Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Splicer posted:

Not really. As Hremsfeld summarised, Tony asked for surgery supplies, right afterwards Annie is in the hospital, Zimmie says her dad is involved, Zimmy climbs the (five) bone spears and punches a guy who looks like her dad, Annie immediately wakes up, later her dad shows up all beat up and missing a hand. Saying "Well yes but maybe it was someone else" is definitely robot duck territory. As to the "out of his way to humiliate her" part: literally the first thing he says to her after returning from years of absence is "Go to the rest room to wash that ridiculous makeup from your face. Cosmetics are not allowed in my class". Then held up the class until she did. That he is currently being shown to not actually be the autistic sociopath he presents himself to much of the world as actually makes this worse, because if he is an actual functioning human being with human emotions that means he knew what he was doing.

I think magical space surgery requiring literal scalpels is a pretty weird concept actually. Maybe he cut of his own hand as the sacrifice for it I guess. Also considering his current lack of etheric skills I think there is some dissonance between that and being able to do what is presumably a very difficult etheric surgery across space. Also like I said even assuming the surgery is as literal as a duck we don't know why he did it or even what it was supposed to do. He did absolutely humiliate Antimony I am not disputing that for a second. I am saying that he didn't do it simply to humiliate her. I imagine he was shocked by how much she looks like Surma now particularly the exact eye-shadow Surma always wore. I personally think that was an emotional outburst from him rather than an attempt at assholery, but we'll see. He still acted very badly though, we can agree on that at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Also I am rereading to Kill a Mockingbird and I just finished the part where Scout overhears Atticus talking to Uncle Jack about the upcoming case and about Scout herself. The entire time Atticus knew she was there and it was years later before she realised this. I think it'd be neat if Tony knows Annie is listening in and this is the only way he can be open with her, it'd be sweet. Sweet as in cute not as in kickin' rad.

I think you are giving way too much emotional competency to Tony in respect to his daughter. We know based on how he acted towards Brinnie and how Donnie describes him that when he gets cold and silent and harsh that means he doesn't know what to do is and stressed. If he knew Annie was listening he I don't think he would be nearly that open. Dude is extremely introverted, that's not something a person turns on or off on a whim. Atticus is more like Donnie, wise and more emotionally grounded than someone like Tony.

Don't get me wrong, that would be very sweet and heart warming, but I have a feeling we aren't going to get that for some time. The one thing Tony has been insistent on is that he committed a big mistake and while it could be any number of things, Tom has had him mention it a few times now without telling us what it is. That makes me think its going to be a big deal and something that we don't know about yet. It may involve Annie but maybe it won't. Makes me nervous because hes portraying him in a nice light right now so I'm just waiting to see how hes going to pull the rug out from under us.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JuniperCake posted:

I think you are giving way too much emotional competency to Tony in respect to his daughter. We know based on how he acted towards Brinnie and how Donnie describes him that when he gets cold and silent and harsh that means he doesn't know what to do is and stressed. If he knew Annie was listening he I don't think he would be nearly that open. Dude is extremely introverted, that's not something a person turns on or off on a whim. Atticus is more like Donnie, wise and more emotionally grounded than someone like Tony.

Don't get me wrong, that would be very sweet and heart warming, but I have a feeling we aren't going to get that for some time. The one thing Tony has been insistent on is that he committed a big mistake and while it could be any number of things, Tom has had him mention it a few times now without telling us what it is. That makes me think its going to be a big deal and something that we don't know about yet. It may involve Annie but maybe it won't. Makes me nervous because hes portraying him in a nice light right now so I'm just waiting to see how hes going to pull the rug out from under us.

Oh yeah sure, I should have clarified that I don't think that's what's happening I just wish it was!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Oh yeah sure, I should have clarified that I don't think that's what's happening I just wish it was!

Yeah I agree that would be nice. It's really uncomfortable to watch them interact as it is. Though I suppose if they could fix things so easily, well it wouldn't be much of a story.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I still think this is gonna end up with Renardine picking a fight with Tony for whatever reason, Donald will try his techno-magic and it'll be completely ineffective because he's now Kat's property. And Kat is the computer powering Donalds techno-magic

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

EmmyOk posted:

I think magical space surgery requiring literal scalpels is a pretty weird concept actually. Maybe he cut of his own hand as the sacrifice for it I guess. Also considering his current lack of etheric skills I think there is some dissonance between that and being able to do what is presumably a very difficult etheric surgery across space. Also like I said even assuming the surgery is as literal as a duck we don't know why he did it or even what it was supposed to do. He did absolutely humiliate Antimony I am not disputing that for a second. I am saying that he didn't do it simply to humiliate her. I imagine he was shocked by how much she looks like Surma now particularly the exact eye-shadow Surma always wore. I personally think that was an emotional outburst from him rather than an attempt at assholery, but we'll see. He still acted very badly though, we can agree on that at least.
Who cut your hand off and made you an expert on etheric space surgery :colbert: But seriously, your next sentence is kind of the point. "Why did he do etheric space surgery? Because he's a dick, or a super dick? Could anything justify him doing it without asking her first (no)?" are fun discussions, while "Yeah but maybe it wasn't him at all!" is more of a conversation stopper than a starter.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Splicer posted:

Who cut your hand off and made you an expert on etheric space surgery :colbert:

Using my own points against me is punching below the intellect, you brute.

Splicer posted:

But seriously, your next sentence is kind of the point. "Why did he do etheric space surgery? Because he's a dick, or a super dick? Could anything justify him doing it without asking her first (no)?" are fun discussions, while "Yeah but maybe it wasn't him at all!" is more of a conversation stopper than a starter.

I do agree those are fun discussions and I do think there could be reasons not to ask her first. I mentioned some before and I am sure there are others I can't think of. Just because I can't think of many alternative solutions doesn't mean the answer is one of the existing ones! Which makes me sound mental. I wouldn't agree the second point is a conversation stopper because it means we have to ask if it wasn't Tony then who or what happened. To expose myself as mentally deficient (though most of my previous posts have already done so) I never considered what happened to be etheric surgery till I read the thread. My original reading of it was that Annie's magical abilities were beginning to go out of her control and that her feelings on her Father had trapped her in a mental prison fueled by her own magic. The preceding chapter of course being the thing that triggered a spike in her emotions and etheric abilities. I think the etheric surgery theory is much more sensible and likely but it does have its holes and I haven't seen very much discussion of why Iceman Carver my have done it just that he is a bastard for doing so.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 6, 2015

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Tony went to find the psychopomps, learned his wife's spirit was still in this world (because there was nothing left of her to take) and decided to find it wherever it was, since he doesn't quite seem to understand that it was an etherical "illness".

Boom. Etheric surgery without moral culpability or whatever.

Still an abusive dick.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Is Reynard listening to this?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Quantum Finger posted:

Tony went to find the psychopomps, learned his wife's spirit was still in this world (because there was nothing left of her to take) and decided to find it wherever it was, since he doesn't quite seem to understand that it was an etherical "illness".

Boom. Etheric surgery without moral culpability or whatever.

Still an abusive dick.

I know there was 'nothing left to take' and the psychopomps never came for her. I hope we get an explanation of what it is then that Annie escourted and where it went.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dienes posted:

I know there was 'nothing left to take' and the psychopomps never came for her. I hope we get an explanation of what it is then that Annie escourted and where it went.

No, I think this is a very good point. What could Annie do with what remained that the psychopomps couldn't is a really big question imo.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

She ate her.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Can't say she was uncomfortable during the surgery, y'know! Apparently she just got sleepy and remembered nothing bad about the experience; Tony apparently waited until she was not in class, and made sure she wouldn't feel any pain while he gently took a moment of her time to free her from her tragic curse.

Just sayin', you know?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

This is getting more and more interesting. I will laugh my rear end off if this implies Tony is not guilty of etheric surgery, but I will hold my judment for that until later.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Wait, did Tony abandon his daughter for years to go on a walkabout?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, this is interesting, and is also a rather nice looking page. I like this look for Tony, and this is not the direction I was expecting.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 7, 2015

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Wait, did Tony abandon his daughter for years to go on a walkabout?

If by walkabout you mean doing reaserch that may save his own daughter life one day, then yes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
look the reasons tony is a poo poo are pretty obvious you don't have to keep reaching for new ones or trying to twist everything he says into "IM HITLER"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Rugged Handsome Tony The Hiker is lookin' good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If he really wanted to save Annie's life he'd have her sterilized. :colbert:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

SynthOrange posted:

If he really wanted to save Annie's life he'd have her sterilized. :colbert:

That sounds like something a poor, penniless, veteran, painter from Austria would write about in a book detailing his daily struggles...

Nah.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

One of the most interesting things about this chapter is how much Tony is distancing himself from the Court. Back when he first returned people were viewing him as the embodiment of the Court's wishes WRT Annie's education, but now he clearly has an agenda separate from the Court.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Scarless Tony looks really young, and also like a completely different person.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

GodFish posted:

Scarless Tony looks really young, and also like a completely different person.

Yeah I first thought "is this a special mini-story page" because I didn't recognise him

Akett posted:

One of the most interesting things about this chapter is how much Tony is distancing himself from the Court. Back when he first returned people were viewing him as the embodiment of the Court's wishes WRT Annie's education, but now he clearly has an agenda separate from the Court.

Yeah I'm really starting to doubt he's supposed to be a metaphor for the Court. Narratively it's raising a lot of questions too. Why did he come back and start working for them if he tried to avoid them so long?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

there i stood handsomely upon the cliff, hair waving in the breeze, my rugged beard insulating my chin

the sun shone upon my smooth bronze skin as i looked across the valley towards my destination

as i took a sip of water from my manly canteen, a single thought ran through my head

"jeans were a bad choice for climbing"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Enourmo posted:

there i stood handsomely upon the cliff, hair waving in the breeze, my rugged beard insulating my chin

the sun shone upon my smooth bronze skin as i looked across the valley towards my destination

as i took a sip of water from my manly canteen, a single thought ran through my head

"jeans were a bad choice for climbing"

Fortunately he chose the correct potholing gear...a Gi.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 1, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I have to admit myself it's stretching. I think he's representative of the Court, even when he tries to distance himself.

Agreed. I think he definitely represents certain elements of The Court and vice versa but I'd no longer call him an avatar of the court.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
He shaved off that magnificent beard. Tony do your crimes know no end.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Bet you anti-Tony fools didn't consider... what if he was hot. Checkmate :smug:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Loving that he went on a world-spanning epic journey to find a psychopomp when Annie was just casually introducing Kat to them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tony is starting to remind me of the protagonist from Altered States.

Incidentally, that guy was also barely a human.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Tony is starting to remind me of the protagonist from Altered States.

Incidentally, that guy was also barely a human.

Would you say that "kid...is inhuman!"?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

New theory on how he lost his arm

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

MikeJF posted:

Loving that he went on a world-spanning epic journey to find a psychopomp when Annie was just casually introducing Kat to them.

"Say, Antimony: Sorry if this sounds weird, but did your mother ever tell you about psychopomps?"

One question could have saved them both years of heartache, and possibly Tony's right hand too

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"Antimony I don't have time for your imaginary friends, I have psychopomps to find"

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

ElMaligno posted:

If by walkabout you mean doing reaserch that may save his own daughter life one day, then yes.

It's a shame that he had no means to check in from time to time, just to let Annie know that he cares. Maybe one day a solution will exist for this problem.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He was a handsome guy!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, there you go: the answer's been under his nose the whole time! Bet him and Annie are going to have a good laugh about this together later on!

only joking, this is going to be cue for another series of enormous misunderstandings, isn't it
Seems like it's setting up an Annie/Kat divide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
"...and that's how I became Batman."