Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Natsunokumo isn't really a power fantasy, though. Rather, it seems to mostly be an examination of how mmos affect people (with the occasional fight scene). The vr aspect just makes it more immersive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
world customize creator probably counts

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jose posted:

world customize creator probably counts

This is also pretty good so far.

The guy trapped in the game is prophesied to "destroy the world". Of course he's horrified by the idea, but as it turns out the fantasy world is really racist/discriminating against various groups and could maybe use a good destroying.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Natsunokumo isn't really a power fantasy, though. Rather, it seems to mostly be an examination of how mmos affect people (with the occasional fight scene). The vr aspect just makes it more immersive.

Yeah, Natsu no Kumo is also legitimately Really Good, instead of just fun like The Gamer.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
I finished reading through the spider reincarnation story and that was really good! I like it even more then the slime reincarnation story. Her travels as a weak lvl1 spider through a huge dungeon are really great to read, and you get a lot of insight into the life of a simple dungeon monster. Also she's not as overpowered as the slime is so she really has to work extremely hard for her levels, adding some real conflict.

So, uh, any more novels where i can get my monster POV fix? :)

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Captain_duck posted:

Hm, well, its a bit more graphic than the ones you've been reading but Overlord fits the bill fairly well.

Basic synopsis: Dude logs into his favorite game on the last day of its operation and decides to wait until the servers go offline. When the shutdown time counts down to zero he finds that not only has he not logged off but he's actually in his character and all his NPC companions have come to life. He decides to do the rational thing and take over the world he finds himself in.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 5, 2015

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

FriggenJ posted:

Hm, well, its a bit more graphic than the ones you've been reading but Overlord fits the bill fairly well.

Basic synopsis: Dude logs into his favorite game on the last day of its operation and decides to wait until the servers go offline. When the shutdown time counts down to zero he finds that not only has he not logged off but he's actually in his character and all his NPC companions have come to life. He decides to do the rational thing and take over the world he finds himself in.

Overlord is what got me into this whole mess hah, guess i should have mentioned that.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Captain_duck posted:

None that are translated. The only others I can think of have stalled out translations or very questionable content.

You could read The Lazy King which is pretty much one of the best things to come out of the reincarnation genre in ages, but only 4 chapters are translated and the translator hasn't committed to the series yet. It's a story of demons and how they gain power from embodying one of the 7 deadly sins.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The reincarnation aspect in lazy king is almost completely irrelevant so far.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Serious Frolicking posted:

The reincarnation aspect in lazy king is almost completely irrelevant so far.

I think that's why I like it so much to be honest.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Remember that The Gamer thing? Well, it just updated.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

That was cute. I'm glad to see that she is doing well. :kimchi:

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, shame she's not a very useful character for the comic anymore. Unless it somehow morphs into a slice of life highschool comedy.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
~hijinks

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I like how all the Abyss world people are weirdo libertarians who can't figure out the concept of "wanting to help somebody just because we're friends".

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

I like how all the Abyss world people are weirdo libertarians who can't figure out the concept of "wanting to help somebody just because we're friends".

It's funny cause you'd think they would be the type to make a bunch of friends which means more allies and options.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, it's like somehow having superpowers and no longer having normal rules apply to you makes you into a sociopath.

Honestly I'm pretty sure it would make a lot of people into sociopaths.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I imagine that you would develop some trust issues if you've spent most of your life being hunted by people who want to carve you up for magic ingredients.

Jee-Han's lucky that he's unusually powerful and has strong friends, but for most people in the Abyss survival depends on exploiting those who are weaker than you for whatever scraps of power you can steal.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

Well, Jeehan is apparently also a bit of a weirdo libertarian with that bizarre "it's okay for some people to cheat" speech. I sort of get what he was saying (in that you can't expect people with advantages to not take advantage of them), but the conclusion you're supposed to come to is "so we should help out those without advantages" instead of "and that's just how it is."

Still a nice chapter, I like that the girl apparently has more personality than she had shown before (probably because she was always sick).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm actually surprised he went with "because we're friends" after all that musing he did earlier about how he was kind of being a busy body but he didn't want to just waste his powers when he could help.

But I guess you can't expect a guy to give a fully thought out response when he's on a date.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Oh right, it's only been 3 months since he even got his power. Yeah he's ridiculously loving OP.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? is about a girl reborn as a spider, with a bunch of game jargon. The translation isn't great, but it's readable.

All the other decent monster PoV LNs I can think of are all dropped after only a few chapters of translation.

It also has a MC who consistently shows she thinks things through while fighting, unlike 99% of LN protagonists who power through everything by sheer power.

Oh, and she also has an adorable inner voice while she is slaughtering people.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Sung-Ah's so cute :3:. I liked Jee-Han's little Takeo moment after she imitated her cat. Looking forward to date #2 with our favorite redhead.

Fabricated posted:

Oh right, it's only been 3 months since he even got his power. Yeah he's ridiculously loving OP.

Well, with all the time altering dungeons/id fields he's probably got some extra days that he's not counting... but yeah, when he's got such varied abilities and he's picking up things in days that normally take years, definitely OP as hell. I'm pretty sure he can already take his best friend in a fight, and his friend has been training in the Abyss his entire life with an elite martial arts clan.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jee-Han needs to go hang out with the MC from Overlord.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Jee-Han needs to go hang out with the MC from Overlord.

That's going to be a real Goku vs. Superman style "What if they fought" scenario after Jee-Han gets a bit more powerful.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

NowonSA posted:

That's going to be a real Goku vs. Superman style "What if they fought" scenario after Jee-Han gets a bit more powerful.

Is Jee-Han resistant to Instant Death :v:

This is exactly like the "Can goku avoid eye beams through the pupil into the brain?"

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
He probably has or will have some special gear for those kinds of shenanigans.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Annointed posted:

This is exactly like the "Can goku avoid eye beams through the pupil into the brain?"

Depends on what happens when he dies. If he obeys MMO rules and respawns, he might be able to grind up resistances to instant death.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Annointed posted:

Yeah, I think our favorite Skeleton is going to be Superman in this scenario, but it should eventually be a decent fight. I'd say Jee-Han is halfway there now, and considering who he's trying to catch up with that's quite a bit of power.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Slime posted:

Depends on what happens when he dies. If he obeys MMO rules and respawns, he might be able to grind up resistances to instant death.

"What are you doing?"

"Dying"

"Why?"

"I've got to level my death resistance"

"Uh........"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
When Jee-Han dies, he will wake up with a new skill: Dying.

All it does is kill him.

But he grinds it anyway.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It'd be kinda broken if he could literally respawn or ghostwalk back to his body, but it'd be fun just for the tearful death scene where he and his friends really think that it's it for him, then he realizes he can respawn after he dies and has to deal with the awkwardness of it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Fabricated posted:

It'd be kinda broken if he could literally respawn or ghostwalk back to his body, but it'd be fun just for the tearful death scene where he and his friends really think that it's it for him, then he realizes he can respawn after he dies and has to deal with the awkwardness of it.

I mean, if that isn't a season finale at some point then the author of this webtoon is doing something wrong.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

NowonSA posted:

I mean, if that isn't a season finale at some point then the author of this webtoon is doing something wrong.

It'll be incredible. Everybody will be all "IT'S A MIRACLE OH JEE HAN" in the background. Jee-Han will glance at his menu and see he's been docked like 50% of his XP to the next level and has some weird 24-hour "you better not die again, or else" debuff, and start punching a wall.

Aren't Asian MMOs kind of notorious for like harsh stackable penalties for dying?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really, really hope he doesn't end up with the ability to respawn. It would completely destroy any tension that could possibly exist for the entire rest of the series.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I really, really hope he doesn't end up with the ability to respawn. It would completely destroy any tension that could possibly exist for the entire rest of the series.

I don't know what you've been reading, but there is no bigger tension or stakes than Jee-Han finding out he's lost a few overall levels and skill levels upon death. I don't even want to think about the terrifying possibility of a permanent -10% to stats across the board :vince:.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Arkeus posted:

It also has a MC who consistently shows she thinks things through while fighting, unlike 99% of LN protagonists who power through everything by sheer power.

Oh, and she also has an adorable inner voice while she is slaughtering people.

Although it feels like she's hit an inflection point in her growth rate recently, she was seriously pulling together scraps at the start of thing. I'd definitely like to see this one get a manga adaptation--a series where the character is a straight-up giant spider without any human characters in sight for the vast majority of the story would be interesting to see.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Not really. It just means that instead of the sweet release of death he can be doomed to be eternally harvested for organs.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Although it feels like she's hit an inflection point in her growth rate recently, she was seriously pulling together scraps at the start of thing. I'd definitely like to see this one get a manga adaptation--a series where the character is a straight-up giant spider without any human characters in sight for the vast majority of the story would be interesting to see.

Honestly if I met a Giant Spider that was more tarantula and didn't want to hurt me I'd be the biggest lover of spiders there could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Han Jee-Han needed someone to tell him where to put CC? C'mon, now. Bronze tier scrub. :smug: