Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rogue Lemon posted:

Argh. I've never had this much trouble with W2 Exdeath before. I've got Monk, Red Mage, Geomancer, and Dancer. Party level is 29, gromancer has doublecast. My most consistent source of Damage is the RM bonking him on the head with a Light Staff. Anyone got a better idea than grinding for staffs to break in his face?

Not with that garbage-rear end lineup, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Look on the bright side, Geo makes killing metamorph fairly quick and easy. :v:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
lol Rapidfire Sleep Spellblade against Atomos

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
The RNG was unusually kind! Exdeath spent most of his turns doing normal attacks and dispelling double cast protects. Only took 9 tries... Team garbage-rear end rides on.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Rogue Lemon posted:

The RNG was unusually kind! Exdeath spent most of his turns doing normal attacks and dispelling double cast protects. Only took 9 tries... Team garbage-rear end rides on.

Look on the bright side! In world 3 you get access to...

um...

hmm.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rogue Lemon posted:

On the plus, you'll be able to coast through W3 and the rift with little to no issue; Chicken Dancing is pretty much your only source of damage with that team, but goddamn if it doesn't deliver.

Half of the time.

Or less, if you don't have a Rainbow Dress. (Get a Rainbow Dress as soon as you can for your dancer and anyone in your team you intend to put Equip Ribbons on)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Edward_Tohr posted:

Look on the bright side! In world 3 you get access to...

um...

hmm.

Rainbow Dresses and the Chicken Knife. :v:

E: I don't even get to look forward to those with my current team, which is the same thing but with Samurai. :shepicide:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kyrosiris posted:

E: I don't even get to look forward to those with my current team, which is the same thing but with Samurai. :shepicide:

Equip: katana and gil toss makes up for the rest of the teams terrible attack though. I mean, I actually ran with a katana wielding monk for my first go, and it wasn't awful.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
FFV Four Job Fiesta 2015: At Least It's Not Dragoon

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Rogue Lemon posted:

Argh. I've never had this much trouble with W2 Exdeath before. I've got Monk, Red Mage, Geomancer, and Dancer. Party level is 29, gromancer has doublecast. My most consistent source of Damage is the RM bonking him on the head with a Light Staff. Anyone got a better idea than grinding for staffs to break in his face?

Sword dance is compatible with punching. Dance Monk and Brawl Dancer can do work.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

the nuki and zeninage are more than enough to get you through though

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

My current team is Black Mage/White Mage/Ranger/Mystic Knight. So far, I've been breezing through the game, but now I've hit a major roadblock, and I need some help from this thread.

I just can't decide which Krile sprite is cuter. Black Mage or White Mage?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
White Mage Krile is one of the best sprites in the entire game. The trouble with your situation is that Galuf is the best Black Mage, tho, with that magnificent beard popping out of the void between his hat and robes.

IMO: Black Butz, Ranger Lenna, Mystic Faris, White Krile.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
White Krile, Black Faris, Mystic Lenna, Ranger Bartz

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

the nuki and zeninage are more than enough to get you through though

Yeah, but I gotta farm all that gil and ugh

I'll get through it but gently caress me am I not enthused for it

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
My last regular run has so far gotten me Monk and Berserker.

The only way this could be worse is if I get Geomancer for fire and Dancer for earth.

It's also identical to my first run this year so far, though since that was Berserker Risk I had Monk/Zerk/Zerk which is impossible this time.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Dancer owns. :colbert:

Actually all of the Earth Crystal Jobs are good and cool, but I guess Dragoon is my least favorite.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dancer is great but...

Actually yeah never mind I'd rather have Dancer than Dragoon. Dancer can deal some serious damage with CK Sword Dance, Dragoon gets basically nothing.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Dancer is great but...

Actually yeah never mind I'd rather have Dancer than Dragoon. Dancer can deal some serious damage with CK Sword Dance, Dragoon gets basically nothing.

Dragoon doesn't need anything. Back Row+Jump+Aegis Shield +Heavy Armor. It's pretty self sufficient. Sure it has nothing to give, but hey, make whoever masters monk a Dragoon for a buncha HP and the ability to jump over anything super dangerous.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Dancer is great but...

dragoon's a good chassis for other abilities if you end up getting a class with good abilities. it's pretty much unkillable if you build it right. dancer otoh is good at one thing and it only does that one thing one in four rounds until world 3

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

dragoon's a good chassis for other abilities if you end up getting a class with good abilities. it's pretty much unkillable if you build it right. dancer otoh is good at one thing and it only does that one thing one in four rounds until world 3

Unless you had Thief, of course.

For world 2, I'd honestly sacrifice the Ribbon to use a Tiara.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Welp, I did my first run, but didn't manage Shinryu or Omega. Blue Mage, Red Mage, Samurai, Bard.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

GreenMetalSun posted:

Welp, I did my first run, but didn't manage Shinryu or Omega. Blue Mage, Red Mage, Samurai, Bard.

Omega is probably not happening just cause you don't have any good way to hurt him, but you've got a good team for Shinryu.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Finally got my Aeroga. Took too long to get that A Rage to give me White Wind.

Said :fuckoff: to Exdeath and Lv2 Olded and spammed Lv5 Death until it stuck.

Now just need to get my Meteo on and Bio-cheese Omega. So maybe tomorrow I can stick a fork in it and debate making a fourth run.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Omega is probably not happening just cause you don't have any good way to hurt him, but you've got a good team for Shinryu.

Yeah, that proved to be the real kick in the balls. I'm hoping to squeeze another run in though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm considering another run, myself. Given my 26-hour clear time, I could probably blitz through the game again in the rest of this month, considering I won't have the distractions of the Steam Summer Sale and whatnot to deal with.

I will miss my !Blue toolkit, though. I know I had a really good party this time around, but blue magic was seriously carrying me a lot of the time, I would not have been able to clear some fights without it. Or rather, would not have been able to clear some fights at full health. White Wind is OP.

I think it's also the first time I've ever collected the entire Blue Magic set for this game, and only the third time in the franchise (I filled out an Enemy Skill materia in 7 and Quistis' Limit Break list in 8).

Come to think of it, a Job Class-based run of FF7 would be interesting.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

GreenMetalSun posted:

You could give Coral Swords to the Red and Blue Mage and damage Omega with them. It'll take quite a while, but it's a guaranteed victory as long as you keep him locked down with Romeo's Ballad.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Samuel Clemens posted:

You could give Coral Swords to the Red and Blue Mage and damage Omega with them. It'll take quite a while, but it's a guaranteed victory as long as you keep him locked down with Romeo's Ballad.

It's doable, but as someone who once killed Songlocked Omega with only a limp-wristed Coral Sword Blue Mage for offense, I can warn you that it'll take forever.

I think Red Mage is the one with higher Strength, so that'd be a better option while Blue helps with Songlocking, but it's still tedious.

Beats waiting out a Quickleak though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think that Romeo locking is one of the things that doesn't work anymore on mobile? I could be wrong.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

I think that Romeo locking is one of the things that doesn't work anymore on mobile? I could be wrong.
I should hope not, as otherwise the fight would be an extremely finicky damage race. I'm not saying you couldn't do it (I recall using brute force years ago back when I was clueless about the game mechanics and in particular the existence of counters), but all of his counterattacks will hit like a truck and at least one (Encircle) can't be repaired after the fact. And if Omega is finicky to fight, then Omega Mk. II is far crazier in that respect. Trying to kill the latter was what informed me in the first place about his vulnerability to Stop, since brute force simply wasn't working even with omni-Freelancers at level 60+.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

You're probably thinking of the other Stop method, Calmlocking, given that !Calm now works as it was intended to (i.e. working on Magic Beasts but not on non-beasts such as Omega, instead of the other way around).

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
From what I remember reading, romeo locking is just more time sensitive and finicky.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah you really have to get the timing right on Romeo's Ballad, if you do it too fast it "overlaps" and he'll get a turn or two.

So I cheated a bit and looked at my earth job even though I'm at the Library of Ancients. Looks like my final part is Monk/Berserker/Ranger/Samurai. Honestly not bad at all, though I have no way of doing either of the superbosses. Still, Berserker can get Equip Bows and Monk will probably be a second Gil Tosser, and Rapid Fire CK is always sweet. And hey, I'll even get some full party healing from Animals for a while.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Another quick question, does Gilgabot send you a message when your victory gets processed?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

GreenMetalSun posted:

Another quick question, does Gilgabot send you a message when your victory gets processed?

No, just when it's logged for processing and even then it's spotty.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Nasgate posted:

From what I remember reading, romeo locking is just more time sensitive and finicky.

Yeah, it's definitely doable, but it's so hard I gave up. I'm pretty sure it's not possible to get the timing perfect to just let it run, even with three hasted and max speed singers, so you just have to stare at him hard with your finger over the Sing button and mash it as soon as he changes color to indicate he's un-stopped. It's basically a reflex test, 200 times in a row. If you have a good team like Ranger and Mystic Knight to go with your Bard so you don't have to hit him so many times, I think it's definitely doable. Even if it takes a long time, it's not impossible, but it is the opposite of fun.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

OzFactor posted:

Yeah, it's definitely doable, but it's so hard I gave up. I'm pretty sure it's not possible to get the timing perfect to just let it run, even with three hasted and max speed singers, so you just have to stare at him hard with your finger over the Sing button and mash it as soon as he changes color to indicate he's un-stopped. It's basically a reflex test, 200 times in a row. If you have a good team like Ranger and Mystic Knight to go with your Bard so you don't have to hit him so many times, I think it's definitely doable. Even if it takes a long time, it's not impossible, but it is the opposite of fun.
I got MK Ranger normally and then specifically job faired myself a Bard (and Blue Mage cuz why not while I'm at it) to get that elusive Mobile version Omega kill. Will keep you guys updated when I get there.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
So, i've just got my fire crystal jobs. So far i have whm, rdm, and bard. How do i make this poo poo work to the earth crystal?

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Captainsalami posted:

So, i've just got my fire crystal jobs. So far i have whm, rdm, and bard. How do i make this poo poo work to the earth crystal?

Lots of broken rods, from the look of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Captainsalami posted:

You've at least got good survivability.

Sandworm: level 2 elemental spells from people, maybe swords from Red Mages
Cray Claw: Thundara or broken thunder rods
Adamantoise: Blizzara or broken ice rods
Sol Cannon: Probably just straight up broken thunder rods
Archeoavis: This will be a slog but with white magic it shouldn't be a dangerous one. Ancient Sword on one Red Mage and probably a Mage Masher (?) on the other, everybody else loads you up with Safe and just heals a lot. Broken rods on the first couple forms will probably outdamage physical attacks but you just have to be conscious about what he absorbs (iirc it's nothing, then ice, then fire, then lightning, then nothing again after he revives).

• Locked thread