Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had to take care of ONE Avid station and that was enough to traumatize me, especially with the empty-headed way people managed their files. Also the tiny editing room was on the same HVAC loop as the server room and was colder than a well-digger's rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
ENPS, AVID, Edius 2.5, 3, 5, and 7, Premier, RCS, along with other poo poo my group supports. AVID and Editshare is a constant headache. Having to build a system, have a theory (theory? are you loving serious?) of how to build the system and network shares for the sharing of projects and all that is loving crazy. Edius versions being split right now as we upgrade people to the new version is causing all kinds of headaches, even after we've told content producers to NOT send packages created OR EDITED in 7 back to people with 5. We even made it easy by only doing certain departments and the little shits would do it anyway. Even after the mass emails, the personal talks, and multiple times I've told them that they've done hosed up again.

Don't get me started on RCS. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I had to take care of ONE Avid station and that was enough to traumatize me, especially with the empty-headed way people managed their files. Also the tiny editing room was on the same HVAC loop as the server room and was colder than a well-digger's rear end.

We had notices like this in every editing room:

quote:

IF YOU DIDN'T CHECK IN YOUR MEDIA IT DOESN'T EXIST!

WHEN YOU HAND IN THE P2 CARDS THEY WILL BE ERASED! DID YOU CHECK IN YOUR MEDIA?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Crowley posted:

First time I've ever heard of that. :v:

Honestly I don't know if anyone other than local/regional level news producers use it, I've never heard of it anywhere outside of local TV stations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Crowley posted:

We had notices like this in every editing room:

How many tickets did you get about people losing data?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Seems our last SBS 2003 server bit the dust today and won't power back on.

Really unsure how to feel about this. On the one hand "no more SBS 2003" is cause for rejoice, on the other hand now I have to work overnight to fix all the crap that was reliant on it.

Fair trade I guess.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Inspector_666 posted:

How many tickets did you get about people losing data?

You know the answer deep inside.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sheep posted:

Seems our last SBS 2003 server bit the dust today and won't power back on.

Really unsure how to feel about this. On the one hand "no more SBS 2003" is cause for rejoice, on the other hand now I have to work overnight to fix all the crap that was reliant on it.

Fair trade I guess.

:gonk: for still running SBS 2003, and an :eyepop: for having it in a critical place.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an email came in,

I received the following strange message on startup and im unsure what to do to resolve it. Please get back to me and let me know

Regards,

Clientname PhD

:eng99:

edit: got the actual picture out of our ticketing system

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 6, 2015

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
That seems reasonable?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

That seems reasonable?
Presumably there's a good chance that when someone calls them, or goes over to their desk to investigate, that error message will still be there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I mean, it's not "My battery is dying I need a new one", but it doesn't seem like a problem that the end user is equipped to fix.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Agrikk posted:

read this

Say thanks but no thanks and leave.

As an update, my boss didn't meet with me today when he was supposed to, there have been a lot of closed door meetings today, and from what I've gathered the time table for interviews has been moved up.

Thank you for this advice, I'm putting in my resignation and not listening to a counter offer. After thinking about it longer, I've been sugar coating my current job and bashing the new offer to convince myself it's worth staying. After taking emotions off the table, the new place looks like a really, really good opportunity and my current job will never have the money to keep up with my market value.

Plus the new place has a separate help desk division and I'll be acting as a tier 2 for them. One big reason for applying elsewhere is that I'm tired of answering incoming help desk calls, which is unavoidable at any level of an msp.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Thank you for this advice, I'm putting in my resignation and not listening to a counter offer. After thinking about it longer, I've been sugar coating my current job and bashing the new offer to convince myself it's worth staying. After taking emotions off the table, the new place looks like a really, really good opportunity and my current job will never have the money to keep up with my market value.

Classic Battered Wives Syndrome and I'm glad that you're making the break

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So I'm new at my :yotj: and it's work in a NOC. I understand I am someone who will ask questions to hold people accountable and apparently nobody does here, but what is this? Every time I send an email out I have my mentor review emails he says "it sounds cocky". In fact, in the last email I drafted to send to the people we support I said "Thank you for your previous action taken freeing up (amount) of storage on (server)". And he said that specifying the storage amount is cocky.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? Am I breaking some helpdesk taboo or is there some helpdesk 101 class I'm missing here? I'm trying to be polite and just keep getting poo poo on, it seems.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Plus the new place has a separate help desk division and I'll be acting as a tier 2 for them. One big reason for applying elsewhere is that I'm tired of answering incoming help desk calls, which is unavoidable at any level of an msp.

I manage to avoid it but my posting history will tell you that I work for a horribly badly managed organisation.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So I'm new at my :yotj: and it's work in a NOC. I understand I am someone who will ask questions to hold people accountable and apparently nobody does here, but what is this? Every time I send an email out I have my mentor review emails he says "it sounds cocky". In fact, in the last email I drafted to send to the people we support I said "Thank you for your previous action taken freeing up (amount) of storage on (server)". And he said that specifying the storage amount is cocky.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? Am I breaking some helpdesk taboo or is there some helpdesk 101 class I'm missing here? I'm trying to be polite and just keep getting poo poo on, it seems.

Your manager is a micromanaging motherfucker.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Climbing the well is paying big dividends, y'all. Guess who gets to interview potential webmasters?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

notwithoutmyanus posted:

And he said that specifying the storage amount is cocky.

Was the storage amount like 10 megs? Because that's kind of a dick move.

What I've learned is that as long as the details are recorded somewhere, there's no point bringing it back up in communication. Don't be a black box, but keep poo poo right to the point. Especially if it's internal communication cut the fluff and present cold facts and requests.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 6, 2015

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Your manager is a micromanaging motherfucker.

This is exactly how I felt. Glad it's not just me. They also care that "fix your poo poo" is explicitly worded as "please return (item) to a compliant state". Not even "please investigate storage and/or remedy your storage utilization".

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Was the storage amount like 10 megs? Because that's kind of a dick move.

What I've learned is that as long as the details are recorded somewhere, there's no point bringing it back up in communication. Don't be a black box, but keep poo poo right to the point. Especially if it's internal communication cut the fluff and present cold facts and requests.

Yeah, they basically did jack poo poo and didn't fix the problem, which is now still ongoing. That's what this email was a followup to.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
off to the appropriate thread i go...

Killer_B fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 6, 2015

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I hope that's your cover letter.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Another interview tonight, at another place. Broadcast media company's NYC office, home of a major hip-hop station, amongst other stations. As in a hip-hop star was shot at in front of it at least once.

It'll probably make for interesting stories for the next interview.

"Tell us about the most difficult issue you troubleshooted."
"Well, there was the time when we had a SAN array fail and there were some Bloods waiting to cap a busta outside our delivery entrance. I had to convince them I was down with the Wu-Tang straight out Shaolin and kick it east side with them while calling HP to find out where the hell my array backplane was. By leveraging a series of cross-functional experience across varieties of disciplines and Eastside thug G shiznit, we were able to bring the array back up with no end-user impact and source additional homies."

That aside, the manager mentioned he had a favorite XKCD comic (NO) and he himself used the phrase "it's not a cloud, it's someone else's computer."

Mixed feelings but he sounds easygoing and it's a big salary and title bump. Here's hoping.

Meanwhile, an offshore recruiter came in...

...for a full-time VMware position that they advertised in town X. They answered all my questions in terms of benefits, salary range, etc., and I figured I'd give it a shot. Turns out it was in town Y, which would basically be an hour's commute via trafficky highways.

Indian recruiters. Not even once.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Full time vmware? As in just do vmware? Sign me the gently caress up.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rhymenoserous posted:

Full time vmware? As in just do vmware? Sign me the gently caress up.

Bonus points, it was an Indian outsourced recruiter who was hiring for HCL, an Indian outsourced IT firm. These are the people who made waves a month or so back for the big Disney outsourcing controversy.

I have very little love for Disney and would have greatly enjoyed being part of the team that made people angry at the Mouse. Alas, it was literally uncommutable - for the locals, I'm in Union and would have to drive to Wayne, off of Hamburg Turnpike, in the morning hours. Up the Parkway (now with bonus lane-narrowing construction that slows you down past 280!) and out on 46, up 23. Then back in the evening!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you refuse to work with anyone who likes XKCD, you are cutting your opportunities quite a bit. It just means he's nerdy, goons overreact to that sort of thing.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you refuse to work with anyone who likes XKCD, you are cutting your opportunities quite a bit. It just means he's nerdy, goons overreact to that sort of thing.

If he likes it because of insightful stuff, cool. If he likes it because it's snarky douchebaggery, well...

I'm not refusing, I'm just hopeful he doesn't conform to the Stereotypical XKCD Fanboy archetype. I would like to work with/for a nerdy guy, if I could, so long as they're a decent co-worker/manager.

After all the times I've been burned I care more about someone I can work well with, not what they're into/not into. They don't have to be my friend, but I have to feel OK taking criticism from them and seeing them more/equivalent time out of the day than I see my wife.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I sometimes think the "Goons hate popular media beep boop" poo poo has gotten out of hand on these forums. I wouldn't care if my co-worker/boss was a brony as long as he wasn't jamming his pony love dolls in my face and kept the weird poo poo to himself. XKCD is so low on my list of "poo poo I don't care about" it barely registers.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

My manager doesn't like Rick and morty

I still work with the guy

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
the problem with xkcd in particular is that it really appeals to the kind of smug assholes who think they're better than everybody else so it's a red flag in that department

that said I couldn't really care about a co-worker liking xkcd as long as they didn't go all out over it

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm the only person I know that likes Steven Universe. I'm pretty much despised for my plebian interests.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Supervisor is sitting in my office. Law and Order SVU is on the television. He's currently hooting and hollering in support of the rapist during a rape scene. I don't know what the gently caress my life is anymore.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm the only person I know that likes Steven Universe. I'm pretty much despised for my plebian interests.

Not that you know me, but yeah, that's a great show.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

steven universe is tepid trash designed for adults who never emotionally and intellectually passed 12

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Segmentation Fault posted:

steven universe is tepid trash designed for adults who never emotionally and intellectually passed 12

Glad to know you're the expert on 12 year olds.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

larchesdanrew posted:

Supervisor is sitting in my office. Law and Order SVU is on the television. He's currently hooting and hollering in support of the rapist during a rape scene. I don't know what the gently caress my life is anymore.

That strikes me as the sort of thing that you should bring up to HR or something.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Glad to know you're the expert on 12 year olds.

I'm working on becoming a moderator

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, we had as close to a real life "someone tripped over the cable" situation this week.

Apparently there was a "loose cable in the rack we were working in" that "popped out when we bumped it". Never mind that the power plugs at the PDU are all positive click, and that the storage array that got unplugged has dual PSUs and wasn't alerting about non-redundant power.

But sure, I totally believe that you didn't unplug the wrong thing because Occam was a nutter.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

larchesdanrew posted:

Climbing the well is paying big dividends, y'all. Guess who gets to interview potential webmasters?

Wait, so you're running the interview? What the hell does your supervisor actually do other than get in the way of you doing your job? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Segmentation Fault posted:

the problem with xkcd in particular is that it really appeals to the kind of smug assholes who think they're better than everybody else so it's a red flag in that department

that said I couldn't really care about a co-worker liking xkcd as long as they didn't go all out over it
Seconded. The red flag, as far as I'm concerned, isn't the fact that he reads XKCD, it's the fact that he likes it enough to tell you about his favorite strip unprompted(?).

• Locked thread