Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Doc Morbid posted:

I don't think I've ever used the speed up/slow down functions, so I didn't even remember those existed until it was pointed out here. :shrug: I just skip the boring crap.
The trouble with tutorial stuff is that it's usually just a video of a screen with the person talking about the stuff, so I have to still be able to hear the audio to know when they're talking about the stuff I need to know since there are no visual cues. Skipping around leads to skipping steps and skipping steps leads to still-busted video editing software! Or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm a giant pussy who got really tense and scared for like ten minutes thinking i was going to die from a pot randomly falling of a shelf earlier, and i will never play a fnaf game in my life, so people like us do exist

Why aren't you making the big bucks on Youtube showing off your fear skills then?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

Why aren't you making the big bucks on Youtube showing off your fear skills then?

because i dont want to be spooked by furry monsters. im too scared to

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I can't believe that I'm going to write this but… I do respect PDP a bit more after reading that Kotaku article because it seemed to me like he actually has passion for what he does. Granted, he makes enough bank that he doesn't really need to fake it for the money anymore but still, good on you Pewdie. :unsmith:

Markiplier is still the most pandering trash though.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Franky I don't even know what you mean when you say "pandering"; there are people who want something, that something being exaggerated reactions to jumpscares, and he provides it. It's not at all different from people asking for insightful commentary or excellent speedrunning strats, unless you find it morally objectionable for some reason.

I'd add that Markiplier is also generally a good dude.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Is there no "Watch Later" button on the new Youtube player?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Nope! I mentioned it earlier. You now have to scroll down to above the video description and click "Add To"(it's the big +) and choose Watch Later there.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Are there any other sizeable let's play communities outside of SA? I'd think there has to be but my google fu is weak.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
There's a place I used to visit called Let's Play Forum, but it was pretty small and I'm not sure if it's still active these days.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

dscruffy1 posted:

Are there any other sizeable let's play communities outside of SA? I'd think there has to be but my google fu is weak.

The Let's Play subreddit. Here's a snippet:

quote:

I bought the blue yeti microphone and find the quality to be poor, or better yet complete random. Some of the videos will sound perfect and what I expect, but others (well most of the time) will sound garbage. I even considered going back to the IPhone because it's consistent.

Great stuff!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

inthesto posted:

There's a place I used to visit called Let's Play Forum, but it was pretty small and I'm not sure if it's still active these days.

It still exists and is barely active. Its userbase is mostly goons. Most of them not overly active on SA.
At this specific point in time every LPF Let's Play is also on SA as far as I can tell.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Franky I don't even know what you mean when you say "pandering"; there are people who want something, that something being exaggerated reactions to jumpscares, and he provides it. It's not at all different from people asking for insightful commentary or excellent speedrunning strats, unless you find it morally objectionable for some reason.

I'd add that Markiplier is also generally a good dude.

Mainly, it's that he has the voice and talent to do really good stuff but defaults to the exaggerated jumpscare school of LP. Don't get me wrong, it's a smart decision and it brings audiences and money, and is the smart thing to do in his situation. I just would like to see him make the kind of LP that I enjoy which I realize is incredibly selfish and not something I wish that he'd actually do.

I also can't stand the whole "No matter who you are, you're doing great and I hope you have an amazing day uwu" thing that he seems to do a lot. :shrug:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

inthesto posted:

We still exist. But the overlap with goons is like 90% or something.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the world's first synthetic let's play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ErUhZw1_y0

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

F. Lobot posted:

The creativity of Game Grumps fans knows no limits. :allears:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

F. Lobot posted:

This is the same kind of person that buys those anime videos for eating dinner and sleeping with.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

watho posted:

Mainly, it's that he has the voice and talent to do really good stuff but defaults to the exaggerated jumpscare school of LP. Don't get me wrong, it's a smart decision and it brings audiences and money, and is the smart thing to do in his situation. I just would like to see him make the kind of LP that I enjoy which I realize is incredibly selfish and not something I wish that he'd actually do.

I also can't stand the whole "No matter who you are, you're doing great and I hope you have an amazing day uwu" thing that he seems to do a lot. :shrug:

ar u really complaining about sosmeone being nice here

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jamesman posted:

This is the same kind of person that buys those anime videos for eating dinner and sleeping with.

He's not doing it because he is creepy, he's doing it for fun, check his other vids. The Only Arin one is funny because it's kinda depressing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ4ZNEkqDT4

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

He's not doing it because he is creepy, he's doing it for fun, check his other vids. The Only Arin one is funny because it's kinda depressing:

Wow that's a really creepy video without the other guy.

E: I realize I knew nothing of the whole GameGrumps drama over Jon vs Arin and just took a look at it. Internet LP drama is insanely dumb.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 7, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Stux posted:

Sure, why not?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stux posted:

He's from Jersey.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

He's from Jersey.

Please don't doxx me. :mad:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Golden Goat posted:

Wow that's a really creepy video without the other guy.

E: I realize I knew nothing of the whole GameGrumps drama over Jon vs Arin and just took a look at it. Internet LP drama is insanely dumb.

The best part is its not even drama (jon moved to new york to be with his girlfriend and the rest of them were like "k cool good luck man"), game grumps fans are just psychotic

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In fact, Jon and Arin are still friends and he even said on either reddit or his twitter the other day that he and Jon hang out whenever he's in town. It's not even Game Grumps fans specifically; fans of major let's play people are just crazy sometimes. And the larger the fan base is, the higher crazy-person-per-capita you will have on your hands.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

In fact, Jon and Arin are still friends and he even said on either reddit or his twitter the other day that he and Jon hang out whenever he's in town. It's not even Game Grumps fans specifically; fans of major let's play people are just crazy sometimes. And the larger the fan base is, the higher crazy-person-per-capita you will have on your hands.

If America's wealth were distributed among the people with mental health evaluations easily affordable, the insanity wouldn't be so severe. Land of the free, home of the obsessed. :anarchists:

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Monicro posted:

The best part is its not even drama (jon moved to new york to be with his girlfriend and the rest of them were like "k cool good luck man"), game grumps fans are just psychotic

Sorry in advance for the needless correction.

That was the official line, but they've kinda implied since then that it wasn't a clean breakup. Totalbiscuit couldn't keep his drat mouth shut so I guess they had to say something.

It's obviously personal regardless. They don't wish to share it and the fans should respect that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

What's REALLY depressing is that gameplay. I had to check out the rest of the Mario 64 videos to see how bad Arin is at it, and good god is he bad. Danny's still a joy to listen to though, especially when he is insulting Arin for being terrible at a 20-year-old baby game for babies.

But while checking out the videos, I notice they were calling out to a "Kevin" for editing stuff into the videos instead of Barry. Did Barry leave at some point now?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jamesman posted:

What's REALLY depressing is that gameplay. I had to check out the rest of the Mario 64 videos to see how bad Arin is at it, and good god is he bad. Danny's still a joy to listen to though, especially when he is insulting Arin for being terrible at a 20-year-old baby game for babies.

But while checking out the videos, I notice they were calling out to a "Kevin" for editing stuff into the videos instead of Barry. Did Barry leave at some point now?

Barry is still there, it's just that there's more videos that need to edited and Barry is on camera fairly often so they have another dude helping out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jamesman posted:

Barry didn't leave, no, they just hired a second person.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013
I have to say that PewDiePie has gotten better. I still can't stand watching him but he has really toned down his acting and it's mostly just stupid jokes and funny voices at this point and there's nothing wrong with that; it just doesn't appeal to me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Samiz posted:

I have to say that PewDiePie has gotten better. I still can't stand watching him but he has really toned down his acting and it's mostly just stupid jokes and funny voices at this point and there's nothing wrong with that; it just doesn't appeal to me.

Well that's good.

Shame he still dropped out of college to do this poo poo though.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
He's making $4 million a year.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

judge reinhold posted:

He's making $4 million a year.

There's a good chance he'll be fine, but look at Pewdiepie's videos and tell me this is a man who will be responsible with money

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There's a good chance he'll be fine, but look at Pewdiepie's videos and tell me this is a man who will be responsible with money

It would only make me love him more if, in fact, he were totally irresponsible with his money. Some examples:
1. Personal Theme Park
2. Monkey named "Bubbles" (classic joke here)
3. Animated Series

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

judge reinhold posted:

It would only make me love him more if, in fact, he were totally irresponsible with his money. Some examples:
1. Personal Theme Park
2. Monkey named "Bubbles" (classic joke here)
3. Animated Series

I don't like this new "self-service" approach to posting. Please tell the classic joke about the Monkey named Bubbles, I want to be entertained here.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't like this new "self-service" approach to posting. Please tell the classic joke about the Monkey named Bubbles, I want to be entertained here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubbles_(chimpanzee)

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

My apologies. Michael Jackson was a pop singer in the 80's and 90's who eventually became an infamous eccentric millionaire from the money he earned from his very popular music career. Among the long list of "crazy" things attributed to the man was a monkey he apparently owned named Bubbles. And so it fell into the pop-culture lexicon of the day that whenever someone was described as a crazy rich guy, often the humorous implication of monkey-ownership followed.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"revealed that Bubbles was thought of by the singer as his first child"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
And bubbles was the name of the girl next door!

Thats how the joke went right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

judge reinhold posted:

My apologies. Michael Jackson was a pop singer in the 80's and 90's who eventually became an infamous eccentric millionaire from the money he earned from his very popular music career. Among the long list of "crazy" things attributed to the man was a monkey he apparently owned named Bubbles. And so it fell into the pop-culture lexicon of the day that whenever someone was described as a crazy rich guy, often the humorous implication of monkey-ownership followed.

Can we make an internet petition to have PewDiePie adopt a pet monkey named Buttercup? I want to see the spirit of the King of Pop live on in his most worthy successor.

• Locked thread