Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

dialhforhero posted:

This outline can also be applied to the Star Wars thread with regards to the prequel trilogy.

At least I could follow the plot of the prequels. I had no idea what was going on in Five Armies or who half the characters were.

Bilbo: "Look, Thorin, here comes the bat army!"
Thorin: "Don't worry, a bunch of goat-riding dwarves are coming to fend off the wolves brought by the orc that died in the first movie but is back in this movie for some reason."
Bilbo: "And here comes a bunch of elves who are related to the girl elf and maybe Legolas."
Thorin: "Look, here comes Gandalf and... nobody. Shame he couldn't ask the two elf gods he was just with to help diffuse this situation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trump posted:

This is a retarded defense of that clip.

It's a pretty dumb attack to begin with.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Irish Joe posted:

At least I could follow the plot of the prequels. I had no idea what was going on in Five Armies or who half the characters were.

Thorin: "Don't worry, a bunch of goat-riding dwarves are coming to fend off the wolves brought by the orc that died in the first movie but is back in this movie for some reason."
Bilbo: "And here comes a bunch of elves who are related to the girl elf and maybe Legolas."
Thorin: "Look, here comes Gandalf and... nobody. Shame he couldn't ask the two elf gods he was just with to help diffuse this situation."

It is a fool's errand to try to make total logical sense of a fantasy film.

"Why didn't they just fly to mount doom on the eagles?"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Irish Joe posted:

The movie is that scene in Anchorman where things escalate (quickly), all due to Thorin's stubbornness/"dragon sickness".

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I had no idea who anyone in the big fight in Anchorman was. What a lovely plot, I couldn't follow it at all

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I was more invested in the Anchorman fight than in the entire Battle of Five Armies

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ALFbrot posted:

I was more invested in the Anchorman fight than in the entire Battle of Five Armies

It's a well-constructed scene filled with big-name actors. Characters we cared about in a fight to the death. Gripping action and suspense.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

sassassin posted:

It's a well-constructed scene filled with big-name actors. Characters we cared about in a fight to the death. Gripping action and suspense.

I just wish it had CG Billy Connolly in it.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

sassassin posted:

I don't think the films do assume anyone cares about the other dwarves. They get completely overshadowed in screen-time during the third movie by pretty much every character with a name. They're props for Thorin, and he doesn't always need them.

I think they do assume that at the beginning of the trilogy. Thorin's obviously set up as the most important but I think the mood set was more "let's watch all of these guys go on a grand adventure" instead of "let's watch Thorin go on a grand adventure, and maybe you'll notice the other dudes in the background." By the end of the trilogy, though, I would agree that the movie stops pretending that the rank-and-file dwarves are any more important than the soldiers Billy Connolly brings with him.

Irish Joe posted:

Same basic thing happened at the end of RotK. I also don't like that movie much, so

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Hbomberguy posted:

B/C of the Nazgul Air Cavalry. Also I think the Eye can shoot lasers.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

porfiria posted:

B/C of the Nazgul Air Cavalry. Also I think the Eye can shoot lasers.

Also the Ring might have corrupted the Eagles.

Also riding the Eagles to Mordor was actually Gandalf's plan all along, he just wanted to keep it a secret as long as possible. When the Balrog took him out, he tried to tell the rest of the Fellowship about it ("Fly, you fools!"), but nobody figured it out.

Also

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hbomberguy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwxA9O-q2o8

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hbomberguy posted:

...Have you really never read the books?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Don't need the books to know the answer to that question. As was mentioned, Sauron had an air force. You see them in the movies and everything. They're pretty scary, and can sort-of smell the Ring.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

Don't need the books to know the answer to that question. As was mentioned, Sauron had an air force. You see them in the movies and everything. They're pretty scary, and can sort-of smell the Ring.

And archers exist, also Sauron is a giant eyeball tower that can see a giant flock of birds coming.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
But in the movies the Eagles destroy everything that dare oppose them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Renoistic posted:

But in the movies the Eagles destroy everything that dare oppose them.

They only ever swoop in when everyone's busy and tired from fighting. They're America during WW2.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Sluts.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I employed scarequotes for a reason.

Asking for the most tactically-realistic approach in a fantasy film misses the whole point of fantasy. That there may or may not be a canonical reason for that to work (some people theorise that was what Gandalf actually intended) is beside the point.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And yet one of the big reasons people like Tolkien is how plausible and realistic his depictions of things like battles are. The more work you put into making everything internally consistent, the more glaringly a single flaw stands out.

But you need that internal consistency to make this kind of story engaging. Too many flaws or too much implausibility or confusion in a presentation and one's suspension of disbelief does a Tacoma Narrows

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

But that landscape felt real, man. It felt like a real place. With Hobbits.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's just a story being written by a magical creature under the influence of a magical ring, who wasn't even there for most of it. You should really just relax.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I think you can't really go anywhere with the story of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings without addressing that they were and are incredibly popular. Talk about plot holes, and even criticisms like "what the hell is tom bombadil doing here?" have to contend with the fact that none of them can reasonably be said to have blunted the popularity of the books at all, over a period of decades.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Data Graham posted:

And yet one of the big reasons people like Tolkien is how plausible and realistic his depictions of things like battles are.

I doubt it since a lot of his LOTR battles are literally two paragraphs in length.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

I think you can't really go anywhere with the story of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings without addressing that they were and are incredibly popular. Talk about plot holes, and even criticisms like "what the hell is tom bombadil doing here?" have to contend with the fact that none of them can reasonably be said to have blunted the popularity of the books at all, over a period of decades.

Its a pretty good example of how certain things work really well in a long-form novel, but just don't work in a 2 hour film, or even an 8 hour long trilogy. When you're reading LOTR, you can sit down and read all about the hobbits adventure with Tom Bombadil, say "well, that was a fun chapter. Kinda bizzare though", and put the book down for the day. Stuff like that works in a novel's favor, it adds charm and depth to the world Tolkien created.

Screenwriting is a whole different beast though, and you have to write a story that moves along at enough of a pace that people can experience the whole thing in one sitting. In most cases if an aspect of the plot is irrelevant to the overarching story, it needs to be removed in the interest of maintaining the rhythm of the film.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

computer parts posted:

I doubt it since a lot of his LOTR battles are literally two paragraphs in length.

Consisting of the noble rally in the face of almost certain doom, then the hero essientially spins in a circle or runs forward, mowing down countless enemies and routing them utterly.

It's dope, and the movies capture it well. It's definitely internally consistent, because it's genre-setting fantasy, but not even remotely plausible or realistic. and I would know, I've slain many a troll with my magic blade irl!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I slay trolls every day, on forums.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

The extended version of Five Armies just got rated R.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
For Retarded.

:rimshot:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So the film adaptation of Tolkien's work that is ostensibly intended for the most mature audience is the one based on the final twenty pages of The Hobbit.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Hobbit 3 was already the closest to old style Peter Jackson his films have been in years, it just didn't go far enough with the dumb stuff. I hope the extended cut adds that missing Dead Alive quality that the final battle needed.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
CGI Billy Connolly wielding a lawnmower strapped to his chest would bring me back on board

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Hey Hbomberguy and sassassin, does Billy Connolly being CGI have a connotation in regards to the movie? Or is that just about the limit where we can disregard content of a film and just see it as a far-removed element?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I never read The Hobbit, so when he first appeared I assumed he was going to transform into a huge monster or something in the near future. But then a few minutes later they just have close ups of him talking or whatever, so awkward. I really didn't like the CG for him at all. It actually looked pretty good in general but the minute he was talking it was terrible.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Was Billy Conolly ending up being CGI anything to do with the cancer scare he had do you think?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Kikka posted:

Hey Hbomberguy and sassassin, does Billy Connolly being CGI have a connotation in regards to the movie? Or is that just about the limit where we can disregard content of a film and just see it as a far-removed element?

It's all about the muddied morals of the Hobbit compared to LoTR - in LoTR, all the 'good guy' armies are all humans and actors, fighting against CG monstrosities. The ghost army and the ringwraiths (on foot, at least) threaten to cross this boundary but only to pose the threat that the main characters might lose their way.

In the Battle of Five Armies, Dain arriving on his pig with his faceless cgi army may as well be Azog arriving on his wolf at the end of An Unexpected Journey. He hardly gets a heroes' welcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ8jUpx8Hho

Thorin is specifically unhappy to see him - because he assumes he'll want a share of the gold, and Thorin's quest is ultimately one of greed and his enemies are whoever stands in his way.

For comparison, here's Azog on his wolf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PQ8JjU9kKg

(e: also phwoar that throne imagery of thorin rising from the tree, with the rest of the companions clinging to the branches below as the whole thing threatens to slide into an abyss.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kikka posted:

Rescue via cg personage is a recurrent theme of PJ's films (with rescues by physical actors frequently being stopped/impeded by physical obstacles by contrast), but I haven't put much thought into it tbh.

I can't remember the sequence of events, but he turns up somewhere around the point where Thorin's madness is at its peak and cg worms are destroying all solid earth, right?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Was Billy Conolly ending up being CGI anything to do with the cancer scare he had do you think?

To the same extent that Stephen Fry was written out because he tried to off himself in a hotel room during filming, I'd expect.

Perverted old oval office.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Peter Jackson jumped through all sorts of hoops to get Christopher Lee to work as Saruman, despite him barely being able to run out a sentence towards the end of his life. If he'd wanted a more lifelike Billy Connolly he could definitely have had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Takes time to set up something like that, and also I'm sure he relished the challenge.

• Locked thread