Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Jedit posted:

On which note, does anyone know of a good software BD player that isn't deliberately obsoleted every year?

I use Mac Bluray Player but it has serious problems with regards to playing menus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Jedit posted:

On which note, does anyone know of a good software BD player that isn't deliberately obsoleted every year?

If you're using AnyDVD HD you can mostly avoid the obsolete every year problem with BD software. Software BD players all still suck though, so you're not gaining a lot. I'm still using my free copy of PowerDVD 10 without any issues aside from it being powerdvd.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

fralbjabar posted:

If you're using AnyDVD HD you can mostly avoid the obsolete every year problem with BD software. Software BD players all still suck though, so you're not gaining a lot. I'm still using my free copy of PowerDVD 10 without any issues aside from it being powerdvd.

Short of needing region free playback or the ability to rip files, there's no reason to go with a BD drive over a standalone BD player. It's a massive pain in the rear end and there's a million things that can go wrong with it compared to a $30 shitbox.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Call Me Charlie posted:

Short of needing region free playback or the ability to rip files, there's no reason to go with a BD drive over a standalone BD player. It's a massive pain in the rear end and there's a million things that can go wrong with it compared to a $30 shitbox.

There is one reason, and that's that I don't always have access to my home cinema rig when I want to watch a movie.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
My two favorite movies of 2014 are on sale for $8.99 at Amazon right now.
Nightcrawler
The Guest

Also a 3-film Hitchcock set (Rebecca/Notorious/Spellbound) for $14.96

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The Wire: The Complete Series - $79.99

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Space_Butler posted:

I'm loving rebuying low-end movies on blu-ray since the dvd's for these films usually look like garbage even upscaled. The difference on even a halfway decent HD transfer of these movies is a staggering difference compared to a lot of movies that get re-released on blu-ray.
I'm always delighted whenever a Troma movie hits Blu-Ray because my memories are tied to cut-up, hideous looking basic cable viewings in 1992.

Toxic Avenger II and III now actually look like real honest to goodness films.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

re: crappy movie blu rays, when i first got a blu ray player i ordered a bunch of Full Moon stuff.

Subspecies blu ray is the worst blu ray i've ever seen. like, sub-DVD quality with all this weird video artifacting and poo poo.

Castle Freak blu ray, however, looks loving great and preserves all the neat little specks and pops of a lightly worn film print.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

caligulamprey posted:

I'm always delighted whenever a Troma movie hits Blu-Ray because my memories are tied to cut-up, hideous looking basic cable viewings in 1992.

Toxic Avenger II and III now actually look like real honest to goodness films.

Hear hear.

Not that I don't love the gorgeous 70 mm restorations of epics (god do I), but there's a special joy in seeing a reasonable BD in the correct aspect ratio of something that previously was relegated to a crap pan-n-scan no-effort DVD. Matilda on BD is the first watchable presentation of that film since it was in theaters, and I'm seriously super loving excited for The Land Before Time on BD this October.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
So that Bram Stoker's Dracula reissue from Sony is actually pretty exciting. Brand new 4k master, and the launch of a new "Supreme Cinema" series from Sony. Not that Sony's releases weren't already stellar, but maybe we'll get another solid chunk of releases if they're naming a new series around it. We definitely got some winners when they started the "Mastered in 4k" series. Details at blu-ray.com

A limited edition UK release from BFI of 3 Otto Preminger noirs is set for September 28, including Fallen Angel, Whirlpool, and Where The Sidewalk Ends. All BFI Blu-rays seem to be "limited edition" these days - not numbered like Twilight Time, but it's basically a first press for Blu-ray and then DVD-only forever after.

And hell of a price on the Blomkamp^3 collection (District 9, Elysium, & Chappie) - $19.99

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Is there a good list of currently available region-free players? Getting a bit sick of certain movies not being available in the US, so I figure I'll go ahead and get a region-free box.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I recommended this place earlier if you're looking for nice region free players:

http://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players.html

This is the player I own that I bought from 220 Electronics:

http://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players/sony-bdp-s5200-blu-ray-dvd-player-wifi-and-3d.html

I wanted 3D playback, so I bought that one, but there are other options if you don't care about 3D. It's awesome and plays literally everything I've ever put in it. Going region free was the best choice I made.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
It's a good thing the Dracula reissue is a new transfer because the existing blu-ray is a big piece of poo poo for such a cool looking movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

RichterIX posted:

It's a good thing the Dracula reissue is a new transfer because the existing blu-ray is a big piece of poo poo for such a cool looking movie.

It's such a shame that Bram Stoker's Dracula is such a lovely movie because there are all kinds of things that are awesome about it, but none of that saves the movie from Keanu Reeves or the fact that it's just generally a real slog.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

It's such a shame that Bram Stoker's Dracula is such a lovely movie because there are all kinds of things that are awesome about it, but none of that saves the movie from Keanu Reeves or the fact that it's just generally a real slog.

Keanu aside, it's actually better than Apocalypse Now. and hell, even Keanu's performance is bad in a fun way.

pumped about the new transfer. it was one of the first movies i wanted to buy on blu ray but i heard the only release was poo poo so i held off.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Keanu aside, it's actually better than Apocalypse Now.

That's an interesting claim.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Looks like Skynyrd's playing Free Bird again.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 6, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

That's an interesting claim.

i'll admit that not liking Apocalypse Now is one of my more contentious opinions, but Bram Stoker's Dracula is an incredible movie. i don't understand being bored with it, every scene - hell, almost every other shot - there's some new batshit insane thing happening. i'd like to see it find a new audience with the Hausu crowd.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CPL593H posted:

I think the part with the werewolf doing the maid or whatever was where the person I was watching it with turned off the TV, and just said, "I hate this.".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'll admit that not liking Apocalypse Now is one of my more contentious opinions, but Bram Stoker's Dracula is an incredible movie. i don't understand being bored with it, every scene - hell, almost every other shot - there's some new batshit insane thing happening. i'd like to see it find a new audience with the Hausu crowd.

I'm with you, Bram Stoker's Dracula(I usually call it Coppola's Dracula) is one of my favorite all-time films. Keanu's performance really isn't as bad as people make it out to be, and even if you hate him the Harker character isn't even in it that much after the first 30 minutes.

Its a monster movie that has everything. Its a horde of rats, a werewolf, a gigantic bat, a suave Anne Rice style vampire, an old decrepit animalistic vampire, neon green mist, and a living shadow. Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins are worth the price of admission on their own, and every scene is absolutely beautiful to look at.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Anthony Hopkins makes any problems in the movie irelevant.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Why would anyone compare Dracula to Apocalypse Now in the first place? What a weird loving comparison.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TheJoker138 posted:

Why would anyone compare Dracula to Apocalypse Now in the first place? What a weird loving comparison.

Same director.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Same director.

Sure, but like...I don't know man, they're such different films. Even if you get beyond the genre, even the way in which they were made is so different that I find it hard to find any comparison between them. The insane, living in the jungle, obsessing over Apocalypse Now Coppola is probably not very similar at all to the older, not crazy Dracula Coppola.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Sure, but like...I don't know man, they're such different films. Even if you get beyond the genre, even the way in which they were made is so different that I find it hard to find any comparison between them. The insane, living in the jungle, obsessing over Apocalypse Now Coppola is probably not very similar at all to the older, not crazy Dracula Coppola.

Same director.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Same director.

Instead of addressing anything this person said, I will just say the same thing the person he was responding to said. Check and mate :smug:

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

...yeah, but same director. That's all that needs to be said. People compare movies by the same director all the time for reasons that should be evident. It doesn't matter if they're different.

Things are a lot easier to compare than you think. When people say "oh, but they're so different," it drives me nuts. They're both movies.

The worst was I asked someone if they preferred Mission Impossible 4 to Mission Impossible 5, and they said "oh, they're so different, it's hard to compare." Really!? You can't compare two Mission Impossible movies!?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Basebf555 posted:

Its a monster movie that has everything. Its a horde of rats, a werewolf, a gigantic bat, a suave Anne Rice style vampire, an old decrepit animalistic vampire, neon green mist, and a living shadow. Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins are worth the price of admission on their own, and every scene is absolutely beautiful to look at.

I think Wynona was just as bad, if not worse, than Keanu but combined they seem to neutralize each other in an otherwise perfect movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DetoxP posted:

...yeah, but same director. That's all that needs to be said. People compare movies by the same director all the time for reasons that should be evident. It doesn't matter if they're different.

Things are a lot easier to compare than you think. When people say "oh, but they're so different," it drives me nuts. They're both movies.

The worst was I asked someone if they preferred Mission Impossible 4 to Mission Impossible 5, and they said "oh, they're so different, it's hard to compare." Really!? You can't compare two Mission Impossible movies!?
To be fair it is difficult to compare some movies because they're stylistically/thematically very different, even if they're from the same series. Like the Alien movies, for example.

Even the "same director" card only goes so far, in my opinion. 'Alien', 'Matchstick Men', and 'Gladiator' are all Ridley Scott movies, but they're so different from each other that they might as well have been directed by different people.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair it is difficult to compare some movies because they're stylistically/thematically very different, even if they're from the same series. Like the Alien movies, for example.

Even the "same director" card only goes so far, in my opinion. 'Alien', 'Matchstick Men', and 'Gladiator' are all Ridley Scott movies, but they're so different from each other that they might as well have been directed by different people.

Yeah, this is my argument with Dracula and Apocalypse Now. It's apples and oranges, even if they're grown by the same...fruit farmer? Orchard man?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, this is my argument with Dracula and Apocalypse Now. It's apples and oranges, even if they're grown by the same...fruit farmer? Orchard man?

Actually he's a grape man.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Serpico and The Wiz had the same director and I don't see anyone trying to claim those are two peas in a pod.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Time Dissolver posted:

Serpico and The Wiz had the same director and I don't see anyone trying to claim those are two peas in a pod.

Ditto for Zardoz and Point Break.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Ditto for Zardoz and Point Break.

Zardoz was John Boorman, Point Break was Kathryn Bigelow.

edit: i realize now that you probably meant Point Blank

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Only the great directors can put their personal stamp on films while still making each one feel unique. Mediocre directors either fade into the background of a film, or they go too far with their own unique "style" that every one of their projects ends up feeling the same.

There is absolutely a certain feel to a Ridley Scott film, or a David Lean or Kurosawa film, or John Ford, or Kubrick or Spielberg or Tarantino or Paul Thomas Anderson. The trick seems to be in striking that balance so that things don't start to feel repetitive(James Wan is my current go-to example of that)

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I'm not saying these films are peas in a pod, I just think y'all lack imagination if you can't compare them. :colbert: Part of comparing is pointing out differences!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

hell i'll compare After Hours to The Aviator. i'm wild like that.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

fuckin'..... Xanadu and Wal-Mart: the High Cost of Low Price

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Only the great directors can put their personal stamp on films while still making each one feel unique. Mediocre directors either fade into the background of a film, or they go too far with their own unique "style" that every one of their projects ends up feeling the same.

There is absolutely a certain feel to a Ridley Scott film, or a David Lean or Kurosawa film, or John Ford, or Kubrick or Spielberg or Tarantino or Paul Thomas Anderson. The trick seems to be in striking that balance so that things don't start to feel repetitive(James Wan is my current go-to example of that)

Roger Corman is always Roger Corman. You always know a Coleman Francis, or an Ed Wood.

Also Bert Gordon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Rush (Ron Howard film) - $4.99

• Locked thread