Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
His food obsession was because he wrote for blind kids, so he tried to include a lot of non-visual descriptors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Yay! MSG™ is back in print.

MSG™ is a game about balancing being an individual and being a corporate entity. Anyone who has worked an office job will recognise it as "what HR wants to turn this place into". Resolution's based on bidding from pools of individuality and compliance, and the book has a shitload of sample operations that capture the theme brilliantly.

What I'm saying is, you should play MSG™.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Splicer posted:

His food obsession was because he wrote for blind kids, so he tried to include a lot of non-visual descriptors.
This explains why he picked animals. Blind kids would have an easier time understanding that vermin are evil than that blacks and Arabs are evil.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blind child: "I don't really know what an uncivilized savage is."

Brian Jacques: "They're crazy ethnics with skin so dark it makes them evil."

Blind child: "Uh."

Brian Jacques: "Okay, look, they're uh... rats and stoats. Have a pastie."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FactsAreUseless posted:

This explains why he picked animals. Blind kids would have an easier time understanding that vermin are evil than that blacks and Arabs are evil.

D+, you can do better

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

D+, you can do better
It's been so long since I read a Jacques book that I couldn't think of anything more specific.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

When you think about it there are 14 books with 88 chapters total... HH brother.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Alien Rope Burn posted:

My GenCon Blurry Recollections:
  • Signs We Still Have Further To Go: Zak S winning Ennies wasn't nearly as bad as Dungeons & Dragons and Pathfinder stomping the ceremony, yay for samey old fantasy, gently caress innovation, etc. The fact that Guide to Glorantha only won one award is just hideously embarrassing, not to mention all the wonderous and innovative stuff that's been hitting the shelves. Alas. Also, still have companies like Kamikaze Games, Blind Ferret, Soda Pop Miniatures, Kingdom Death, and stuff like dakimakura sellers making GBS threads up the exhibit hall. Still, there are positive signs, like the Game of Thrones CCG, which could have been skeevy as its source material but chose not to be. So there's a lot of positive stuff going on nonetheless. The Zak S walkout, lauded by his supporters as some sort of victory (because of course it is), is a sign poo poo's changing.
:confused: Huh, I remember from the conversations I had back earlier this year about Gen-Con, it did not sound like That Part Of Gaming was really even represented there. Were Zak and his Simultaneously Pro-And-Anti-Everything Alliance actually present for this?

This is nice

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Quarex posted:

:confused: Huh, I remember from the conversations I had back earlier this year about Gen-Con, it did not sound like That Part Of Gaming was really even represented there. Were Zak and his Simultaneously Pro-And-Anti-Everything Alliance actually present for this?

Zak won some Ennies (big whoop) and there were some "Zak Saved D&D" t-shirts being sold/passed around.

I don't think the stinkbat himself was present, but those who sided with him were, if in small numbers.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
IIRC, one of Zak's books won an Ennie and a bunch of people in the audience went "ugh, gently caress that" and walked out, which is just proof that Zak is right and something something SJWs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Are the Ennie's actually taken seriously, at all, by anyone? I am legit asking, I have no idea.

this reminds me

i bought frostgrave yesterday but have yet to really dive into it

i realized that what i wanted wasn't necessarily a game but an excuse to kitbash sweetass airbrush-van-wizard models, which i plan to do.

but someone who knows even one iota about it, convince me that frostgrave is Cool and Good, thanks

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

FMguru posted:

IIRC, one of Zak's books won an Ennie and a bunch of people in the audience went "ugh, gently caress that" and walked out, which is just proof that Zak is right and something something SJWs.

Three rows of people, from what I gather, with Cam Banks among them.

Ryoshi posted:

Are the Ennie's actually taken seriously, at all, by anyone? I am legit asking, I have no idea.

No, not really. It's only taken seriously by people who want to prove a point that is beyond the scope of the award show. Most of the time D&D/PF just stomps all over whatever category they are in, which is expected from a set of awards coming from what was is a glorified D&D fan site.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Slimnoid posted:

Three rows of people, from what I gather, with Cam Banks among them.

No, not really.

I'm going to ignore the entire rest of this post because these two sentences make me a little bit happy and by god I need it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
As with most awards, the Ennies are taken seriously when they produce results we agree with and derided when they produce results we don't like.

(Regarded neutrally, they are still pretty bad.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Forums Terrorist posted:

And that game idea strikes me as being very Fantastic Mr Fox.

Now that you mention it, yeah.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stop talking about Zak S and butthurt about the ENnies and instead talk about the new D&D movie that I hope to Jesus Christ that gets Jeremy Irons and Marlon Wayans again

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Ryoshi posted:

The Ennies are decided by a popular vote held by a D&D fan site. It's hard to take their results seriously at all, and doubly so when it comes to D&D material. Some people undoubtedly take them seriously, but for example David Hill (from Onyx Path) said that winning them just made him feel dirty.

The Origins Awards are by popular vote by Origins attendees. From what I've heard they tend to be bent towards whatever games are doing a good job of demoing at Origins that year, but they're a step above open votes from a D&D site on the internet.

The Diana Jones Award is decided by an anonymous committee of industry luminaries, and they deliberately exclude commercial success from their judgments, which is probably why (for example) a Polish larp was among this year's nominees.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Stop talking about Zak S and butthurt about the ENnies and instead talk about the new D&D movie that I hope to Jesus Christ that gets Jeremy Irons and Marlon Wayans again

Hell yea

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Rand Brittain posted:

As with most awards, the Ennies are taken seriously when they produce results we agree with and derided when they produce results we don't like.

(Regarded neutrally, they are still pretty bad.)

I just read them as E/Nnies in my mind, and that automatically tells me everything I need to know about them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
if anything gets done with this Redwall meets D&D idea, this better be a viable character option;

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I want the D&D movie to be centered entirely around a brutal dungeon crawl.

Imagine the Mines of Moria sequence from Fellowship padded out to 2 hours, with the entire party dying horribly before they can escape.

Then a second party goes down to follow rumors of the first. All except one dies, who we find out is the only one to survive to tell the tale.

The End! No moral!

Dungeons and Dragons: a Lars Von Trier film

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Simian_Prime posted:

Made me think more of Nicolas Winding Refn's Valhalla Rising, which is essentially the wilderness-adventure equivalent of such a D&D movie.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drrockso20 posted:

Redwall meets D&D
<-dibs on this guy

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Tulpa posted:

Made me think more of Nicolas Winding Refn's Valhalla Rising, which is essentially the wilderness-adventure equivalent of such a D&D movie.

Hell yeah! I came *this* close to mentioning Valhalla Rising in my last post.

It's on Netflix streaming, watch it now if you haven't already, thread.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I would appreciate a piece of media depicting both the players bantering and playing IRL and the characters in the world of the game. Frankly I think a comic would be the ideal medium for this.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Simian_Prime posted:

Ghost Ship with a D&D aesthetic? I'm in.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

paradoxGentleman posted:

I would appreciate a piece of media depicting both the players bantering and playing IRL and the characters in the world of the game. Frankly I think a comic would be the ideal medium for this.
Have you read dm of the rings?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Splicer posted:

Have you read dm of the rings?

Yes I did, and yeah, I meant something of the sort.
I am not as much of a Tolkien fan as it is expected from tabletop enthusiasts, to tell the truth.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 8, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

I actually do think this would work super well in a film, but one that isn't The Gamers. There could be absolutely no drama revolving around the IRL group, that would kill it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

I actually do think this would work super well in a film, but one that isn't The Gamers. There could be absolutely no drama revolving around the IRL group, that would kill it.
So something kind of like the format of the princess bride?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wasn't my first thought, but yes exactly. Play the fantasy story straight and make it the center of the film, use the IRL group to poke fun at it and provide some sight gags. Princess Bride by way of MST3K.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

This discussion made me reread DM of the Rings, and holy poo poo is everyone much more of an rear end in a top hat that I remember. The GM is the most likeable character and he's completely tone deaf to what his fellow players want, which has got to be one of the cardinal sins of GMing.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

This discussion made me reread DM of the Rings, and holy poo poo is everyone much more of an rear end in a top hat that I remember. The GM is the most likeable character and he's completely tone deaf to what his fellow players want, which has got to be one of the cardinal sins of GMing.

Yeah, I think there's much more of an equitable player/GM relationship in Darths & Droids.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
DMotR is funnier though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Simian_Prime posted:

Imagine the Mines of Moria sequence from Fellowship padded out to 2 hours, with the entire party dying horribly before they can escape.

Then a second party goes down to follow rumors of the first. All except one dies, who we find out is the only one to survive to tell the tale.

The End! No moral!

The post-credits scene is a third party rolling up, stealing the bling off the front doors, and spending the proceeds paying down their bar debt.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

drrockso20 posted:

if anything gets done with this Redwall meets D&D idea, this better be a viable character option;

a necromouser

jadarx
May 25, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

It needs to be a Fell's Five movie. Those comics felt like part of the dialogue was from the characters and other parts were from the players.

But like most DnD things from that time, it was too good for this world and taken from us :(

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Let's cut down to the brass tacks here... Who do I gotta kill to get a Rat Queens movie made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bucnasti posted:

Let's cut down to the brass tacks here... Who do I gotta kill to get a Rat Queens movie made?
I just want another issue already.

• Locked thread