Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Proposition Joe posted:

There really should not be a season seven, the series has run its course and lost half its cast. Just let everyone move on to other projects and watch other things.

Totally agreed. It became a Frankenstein version of itself like twice over and it's amazing it stayed as good as it did. Let's not rock the boat here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it's down to contracts expiring, what we've learnt is there wasn't enough turnover in cast members to keep the show going.

It went out on a good note, the last seasons did enough to quench the bad taste of the bad year (which had it's moments), and I'm glad they get to go out on their own call for a change.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

EL BROMANCE posted:

It went out on a good note, the last seasons did enough to quench the bad taste of the bad year (which had it's moments), and I'm glad they get to go out on their own call for a change.

I think this is the biggest takeaway: The cast finally feels like they got a good series finale and are now in the position of a network wanting them back instead of them drumming up fan support for renewal.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Should Community return?

Maybe

Probably

I don't know

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Ratjaculation posted:

I don't know

Third base!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

kayakyakr posted:

I think this is the biggest takeaway: The cast finally feels like they got a good series finale and are now in the position of a network wanting them back instead of them drumming up fan support for renewal.

The cast that mostly abandoned the show over the last three years?

I get why Joel McHale wants Community to stick around--he's 43 and not handsome enough to be a movie star--but everybody else is probably just glad that its finally over.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

The cast that mostly abandoned the show over the last three years?

I get why Joel McHale wants Community to stick around--he's 43 and not handsome enough to be a movie star--but everybody else is probably just glad that its finally over.

I honestly don't see any of these actors getting big movie/TV series careers. Maybe Alison Brie will do OK, but I think everyone else will just kind of fizzle out or get small roles in stuff.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

I get why Joel McHale wants Community to stick around--he's 43 and not handsome enough to be a movie star.

You take that back!!!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Jim Rash and Ken Jeong will still be in things. At least Rash also has some writing cred. Brie can make the jump to movies. Jacob will have roles on TV for a while I imagine. Sadly Danny Pudi is the only guy I don't see having a regular gig somewhere else.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Snacksmaniac posted:

You take that back!!!

McHale playing a stay at home dad married to Jessica Alba in Spy Kids 5 was easily the most unbelievable part of a film about kids who fought time traveling robots.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Irish Joe posted:

McHale playing a stay at home dad married to Jessica Alba in Spy Kids 5 was easily the most unbelievable part of a film about kids who fought time traveling robots.

They made 5 of those? Are you counting the machete movies at least?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Joel McHale is gonna be in the new X-Files v:shobon:v

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Ratjaculation posted:

Should Community return?

Maybe

Probably

I don't know

I think the TV show's burnt out now, but a movie could be cool, maybe it would be better in a couple years time, but I worry more about being able to get the actors then.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Joel McHale has also been hosting The Soup for years and does a ton of stand-up. I think he's doing alright.

Also, why are you still posting Irish Joe? Community has ended. Shouldn't you have been set free like the Genie in Aladdin?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

El Tortuga posted:

Also, why are you still posting Irish Joe? Community has ended. Shouldn't you have been set free like the Genie in Aladdin?

I was thinking more 'sucked back into the evil lamp like Jafar'.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I'm pretty sure McHale is handsome enough for films, I mean c'mon guy.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Well, if the cast doesn't feel they can get anything more out of the show then im glad they're moving on. At least its going out on a high(er) note.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
If you want to hear Dan Harmon talk about Joseph Campbell and religion and therapy for two hours, he was on the latest episode of You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
If anyone wants to hear a half-wit drunk ramble on about religion for two hours, Dan was on the latest episode of You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes.

edit: drat it, beaten :argh:

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009
Doesn't Gillian Jacobs have a recurring part on Girls?

This is sort of the level I imagine most of the cast at for the next few years. None of them will ever be A-list but they're talented/attractive enough to get the odd supporting role in bad movies like Alison Brie or recurring roles like Joel's X-Files stint or Gillian's Girls role. So we'll probably see them pop up now and again, but never in a major role. Maybe one of them will get another permanent sitcom role or something. Then in a decade or two they'll reach the point that they're not physically attractive anymore and that'll be that.

As above I suspect Danny Pudi will be the one we'll see least of. There, sadly, just aren't many roles for half-Indian, half-Polish actors.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

What a lovely, warm analysis of this good-spirited, well-cast show. Made me tear up a little bit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really don't think Allison Brie has much to worry about in the long term. 110 episode of Community, 38 episodes of Mad Men, and ongoing main character in BoJack Horseman will likely pay the bills for a long time to come.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Lipset and Rock On posted:

Doesn't Gillian Jacobs have a recurring part on Girls?

This is sort of the level I imagine most of the cast at for the next few years. None of them will ever be A-list but they're talented/attractive enough to get the odd supporting role in bad movies like Alison Brie or recurring roles like Joel's X-Files stint or Gillian's Girls role. So we'll probably see them pop up now and again, but never in a major role. Maybe one of them will get another permanent sitcom role or something. Then in a decade or two they'll reach the point that they're not physically attractive anymore and that'll be that.

As above I suspect Danny Pudi will be the one we'll see least of. There, sadly, just aren't many roles for half-Indian, half-Polish actors.

That's not exactly a daring prognosis to make. Becoming an A-list actor is like hitting the lottery, which is why the idea that the actors/actresses would be relieved to not "have" to do the show anymore is absurd.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

bull3964 posted:

I really don't think Allison Brie has much to worry about in the long term. 110 episode of Community, 38 episodes of Mad Men, and ongoing main character in BoJack Horseman will likely pay the bills for a long time to come.

She has a Trainwreck style rom com with Jason Sudeikis and lots of other people coming out soon too.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

ashpanash posted:

Umm, it was just mentioned 3 posts ago: WHAS just got released and loving nailed it. It's totally possible to do this sort of thing right.

As long as you ignore Joe LoTruglio's greying stubble and a visibly pregnant Michael Showalter, this is true.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

KVeezy3 posted:

That's not exactly a daring prognosis to make. Becoming an A-list actor is like hitting the lottery, which is why the idea that the actors/actresses would be relieved to not "have" to do the show anymore is absurd.

Good point. I'm sure a cast of 30 year-olds have no career aspirations beyond being in an internet television show with fewer viewers than a video of a cat falling asleep.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I saw a movie on Cinemax that had Joel Mchale playing a cop who fights demons or something..it was weird.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

a cop posted:

I saw a movie on Cinemax that had Joel Mchale playing a cop who fights demons or something..it was weird.

Joel is a working actor in Hollywood, he pops up in poo poo all the time, same with most of the rest of the cast. Most people in hollywood work this way, it's not a bad career, at least it doesn't seem that way since they all seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Brie and Jacobs have "made it". Jacobs might never hit the mega-star lead roles, but she's going to be in a good number of movies of all different quality levels. Brie is probably going to have supporting roles in even more mainstream movies.

Plus, both of them, Brie especially, are plugged into the indie scene. She's picked up a lot of art house type films.

Crazy to think that Brie's 32, same age as Jacobs. Pudi is 36, married, with 2 kids.

Pudi's got a fallback career of youtube comedy and nerd cameos.

Jeong's leading role will bomb, but he'll be back in a key supporting role not too long after.

McHale is set hosting the Soup. Community and the Soup are probably his peak. He's not a good enough actor to do too much more.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

McHale is set hosting the Soup. Community and the Soup are probably his peak. He's not a good enough actor to do too much more.

He's a terrible actor and comedian, but he gets roles and does stand up, it doesn't matter apparently. He's probably the most "successful" of the bunch right now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jacobs and (especially) Brie both would have been better off if the show had been cancelled two or three years ago, but as others have said, they'll be fine. McHale has had some pretty big exposure hosting events like the White House Correspondents Dinner and the Espy's, so he certainly has a high profile; he's just probably too old and has too limited a range (essentially just being snarky) to really break through beyond where he is now unless he gets a late night gig somewhere. I'm a little surprised Donald Glover hasn't shown up in more things since leaving the show, but I guess he'd rather be a rapper? Jeong seems like a nice guy, but imo he brings down pretty much everything he's in, so I wouldn't be too sad if he just went away.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Good point. I'm sure a cast of 30 year-olds have no career aspirations beyond being in an internet television show with fewer viewers than a video of a cat falling asleep.

Good point, being smug about youtube viral clip views vs TV Nielsen Ratings is an absolutely logical comparison.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

KVeezy3 posted:

Good point, being smug about youtube viral clip views vs TV Nielsen Ratings is an absolutely logical comparison.

Do not engage Irish Joe.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

kitties

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

DoctorWhat posted:

Do not engage Irish Joe.

I read that as "enrage" at first and was about to say you might as well just close down the whole drat forums then.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Jacobs and (especially) Brie both would have been better off if the show had been cancelled two or three years ago, but as others have said, they'll be fine. McHale has had some pretty big exposure hosting events like the White House Correspondents Dinner and the Espy's, so he certainly has a high profile; he's just probably too old and has too limited a range (essentially just being snarky) to really break through beyond where he is now unless he gets a late night gig somewhere. I'm a little surprised Donald Glover hasn't shown up in more things since leaving the show, but I guess he'd rather be a rapper? Jeong seems like a nice guy, but imo he brings down pretty much everything he's in, so I wouldn't be too sad if he just went away.

I think Donald Glover says he's done with the Childish Gambino thing, so you might be seeing him in more acting roles soon.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

El Tortuga posted:

I read that as "enrage" at first and was about to say you might as well just close down the whole drat forums then.

Enraging Irish Joe gives you pretty good odds that you've done something right tbh.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Ken Jeong is a doctor in real life so I'm certain he'll be just fine without any roles in Hollywood.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Beeez posted:

I think Donald Glover says he's done with the Childish Gambino thing, so you might be seeing him in more acting roles soon.

He was in Magic XXL and is going to be in the Martian movie. I don't know how big his roles are in them, but those are huge movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KVeezy3 posted:

He was in Magic XXL and is going to be in the Martian movie. I don't know how big his roles are in them, but those are huge movies.

From what I understand, not huge roles, but definitely huge movies.

• Locked thread