Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

Guys he's progressing at such a clip that it's honestly starting to worry me a little bit, we're at Karkat Backwards Chair Rap and moving faster with every page

I'll get the foam rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Burkion posted:

I'll get the foam rear end

What?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

He just got to speaker crab

There is only one answer to speaker crab

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Burkion posted:

He just got to speaker crab

There is only one answer to speaker crab

I can't hear you

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
This is really funny and interesting because everyone in this thread HATED the Trickster Mode stuff as it was happening. I'd have thought that some one who'd given up on the comic, twice, would have been first to share such sentiments.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Plom Bar posted:

This is really funny and interesting because everyone in this thread HATED the Trickster Mode stuff as it was happening. I'd have thought that some one who'd given up on the comic, twice, would have been first to share such sentiments.

It doesn't go nearly as long as it did while it happened so that makes it a lot better

I didn't have much issue with it when I was reading though

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I always loved Trickster mode

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Regy Rusty posted:

I always loved Trickster mode

Same here.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
The thing that is lost about Trickster Mode (which I also love) in the archive is that serially, the Trickster Gristmas alchemization happened a full month after Christmas was over and it's totally unclear if that was because Hussie was behind schedule or because he wanted to make it that much weirder and uncomfortable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So Trickster mode. Did that all actually happen or was it a horrible lollipop induced hallucination?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

So Trickster mode. Did that all actually happen or was it a horrible lollipop induced hallucination?

It actually happened. The Trickster Juju is Sburb's equivalent of a Super Star - it makes you invincible and allows you to briefly speed through the game. Since Sburb is about personal development as much as it is about fighting monsters, this turned everyone into manic demigods who immediately resolved all their issues and hangups in the most facile way and then zoomed straight to their God Beds.

And like the Super Star, it wears off eventually. Unlike the Super Star, it leaves a headache and a tremendous feeling of regret.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Trickster mode is pretty great when rereading. Certainly helps to pick up the pace!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

The thing that is lost about Trickster Mode (which I also love) in the archive is that serially, the Trickster Gristmas alchemization happened a full month after Christmas was over and it's totally unclear if that was because Hussie was behind schedule or because he wanted to make it that much weirder and uncomfortable.

Homestuck was never a stranger to wildly out of place Christmas celebrations. Remember the conksuck boot.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Dirk enjoys fancy Santas all year round

Ironically, of course.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Oxxidation posted:

Guys he's progressing at such a clip that it's honestly starting to worry me a little bit, we're at Karkat Backwards Chair Rap and moving faster with every page

So are you guys, like, brothers or something

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CidGregor posted:

So are you guys, like, brothers or something

Internet best friends.

His stuff with Toxx reminds me a lot of my friendship with a goon, Seer235 where it's a lot of similar bullshitting and terrible movie watching and one upping.

We mostly yell at each other over skype instead of IMs though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

jade's death via jake's stupid gary stu bullshit from aranea might be the biggest load of unearned horseshit this piece of trash ever tried to shovel down my throat

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

jade's death via jake's stupid gary stu bullshit from aranea might be the biggest load of unearned horseshit this piece of trash ever tried to shovel down my throat

Holy poo poo you're flying through this

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Toxxupation: wait
jade got for-real killed from that bullshit
are you loving serious
gently caress jake
gently caress this

Oxxidation: just to let you know, these were the updates leading up to the gigapause

Toxxupation: gently caress jake
i'm Legit Mad
i'm not mad that jade was killed
i'm not even mad that aranea killed her

Oxxidation: gadzooks, toxx

Toxxupation: I'm mad that the catalyst for all this bullshit was jake getting his crazy amazing totally unearned plot bullshit that makes him insta-win hooray forever

Oxxidation: you seem to be awful hot and bothered by this slapadash tomfoolery

Toxxupation: gently caress this
gently caress this webcomic
oh wait
john can literally rewrite this so it never happened
that makes me feel a lot better
although introducing a blatantly lovely, unearned plot element for the express purpose of undoing it by the guy with literal retcon powers
is
uh
well, it's certainly a way to approach storytelling
i'll give huss that

Oxxidation: you are so furious with jake

Toxxupation: it was so loving unearned!

Oxxidation: you are angrier with jake than i have ever been and i have been awful angry at jake

Toxxupation: IT WAS SO loving UNEARNED
it's not that jade died
again

Oxxidation: it's not even of his volition, though, he basically got converted into a speedo'd nuke by aranea

Toxxupation: it's that jake literally got ALL THE LEVELS thrown into his body by somebody loving else that made him unbeatable!

Oxxidation: he's not a part of this fight!
he has no idea what the hell he's doing!
LIKE ALWAYS

Toxxupation: THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT SO AWFUL
ARE WE ARGUING OR AGREEING

Oxxidation: I DON'T KNOW
loving KISS ME

Toxxupation: I FEEL LIKE WE ARE AGREEING VERY FURIOUSLY

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

Toxxupation: THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT SO AWFUL
ARE WE ARGUING OR AGREEING

Oxxidation: I DON'T KNOW
loving KISS ME

Toxxupation: I FEEL LIKE WE ARE AGREEING VERY FURIOUSLY

Like a loving mirror right Seer

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Just gently caress already, this sexual tension between you two is killing me.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It's extra dumb that he's mad because Aranea didn't even fix him, she's just using her Serket mind powers to make him think he's fixed. As soon as Dirk starts loving with her Jake immediately starts losing his hope powers and goes back to being a useless tool.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
i ship toxxoxx

also if you didn't like trickster modo kill yourself

Seer235
May 13, 2011

Burkion posted:

Like a loving mirror right Seer

Hate you. Hate you so much.

Ah, I remember back when it seemed like Jake wouldn't be totally worthless. For about the first five panels after we saw him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Seer235 posted:

Hate you. Hate you so much.

Ah, I remember back when it seemed like Jake wouldn't be totally worthless. For about the first five panels after we saw him.

:love:

I am curious about what Jake's role in the story is going to be.

Beyond his stuff with Caliborn we already know.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The stretch leading up to Game Over will probably always be my least favorite part of the whole comic. What a lovely place to be stuck on for a whole year.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Regy Rusty posted:

The stretch leading up to Game Over will probably always be my least favorite part of the whole comic. What a lovely place to be stuck on for a whole year.

wait, bad cliffhangers in loop-filled fictionalized narratives starring time lords, as a result of the idiosyncratic male lead writer's leadership flaws, leading to unforseen, etensive breaks in what should've been the serialized narrative in the middle of a climactic moment? what a unique situation and complaint regy rusty

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
But enough about post-TNG Star Trek

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

mother fuckin vriska

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh is that the time again?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

SynthOrange posted:

Oh is that the time again?

Its always Vriskatime!!!!!!!!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

GodFish posted:

Its always Vriskatime!!!!!!!!

The Vriskatime pile doesn't stop from being always already here, or something.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Vriskas plan will work, and she will beat Lord English. I don't know how, but she will do it. Dave's involvement will be minimal at best, maybe just giving the caledfwitch to Vriska to kill him with.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I haven't really kept up since the first big gigapause. Which was like. After the Scratch interlude. Like I know what's going on (everyone's not dead because John rewrote history because somebody wrote themselves into a corner) but I only really have a morbid curiosity to see this through. Just let Vriska win. Everyone*'s happy.

*a term which here means 'Vriska'

(the trickster stuff was stupid as hell)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The Trickster stuff was insanely cool and served an important narrative purpose actually

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I loved Trickster Mode when it was new and I love it now, feels nice to be vindicated :smug:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Toxx, bear in mind that real-time readers didn't know John could rewrite history during Game Over. That happened after the Gigapause. I mean, we all knew that Hussie wouldn't leave his entire cast dead, but. This is the last pre-Gigapause page. It interests me that of all those deaths Jade's was the one in particular you couldn't forgive. That's the whole cast lying around like kernels of unpoppable popcorn there!

also trickster mode is unreadable bite me hussie and anybody who disagrees

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Toxx, bear in mind that real-time readers didn't know John could rewrite history during Game Over. That happened after the Gigapause. I mean, we all knew that Hussie wouldn't leave his entire cast dead, but. This is the last pre-Gigapause page. It interests me that of all those deaths Jade's was the one in particular you couldn't forgive. That's the whole cast lying around like kernels of unpoppable popcorn there!

also trickster mode is unreadable bite me hussie and anybody who disagrees

We did too know he could.

He just didn't have control of it yet and we didn't know HOW exactly.

Remember he already retconned the Dave Jade conversation which he then retconned the retconned John Dave Jade conversation.

And all of the loving arms

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Burkion posted:

We did too know he could.

I can only say "duh". As per usual. Changing the subject rapidly, every time I wake up in the morning and see double-digit posts, I think "Ah, he must finally have anounced the length of the Omegapause and the rest of the strip will be held until ten years after his death."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

mother fuckin vriska

That's the subtitle of Homestuck