Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Far Cry 4 is surprisingly good but for a guy with a giant private army Pagan Min never really sends more than like 6 soldiers after you.

The only big satisfying gun battles are during botched outpost clears when they hit the alarm it seems like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Magic Duels Origins takes way too long. Playing against the computer should be a way to play a quick game, you'd think, but all the animations taking forever and there's no way to turn them off. Plus, the game pauses after each thing you do to give your opponent an opportunity to react, but it still does that even when you're playing against the computer, which is completely unnecessary. I've played a couple of times, but after one game I'm just so fed up with how slow it is that I can't be bothered playing again.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
SNES era RPG Secret of Mana has all battles in the overworld if I am understanding what you're looking for. It's a great game for many other reasons too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tiggum posted:

Magic Duels Origins takes way too long.

Hey, at least you can play. Every time I try starting the game I get the splash screen/logo and then a fatal error. I'm surprised there are no options to speed up gameplay, however, as they seemed to be good with that sort of thing in the previous paid titles.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Tiggum posted:

Magic Duels Origins takes way too long. Playing against the computer should be a way to play a quick game, you'd think, but all the animations taking forever and there's no way to turn them off. Plus, the game pauses after each thing you do to give your opponent an opportunity to react, but it still does that even when you're playing against the computer, which is completely unnecessary. I've played a couple of times, but after one game I'm just so fed up with how slow it is that I can't be bothered playing again.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hey, at least you can play. Every time I try starting the game I get the splash screen/logo and then a fatal error. I'm surprised there are no options to speed up gameplay, however, as they seemed to be good with that sort of thing in the previous paid titles.

Still better than MTGO.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PubicMice posted:

Still better than MTGO.

Hahaha I've heard plenty of bad things about MTGO, like main events crashing and basically ruining tournaments.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

kazil posted:

You can capture the castle in the area to prevent the enemy from attacking your outposts but you are correct, it is an incredibly dumb mechanic.

Thanks for the heads up, I've only done 4 or 5 campaign missions. I've found its much more fun to just clear outposts and hunt rhinos with bazookas from atop an elephant. I guess I haven't unlocked fortresses yet.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Zaphod42 posted:

And second are there any RPGs that do the dual-hero attacks like in chrono trigger? Where two people can wait and then take a turn together to kick tons of rear end?
There was an Inuyasha RPG for the... PS2 I think where that was a mechanic, pretty much everyone had combo attacks with everyone else. It was a pretty fun game, all things considered.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

And second are there any RPGs that do the dual-hero attacks like in chrono trigger? Where two people can wait and then take a turn together to kick tons of rear end?

Septerra Core, AKA Western PC Final Fantasy 7, has this. The magic system allows you to combine spell cards, but each of them needs to be used by a separate person, so you can cast Fire with one character or you can wait until two of them have a turn charged up and do Summon+Fire or Fire+All.

The game is currently less than a dollar on steam if you want to check it out, but you need to do some insane poo poo to get it running properly on modern computers.

EDIT: On the off chance that anyone does decide to pick up the game, the two main bugs you'll find are cinematics not playing, for which the solution is installing the version of QuickTime that you can find in the game folder and then disabling DirectX hardware acceleration from its preferences, and voice lines getting cut off early, which you can apparently fix by replacing the game EXE with the one from the GOG version. So... yeah, that's what you're dealing with here.

HMS Boromir has a new favorite as of 10:57 on Aug 7, 2015

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I played Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris with a bunch of friends yesterday, as it's a four-player game.

gently caress, that game is insane to play, there is so much poo poo happening on the screen at once that it's impossible to figure out what's going on, and instead the best course of action is shootallthethings.

The loot system also sucks. The first game was cool - do challenges, get fixed rewards that you can equip that provide bonuses and detriments. Better bombs for weaker guns, or something. Everyone got them for challenges. This game adds treasure chests all over the map, of varying qualities - copper, silver, and gold (maybe there's, like, a wood one or something). You need to collect gems to open them. Once one person has opened them, they can't be re-opened. The rewards are random, and they only go to the person that opened them.

It feels so weak, some lovely watered-down loot system rather than a reward system that the previous game had. The random aspect to it really sucks, too. Made one person in our group feel kind of crummy, since the rest of us hoovered up all the gems, got the rewards from doing so, and could get the best/most chests, while she just got scraps. That's not what a co-op game should be like.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

All of the Suikodens are like this.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Seems like most RPGs are based on Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior and I'd rather see more like Chrono Trigger. (Not even talking about CT's story here, just mechanics)

I believe Legend of Legaia/Legaia 2 did this with "Dual Arts" which was pretty neat. You have to input specific combos on the turn based battle screen to get them to work, but they hit like a truck

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
GTA: Online fills me with more rage than any self-respecting adult should feel toward a video game. I keep jumping back into it to see if maybe it's gotten better, or if maybe it won't be so bad this time around, but every time it takes me less than an hour to before I want to put my fist through the TV.

The entire game is a perfect storm of lovely design decisions and an even shittier playerbase. Absolutely everyone treats the game like Call of Duty deathmatch which means if you just want to run around and do poo poo you either have to put up with being stalked and killed every two blocks for the hundred bucks you might have on you or play in the safe mode that takes away your guns and quarantines you from everyone, which removes the point of playing online in the first place. And when a player does kill another player you always respawn within' a few hundred feet of them so they can stalk you all over again forcing you to switch sessions to escape. Also, who's bright idea was it to show every player on the loving map making it impossible to avoid the assholes? And no one bothers to work together or coordinate on missions, so every job you join ends up with every player loving off on their own and you just have to hope you all end up at the same place at the end and complete the mission.

Then there's the absolutely ridiculous load times and lobby waiting that results in you staring at the screen doing nothing for two thirds of the time you spend playing. And on top of that just to get the game to run R* has to dumb down the map so horrendously that it's like playing San Andreas again with all the beautiful details of the storymode nixed in favor of online play. So you get less than half the traffic and peds, no animals, almost no clutter to give the streets some personality, and even the visual graphics are slightly turned down a notch making for ugly textures and pop-in.

The missions are a clusterfuck with no feel of progression or urgency because you end up just teleporting around the map randomly doing random poo poo for no rhyme or reason and the only inkling of a plot ends after the first 30 minutes. After you leave Lamar you're essentially dropped on your rear end and given no direction, or even a reason to pick a direction. And good luck doing any job that isnt R* official because every single goddamn player designed mission is a scam designed for the host to make tons of RP and money by trapping players into a death arena while they have a tank or arsenal of guns just out of your reach to slaughter you with.

And don't even get me started on the absolutely loving insane economy. It takes hours of play just to save up enough money to buy ammo, much less a nice car or property. If you're not the kind of person who has entire days to devote to playing you'll never have enough money to do much of anything and you will never be able to catch up to the obviously unemployed dipshits that run amok around the map doing their best to ruin your fun.

R* has no clue how to balance an mmo and control a playerbase and it drags down what could've been an awesome online experience.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Thanks for the RPG suggestions guys, guess I should check those out.

death .cab for qt posted:

I believe Legend of Legaia/Legaia 2 did this with "Dual Arts" which was pretty neat. You have to input specific combos on the turn based battle screen to get them to work, but they hit like a truck

Yeah I played a good bit of Legaia 2 and I really liked their combo system for attacks and stuff. Super original. Would like to see more RPGs with stuff like this instead of just select -> attack over and over.

Final Fantasy XIII decided to go in the opposite direction (autoattack, autoattack, autoattack...)

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

@gta v online its much better if you become part of the problem. i follow anyone breathing into their mic and I honk the horn at them while passive until they stop

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

starkebn posted:

SNES era RPG Secret of Mana has all battles in the overworld if I am understanding what you're looking for. It's a great game for many other reasons too.

That's an action RPG, I think he meant a straight RPG. I guess if it counts, most CRPGs (Fallout 1+2, Planescape: Torment, Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age) don't have separate screens for combat either.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm one of those murderous psychopaths (only once triggered, like if someone kills me first) so GTA:O is a helluva lot of fun.

A buddy and I camped a guy for like 45 minutes after he blew my friends head off for the insult of driving out of a car shop. He went passive after like 20 minutes so I just teabagged him with a helicopter for a while. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Lufia II kind of went in that direction. It had a separate battle screen of the simplest kind and random encounters on the world map, but in dungeons you could see enemies walking around and avoid them. You even got some items to interact with them (like an arrow that'd stun them so you could sneak past) and there were a few puzzles that revolved around luring them onto switches and such.

Does Suikoden count?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Inco posted:

That's an action RPG, I think he meant a straight RPG. I guess if it counts, most CRPGs (Fallout 1+2, Planescape: Torment, Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age) don't have separate screens for combat either.

I can't recall any western RPG that has random encounters of the top of my head. Well the old Fallouts sort of do but that's not really the main part of the game, it's a bit more of a railroading mechanic.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Seconding Neverwinter Nights 2 having lovely performance. It's one of the only things that made my core temps reach 67C (which is borderline too hot for my processor). The dice game on The Witcher does it as well.

PubicMice posted:

Anyway, I keep starting JRPGs, and then dropping them because the absolute worst convention of the genre is random encounters with no way to avoid them. Earthbound, Pokemon, and Bravely Default are the only ones I've seen that acknowledge how loving tedious it can be to try and get back to a town only to stop every five seconds and hit 'Run'.

Rainbow Moon lets you cancel random encounters entirely. It even tells you which enemies you've encountered so you can avoid the battles you don't want. You will have to fight to progress obviously as that's the game but you will never be stopped from backtracking to a save point or healer. Sadly, the game has other flaws which I've already complained about in this thread.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Death Zebra posted:

Seconding Neverwinter Nights 2 having lovely performance. It's one of the only things that made my core temps reach 67C (which is borderline too hot for my processor). The dice game on The Witcher does it as well.

I remember NWN2 having pretty good cloth simulation and stuff for its time, I bet they're doing that entirely in software which is cooking your CPU, since GPU methods for that weren't widely used yet. Probably entirely single-core too.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

im pooping! posted:

@gta v online its much better if you become part of the problem. i follow anyone breathing into their mic and I honk the horn at them while passive until they stop

Once you hit level 50? I think the game opens up with Buzzard access and by that time you'll have somebody riding passenger. Even passive mode is super risky to be in around two/more players in a Buzzard. They're stuck walking everywhere lest an insured car get exploded by some guy with every last cent spent on cars, guns, and ammo.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The thing dragging GTAV down for me is that it's a 2 year-old game that's been rereleased on two different console generations and they still refuse to put the PC version on sale. Even during the summer sale on Steam they sold it at full price and just bundled in some "free" digital funbux for multiplayer as an incentive.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mega Man 3 is my favorite Mega Man game if only because the title music is the most badass and chill track to ever grace the NES's sound chip, but god drat it it is difficult. I can beat the first 8 robot masters with no issue (well, almost no issue: gently caress Needle Man, I still don't know how to reliably dodge his attacks). But then you beat them and you're all stoked to go and kill Wily, but noooooooooo. This game gives you extra value by forcing you to kill the robot masters from Mega Man 2 all over again, except without any of their sprites or animations.

Again, this would be a net positive, except that the game doesn't tell you which RM is in which modified stage, there are 2 per level, and god drat it I there's a couple of Air Man attack patterns that I can't figure out how to dodge to save my life. gently caress Air Man, gently caress Needle Man, I'm going to go have a drink.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sleeveless posted:

The thing dragging GTAV down for me is that it's a 2 year-old game that's been rereleased on two different console generations and they still refuse to put the PC version on sale. Even during the summer sale on Steam they sold it at full price and just bundled in some "free" digital funbux for multiplayer as an incentive.

They added in digital funbucks which count as DLC so the game cannot be refunded.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Testekill posted:

They added in digital funbucks which count as DLC so the game cannot be refunded.

That's hilarious dickish, especially when you consider that GTA V has sold like 50 million copies and the company still wants more money.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Alteisen posted:

That's hilarious dickish, especially when you consider that GTA V has sold like 50 million copies and the company still wants more money.

The gently caress? ALL COMPANIES IN ALL EXISTENCE WANT MORE MONEY! It's kind of why they exist in the first place. Plus GTAV on PC is less than 6 months old, so why would it have a major price drop at this point? Had the PC version been released at the same time as the next gen versions, then yeah it would definitely be lovely since Rockstar products constantly drop in price for various sales both on console and PC, but it takes at least a year for this to happen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Morglon posted:

I can't recall any western RPG that has random encounters of the top of my head. Well the old Fallouts sort of do but that's not really the main part of the game, it's a bit more of a railroading mechanic.

Dragon Age: Origins had them, although it's been so long since I played that game that I don't remember the specific details of the system.

Bethesda's RPGs do random encounters for an open world game pretty right, although it's quite a different system to JRPG random encounter systems.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

The gently caress? ALL COMPANIES IN ALL EXISTENCE WANT MORE MONEY! It's kind of why they exist in the first place. Plus.
"its extremely illegal to say corporate greed is mildly inconvenient to you in the Say Things Are Bad thread on a comedy internet forum" - cool guy 2k15

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Dragon Age: Origins had them, although it's been so long since I played that game that I don't remember the specific details of the system.

Bethesda's RPGs do random encounters for an open world game pretty right, although it's quite a different system to JRPG random encounter systems.

Dragon Age only did "random" encounters when you activated a certain part of a quest, then traveled beyond either your camp or whatever map you were on, only to get stopped by something.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

"its extremely illegal to say corporate greed is mildly inconvenient to you in the Say Things Are Bad thread on a comedy internet forum" - cool guy 2k15

common loving sense has nothing to do with how lovely game mechanics are to a player.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alteisen posted:

You don't have a good grasp on how capitalism works.

I only bought GTA5 once and that was for the PC so I had no issue paying full price. People buying it every iteration should maybe hire a financial planner.

No a game specifically but something that bums me out:
As far as I can tell, there are no games that let you build vehicles from scrap or attach bits and bobs to a school bus and drive over monsters. I know the Mad Max game is coming out but it might be poo poo. APB orgininally said there would be themed variants of the districts where you could earn special or cosmetic items. One such theme was a PvE district that was everyone vs. a city of zombies. You could earn bloodied and rusted scrap armor and weapons.
Never happened and the game is practically dead.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I found the storyline in Bioshock Infinite to be somewhat confusing.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah, that was really skeevy, and guaranteed that I'm definitely not going to get the game until it goes down to $20 or something. I haven't really liked any of Rockstar's stuff since San Andreas, so I'm wary about spending any large chunk of cash on it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

I found the storyline in Bioshock Infinite to be somewhat confusing.

:can:

I liked the game for the most part but it got pretty out of hand toward the end.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A big problem with Infinite's storytelling is that there's actually fairly thorough explanations for most of what's going on available...assuming you can find every last audio diary. But unlike the previous games the audio diaries are hidden collectibles instead of just strewn around like candy to be experienced.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I stopped caring about the Bioshock Infinite's plot once you travel to alternate dimensions. Like, hey, the Chinese dude is alive in another dimension, cool, but that doesn't help the situation in your home dimension!

Also gently caress you, no spoiler tags, the game is old and you can get it for pocket change in any used game store or pawn shop. :colbert:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bioshock Infinite is bad because it had a great opportunity to do something neat and just dropped the ball. All of the dimension tearing could have been bad rear end to have it splice with more modern alternate times. Instead we get what, one cut scene in England playing an 80s tune and thats it? What a missed opportunity. Its been mentioned before, but I'll mention it again, they totally, TOTALLY hosed the game up when they introduced the Vox Populi as equal enemies as the main enemies. Seriously? The proletariat revolution is JUST AS EVIL as the people that kept literal SLAVES? Are you kidding me? You had build this rich, beautiful world, full of social, religious, economic, and political turmoil, coming at it from all these different angles...only to have the flip switched and OH LOL guess BOTH SIDES ARE JUST AS BAD. Yeah, no.

Its almost as if they hadn't put as much effort into the game I don't think I'd be as upset, but they did. They put SO much effort into it, just to kind of sputter out the last half.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle", thought Booker DeWitt as he hunkered down behind a broken balustrade, rifle in hand, ready to unleash Undertow on the charging mob.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bio shock infinite is a legitimate piece of art and I would rank it above the bible and Michaelangelo's David in importance to humanity.

It is, however, below Dante's Inferno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Cleretic posted:

The defining difference to me is that you don't vanish into some random void from the normal game map where only you and your enemy exist, you fight on the normal map with all the other poo poo still right there or you go to the normal map with poo poo beyond the enemy from the world map.