set up, even if it wasn't comfortable to have four or five zombies smashing their faces into the interdiction bubble and groaning at me.

Once I get further in (I finished setting up the basics of Tinker's Construct, I'm working on farming and getting some more tech going) I might do a full writeup of starting off up to mid-game. One thing that's cool is that this pack does have what looks like a billion quests, and a lot of their own interactions with various mods added in and their own tech tree with regards to light. The most holy of holy interdiction torches is eventually craftable, and I just discovered an endgame item called "Ichorium Infused Hyperenergetic Singularity of Light" that I really want because I feel like it's going to be "everything around you is always super well lit. Also, mobs that go anywhere near you burn like the heretics they are."

E: Yeah nevermind, once you hit early-mid game the mod turns into an awful slog because trying to travel around the Underdark is awful and you have to travel several kilometers to get to places to progress. Nope! The idea of there being little pockets of safe hidden around is cool except for the fact that the underdark darkness mechanic is awful for trying to travel anywhere unless you have a hyperenergetic nitor.

Magres fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 5, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The youtube personality mobs are dumb and bad and you should just disable them in the Headcrumbs config.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So it's been a month since the last time we got an update on the new Technic sponsored packs. Not that I'm expecting them to be good, but still.

It's also been about long since the last time I heard anything Blightfall related, which is somewhat more upsetting.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

The youtube personality mobs are dumb and bad and you should just disable them in the Headcrumbs config.

No they are hilarious because you get to murder them and decorate your house with the heads of fallen youtube celebrities. And if you have morph installed too...you can kill them and become them. A good lesson for all those kids currently being raised by a combination of minecraft and youtube!

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

How possible is it to change what version of forge you're using? We did a pretty basic install process:
1. Install vanilla MC, edit profile to choose release 1.8, launch and quit.
2. Install Forge 11.14.3.1450, launch, quit.

Then we shoved a bunch of mods in the mod folder and went to town.

I'm now finding that the Shaders mod, Optifine, and SEUS all work, but only on a different forge profile than we chose to begin with. Is it possible to take a world created under that forge profile and get it to work with either a newer or older forge profile, say .1336 or .1487? If we just re-install everything under a new forge profile and dump the old world into the saves folder, will it work?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
What packs are out there that are good for laptops? settings turned as far down as they can go, BFSR lags a lot when generating but is mostly ok when it's not.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

The Wonder Weapon posted:

How possible is it to change what version of forge you're using? We did a pretty basic install process:
1. Install vanilla MC, edit profile to choose release 1.8, launch and quit.
2. Install Forge 11.14.3.1450, launch, quit.

Then we shoved a bunch of mods in the mod folder and went to town.

I'm now finding that the Shaders mod, Optifine, and SEUS all work, but only on a different forge profile than we chose to begin with. Is it possible to take a world created under that forge profile and get it to work with either a newer or older forge profile, say .1336 or .1487? If we just re-install everything under a new forge profile and dump the old world into the saves folder, will it work?

Generally speaking the only thing that matters to a world is if the mods stay the same so the block IDs don't get hosed up (this may be different and less of an issue in 1.8, I don't know). So you can experiment with Forge versions for the same MC version, and as long as all the mods continue to work you should be fine. I'd back up the world just in case though if you're going to downgrade. I periodically have to update the Forge version for my server (1.7.10) and it's never been a world-killer.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

axelsoar posted:

What packs are out there that are good for laptops? settings turned as far down as they can go, BFSR lags a lot when generating but is mostly ok when it's not.

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/modderation-fyad-edition.696257

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

axelsoar posted:

Is the terrain generation the big problem? When I first assembled the pack, I dodged the problem by having the server for the teambuilding event just pregenerate a huge swath of terrain. Even on an unoccupied server, that did take a long time. That was back when I was unsure if Forge had fixed some part of terrain generation that I had been hearing was slowing down terrain generation in 1.7.10. I am wondering now if there is some stuff I'm doing in the ore generation settings that are slowing it down.

I wondered if you could help me in a simple experiment. Just for starters, could you contrast the terrain generation speed of the pack with the vanilla 1.7.10 terrain generation? In a pinch, you can just select a vanilla 1.7.10 modpack off Technic and have it up in a jiffy.

A theory I wanted to check is that I am thrashing the CoFH oregen by having it repeatedly try to generate all that generous ore. The increase spawn chances means it's going to try that many more times to transform stone into those given ores. Compared to a more strict mod pack, that's something like more than 5x more attempts.

I don't think most of the mods in there are otherwise really contributing to terrain generation. I use ATG because I prefer the look over the vanilla generator. Natura will do some stuff--most notably fling down some redwoods--but I don't think people really ever complain it performs poorly in itself. AE2 will do its meteor thing.

We were using Fastcraft for our playthrough, but I can't remember if I actually put it in the official pack. I knew it was bad to package Optifine, and I think people told me Fastcraft was okay to include, but I don't remember if I did it. It would be in the mods folder if it's there.

Finally, you can try to smash JourneyMap with something else. I've heard some bellyaching about it and its possible it's hogging system resources.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I wondered if you could help me in a simple experiment. Just for starters, could you contrast the terrain generation speed of the pack with the vanilla 1.7.10 terrain generation? In a pinch, you can just select a vanilla 1.7.10 modpack off Technic and have it up in a jiffy.

Sure thing.

Vanilla on 1.7.10 took about 5 seconds after hitting Create New World to load the actual in-game screen. frame-rate was jittery for a few seconds while generating trrain then was solid. Punching trees and making a bench caused no noticeable lag and things seemed fine.

BFSR took about 40 seconds before the in-game screen came up after hitting Create New World. Frame-rate was a slideshow for the first 15 seconds or so while the world popped in, once it got itself settled it was playable,, noticeably lower frame-rate from Vanilla but not jarringly so. It held steady as I broke trees and made a crafting bench and killed a few chickens, ran north for a bit and it started to slow, though not as bad as on startup.

Modderation: FYAD took about 25 seconds to get to the in-game screen after hitting Create New World. Game was unresponsive for a few seconds before I could move, at about 5 frames per second. Once I let the world around me load, the game was still very choppy. The frameate never really improved and trying to punch down a tree and make a crafting bench was very laggy.

All 3 tests were done on peaceful, 90 FOV, no smooth lighting, fast graphics, min particle effects, 6 chunks draw distance, Java 64 bit with 3 gigs allocated.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 6, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Every modpack needs fastcraft in it, the world generation improvements are absolutely enormous. Like, going from 20 second startup with constant worldgen jitter to a 3 second startup with buttery smooth on-the-fly generation.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I just tried to put Fastcraft in BFSR and it says it is in there already.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

axelsoar posted:

I just tried to put Fastcraft in BFSR and it says it is in there already.

Does Modderation: FYAD have it? My thinking right now is it doesn't, and it will be faster than BFSR if you tucked it in there. If not, I am at a loss. If so, I could possibly tune BFSR some more, but it will be iterative over some days.

Is there a metric I can call up to show me terrain generation times? I don't want to drag people in and cause a bunch of turnaround asking people to try tweaks that I can't readily view and verify.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does Modderation: FYAD have it? My thinking right now is it doesn't, and it will be faster than BFSR if you tucked it in there. If not, I am at a loss. If so, I could possibly tune BFSR some more, but it will be iterative over some days.

Is there a metric I can call up to show me terrain generation times? I don't want to drag people in and cause a bunch of turnaround asking people to try tweaks that I can't readily view and verify.

Modd:FYAD did not have it and it has drastically faster FPS, the same as BFSR as far as I can tell. For all I know the first world in FYAD had poo poo near it that made it run slower, but wow, this is night and day.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

axelsoar posted:

Modd:FYAD did not have it and it has drastically faster FPS, the same as BFSR as far as I can tell. For all I know the first world in FYAD had poo poo near it that made it run slower, but wow, this is night and day.

If you switch the modpack options to run the "Latest" version instead of recommended it will be the Recommended version with Fastcraft. If you thought FYAD was fast before, prepare to be amazed.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Fortis posted:

Generally speaking the only thing that matters to a world is if the mods stay the same so the block IDs don't get hosed up (this may be different and less of an issue in 1.8, I don't know). So you can experiment with Forge versions for the same MC version, and as long as all the mods continue to work you should be fine. I'd back up the world just in case though if you're going to downgrade. I periodically have to update the Forge version for my server (1.7.10) and it's never been a world-killer.

Thanks! I ended up getting it working on a different version of forge.

On that note, I'm running some shaders and OptiFine, and I'm unsure if my FPS is as good as it could be. Here's what I'm working with:

Minecraft 1.8
Forge 11.14.3.1450
OptiFine 1.8.0 HD_U_D5
ShadersMod-v2.4.12mc1.8
Soartex Fanver 2.8.4 resource pack
Sildurs Vibrant Shaders 1.08 Medium

System:
i5-3570k @3.4ghz
Radeon HD 7800

I'm averaging about 30ish FPS. When I switch to Forge .1336 and use SEUS shaders (any of the v10.1 ones) I still only get about 30 FPS, probably slightly lower. Does that sound about right? (With no resource packs or shaders of any kind, I get 55-60.)

shas
Jul 27, 2011

I hadn't played Minecraft in a long time and my friends who are are playing an FTB pack and man, some of the mods seem to have got even more grindy as gently caress

IC2 and AE2 in particular seem to have just added a whole bunch of poo poo to be a pain. TE and Tinker's Construct seem about the same though, which is nice.

edit: also modular powersuits seems to be dead? :smith:

shas fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 7, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

shas posted:

I hadn't played Minecraft in a long time and my friends who are are playing an FTB pack and man, some of the mods seem to have got even more grindy as gently caress

IC2 and AE2 in particular seem to have just added a whole bunch of poo poo to be a pain. TE and Tinker's Construct seem about the same though, which is nice.

edit: also modular powersuits seems to be dead? :smith:

if you want OP armor check out FLORA

Also for flight - Angel Wings
Weapons - Imbued Swords

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
http://www.technicpack.net/JA-EXCCS-004-01

:)

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Ah, a live feed of Kakermix and his spare bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Elswyyr posted:

Ah, a live feed of Kakermix and his spare bodies.

:stare: I think that's for blightfall.