Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

VideoGames posted:

i am having tons of fun with animal crossing new leaf. are all the animal crossings like this?

also the 3DS is now my favourite handheld. it feels really good, the little joystick things are cool to use and the eshop is adorable. are there any 3DS specific things I should have?

Yeah, though as odd as it sounds I don't suggest playing the wii or ds one but the gamecube one instead. Villagers personalities are a lot more memorable in that game (they got toned down a LOT) and it's loaded with NES games and other things you can get. Some stuff is super annoying like having to mail off fossils to get them checked but really it's probably the second best.

Snooty villagers are vicious in that game.

DS one removes the NES games but gives more furniture and whatnot and I think introduces emotes and streamlines a couple things, Wii one is literally just a upscaled version of the DS one with a super mediocre "city" aspect which is basically the town strip in new leaf but round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Golden Sun 2 is on the VC, it's been out for ages in PAL-land and it just came out in NA today.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, though as odd as it sounds I don't suggest playing the wii or ds one but the gamecube one instead. Villagers personalities are a lot more memorable in that game (they got toned down a LOT) and it's loaded with NES games and other things you can get. Some stuff is super annoying like having to mail off fossils to get them checked but really it's probably the second best.

Snooty villagers are vicious in that game.

DS one removes the NES games but gives more furniture and whatnot and I think introduces emotes and streamlines a couple things, Wii one is literally just a upscaled version of the DS one with a super mediocre "city" aspect which is basically the town strip in new leaf but round.

is the gamecube one on the eshop/VC or is it a console i should get at some point? (maybe i'll collect everything nintendo from now on)

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Golden Sun 2 is on the VC, it's been out for ages in PAL-land and it just came out in NA today.

Oh I didn't even realize the sequel was out on VC at all. I guess I should have figured they wouldn't have stopped with the first one.

VideoGames posted:

is the gamecube one on the eshop/VC or is it a console i should get at some point? (maybe i'll collect everything nintendo from now on)

There are no gamecube games on the VC. So the only way you're going to play it is through homebrew or on a gamecube/wii.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

VideoGames posted:

i am having tons of fun with animal crossing new leaf. are all the animal crossings like this?

also the 3DS is now my favourite handheld. it feels really good, the little joystick things are cool to use and the eshop is adorable. are there any 3DS specific things I should have?
There's a 3DS thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700920

I mean it's basically the same posters as in here but still.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I enjoyed Golden Sun when I was first getting into JRPGs and played through both games twice, I like them. The plot and wriiting is much how everyone described though, and is probably why I couldn't bring myself to finish the third game which came out far too long after the first two to be relevant.

The actual gameplay mechanics are decent though, dungeons are heavily puzzle based and are mostly well designed from what I recall.

The djinn system is cool and offers a discrete class system that is highly customisable, but is gated behind some annoying catch-em-all nonsense and some of them are missable. All the summons are kinda cool in a power rangers kinda way too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Non-Gamecom news: Nintendo Japan is doing a stream on Friday evening JST that'll feature Smash, Splatoon and Mario Maker being played by "various guests" ie Japanese internet celebrities you don't care about. The Mario Maker segment will feature the Nintendo World Championship stages as well as stages made by Arino from Game Center CX.

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv230327453

This is starting pretty soon, here's the timetable:

100-player online Smash tournament - 7:20 Eastern / :12:20 UK

Splatoon Squad Battle with Squid Research Lab - 8:30 Eastern / 1:30 UK

Mario Maker challenge with Arino/NWC stages - 9:35 Eastern / 2:35 UK

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Nintendo Germany is streaming stuff from Gamescom convention. Currently running some kind of domestic Smash Bros. tournament.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

VideoGames posted:

do you have boxboy yet

if not please buy boxboy

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I played Golden Sun a lot as a kid and liked it a ton. A few years ago I started using SA and realized lot of people hated it. I thought for sure they must have all been crazy as I remember the game being tons of fun!! So I checked out Quovak's LP to refresh my memory.

You know what? Golden Sun is a pretty alright game.

for the gameboy advance

in the year 2000

for 12-year olds

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've never played Golden Sun, but I remember from an archived LP of it that apparently first one's script has 70,000 words in it (not counting NPC text) while Metal Gear Solid 1 has 36,000 and Metal Gear Solid 2 has 47,000 (Neither of these include optional codec conversations) and that is just mind boggling to me.

For the record, MGS2 has like a 40 minute cutscene about meme theory before the final boss.

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.
Golden Sun is great if you play it on an emulator with a fast-forward function.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You probably shouldn't play the first AC if New Leaf is your first one. There are a lot of small things that will bug the hell out of you if you don't live for nostalgia.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Just play the newest AC.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kaubocks posted:

I played Golden Sun a lot as a kid and liked it a ton. A few years ago I started using SA and realized lot of people hated it. I thought for sure they must have all been crazy as I remember the game being tons of fun!! So I checked out Quovak's LP to refresh my memory.

for the gameboy advance

in the year 2000

for 12-year olds

There are lots of genuinely fun/neat things about Golden Sun that you barely get to enjoy because the characters never ever ever shut the gently caress up.

Lufia 2 is Golden Sun done right (and like 8 years earlier).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

AC is kind of like pokemon. Is there a newer one? Play that (doesn't apply to spinoffs)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
well i am loving being Mayor Bumble of the town Pripyat in new leaf. i have 3D shades and am selling shells for bells!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Nintendo Germany is showing off Mario Tennis Super Smash gameplay on their twitch channel.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Kaubocks posted:

for the gameboy advance

in the year 2000

for 12-year olds

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Moltrey posted:

I've never played Golden Sun, but I remember from an archived LP of it that apparently first one's script has 70,000 words in it (not counting NPC text) while Metal Gear Solid 1 has 36,000 and Metal Gear Solid 2 has 47,000 (Neither of these include optional codec conversations) and that is just mind boggling to me.

For the record, MGS2 has like a 40 minute cutscene about meme theory before the final boss.

Haha, I was playing through it for the first time a couple of years ago on the HD collection and my wife and I were getting ready to go to dinner, I said "alright I just beat this hard section, I'll save after this cutscene". So we waited forty minutes because it was so loving crazy she couldn't turn away either and had to see what would happen and when it would possibly end. I was too scared to try and pause the cutscene because I had no idea if pressing start would skip it or not.
I love MGS so much now, in going to have to buy a Bone or PS4.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

When I was a kid I played Golden Sun: The Lost Age without having played the original and thought it was great. But then I tried playing the first game to see what I missed and didn't think it was very good. Even disregarding the bad writing, the original Golden Sun feels like a pretty incomplete game being all of 10 hours long and not really having a whole lot to see. The sequel still has tons of bad writing, but it was way more fun just because there was so much more to explore. If they released it on the Virtual Console I would totally jump on it.

The second one reminded of Dragon Warrior 2 in that "welp, here's a boat, we're not going to tell you where to go, what to do, or give you a map to get there, spend 20 hours wandering around and figuring that poo poo out yourself" way. The same thing happened with the first Wild Arms game (maybe the sequels too, I never got far enough without being bored in them), what is with that in jRPGs. Do they just really need to pad out playtime or what?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Mario voice guy is too goofy for his own good. Gets a bit grating, but you can't hate him.

It's both hilarious and sad that Nintendo Germany is doing all of this for 700 viewers.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaubocks posted:

for the gameboy advance

in the year 2000

for 12-year olds

Pretty much. Was a good jrpg for its time and it had good sprites with cool monsters/summons

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Everybody should buy Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga instead.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

bef posted:

Pretty much. Was a good jrpg for its time and it had good sprites with cool monsters/summons

It is still pretty impressive what they did on the GBA, even though it looks really bad blown up to TV-size.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Jarogue posted:

Everybody should buy Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga instead.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Saoshyant posted:

The Mario voice guy is too goofy for his own good. Gets a bit grating, but you can't hate him.

It's both hilarious and sad that Nintendo Germany is doing all of this for 700 viewers.

Have you seen his Vine account? All he does is go around conventions with little Mario and Luigi figures and he speaks in character over the whole thing. It's wonderful:
https://vine.co/u/1114052811714400256

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

SRM posted:

Have you seen his Vine account? All he does is go around conventions with little Mario and Luigi figures and he speaks in character over the whole thing. It's wonderful:
https://vine.co/u/1114052811714400256

He is the oldest and happiest nerd probably on the planet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Who do you think will die first, Charles Martinet or Miyamoto?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

greatn posted:

You, by my sword.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The worst thing about Golden Sun is that it ends just as the puzzles/encounters/story is starting to get kind of interesting, and then GS2 and the DS one never really reach that peak again.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

greatn posted:

Charles Martinet is the only actor who has played Mario who is still alive, to my knowledge. That being said, they could reuse his voice clips for the next hundred years and nobody would know the difference, since there's so many WAHOOS and HOOWAS to go around. They've been using the same Toad noises since Galaxy at the very least.

Miyamoto can never die, he's a magical little elf.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

greatn posted:

please do not say such things

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I had to. People heaping praise on him was dangerous. By raising the specter of death I've actually protected them both for years.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Pretty weird to hear Charles Martinet not speaking in the weird WAHOO Mario voice in Runner 2.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

VideoGames posted:

They are, but there's really no reason to go back to the older versions. New Animal Crossing games are basically "the old games, but more better."

Also if you haven't already, please check out the dedicated Animal Crossing thread!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If I could pay like $60 to just unlock every SNES rom ever to play on the Wii u that would be cool

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Xenoblade on Wii U also works with the gamepad.

Hmmmmm this might push me over the edge

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If I could pay like $60 to just unlock every SNES rom ever to play on the Wii u that would be cool

You can pay $60 for a PSP or Ouya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You can pay no money and do this

• Locked thread