Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm sure this would be pretty cool, but he's already a star in a popular TV show himself so... I'm not sure stories about hanging out with 90s TV stars are going to get him any more pussy

I love him as much as anybody, but this seems a little generous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The guy who plays the generic human looking alien really looks loving strange. Did they put heavy make up on him or does he just look that bizarre? I mean I assume it was makeup but it would be nice to think they just found a really strange looking person perfect for the role

Tala
Jun 17, 2002

Hey, catch me later, I'll buy you a beer.

Jose posted:

The guy who plays the generic human looking alien really looks loving strange. Did they put heavy make up on him or does he just look that bizarre? I mean I assume it was makeup but it would be nice to think they just found a really strange looking person perfect for the role

Do you mean Brian Thompson?. No, he just looks like that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jose posted:

See also: the weird looking gardener guy from the stigmata child episode.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That psychic head-drilling guy has made a career out of having eyes that wobble back and forth.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Tala posted:

Do you mean Brian Thompson?. No, he just looks like that.

"Listen Brian we cast you for your incredible acting talent and also because you look pretty much like a full-blown cave man like more so than trivago man no offense bro."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Brian Thompson even looks scary when intimidating New Yorkers and squealing in glee.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Brian Thompson is also one of the thugs with Bill Paxton who get hosed up by Arnie at the beginning of Terminator.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

And the Brujah leader on "Kindred: The Embraced" oh god why do I know that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Brian Thompson kicks all kinds of rear end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAwyFZ0k8Gs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I just started season 7. What do people mean by X-cops? Its just Mulder solving odd crimes in his witness protection type place?

Not asking for a spoiler but I'm undecided as to whether I want Krycek to get away with it or get shot in the face

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jose posted:

I just started season 7. What do people mean by X-cops? Its just Mulder solving odd crimes in his witness protection type place?

Not asking for a spoiler but I'm undecided as to whether I want Krycek to get away with it or get shot in the face

X-Cops is the most unique single episode of the X-Files. It's not what you always wanted, but it's what you always needed.

Go against the thesis of the show and trust me. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I thought it was goons describing the whole season for some reason,

I like that despite scully regularly getting jealous when mulder knows a woman they've not really tried to force a romance between them so far

I also like all of the actors i've seen in a bunch of stuff when they were young. Mark Pellegrino being the most recent one

Jose fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 29, 2015

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Jose posted:

I also like all of the actors i've seen in a bunch of stuff when they were young. Mark Pellegrino being the most recent one

Whoa, I never realized that was Mark Pellegrino in that episode. Well, I'm going to have to watch "Hungry" again. The X-Files is a great show to watch if you want to become really good at playing six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Exploder posted:

Whoa, I never realized that was Mark Pellegrino in that episode. Well, I'm going to have to watch "Hungry" again. The X-Files is a great show to watch if you want to become really good at playing six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

He was the bully?! And I say this as someone who very recently watched the episode alongside a re-watch of Lost. I'm terrible at making connections apparently.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
In Australia we got this delightful bit of branding.

Apparently it would play X-file sounds.

There's some pretty amusing merch out there - like salt and pepper shakers shaped like TVs.

I'm having a bit of a chocolate box rewatch of random episodes (did my major binge a few years ago)...so some random notes.
It's interesting how the first two seasons have quite a few of the supporting cast from Battlestar Galactica show up - guess the Vancouver casting scene remained pretty steady between 1993 and 2004.

It's amusing looking at how technology is reacted to in the show, at one point a identikit is slowly received on a fax as a point of suspense - also the early use of online chatrooms for romance turned deadly.

The Season 7 finale is amusing with the auditor pointing out how the internet is making their job irrelevant.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

WebDog posted:

It's interesting how the first two seasons have quite a few of the supporting cast from Battlestar Galactica show up - guess the Vancouver casting scene remained pretty steady between 1993 and 2004.

I remember finding it funny how the main villain in the second movie was the guy who played Leoben in BSG.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The super speed epiode is one of the very few i've seen before

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jose posted:

I thought it was goons describing the whole season for some reason,

I like that despite scully regularly getting jealous when mulder knows a woman they've not really tried to force a romance between them so far

Mark A. Sheppard is another one. If you want to see Mark Pellegrino take a look at No Holds Barred.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I think the main appeal for me was spending too much time reading crap like this.

And then on comes a show that has Kirlian photography in it's opening credits and all sorts of mad theories played straight.

One amusing thing re-watching episodes is that most of the ones I saw back in the 90's were on a tiny black and white TV from the 70's that barely showed any of the image and only served to make the series spookier given how dark everything was shot so your brain fills in the rest - helped by the above books.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I am watching the show for the first time. This man with a cigarette does not look trustworthy

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Smoking Crow posted:

I am watching the show for the first time. This man with a cigarette does not look trustworthy

Nah, he's a perfectly nice fellow.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He really can't help sounding solicitous and good-natured. Even when he's doing evil poo poo, he stays pretty polite--maybe he's a little too Canadian to represent the American military-industrial complex.

Of course, you have about 15 more episodes before he says anything, I'm pretty sure.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Just finished a full rewatch, after almost a decade. I have to say, one of my favorite moments is still in season 8, when Mulder delivers the news to Scully that he will be her sperm donor. I'm not sure there's another pair of characters that could pull off such a touching moment but also crack a masturbation joke in the same scene and have it work perfectly. :3:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If I recall correctly, at the time it aired that episode drove people nuts. First, because Duchovny was doing a limited number of episodes in season 8, so him appearing entirely on flashback annoyed people. Second, because there were shippers, and Scully getting pregnant through that instead of the old fashioned way was a big deal, for some reason.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

joepinetree posted:

If I recall correctly, at the time it aired that episode drove people nuts. First, because Duchovny was doing a limited number of episodes in season 8, so him appearing entirely on flashback annoyed people. Second, because there were shippers, and Scully getting pregnant through that instead of the old fashioned way was a big deal, for some reason.

Doesn't she have no eggs?

I'm watching through this with my boyfriend; it's his first time seeing it. We'll start season seven soon, do you goons think I should subject him to 8 or 9?

Watching it with a fresh perspective has been interesting, to say the least. His favorite episodes so far include "The List" and "The Unnatural."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I haven't seen a late season episode since they aired so I honestly forgot completely that Scully got pregnant through IVF, I thought for some reason she was sterile then came back pregnant after an alien abduction.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

This show is so pre-911

Mulder would be on so many terrorist watch lists now

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I'd forgotten how genuinely hosed up Home was. The drat thing opens up on a POV of a baby being buried and barely lets up. Scully's hypothesis of "this could only happen if someone's ovum was weakened" just adds more layers to the mess.

Clyde Bruckman's final repose remains as still one of the best examples of comedy and pathos on screen.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

quote:

Annabeth Gish ‏@annabethgish 4h4 hours ago

Back to #xfiles we go! #monicareyes https://instagram.com/p/6Q5-S8hXgr/

:3:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm whatever on Reyes, but hopefully this means Robert Patrick is back too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

joepinetree posted:

Which was silly since they were already loving before season 8 so really it should have been nbd, shippers already got their fix mang.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

WebDog posted:

I'd forgotten how genuinely hosed up Home was. The drat thing opens up on a POV of a baby being buried and barely lets up. Scully's hypothesis of "this could only happen if someone's ovum was weakened" just adds more layers to the mess.

Clyde Bruckman's final repose remains as still one of the best examples of comedy and pathos on screen.

Home is one of the few xfiles episodes I remember, and it makes my skin crawl every time I think of it.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
The shift in the tone of the show post 9/11 was huge looking back on it. The Lone Gunmen dying to save a number of people conspicuously close to the death toll of it, taking out CSM with a cruise missile while he's holed up and hiding in the desert, etc. The last season really reflected the sense of uncertainty and dread that permeated culture back then.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm whatever on Reyes, but hopefully this means Robert Patrick is back too.

He's stated outright that he has no intention of reprising the role, sadly.

E: would source links but am phone posting. It's p. easy to look up, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

joepinetree posted:

Which is crazy as it was revealed that she could not get pregnant and it was using the Ova that they found in season 4.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Old Boot posted:

He's stated outright that he has no intention of reprising the role, sadly.

E: would source links but am phone posting. It's p. easy to look up, though.

Which is unfortunate, because I really enjoyed Doggett, but disliked Reyes. Oh well, can't blame the guy for wanting to do new things rather than going back.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Emerson Cod posted:

The shift in the tone of the show post 9/11 was huge looking back on it. The Lone Gunmen dying to save a number of people conspicuously close to the death toll of it, taking out CSM with a cruise missile while he's holed up and hiding in the desert, etc. The last season really reflected the sense of uncertainty and dread that permeated culture back then.

Didn't The Lone Gunman show do an episode that was basically 9/11 before 9/11?

Man I need to rewatch dat poo poo.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Same flight number even. The source of most of the truther conspiracies out there, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Emerson Cod posted:

I remember at the time there was some review on the end of the show about how The X-Files was such a product of the Clinton era and its view on government, the conspiracies it generated, etc., it already seemed anachronistic in the new Bush era (at least those early years).

• Locked thread