Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
He has a nightclub in his house. If he's actually using it every weekend I can see that contributing quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

drat Bananas posted:

I can't get past the utilities. Even if you take my highest bills I've ever had for gas, electric, and water and multiply it by 10 (so... 20,000sqft), it's not even half what his is. I can see going nuts with gadgets and clothing and cars and useless ~stuff~ people buy... but utilities?? How.

Utility costs do not go up in a straight line with house size, and as already noted he probably has a bunch of energy gobbling poo poo on his estate property that you don't have.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Utility costs do not go up in a straight line with house size, and as already noted he probably has a bunch of energy gobbling poo poo on his estate property that you don't have.

Well yeah I figured as much, but $14,200 every month. Wow. I didn't know about the nightclub, so that makes a lot more sense.

Edit: Jesus his house is 48,515sqft! I didn't realize houses got that big unless they were castles. So... proportionally to my own house that's ~$585/month on utilities. While severely uncomfortable, not totally outrageous. I'm just in awe of that lifestyle.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 6, 2015

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...
A bit late but I'm a truck driver currently saving for code school. I'm doing codeschool.com in my free time but driving a truck is a bullshit job and the world will be better for not putting people through the lifestyle. I couldn't imagine having a family and doing this.

Good with money and truck driving: I met my current GF at another job doing camping tours and that company paid for us to get Class B Commercial Licenses. After that job (which was terrible with money, long story but basically non english speaking tourists don't tip too well) we went to New Mexico and got a government grant to get a semi truck license. $5,000 for each of us. School was 3 weeks and then we got jobs with another $6,000 signing bonus and made about $1,200 weekly. We did that for about ten months but she got sick of it. I'm still driving but I'm home more often than not.

I have many horror stories about the people I've met within trucking. People that will lease a goddamned $150k truck without knowing how to even start the fuckin thing. A few companies out there aren't logistics or freight movers, they're scams to garnish people's future wages.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Complete derail: is codeschool any good? Have you looked into coursera and edx?

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...

Suspicious Lump posted:

Complete derail: is codeschool any good? Have you looked into coursera and edx?

Yes it's good, I tried a few and it's worth paying the $29 a month. I'm doing the JavaScript course right now, probably follow with Ruby on Rails after. I've gotta get out of this truck.

Bad with money: Quitting college at 19 to be a traveling musician...good with money: fixing that problem at 26, rather than holding onto some bullshit dream at 52.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

cumshitter posted:

Like, what? Have giant batteries delivered to your home or get hooked up to a more distant, but more reliable, grid or something?

A lot of power companies buy energy from renewable sources (wind and solar farms) and charge their own customers a premium so they can say their power comes from 100% renewable sources. It's a questionable practice in my opinion (what the power companies are doing, not actually using renewable energy), especially once things like renewable energy credits get brought into the equation, because at that point it starts to look like a shell game.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Ornamented Death posted:

A lot of power companies buy energy from renewable sources (wind and solar farms) and charge their own customers a premium so they can say their power comes from 100% renewable sources. It's a questionable practice in my opinion (what the power companies are doing, not actually using renewable energy), especially once things like renewable energy credits get brought into the equation, because at that point it starts to look like a shell game.

What's questionable? If customers want to support renewable energy and pay a premium to do so, sounds fine to me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Ornamented Death posted:

Once power goes into the grid, doesn't it get all mixed in?

To use the usual water comparison, that's like the city charging you more because they dumped a truckload of spring water in the reservoir.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
I posted about this same man before, but hey let's have an update!

way back, PowFu posted:

I have a second coworker who also makes minimum wage, and puts in over 60 hours per week to provide for his family of 2 kids and a stay at home wife. This is about 2400/month before tax, if he can manage to keep up a 60 hr work week. He told me one day how after he pays 1.3k in rent and 300 for car maintenance/insurance, he is barely able to afford food and necessities for his family. While this isn't an optimal situation to be in, I figured that since he drives a 2002 Corolla, can provide for his kids and isn't in debt, in my eyes he isn't doing anything horribly irresponsible with his money.

My view of him changed however when he told me he wanted to purchase a house within the year. He was looking at listings that were in the 600-800k range. I asked him why he was in such a hurry and he replied "Real estate ONLY GOES UP. I want to stop throwing away my money as rent. I must buy now or the prices will be too much and I wont be able to sell it at a good profit". I'm not too worried though, I'm sure financial institutions will be responsible enough to refuse him a mortgage and crush his dreams before they ruin his life. They will say no right?

Let's name the man Peter. Peter and I have talked a lot in the last 18 months so I know more about his personal/financial history.

Peter and his wife + 2 kids are from Sri Lanka, where they used to be teachers and have a decent living. They decide to move here to Canada so that their children can have a better future. They sell their poo poo, build up their savings and come over. After a couple years the wife hates the Canadian cold and wants to go back. They move again back home, but after another year or so their kids realize they love Canada and want to go back! Peter and his wife remember that tiny thing where they want a better future for their kids so they come back to Canada AGAIN. This journey could not have been cheap in term of money or time.

Ok, no biggie, people learn from their mistakes right? Let's go back to present day. Business at the store hasn't improved so Peter's hours have been cut. No raises in the last year either. Tired of his minimum wage bullshit he decides to sell houses since they get like x% commission and houses here in Toronto go for like 600k+ (I think there might be a bubble.. maybe..). He studies for the exams at work and fails them twice before getting his license in November 2014. This sets him back ~7000, most of which is on his line of credit. To this date he has not sold a single house and regularly tries to take time off work, which is paid by the hour, to get opportunities to sell homes. He also tells me he needs to upgrade his car to make himself look more successful in front of his clients.

In the last month I have found out that:
- He bought a house for 650k (!!!) Apparently he had a nest egg from selling his poo poo in Sri Lanka, but it's all been spent on the down payment.
- His mortgage payments are 1640/month. This job's take home pay is ~1600/month. When he was renting he was paying 1300. Oh yeah, he didn't mention property tax either!
- He's 40, and has been working minimum wage nearly his entire time in Canada. I have no idea why anyone approved his mortgage.
- His new house is in Scarborough. Donno how many of you guys are from Toronto, but basically his car insurance has gone up an additional $60/month as a result of moving.
- His credit card balance is at 3k. He tells me he is unable to make a dent in it.
- He has a side job that gives him 500/ month. So at least that's a plus.
- He tells me not to get married, since his wife wants to buy nice furniture for the new house and he has caved in.
- His wife has a job for the summer, but goes back to school in September. She is not expected to make more than 1000 this month. He tells me that once she goes back to school he will be screwed without a third job.
- Because of his wife's job, she wants him to get her a second car. I see him looking at car offers online at work.
- It's gonna be November in a few months, so his real estate license fees are due soon. They are not cheap.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Once power goes into the grid, doesn't it get all mixed in?

To use the usual water comparison, that's like the city charging you more because they dumped a truckload of spring water in the reservoir.

Yes that's how it works. However on the retail side they charge you for renewable energy and they buy it all from a renewable energy generation source.

In my office there are more concerns around domestic solar energy feeding onto the grid where the infrastructure design was never intended to have power going in the opposite direction. Although I don't see any issue with generating power that you use entirely yourself, and increased demand for renewable energy on the market can have a positive impact.

PowFu posted:

- He tells me not to get married, since his wife wants to buy nice furniture for the new house and he has caved in.

There's some solid good with money advice. It's all a countdown to financial meltdown for poor Peter.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 6, 2015

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Green Mind posted:

Yes it's good, I tried a few and it's worth paying the $29 a month. I'm doing the JavaScript course right now, probably follow with Ruby on Rails after. I've gotta get out of this truck.

Learning Ruby on Rails in 2015 is bad with money. Learn Angular or React or go the devops route and learn Jenkins, Ansible and Docker

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Here's someone who alllllmost gets it, from a facebook group that my wife follows:

quote:

WWDRD? (What would dave ramsey do) we had an unexpected medical bill come up($2,000). Do we put it on our credit card and make payments OR pay it off in full with our savings account? (About $7,000). We are trying really hard to build up our savings account so it sucks taking out a big chunk :(
Everyone says "use your savings, idiot. That's what it's for"

quote:

Thanks ladies!!!! It's actually dental work so we didn't ask the dentist if they have payment plans. We put it on a credit card where my husband gets cabellas points. So looks like we will pay it off in full in a couple weeks. Thank you thank you!
Well, I hope they didn't have an outstanding balance already. :ohdear:

Here's a reddits
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3fwd51/i_want_to_buy_a_house_but_have_no_idea_what_im/

quote:

I want to buy a house but have no idea what I'm doing (self.personalfinance)
submitted 12 hours ago by KShadow1151
I want to buy a house - I have a specific one in mind and it's basically mine and my so's dream home. I'm 22, he's 25, and I've got about 100k put away in stocks right now. The house I'm looking at is 240k, it's a 4 bedroom 1 ba 3300sq ft in an amazing area of town.
Both of us are just above minimum wage (about 1500/month take home total between the two of us) and we're both looking for something higher paying, but we could rent out a couple of rooms in the house since it's larger than we need until we start a family to make up for it.
I've got no idea what I'm doing, where do I start, how do I get this beautiful home? Any and all advice is appreciated.

and another
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3funb5/was_hired_at_a_great_company_making_34x_what_i/

quote:

Was hired at a great company making 3-4x what I previously was but I instantly have more bills, and have no spending money. (self.personalfinance)
submitted 22 hours ago * by Mmm_dat_sound
I was making 900> USD a month for 6 months, I got hired at a manufacturing plant where I'm making $21.04/hr. Guaranteed 40hr weeks. Im 19 and have the luxury of living with my parents until i can save to move out. Their car broke down and they forced me into buying a brand new car for 17k. They cosigned the loan so I could get a lower interest rate and put a 4k down payment on the car so my payments would be cheaper. I would buy the car, and they would use it until they could afford to buy a new SUV.
Dealership put on a 48mo loan, which makes my payments about 323 dollars per month. After taxes and fees and interest, it makes the car 19.5k. I want to pay off the car in 29mo with a 500 dollar payment every month so i can get rid of my payments faster and have the extra 500 dollars in my pocket.
Since I was 14, my parents have been keeping a tab on how much money I owed them. Currently thats at $5100. Including the down payment. I recently paid off 1k so its down to 4.1k
Heres a quick snapshot of my current bills/month
28 for internet accounts
40 for phone
50 for gas
90 for car insurance
500 for car payment.
45 for rent
Anything left over is given to my parents.
Im a musician and am needing higher performance gear as I have outgrown my current setup. A pair of Yamaha HS8 studio monitors and an HS8S studio sub. Industry standard, every music producer needs these or a similar set of monitors. Ive been producing for 5 years and a musician for 13-14 years, so please dont say I dont need these. The cost of the 3 speakers and the pads and the cables would be about 1200.
My question is how do I save up 1200 dollars when every penny is going straight to bills or my parents. I dont have anything in a Roth IRA or emergency fund, only 7% into a company matched 401k, and I only have about 100-200 dollars combined in my bank account at any given time to cover my bills.
Edit Holy poo poo this blew up
Edit 2: TIFU, Insurance was only 3k a year.
"I am an adult being financially abused by my parents (OR AM I?), but that's not the question I'm asking. I'm asking how I can save money"

There are some real idiots in the comments:

quote:

I have no idea why this comment is being upvoted (other than the fact that yes, your parents sound financially abusive). The comment is retarded from a financial standpoint. Absolutely do not sell your car. You will instantly lose thousands. Everyone deserves a reliable car, that they can afford. And you can afford $323 a month. The minute you drive a new car off the lot the selling price drops significantly. Sure, it may have been more than you wanted to spend, but don't put yourself in a deeper hole by selling a brand new vehicle for a >$3,000 loss. Lastly, I have no idea how finding an apartment and moving out is going to help your financial situation when you are currently paying $45 a month in rent. You're not going to beat that.
Uhm, no. He's paying 100% of his income in rent and "debt repayment" to his parents.

quote:

He is living at home for 45 dollars a month. He has a good deal right now. If he moves out, he will be paying over 500 bucks in just rent that is thrown away.
There it is, the old "renting is throwing money away" bit.

A few other wise people in the comments are thinking we may not be getting the whole story here, like maybe his parents agreed to loan him $5k to buy a bunch of instruments and that's the debt he owes.

Here's a guy who is good with money, a real BFC hero.
http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/20934/ravens-guard-john-urschel-is-living-big-in-a-tiny-car
Graduate degree in STEM field, and drives a used Nissan compact bought for $9k. Oh, and is a starting linebacker for the Ravens.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Win the Super Bowl an' drive off in a Hyundai

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
He is a guard, not a linebacker. Also, he started only 3 games last season. Everything else is true.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Nocheez posted:

He is a guard, not a linebacker. Also, he started only 3 games last season. Everything else is true.

Thanks Fishmech

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Barry posted:

What's questionable? If customers want to support renewable energy and pay a premium to do so, sounds fine to me.

Because of what FrozenVent said. New Belgium Brewing is a great company to refer to in a situation like this: a year or two back they admitted the whole thing is only a few steps removed from a scam and decided to take all that money they were spending on RECs and instead invest it internally on improving the efficiency of their processes.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Ornamented Death posted:

Because of what FrozenVent said. New Belgium Brewing is a great company to refer to in a situation like this: a year or two back they admitted the whole thing is only a few steps removed from a scam and decided to take all that money they were spending on RECs and instead invest it internally on improving the efficiency of their processes.

I don't think anyone believes that when you're purchasing renewable energy, you're actually purchasing the specific electrons that are being generated by the solar panels or wind turbines or whatever that are however many miles away.

If that was the belief, then every single grid connected energy supply contract would be a "scam", regardless of generation type.

RECs are a separate matter entirely (but are there for supporting renewable energy above and beyond just paying for the power) and are a little intangible/obtuse but if you're going to purchase them, you probably know what they are.

Anyway, bad derail for BWM thread.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Right. The power company buys so many MwH from a windfarm/solar farm, whatever. Or they generate that much on their own. Then they feed it into the grid. They can sell that much "green" energy. If they get audited and sold more than they generated/bought, FERC will rape them with a tire iron.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's actually a fine.

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...

the talent deficit posted:

Learning Ruby on Rails in 2015 is bad with money. Learn Angular or React or go the devops route and learn Jenkins, Ansible and Docker

Thank you for this.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Yep yep yep. Also, learn how to code with the mess that is bootstrap supporting your grid. So many clients this past year have insisted on BOOTSTRAP! without knowing anything about what it is or how it works, it's the new RESPONSIVE! (and then you show them the site and they don't understand why you're not building them a separate mobile site).

Bootstrap is fine, by the way, for building a site from scratch, but when you have a client who has thousands of pages stretching back 15 years that were not really built with bootstrap in mind, it's hell.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Learning RoR will give you jobs for years, just maintaining all the crap code written during its heyday. (People will strong PHP backgrounds are still getting hired for the same reason.)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

lifg posted:

just maintaining all the crap code written during its heyday

A quick path to alcoholism, but at least you'll be able to afford the top shelf stuff.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

lifg posted:

Learning RoR will give you jobs for years, just maintaining all the crap code written during its heyday. (People will strong PHP backgrounds are still getting hired for the same reason.)

Yeah, or you could learn something even more in demand and future proof like Angular/React and make twice as much? Seriously, don't anyone waste time on Ruby. Python is still ok.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Yeah, or you could learn something even more in demand and future proof like Angular/React and make twice as much? Seriously, don't anyone waste time on Ruby. Python is still ok.

Although he does have a point. There's a guy in my office who knows PERL. We have a CMS that is 100% fuckin PERL. He's not very good, but he so much as sneezes and he gets a raise because the CMS is so integral and archaic no one knows where to even begin redoing it and PERL programmers have all moved on to actual better things.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Jesus Christ, we're approaching a singularity point where the Silicon Valley circle jerk will be creating languages and frameworks so fast they will be obsolete before release.

What the gently caress are any of those things?

Edit: I mean aside from Ruby on Rails, which I would be skeptical of if someone suggested for a project since it seems excessively trendy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Enterprise Application Development FrameWork Engine Technologies of course

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I've been a professional software developer for nine years and make a lot of money doing it. I googled Jenkins, Ansible and Docker and I still don't know what they are.

Playbooks and containers are what I gathered. So if the Dallas Cowboys need to keep their playbook in a box, that's what they use I guess.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

DuckConference posted:

Jesus Christ, we're approaching a singularity point where the Silicon Valley circle jerk will be creating languages and frameworks so fast they will be obsolete before release.

What the gently caress are any of those things?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I looked up ReactJS - It's basically a Javascript library. It is a very confusing (but presumably simpler, I guess) way of doing AJAX type stuff.

A few years ago I had to look up what type of developer I am because I didn't understand job listings anymore. Apparently I'm a "full stack" developer because I can actually make a web application without 17 other people helping me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I saw myself at a crossroads when graduating and was like "yep, definitely not touching this web stuff" so now I work on operating systems and low level network code, we still jerk off manually in my department.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Is it a good career move for a line cook to learn cuisinart?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

Is it a good career move for a line cook to learn cuisinart?

KitchenAid 2.0 is now standard.

You know the rice cooker API right?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Nail Rat posted:

I've been a professional software developer for nine years and make a lot of money doing it. I googled Jenkins, Ansible and Docker and I still don't know what they are.

Playbooks and containers are what I gathered. So if the Dallas Cowboys need to keep their playbook in a box, that's what they use I guess.

Jenkins is for running tests on the code after some intern commits so you can see that they broke everything before you push their poo poo to master.

Docker is for when you're IN THE CLOUD and you want to deploy system images TO THE CLOUD or some dork's machine. They can put in the docker file and it's a little sandboxed version of YOUR STUFF that's "portable".

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I saw myself at a crossroads when graduating and was like "yep, definitely not touching this web stuff" so now I work on operating systems and low level network code, we still jerk off manually in my department.

C/C++ is where it's at, be it systems stuff or embedded -- we will be around forever

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

I do distributed systems and gross data warehousing stuff mostly, not any of that stuff. I wasn't suggesting they're the be all and end all of software development but we hire people with six months of boot camp to do Angular stuff at six figures plus. We'd probably pay more for someone with a similar level of proficiency in devops stuff. If you want to go from zero to subsisting on $30 bottles of soylent or whatever you don't want to waste time learning java or c++ or operating systems. You can do that in your downtime when you're taking your two months of vacation from the job you got doing Angular junk.

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...
Any GWM recommendations for a code bootcamp? So from what I've gathered, just picking a language is tough enough. I really just want to make a good salary. I can make 70k a year driving a truck but my sanity, health and relationships will always suffer. Plus it's a 70 hour week every week. Right now I get one day off for every week I work. Typing this from a truck stop in PA right now while my GF is in Reno.

From what I've been learning in code school, I understand the framework and whatnot, I feel confident in my ability to learn this stuff.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Picking up a new language is mostly trivial once you know how to code - there's some intangible understanding you need to gain but once you have it, you're golden.

e: the derails thread....I'm sorry

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

PowFu posted:

Let's name the man Peter. Peter and I have talked a lot in the last 18 months so I know more about his personal/financial history.

Ok, no biggie, people learn from their mistakes right? Let's go back to present day. Business at the store hasn't improved so Peter's hours have been cut. No raises in the last year either. Tired of his minimum wage bullshit he decides to sell houses since they get like x% commission and houses here in Toronto go for like 600k+ (I think there might be a bubble.. maybe..). He studies for the exams at work and fails them twice before getting his license in November 2014. This sets him back ~7000, most of which is on his line of credit. To this date he has not sold a single house and regularly tries to take time off work, which is paid by the hour, to get opportunities to sell homes. He also tells me he needs to upgrade his car to make himself look more successful in front of his clients.
I don't know what it is about the Real Estate Agent industry, but it seems to attract so a lot of foolish people who are looking for "easy money". I know several people who've decided to "flip houses" on a whim, simply because the GTA's real estate market is hot. And they all seem to go through the same cycle- decide to 'flip' houses, pay a bunch of fees for their licensing, quit after 6-8 months.

What they don't seem to realize is that the Real Estate industry is among one of the most competitive fields of work in the country. Even for successful agents, being a Real Estate Agent is tough. And if you're starting from scratch with no network of clients and no mentoring agent who can show you the ropes, the cards are immediately stacked against you. Every week we get new agents soliciting their services door-to-door, as well as dozens of of doorhangers/brochures from other agents who are just begging for a lead.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

melon cat posted:

I don't know what it is about the Real Estate Agent industry, but it seems to attract so a lot of foolish people who are looking for "easy money".
It's a legalized cartel that adds very little value while loving over everyone else. If you're good at loving people and making them like it, you can make big money.

• Locked thread