Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Junkfist posted:

Case in point: Chloe got shot in the head and you can't rewind in that instant but nobody cares because we're going to rewind things later with pictures, all the tension of this pivotal moment fading like a ghost deer before being swept away like a blue butterfly in a native american tornado.

The tension of the scene is that Max is in danger with nobody who can help her, not that Chloe has died for the fifteenth time in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
If there hadn't been the video of Kate at the party, she probably never would have had a clue anything happened to her. "It was weird, I must have blacked out, but that nice boy Nathan took me home!"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A really dark ending would be Max stuck in a one-minute loop of Jefferson torturing her, rewinding time over and over again but finding no exit. A fitting punishment for saying 'hella'.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:yikes:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Paladinus posted:

A really dark ending would be Max stuck in a one-minute loop of Jefferson torturing her, rewinding time over and over again but finding no exit. A fitting punishment for saying 'hella'.

Cool man.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Paladinus posted:

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

VagueRant posted:

If there hadn't been the video of Kate at the party, she probably never would have had a clue anything happened to her. "It was weird, I must have blacked out, but that nice boy Nathan took me home!"

Kinda wondering when Nathan actually got involved in all this, there's a *lot* of binders in that cabinet, and he seems like too much of a gently caress up to have managed like 20 of these until loving up with Rachel/Kate now. Guessing he started recently? But then again, how long has this op been running, and at that location?

Something Ep5 hopefully expands on.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I have a feeling that Nathan isn't aware that Victoria is being targeted.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pimpmust posted:

Kinda wondering when Nathan actually got involved in all this, there's a *lot* of binders in that cabinet, and he seems like too much of a gently caress up to have managed like 20 of these until loving up with Rachel/Kate now. Guessing he started recently? But then again, how long has this op been running, and at that location?

Something Ep5 hopefully expands on.

It's also a big question how exactly he is involved. I think we only saw him on one photo with Rachel and he was seemingly out of it as well. He might have spiked people's drinks for 'fun', but maybe he's never been voluntarily involved in those hosed-up photo ops, since Jefferson clearly uses a syringe to drug his victims.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Apparently there's over 26 minutes of background music for the party in episode 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUudCz02bb4

I knew there was a few tracks because I was stuck there so long, but wow.

Yardbomb posted:

Well like 4 of those episodes have just been back to back scenes of people kicking sand in your eyes, so it kind of hurried itself along that way. :v:
Yeaahhhhh, that is a very accurate description of Telltale's GoT.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Telltale's Game of Thrones is terrible and the newest episode made swear me off their games for good.

This game is so superior in every way that its not even funny.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Paladinus posted:

It's also a big question how exactly he is involved. I think we only saw him on one photo with Rachel and he was seemingly out of it as well. He might have spiked people's drinks for 'fun', but maybe he's never been voluntarily involved in those hosed-up photo ops, since Jefferson clearly uses a syringe to drug his victims.

Nah, I think he's more involved that that (the post-it from Jefferson to him in the bunker and the nature of the photographs removes any lingering doubts) but it's entirely possible Nathan either regrets it or didn't mean for things to go as far as they have but it's all from Jefferson trying to mold him into his sicko protege. All the documents pertaining to his mental state paint a pretty hosed up and chaotic mind while the message from his sister and Victoria's general attitude towards him suggests he isn't a completely vile, lost cause.

Of course, I still let Warren have his moment in the sun with him though because get hosed, there's only so much you can excuse. I do feel bad about it though but maintain it's better than the alternative outcome of a crazy guy running around the dorm with a pistol.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Accordion Man posted:

Telltale's Game of Thrones is terrible and the newest episode made swear me off their games for good.

This game is so superior in every way that its not even funny.

I still maintain it that their earlier games are better than Life is Strange and so is Tales from the Borderlands. Granted, the games are different both thematically and in terms of target audience, so it's highly subjective. That said, couldn't play GoT past episode 1 and I'm sure I'm not even going to try Minecraft: Story Mode.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Paladinus posted:

I still maintain it that their earlier games are better than Life is Strange and so is Tales from the Borderlands. Granted, the games are different both thematically and in terms of target audience, so it's highly subjective. That said, couldn't play GoT past episode 1 and I'm sure I'm not even going to try Minecraft: Story Mode.

Game of Thrones turned me off immediately and never got any better by all accounts, I loved Wolf Among Us until the last episode just kinda poo poo the bed and forgot how to wrap up a mystery, but Tales of the Borderlands so far is a goddamn solid game, I'd go so far as to call it my favorite of the year.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I was enjoying GoT I guess but once I got into this I haven't even bothered to play the latest episode. After a strong start, The Wolf Among Us petered out so hard it was almost embarrassing though I did at least appreciate the perfectly appropriate final scene. Having never played Borderlands in any form, I didn't bother with the TT one.

I don't know, Life Is Strange certainly isn't faultless but it's gripped me in a way none of TT's stuff ever has, there's just something greatly endearing about it, a humanity that feels all too rare in most game stories. Plus I guess the fact it doesn't run like a janky shuddering clusterfuck helps too.

Or perhaps I just never realised til now what I really wanted out of life was to be an angsty teenage girl taking twee snaps, watering plants, listening to indie-folk, and doing mad Nancy Drew poo poo. Anything's possible. On that note, can someone do a Heathers game? I want to lay sick burns on a polygonal Christian Slater.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sentinel Red posted:

Having never played Borderlands in any form, I didn't bother with the TT one.

You still should, imo. I only knew some titbits about the setting through memes and references in other places, and it was just enough to enjoy the game. They've done a good job of introducing the world to a new audience through dialogue and characters' observations. Maybe read a wiki article to learn about major factions and some general lore if you know literally nothing about it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I liked the music at the pool party that is an impressive amount of attention to detail

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Paladinus posted:

You still should, imo. I only knew some titbits about the setting through memes and references in other places, and it was just enough to enjoy the game. They've done a good job of introducing the world to a new audience through dialogue and characters' observations. Maybe read a wiki article to learn about major factions and some general lore if you know literally nothing about it.

Yeah, the game basically takes the Borderlands universe, full of crazed insane bandits and exploding guns, and uses that background to tell a story of two adventure game protagonists, a cowardly but shrewd 80's business guy and a small time con artist, who get involved in a screwball comedy heist. It's also genuinely funny.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

exquisite tea posted:

The tension of the scene is that Max is in danger with nobody who can help her, not that Chloe has died for the fifteenth time in the story.

I wonder if she'll rewind and get to use a Polaroid to time travel in, as we've established she can do in an otherwise unnecessary sideplot.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, the game basically takes the Borderlands universe, full of crazed insane bandits and exploding guns, and uses that background to tell a story of two adventure game protagonists, a cowardly but shrewd 80's business guy and a small time con artist, who get involved in a screwball comedy heist. It's also genuinely funny.

Telltale used do lots of funny stuff. I wonder if they'll ever make another Sam & Max game. Though what would a new Sam & Max game by them even be like at this point?

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Junkfist posted:

I wonder if she'll rewind and get to use a Polaroid to time travel in, as we've established she can do in an otherwise unnecessary sideplot.

Every scene is unnecessary if you set aside the purpose that it serves. What are you trying to say here?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Varam posted:

Every scene is unnecessary if you set aside the purpose that it serves. What are you trying to say here?

Well exactly. If they didn't make you experience it already every smug professional whiner from here to Portland would be complaining about the rear end-pull final episode superpower outta nowhere of travelling through selfies. At least it's been established already while also serving a purpose in terms of showing the depth of Max and Chloe's relationship, the huge implications of loving about with history, and just how far Max is prepared to go for her BFF.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Tales From the Borderlands is the closest thing we'll ever see to a Firefly adventure game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Tales From the Borderlands is the closest thing we'll ever see to a Firefly adventure game.

If nothing else, it deserves an award for Best Ferris Bueller's Day Off Reference in any medium that is not an actual John Hughes movie.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Wiseblood posted:

Telltale used do lots of funny stuff. I wonder if they'll ever make another Sam & Max game. Though what would a new Sam & Max game by them even be like at this point?
(?) Harry Moleman will remember that.

(And then he dies three scenes later.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Well exactly. If they didn't make you experience it already every smug professional whiner from here to Portland would be complaining about the rear end-pull final episode superpower outta nowhere of travelling through selfies. At least it's been established already while also serving a purpose in terms of showing the depth of Max and Chloe's relationship, the huge implications of loving about with history, and just how far Max is prepared to go for her BFF.

Right, what you take away from that is the fact that Max is never going to abandon Chloe again. This is why I think all those theories about Max having to let Chloe die to save the city are on the wrong track. Max would never choose to abandon or let Chloe die after going through what she did in episode 4.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Varam posted:

That there are no stakes, the story is bad and the setup is predictable.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Junkfist posted:

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I knew Mr. Jefferson was the bad guy because of his license plate.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Junkfist posted:

I knew Mr. Jefferson was the bad guy because of his license plate.

Wait, Chloe's an FBI agent?

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Junkfist posted:

Great. You haven't yet made an argument for that, though. Let me know when you come up with one.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Varam posted:

Great. You haven't yet made an argument for that, though. Let me know when you come up with one.

I explained how nobody cares about the secondary character's death because its been established through an extended maudlin side-story that time traveling through instant photos will fix things and you went "Yeah but so what?" and got mad.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I got to this late since I left for GenCon the day it dropped, but holy poo poo that was heavy.

I skimmed the past 30 pages, but I didn't see much talk about Sam. Who very clearly seems to know that Max has some sort of time power. Between him and the homeless woman, it seems like a bunch of people know that something is up with Max. I don't know how they're going to wrap all this poo poo up in a single episode, but I am dying to play it. Also gonna' be super sad if there is no way to save Chloe. :smith:

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away

Junkfist posted:

I explained how nobody cares about the secondary character's death because its been established through an extended maudlin side-story that time traveling through instant photos will fix things and you went "Yeah but so what?" and got mad.

I cared about Chloe dying at the end of episode 4. I may have even cried like a bitch for like the fifth time that episode. You don't know, you weren't there. :shobon:

Your enjoyment or lack of enjoyment has no affect on me, however. Life is Strange is easily my game of the year.

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 7, 2015

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Chloe's death didn't make a huge impact on us players - beyond the initial shock - but that wasn't the point; it's how it affected Max who's now alone, in shock, powerless and in the hands of a handsome but psychotic sharpshooter. For all she knows, there's no way to escape and no hope for rescue. An army of undead does will set her free and she'll promptly rewind, sure, but the current situation is still pretty drat tense as you have no idea what kind of terrible poo poo Jefferson/Nathan will pull between now and then. Whatever happens, Max will remember all of it.

Crappy Jack posted:

What kind of 80s business guy are we talking about here? "Awesome to the Max" or "I like to dissect girls. Did you know I'm utterly insane?" ? This is important.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

seravid posted:

What kind of 80s business guy are we talking about here? "Awesome to the Max" or "I like to dissect girls. Did you know I'm utterly insane?" ? This is important.

My only regret... is that I have... bonitis...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

seravid posted:

Wicked awesome to the max, broheim. He has a robot arm and a bionic eye and the opening of the game is him getting chewed out by Patrick Warburton who threatens to demote him to janitorial assistant. He'd be Safety Dancing all over the place if it weren't for the fact that he's stuck on the most dangerous planet in the galaxy, but there's no way he's gonna miss that promotion.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

seravid posted:

Chloe's death didn't make a huge impact on us players - beyond the initial shock - but that wasn't the point; it's how it affected Max who's now alone, in shock, powerless and in the hands of a handsome but psychotic sharpshooter. For all she knows, there's no way to escape and no hope for rescue. An army of undead does will set her free and she'll promptly rewind, sure, but the current situation is still pretty drat tense as you have no idea what kind of terrible poo poo Jefferson/Nathan will pull between now and then. Whatever happens, Max will remember all of it.

If the audience knows more than the main character in a mystery or suspense then we have the additional problem of not being able to sympathize with the protagonist, their plight and their emotional state.

It is one of the many things that's making the whole story fluff and camp.

Which, even if Life is Strange is generally more B-movie fun, at least Tales From the Borderlands is doing on purpose.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

People often become emotionally invested even in stories that they know the ending to, a fairly recent theory developed by Aristotle that has survived intact until disproven by goons in the twenty-first century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

People often become emotionally invested even in stories that they know the ending to, a fairly recent theory developed by Aristotle that has survived intact until disproven by goons in the twenty-first century.

One time I was watching a production of Hamlet and I stood up and yelled "HE DIES AT THE END BUT SO DOES THE KING" and everybody applauded and thanked me for saving them all that time.

• Locked thread