Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

yaay posted:

speaking of the cleaveland, should you be trying to land shells through the deck instead of the waterline when using AP because of its high firing arc?

When fighting at the edge of your range with AP you want to aim for the top edge of the deck and walk your fire up and down the ship(this is likely just rng making me crazy, but I swear you get more citadels this way then just trying to put all shots on the smoke stacks). This strat seem to work best against IJN CAs, and Pensacolas. It seem to never work vs other Clevelands, Omahas, or of course BBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Hazdoc posted:

Hmm, I'm not sure how the skill interacts with AA and secondary batteries. Those usually take damage and then are destroyed, they don't normally crit like other stuff. If the skill gives them a chance to avoid getting damaged, then its a lot better than I thought. But this is WG, so maybe it just magically does nothing. Who knows. There's no way to know when the skill is working, which is a problem.

It might even make things worse by keeping the AA guns around to take hp damage for longer. Who knows.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Pharnakes posted:

It might even make things worse by keeping the AA guns around to take hp damage for longer. Who knows.

You know, that makes me wonder. There are mods that increase the survivability of AA guns and Secondary batteries. Perhaps those mods can also have the side effect of making those mods cause more damage to you when crit? That would be hilarious if true.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also, is there any way to find out the range you have to be in for secondary guns to open up? The South Carolina I've been using finally started firing secondaries yesterday when I got within 2km of another battleship and that's literally the only time I've seen other guns on one of my ships open up.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Wade Wilson posted:

Also, is there any way to find out the range you have to be in for secondary guns to open up? The South Carolina I've been using finally started firing secondaries yesterday when I got within 2km of another battleship and that's literally the only time I've seen other guns on one of my ships open up.

If you expand the artillery tab on the ship stats panel in port, then hover over your secondary guns and it will tell you their maximum range. There are also captain skills and ship upgrades that can each add +20% to the range, and a signal flag you can run that makes them more accurate. At lower tiers though they have very bad range and accuracy so you can't really rely on them.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Are the FCS Upgrade worth it on battleship that already have 20km range ?
I rarely hit anything at those range with the North Rarolina anyway.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

did anyone else notice that they just changed the x1.5 symbol on your ship boxes to x2 now? Are they actually doubles now or is this just a UI tweak?

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Lakedaimon posted:

did anyone else notice that they just changed the x1.5 symbol on your ship boxes to x2 now? Are they actually doubles now or is this just a UI tweak?

It's a Aug 7-10 weekend deal - x2 for the first game. It's on WG site.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
So, the Yamato is a pretty bulky ship? How bulky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wY6zC8XMP4
That bulky.

Also, I finally bothered to get fraps and my video editor working again, so maybe I'll actually make a proper tutorial on something. :effort:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Well it's been fun, but due to the hell's brew of Two Brothers, paint-huffing idiots who legitimately think that "splitting the team" is a bad idea and all-in rushes are the only good strat, and the fact that retards still waste oxygen howling at WG (who will inevitably listen to them) about DDs being broken when they are easily less of an issue for literally any ship class than an HE-spamming cruiser or TB-heavy carrier, I think I'm going to take a very long break. Seriously, I have had about 10 matches in the past two days (and that's from maybe 30 games played) where my worthless idiot team all-inned one side of that infernally, irredeemably lovely map and our fighter-heavy carrier inexplicably thought he should send his fighters to cover the massive cruiser AA fuckball instead of the one or two battleships who missed the memo on the virtues of being a loving dolt and tried to shore up the other side.

I'm starting to miss WoT. Holy gently caress this game's playerbase is garbage.

e: In the interests of full disclosure, the event which sealed things off was me being left behind by all our cruisers, who stumbled over each other to gently caress off to the far corner of the map while I was still trying to catch up from an atrocious spawn. I was the first thing the enemy Essex saw and promptly had 65,000 of my 66,300 hitpoints deleted by two full spreads of impossible-to-evade torps and two dive bomber runs, along with basically any hope of being useful. Even using all of my repairs, I was only able to scrounge a quarter of them back, which in turn got removed by a mix of cruisers and battleships that, of course, charged straight up the undefended side of the map as my only companion (a Colorado) hosed off as well. My team folded and lost in 5 minutes flat.

Destroyers are fine, possibly too weak above tier 6-7, cruisers need to not be as effective at beginning fires as RAF Bomber Command (the raw damage per HE salvo is honestly fine, IMO), and carrier TBs need to be nerfed into the absolute loving ground. DBs are fine, in fact I'm glad they're a lot stronger now because if torps cop a nerf people might actually start using them again. BBs would be fine if it wasn't for being made of dry tinder and if TBs couldn't drop so loving close that they can basically ignore any evasive manoeuvres.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 7, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Hazdoc posted:

So, the Yamato is a pretty bulky ship? How bulky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wY6zC8XMP4
That bulky.

Also, I finally bothered to get fraps and my video editor working again, so maybe I'll actually make a proper tutorial on something. :effort:

When are you normally on? Playing higher tiers is absolutely painful by myself.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Hahahah yess just had a Minekaze game on the map with 4 cap points along the middle of the map (North?), where I was the ONLY PERSON on our team to go for C and D. Cap C, pop into D and find... another Minekaze and a Myogi. After like a 5 minute long 2v1 I took them both down 8)

Well, after the enemy Minekaze died, the Myogi had no chance in the 1v1. I was popping in and out of island cover and managed to bait him to follow me, after which I swung around and torped his rear end.

I've had games with way more kills but winning a legit 1v2, with everybody starting at full health and no prior warning, was a lot more satisfying.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

rossmum posted:

Well it's been fun, but due to the hell's brew of Two Brothers, paint-huffing idiots who legitimately think that "splitting the team" is a bad idea and all-in rushes are the only good strat, and the fact that retards still waste oxygen howling at WG (who will inevitably listen to them) about DDs being broken when they are easily less of an issue for literally any ship class than an HE-spamming cruiser or TB-heavy carrier, I think I'm going to take a very long break. Seriously, I have had about 10 matches in the past two days (and that's from maybe 30 games played) where my worthless idiot team all-inned one side of that infernally, irredeemably lovely map and our fighter-heavy carrier inexplicably thought he should send his fighters to cover the massive cruiser AA fuckball instead of the one or two battleships who missed the memo on the virtues of being a loving dolt and tried to shore up the other side.

I'm starting to miss WoT. Holy gently caress this game's playerbase is garbage.

e: In the interests of full disclosure, the event which sealed things off was me being left behind by all our cruisers, who stumbled over each other to gently caress off to the far corner of the map while I was still trying to catch up from an atrocious spawn. I was the first thing the enemy Essex saw and promptly had 65,000 of my 66,300 hitpoints deleted by two full spreads of impossible-to-evade torps and two dive bomber runs, along with basically any hope of being useful. Even using all of my repairs, I was only able to scrounge a quarter of them back, which in turn got removed by a mix of cruisers and battleships that, of course, charged straight up the undefended side of the map as my only companion (a Colorado) hosed off as well. My team folded and lost in 5 minutes flat.

And even if the retardo-blob reaches the enemy cap, they usually fail because the other team splits up and is able to reset the cap long enough for their own, unopposed cap to go through (unopposed because the 1-2 non-idiots can only slow them down for so long before succumbing to HE superior numbers).

But hey, SAFETY IN NUMBERS! *entire team cowers in a single domination point*

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 7, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Took me like 10 minutes to kill full hp Kongo with Cleveland 1v1 all the while getting zero help. I did get hit by two shells but survived with 25k hp. My team was winning and all we had to do was run for 2 minutes, except one idiot went down the canal (Two Brothers map) and got torped to death so the score flipped and I only got lousy 900 base xp :argh: Always that one person who fails the entire team.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

El Disco posted:

And even if the retardo-blob reaches the enemy cap, they usually fail because the other team splits up and is able to reset the cap long enough for their own, unopposed cap to go through (unopposed because the 1-2 non-idiots can only slow them down for so long before succumbing to HE superior numbers).

But hey, SAFETY IN NUMBERS! *entire team cowers in a single domination point*

Why WG thought it would be a good idea to make a map which forces you to commit to one side or the other with absolutely no hope of intervening if something stupid happens on the opposite flank is beyond me.

Wait, no it's not, it's WG.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

wdarkk posted:

I'll be on fairly often this weekend, started it off right. Also, I pick up a real looking fog name and now all the bad guys ignore me, i've been raking in the exp and kills on easy mode. :getin:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Michi88 posted:

I'll be on fairly often this weekend, started it off right. Also, I pick up a real looking fog name and now all the bad guys ignore me, i've been raking in the exp and kills on easy mode. :getin:

Holy gently caress. That's almost twice as much XP as I've ever gotten in one game with the Ibuki. The Iowa really seems to be the best tier 9. I feel like I get killed by Iowas constantly.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Wade Wilson posted:

Am I wrong to hate the South Carolina? The match is always over by the time I get anywhere, good loving god it's slow.

Every match, someone is all "CAP A" and when everyone listens and I'm following them, they've capped A and moved on to B before I even get halfway, so I turn toward B, but then that spot is capped and they're cruising on to C while I'm just sitting there all :wtf:

Had a match yesterday where this was happening and my team was getting slaughtered at B while my SC was puttering it's way toward B at 20 knots (top speed), then pubbies are yelling "Hurry the gently caress up, WW, christ!" and my "This is the top speed for this ship, guys." remarks are ignored and people just spend the match swearing in chat about the ship being useless.

Also, no AA on the ship, so any match with a carrier on the enemy team results in me being sunk in short order after being spotted.
Ignore the caps and just go full speed straight at the enemy spawn or the closest group of spotted enemies until you're in range. If you can get away with it and you aren't top tier, prioritize shooting HE at destroyers that are higher tier than you - it rewards more experience than anything else.
You have no defense against carriers other than hoping they don't target you or are terrible, it's a common characteristic of many ships.

rossmum posted:

the fact that retards still waste oxygen howling at WG (who will inevitably listen to them) about DDs being broken

They're not wrong.
higher tier destroyers are weak enough to qualify as broken

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

Ehhhhh, I get on at weird times. Last night I was on at around 11pm central. I hop on TS whenever I'm up for games, though. Unless I'm trying out some sky cancer, then I usually play solo to avoid letting the cancer spread.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw some idiot make an accusation of aimbotting against someone else (let alone me). HE HIT ME 3 TIMES WHILE I WAS TURNING! AIMBOT! AIMBOT!

The guy in this case didn't even die or anything, in fact he barely lost any hitpoints. He just decided he should spend all game arguing about how aimbots are a thing and he "smelled" one because someone in a cruiser hit him three times in the same general area while he was turning.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Hazdoc posted:

You know, that makes me wonder. There are mods that increase the survivability of AA guns and Secondary batteries. Perhaps those mods can also have the side effect of making those mods cause more damage to you when crit? That would be hilarious if true.
Is the whole "knocking out AA guns does damage" just some bullshit conjure you dreamed up or is there actual proof that it happens because I've plenty of times knocked out AA guns while doing zero damage

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The game is infinitely better if you can platoon up, but yeah, the map design leave a lot wish for. Not to mention the absurd frequency with which you will get stuck in a loop of the same map over and over. gently caress know how WG manage that in WoT and this. I've never seen a game like it apart from MWO, and that was explicitly because they would bias new maps in the rotation to a ridiculous degree.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

wdarkk posted:

Holy gently caress. That's almost twice as much XP as I've ever gotten in one game with the Ibuki. The Iowa really seems to be the best tier 9. I feel like I get killed by Iowas constantly.

I think it goes to a good set of guns / shape of the ship. I had to fight the Nagato and one of the NC at the same time, but thanks to the Iowa armor setup I bounced something like 85% of hits. Also, my last game before work I ram killed a Montana in a NC 10/10.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The game is infinitely better if you can platoon up, but yeah, the map design leave a lot wish for. Not to mention the absurd frequency with which you will get stuck in a loop of the same map over and over. gently caress know how WG manage that in WoT and this. I've never seen a game like it apart from MWO, and that was explicitly because they would bias new maps in the rotation to a ridiculous degree.

All the maps are tier restricted, so there are only a few valid maps per battle tier. It's probably to prevent high tier matches on the tiny low tier maps and similar. They could just adjust map scale based on battle tier, but they're Wargaming.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

rossmum posted:

Why WG thought it would be a good idea to make a map which forces you to commit to one side or the other with absolutely no hope of intervening if something stupid happens on the opposite flank is beyond me.

Wait, no it's not, it's WG.
And good luck getting retards to wait to commit until destroyers or carriers see which way the enemy is going. "This battleship only goes 20 knots so I need a headstart" followed by "I'm halfway to the enemy base. I can't turn back now!" :commissar:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
What -are- battleships supposed to do? Lead the charge against the main blob? (in case of single objective maps) Just go to a point and camp it and shoot anything that comes near?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Exergy posted:

It's a Aug 7-10 weekend deal - x2 for the first game. It's on WG site.

FYI it appears they didn't bother to reset the XP bonus tags. I played some games with the regular 1.5x bonus last night and those ships have not gotten the 2x bonus today. Hopefully they will after the next daily reset.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Razzled posted:

What -are- battleships supposed to do? Lead the charge against the main blob? (in case of single objective maps) Just go to a point and camp it and shoot anything that comes near?

It depends on the map, but it's generally a good idea to have at least one battleship supporting each side. If the enemy team groups all their battleships together, then the battleships on the "empty" side should turn back to help the stacked side while the CAs and DDs keep going. Or if you're in something fast like a Kongo you can keep going with them. This is why it's great when your team's DDs and planes spot the majority of the enemy team early on, because it lets those on your team that can read a loving minimap know where to go. Precisely because they're so slow, battleship players need to stay on top of the overall situation so that they can adjust their course as soon as possible.

The wost thing is when some battleships commit to a side but it's virtually empty and they slowly keep going. They get to sail around enjoying the scenery and might as well not exist for the next 5-10 minutes until they re-engage.

tl:dr - battleships need to go to where the fight is. Leave the flanking to cruisers and destroyers. A battleship that's not shooting its guns is a sad battleship.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 7, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'd rather the pubbies on the other team keep their battleships nice and isolated. My little carrier needs a steady diet of isolated battleships and tunnel visioned carriers to grow big and strong.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Panfilo posted:

I'd rather the pubbies on the other team keep their battleships nice and isolated. My little carrier needs a steady diet of isolated battleships and tunnel visioned carriers to grow big and strong.

Thats what a bomber mod bogue teaches you, stay on your toes and you'll be able to carry matches versus two other carriers easily. Torpedo bombers are really loving dangerous once you get the manual aim thing down, i won't be surprised if those get nerfed.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Michi88 posted:

Please use a FOG_SomaliPirate_ variant for max troll value. They are not amused at my staining their immersion with that nic. I even got a message from an alleged commander about it but gently caress them.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
FOG_Anime_Is_For_Children

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FOG_VikingFuneral_Bismarck

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Filthiest Alf posted:

It seems weird to judge a player's skill based on their win rate doesn't it? There's essentially nothing you can do on your own to win a match if your team decides it's going to lose in this game...
I think the theory is that all things being equal your chance of having a good team is the same as anyone elses. So the only thing that can influence changing the outcome of a match is you over time. Personally I think it's a little more complicated than that but it has become a metric for how good you are.

I would look at average experience per battle myself.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Seems like the Tirpitz at least is in the game now. Run into one 2 rounds in a row. Or have they been around for awhile and I just never noticed.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 7, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

Seems like the Tirpitz at least is in the game now. Run into one 2 rounds in a row. Or have they been around for awhile and I just never noticed.

They're definitely in the game now, as I ran into one earlier as well, but going from the chat in that match it's still supertesters only.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I ran into a FOG dude with cruiser in his name but he was playing a battleship, my immersion! :argh:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

All the ones I've seen use "Fog_" not "FOG_" :shrug:

Bought an Omaha. Is it just me, or is this thing waaaaay better than the Phoenix at making citadel hits?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
FOG is yet another way of my differentiating myself from the lesser desireable Fog clan because everyone knows ALL CAPS means my clan has the better clan tag.

I am gleefully anticipating tonight being able to run into some Foggets so if you see me on soloing and want a piece of the action by all means lets troll away.

10th I like that VikingFuneral spin on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
FOG_Dinghy_Toucher
FOG_Dinghy_Puller
FOG_Dinghy_Sucker
etc