Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bpower
Feb 19, 2011

prom candy posted:

Ok let's get real here, should i buy a mechanical keyboard or what.

i'm literally willing to do anything to get better at CS except work hard and practice.

I'd imagine counter strafing in particular being easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Mechanical keyboards are amazing. The CS argument is that the auditory clicks / response times of a mechanical allow you to react faster for ADADing etc. so you'll more accurately time your shots. From the product perspective. You're never going to have to buy another gaming keyboard once you have one. From a day to day use perspective, I definitely noticed that I can type much faster on my mechanical than I can any other keyboard I have used. Not to mention the fact that you have to go pretty far out of your way to break a mechanical.

K70 = master board.

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=467

The keyboard I use.

Rusty Bodega
Feb 12, 2012

Colowful Wizuds

Kwilty posted:

Not to mention the fact that you have to go pretty far out of your way to break a mechanical.

K70 = master board.

It's got an aluminum chasis to boot. Slam your fists down all you want in a blind rage, it'll handle it.

They're always sold out though... :saddowns: I've been trying to find one not used for a while and it's hard to come across.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I have a tenkeyless blue switch keyboard so everyone gets really annoyed when i key my mic open as I type

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I've noticed pretty much all professional teams don't pick up AK's when given the chance. What's the logic behind that; knowing when you hear an AK it's an enemy? Or is the M4A1-S just that good?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
I never thought the sound would help. Isn't the main point the precise activation point ?

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

fennesz posted:

I've noticed pretty much all professional teams don't pick up AK's when given the chance. What's the logic behind that; knowing when you hear an AK it's an enemy? Or is the M4A1-S just that good?

The m4a1s is preposterously good

I'm a pubshit player and I pick up an m4a1-s whenever I see one on T side and pick up an AK on CT side only when I feel like I'm going to need 30 bullets, such as when I'm holding B on Cache from generator and need to worry about a rush where I can't dip back to reload

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Carol Pizzamom posted:

The m4a1s is preposterously good

I'm a pubshit player and I pick up an m4a1-s whenever I see one on T side and pick up an AK on CT side only when I feel like I'm going to need 30 bullets, such as when I'm holding B on Cache from generator and need to worry about a rush where I can't dip back to reload

I mean I knew it was good but I guess I'm just used to the AK's 1tap ability being the be all end all of what you'd want in a gun.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

fennesz posted:

I mean I knew it was good but I guess I'm just used to the AK's 1tap ability being the be all end all of what you'd want in a gun.

You can't always rely on it, but yes the AK is very good.. But if you get a headshot with an m4 it's very rarely not a kill because any second shot will do and that thing has very little recoil so you just pull down a bit and done

And, oddly enough, if you have to panic spray someone in the torso/head qcb the m4a1s is probably superior for it as long as you don't run out of bullets

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

fennesz posted:

It is; not sure what match you were watching but plenty of pros will drop m4s for AKs and I rarely if ever see pros swap AKs for M4s on the T side. The advantage of the A1-s is not giving up your position just by the act of firing, so you'll rarely see an M4 picked up by a terrorist because the 1-shot capability is more of an advantage when you're the aggressor. Whether to pick up an AK on the CT side is dependent on playstyle and what position you're playing, which is why some pros will do it more often than others. For example, raw fraggers like pretty much all of the guys on C9 will pick up AKs over M4s (shroud in particular), whereas sneaky-as-gently caress players like snax tend to stick with the silenced gun.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Carol Pizzamom posted:

You can't always rely on it, but yes the AK is very good.. But if you get a headshot with an m4 it's very rarely not a kill because any second shot will do and that thing has very little recoil so you just pull down a bit and done

And, oddly enough, if you have to panic spray someone in the torso/head qcb the m4a1s is probably superior for it as long as you don't run out of bullets

Disagree with all of this

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Kwilty posted:

Mechanical keyboards are amazing. The CS argument is that the auditory clicks / response times of a mechanical allow you to react faster for ADADing etc. so you'll more accurately time your shots.

lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

personally I set up a microphone just above wasd so I can hear the click clacks through my headset

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

real dilemma posted:

It is; not sure what match you were watching but plenty of pros will drop m4s for AKs and I rarely if ever see pros swap AKs for M4s on the T side. The advantage of the A1-s is not giving up your position just by the act of firing, so you'll rarely see an M4 picked up by a terrorist because the 1-shot capability is more of an advantage when you're the aggressor. Whether to pick up an AK on the CT side is dependent on playstyle and what position you're playing, which is why some pros will do it more often than others. For example, raw fraggers like pretty much all of the guys on C9 will pick up AKs over M4s (shroud in particular), whereas sneaky-as-gently caress players like snax tend to stick with the silenced gun.

I think get_right once said that he prefers m4a1-s when on T side for the lurkability and aim, and the AK on CT side because of easier site holding thanks to raw damage and more bullets.

A raw fragger probably wants an AK on both sides, and a Snax probably wants an M4 on both sides; both are great guns

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Disagree with all of this

loving 1v1 me irl scoutzknivez

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

prom candy posted:

Ok let's get real here, should i buy a mechanical keyboard or what.

i'm literally willing to do anything to get better at CS except work hard and practice.

Mechanical keyboards are like SSDs. You don't know you need one until you have one, and then you can't go back. It won't have an impact on your game much but every keyboard after will feel mushy and cheap.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Invest in a good mechanical keyboard, its comfy as hell and its gonna last longer than your razer LED satan

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I use apple keyboards at work and at home right now. if I get a mechanical keyboard at home I guess I'll need one at work too.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Speaking from experience, it's not a good idea to use blue switches at work if you like your coworkers and don't have private offices.

I use Apple keyboards at work, mechanical at home and it's no big deal to switch between them.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I use this and it's extremely good (brown switches): http://www.daskeyboard.com/daskeyboard-4-professional/

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
lol at all these 20th century keyboard users get with the future.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

I'd like to try out one of the ultra-light, linear mechanical keyboards, which are I think red and white

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I broke the A key on a laptop by strafing too hard when someone scared the gently caress out of me haha. Laptop keyboards suck.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Do USB Ethernet adapters work just as well as if you were to directly plug in an Ethernet cable? My computer has had issues with its Ethernet drivers since day 1 and the wifi adapter I've been using has led to many frustrating moments in Counter Strike (i.e. last nights Goonman).

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

If I were to bet on CS:GO again are there still constant DDOSes or did they finally stop some of it because that's one of the reasons I stopped doing it so long ago.

DDOSes almost never hit bettable games any more because IP leaks within CSGO were fixed and pro players now know enough to avoid leaking their IP through other means. You occasionally see one when someone slips up though.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

If I were to bet on CS:GO again are there still constant DDOSes or did they finally stop some of it because that's one of the reasons I stopped doing it so long ago.

Edit: Better cusses than oval office include "smip, coalspinner, fleshcobbler".

Leagues started forcing forfeits if you can't play because of ddos, and don't have a substitute handy. It solved a lot of the problems with pros not being careful about hiding their ips.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

lol at all these 20th century keyboard users get with the future.

lol if you still use mouse and keyboard in 2015

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

lol if you still use mouse and keyboard in 2015

why did they remove the touchscreen

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

What is a good addon microphone? I have a set of sennheisers that I want to use as my headset.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Kwilty posted:

What is a good addon microphone? I have a set of sennheisers that I want to use as my headset.

I have senns as well, I got one of these:

http://www.modmic.com/

Got it on sale so it wasn't $50 which is an absurd price, but it's great and magnetic so I can just pop it off when I don't need the mic. I sound like poo poo ingame but I think that's my problem, not the mics

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Kwilty posted:

I use a dirt cheap logitech C270 webcam as a directional microphone. It takes up zero desk space and gives me better sound quality than most people I play with

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Thorgot posted:

DDOSes almost never hit bettable games any more because IP leaks within CSGO were fixed and pro players now know enough to avoid leaking their IP through other means. You occasionally see one when someone slips up though.

xsf421 posted:

Leagues started forcing forfeits if you can't play because of ddos, and don't have a substitute handy. It solved a lot of the problems with pros not being careful about hiding their ips.

This is good. Now if they'd actually start at the time they say instead of "give or take 30 minutes" I'd have nothing to complain about!

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Pookum posted:

I broke the A key on a laptop by strafing too hard when someone scared the gently caress out of me haha. Laptop keyboards suck.

Scissor switches. I actually like how light they are, but they are certainly not well built

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

the ultimate peripheral is a ring i put on my index finger, and when i want to shoot someone in-game i point my finger at the screen and say 'pow' and a microphone picks it up and fires and i get a one deag.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Kwilty posted:

Samson make decent reasonably priced desk mics.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samson-Mete...keywords=SAMSON
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samson-SAME...keywords=SAMSON
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samson-SAGO...keywords=SAMSON

If you are willing to spill a bit more then people rave about the blue yeti

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Microp...words=blue+yeti

I personally don't rate clippon mics, they are usually cheap and break when you inevitably forget you have it on and rip it out standing up.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Ranter posted:

This is professional CS:GO https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3fzay7/rahim_here_looks_like_i_cant_stay_in_silence/

Stupid drama and gendered slurs. So professional.

i hate this extremely lf poster who once reported me for calling him a thin skinned fag

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun
I love when I can get my hands on a SG556 when I'm CT. 1sk headshots and incredible accuracy means it's a great corner holding gun.

I also am inclined to agree with the sentiment that the M4A1-S is better on T, while the AK is better on CT. More accurately, the M4 is better for a lurking player, while the AK is generally better in a straight up fight. When you're holding a non-obvious corner, like dark or fountain on B inferno, the M4 can get you a couple of kills before the opponents get full knowledge, but if you're holding the obvious corner, the AK headshot is so important.

RE: Keyboardchat: A great keyboard is less important than a great mouse, but still pretty handy. You don't need bells and whistles, you just need a reliable keyboard that you feel comfortable using. I love my orbweaver, but I didn't really notice a big jump from the $5 logitech keyboard I was using before, whereas I noticed a huge difference after getting my steelseries sensei.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

I feel like the best time to buy an sg 553 on T side if you're going to be the person shooting the head-shot box, like back plat on B dust_2 or by generator on B Cache

One tap head-shot, extremely accurate, 30 bullets, zoom, and a faster reset for just your tap (i believe) so it's great for that

e: speeling

Carol Pizzamom fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

http://oddshot.tv/shot/olofmeister-20150806232534821 Vac plz

• Locked thread