Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Durendal posted:

I heard Magic Realm was getting a reprint, no idea if that's true or not.

If you aern't dedicated enough to print and construct your own copy, then you aern't dedicated enough to learn Magic Realm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Rutibex posted:

If you aern't dedicated enough to print and construct your own copy, then you aern't dedicated enough to learn Magic Realm.

Doesn't hurt to see if someone can polish it up though. 1977 was a long time ago

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Durendal posted:

I heard Magic Realm was getting a reprint, no idea if that's true or not.

Andarel posted:

They've been saying that for years. Rumor had it Stronghold was going to reprint it but I think Richard Hamblen still has the license and he is incommunicado so it's kind of in licensing hell there. Otherwise WotC probably ate it when they picked up Avalon Hill but I doubt they'd release such a niche (rules clusterfuck, super long, old as hell, rabid fanbase that won't tolerate change) game.

I can confirm that Stronghold denied the rumors again this year at Gen Con. They did put in an application for publication rights with the US Copyright Office a couple years ago, but I think that was mostly an rear end-covering move after the Merchant of Venus fiasco a couple years back.

The problem with a lot of old 70s titles is that even the big players like Avalon Hill were very amateur at the bookkeeping. No one kept a very clear record of who owned what for how long, and when do the rights revert to the designer, if ever. (This was the problem with MoV. WotC thought Avalon Hill owned it, and sold the rights to FFG. Richard Hamblen thought he owned it, and sold the rights to Stronghold. They never sorted the issue out because it was an awful legal clusterfuck, and a settlement was much cheaper for all involved parties.)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Andarel posted:

They've been saying that for years. Rumor had it Stronghold was going to reprint it but I think Richard Hamblen still has the license and he is incommunicado so it's kind of in licensing hell there. Otherwise WotC probably ate it when they picked up Avalon Hill but I doubt they'd release such a niche (rules clusterfuck, super long, old as hell, rabid fanbase that won't tolerate change) game.

They wouldn't be reprinting it for the old, rabid fanbase -- those people generally already have a copy. It's a golden opportunity to release a better version.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is the new dominion client still somehow worse than the old one?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

homullus posted:

They wouldn't be reprinting it for the old, rabid fanbase -- those people generally already have a copy. It's a golden opportunity to release a better version.

You'd be surprised. The older fanbase might have original copies but the first edition is universally considered terrible in terms of components and second isn't that much better. Best edition out there right now is Carthaginian's pnp which is what a lot of us are using, and something official along those lines would definitely be picked up even by people who had 1E copies because people like Print n' Play Productions haven't gotten permission from R. Hamblen + Carthaginian (per the latter's request) to assemble custom copies.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Wowza. Normally I take BGG spergs with a grain of salt but they weren't kidding about how bad the printing of the new MK expansion is. It seriously is larger and thinner card stock (and that is saying something since MK's isn't great) and the tokens are hilariously smaller.
Legit, and I say this as someone who doesn't really care, if you kind of want Shades of Tezla...wait and hope the second printing isn't horrific.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Wowza. Normally I take BGG spergs with a grain of salt but they weren't kidding about how bad the printing of the new MK expansion is. It seriously is larger and thinner card stock (and that is saying something since MK's isn't great) and the tokens are hilariously smaller.
Legit, and I say this as someone who doesn't really care, if you kind of want Shades of Tezla...wait and hope the second printing isn't horrific.

Has Wizkids actually responded to this? It seems like it's a pretty big deal, but Wizkids also seems like the type of company to look at poor sales of this game and cancels all future MK development, instead of realizing that it was their poo poo QA at fault.

Also, if anyone is a DXV completionist, Android: Infiltration is gonna go out of print soon since he/FFG didn't renew the contract, so get it while you can. The game itself is pretty mediocre and dull, for what it's worth.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, if anyone is a DXV completionist, Android: Infiltration is gonna go out of print soon since he/FFG didn't renew the contract, so get it while you can. The game itself is pretty mediocre and dull, for what it's worth.
I had no idea DXV made an Android game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I had no idea DXV made an Android game.

He technically didn't. It was originally about stealing candy, I believe, but FFG rethemed it for the Androidverse.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

He technically didn't. It was originally about stealing candy, I believe, but FFG rethemed it for the Androidverse.
lol, that's somehow appropriate.

StashAugustine posted:

Is the new dominion client still somehow worse than the old one?
Well, it doesn't crash anymore, so there's that...

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So I know the correct answer is 'play Dominion,' but I have friends actually interested in Arctic Scavengers due to SU&SD and liking post apocalypse theming. I've never gotten them to actually play a goddamn deck builder before, so even if it isn't optimal is it at least not broken to hell?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I tried Caverna a week ago and it was amazing. Loved it. Recommended it to a friend after we realized we don't have a dedicated worker placement game in our board game group. He buys it today. We try it out, me teaching him as we go along, and halfway through slogging through the 50 bags of bits, I recall that the people I tried it with had a sweet wooden box just for the pieces. I look it up online and find it for $30. He waffles on it since the game was already expensive. Meanwhile, I keep looking for a cheaper price and find an eBay auction that includes the game and wooden insert for $80 - including shipping. I show it to him. He starts shouting expletives but then laughs: It started just a few hours beforehand, likely as we were punching out the cardboard in his copy lol. Then he urges me to buy it cuz it's so cheap and it's easy enough to play with others; we'll likely use his copy for our group.

I couldn't resist. :negative:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Arctic Scavengers is good. It's basically a prebuilt Dominion kingdom with an extra interaction mechanism (skirmishes). Dominion is better, but AS doesn't gently caress with the formula

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Dang, shades of tezla print sucks? I bought it & it's paid and on hold. When will I learn I don't need to be among the first out of the foxhole even if I know I want a game?

Too jittery from things going OOP or surprise impossible to find.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

OmegaGoo posted:

I'm War of the Ring. Is that... good?

You're not War of the Ring! I'm War of the Ring! Usurper!

This has me thinking about the BGG ranking system a little though. Is there any way to filter votes on their system? If, say, we wanted to exclude votes made before 2013, or cut off the first 20% of votes made for any given game, is that possible? I don't know how to get into BGG's statistics backend like some people seem to be able to.

I think that a weighting given to votes over time would probably be a better way to go than their current system - so the most recent votes have more weight than those made when a game first came out and people are still wearing rose-tinted glasses about them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm like 2 Rutibexen!!

Edit: Also, I guess that makes me Twilight Struggle :smug:

If you're two Rutibexes, surely that makes you Talisman with the expansions?

(Also post more, Rutibex, as of this post I'm a loving Vlaada game.)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm Terra Mystica. I am okay with this. Also didn't realize that TM was second.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm Twilight Imperium. Some bad bloated game I don't care about, but at least I can play it up as wargaming cred. So I go and check the wargame thread/rank and apparently I'm Combat Commander: Pacific, a game I don't care about, about a theater I don't care about.

Thus, I'm bound to go on a shitposting spree about BGG ranking system to fix both problems at once.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 7, 2015

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I'm tichu, a game I have only been vaguely aware of since I got into hobbyist boardgames. I don't even know what it is or what it's about.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Splendor. loving Splendor. Although one more post and I'm cosmic encounter...

Rumda fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 7, 2015

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Rumda posted:

Splendor. loving Splendor.

That means you're just good enough :)

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Zombie #246 posted:

That means you're just good enough :)

But now people like me for no reason at all despite my massive faults

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I'm 7 Wonders :/ Inoffensive when you've got a large group... completely vanilla in every other respect

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Lord Frisk posted:

I know it's been said before, but jesus christ, Fozzy.

at least im in the top ten. (and i havent contributed anything of worth since the last thread! suck on that, funhavers!)

I need to get my rear end in gear. I used to always be in top 10. Then again, I used to have a boardgame group too. :sigh:

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
44th, which makes me Five Tribes. Never played it so I don't know what that says about me :v:

Turns out my girlfriend's brother has better taste in games than I thought, I was worried about him getting me a copy of Exploding Kittens for my birthday, but I actually received Roll for the Galaxy :woop:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Broken Loose posted:

The upside of AF is also its biggest downside. Yay, Alien Frontiers is the perfect game to play in the background while doing something better, like putting together model rockets, watching a 120-star Mario 64 TAS, or having group sex. Boo, the downtime in Alien Frontiers is so loving tremendous that it's often preferable to focus on something that's not the game for the vast majority of the game's duration.

Passing the ipad back and forth during commercial breaks works for this, but if you're playing a sit-down game then once that starts it leads to a terrible cycle of people not bothering to pay attention during other players' turns & then when it is their turn they go all "hmmm ok what happened since I last looked at the board? OK now I'll roll, now hmmmm what do I want to dooooooo...." which leads to other players just zoning out and so on more and more.

I find the best way to play Alien Frontiers is with players who 1) pay attention to what other players do on their (short) turns and use that time and information to 2) form a strategy and modify it on the fly as necessary so that your turn consists of roll then do as much of your Plan A as you can, and if you rolled some weird edge case then maybe do a Plan B. Alien Frontiers is a game where the winning strategy depends entirely on what your opponents are or are not doing and how successful they are (or aren't) so it's entirely possible (and desirable) to be engaged in your opponents' turns and use that time and information to plan your own and make your actual turn really quick, almost perfunctory.

Except for some end-game turns where there can be some serious thinking and re-thinking needed to wring out maximum points for actions, I don't see how a typical turn in Alien Frontiers should average more than a minute or so. In the games I've played only the AP guy (who naturally doesn't think he has AP) manages to be a bus stop because he has no strategy besides to every single turn roll then evaluate every possible combination of action and artifact card because he's hunting for the perfect storm of combo that will allow him to like insta-win or whatever.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Mister Sinewave posted:

I find the best way to play Alien Frontiers is with players who 1) pay attention to what other players do on their (short) turns and use that time and information to 2) form a strategy and modify it on the fly as necessary so that your turn consists of roll then do as much of your Plan A as you can, and if you rolled some weird edge case then maybe do a Plan B. Alien Frontiers is a game where the winning strategy depends entirely on what your opponents are or are not doing and how successful they are (or aren't) so it's entirely possible (and desirable) to be engaged in your opponents' turns and use that time and information to plan your own and make your actual turn really quick, almost perfunctory.

Except for some end-game turns where there can be some serious thinking and re-thinking needed to wring out maximum points for actions, I don't see how a typical turn in Alien Frontiers should average more than a minute or so. In the games I've played only the AP guy (who naturally doesn't think he has AP) manages to be a bus stop because he has no strategy besides to every single turn roll then evaluate every possible combination of action and artifact card because he's hunting for the perfect storm of combo that will allow him to like insta-win or whatever.

The real problem with AF is that there is no social mechanism to dump players who are making your game miserable mid-game and replace them with someone who can make some goddamn decisions in a timely manner.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm happy to just not play with him any more. He had a couple games to see if he'd get into the groove with a bit of familiarization but nup.

It's actually a bit of a pity because I can honestly say he takes games seriously from beginning to end and appears to enjoy playing. He never mentally "checks out" when he starts to lose, or starts paying more attention to his phone than the board, etc. He's just frustrating to play with. Only child who never learned to share/consider others? Who knows. Every good player is the same but every bad player is bad in their own unique sort of way.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mister Sinewave posted:

I'm happy to just not play with him any more. He had a couple games to see if he'd get into the groove with a bit of familiarization but nup.

It's actually a bit of a pity because I can honestly say he takes games seriously from beginning to end and appears to enjoy playing. He never mentally "checks out" when he starts to lose, or starts paying more attention to his phone than the board, etc. He's just frustrating to play with. Only child who never learned to share/consider others? Who knows. Every good player is the same but every bad player is bad in their own unique sort of way.

I know a player like that in a gaming group I used to be in. Clever kid, but overanalyzes EVERYTHING. He's used to board games too since his dad has an entire room full of them (or used to). He's also the oldest of three. He's not the worst APer I've met though and he's actually aware of his APing problem.

The worst is the guy who APs but then bitches at other people for APing playing frustratingly unbeatable MtG decks that win mainly against him when he plays Mono-Blue control.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Mister Sinewave posted:

Dang, shades of tezla print sucks? I bought it & it's paid and on hold. When will I learn I don't need to be among the first out of the foxhole even if I know I want a game?

Too jittery from things going OOP or surprise impossible to find.

Ya, they kind of botched it. The new Mage Knight, scenarios, and enemies own though. My set also has non matching pogs and tiles from Lost Legion, so I'm not to bothered by the quality. I'm also ordering colored bags for all the pogs.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I'm near the bottom, but I'm honestly surprised I'm even on the list; I didn't think I posted that much.

Edit: Also, goddamn, thread. I go 24 hours without checking you due to academy, playing Malifaux and catching up on sleep, and wake up to nearly 300 posts.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 7, 2015

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I'm apparently BSG. I can live with that, except if I'd made a few less posts, I'd be Dominion.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My streak of never finishing a game of Mage Knight without cheating in some new way stands unbroken. Ran a Solo Conquest and was doing great. Revealed both cities on the second morning as well as a ruins that rewarded a unit.

Night refresh turned over a Delphana Masters and I didn't realize until this (actual) morning that you can't recruit them through a ruins reward (or any other fun way, straight influence in a city only).

Anyway Delphana Masters completely trivializes all combat, obviously. I shitstomped my level 11 city by breaking the blue ring for infinite blue/black, forcing all the enemies to give up their attack, used three green crystals and a Crushing Bolt to reduce their armor by a total of 20 then one shot the whole city with a Mana Thunderbolt.

One unit, one artifact, one spell, one advanced action, and three crystals to smash a level 11 city. So that's why you can't rescue Delphana Masters from a ruin.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 7, 2015

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Scyther posted:

I'm apparently BSG. I can live with that, except if I'd made a few less posts, I'd be Dominion.

My 38th puts me as Trajan, which is sad because I do not actually enjoy Trajan

Xelkelvos posted:

I know a player like that in a gaming group I used to be in. Clever kid, but overanalyzes EVERYTHING. He's used to board games too since his dad has an entire room full of them (or used to). He's also the oldest of three. He's not the worst APer I've met though and he's actually aware of his APing problem.

The worst is the guy who APs but then bitches at other people for APing playing frustratingly unbeatable MtG decks that win mainly against him when he plays Mono-Blue control.

Normally my gaming friends are pretty quick about decision making but Alien Frontiers seemed to bring out the worst. I get that you can't really plan ahead all that well short of having a bunch of tech cards to abuse but it's not all that complicated of a game.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Durendal posted:

I'm also ordering colored bags for all the pogs.

Where are you getting them. Lots I see are not opaque that are not black or white dice bags.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm generally a pretty quick player, but there are two games that have really brought out my AP. The first is Tash Kalar, but I'm getting better at it as I play more. The second is Tzolk'in, because the game so heavily necessitates long term planning. I'm pretty bad at long term planning when I have to be more exact than "get a bunch of wood and stone for a few turns from now". You really need to time your turns to get the most out of each worker retrieval, and I end up forgetting what I was planning a few turns later.

I still end up playing faster than the rest of my group, but that's more just because I recognize that I'm taking a while, and force myself to make a move. I really wish more people would do that in.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Paper Kaiju posted:

I'm near the bottom, but I'm honestly surprised I'm even on the list; I didn't think I posted that much.

Edit: Also, goddamn, thread. I go 24 hours without checking you due to academy, playing Malifaux and catching up on sleep, and wake up to nearly 300 posts.

Everyone is trying to be Twilight Struggle.

Huxley posted:

One unit, one artifact, one spell, one advanced action, and three crystals to smash a level 11 city. So that's why you can't rescue Delphana Masters from a ruin.

Yeah, the higher-level units are pretty nuts...pretty sure you're right and you just need to park yourself in a city and pay the influence to pick 'em up. City units are mostly boss tier in general, especially city-only units.

---

As much as I like Mage Knight, the print quality has been pretty much universally awful in terms of cardstock. Shame with how popular the game is.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
El Grande. Ok, I like El Grande.

Actually doesn't that big box come out in the US soon? I hear the expansions suck tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

The General posted:

I need to get my rear end in gear. I used to always be in top 10. Then again, I used to have a boardgame group too. :sigh: