Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

VitalSigns posted:

Getting Spain to withdraw from Iraq was a legitimate military goal, so the Madrid train station attacks were justified. Apparently.

How many people was Spain killing in Iraq?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This is kind of a stretch though. By that rationality kidnapping 100 civilians and leaving their headless bodies hanging from bridges is a legimate military end

If its 100 nazis or imperial japanese, it is!

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If demonstrations of willingness and capability for violence are legitimate as military action where do we draw the line?

Demonstrations of willingness and capability for violence is basically the entire point of war at any level.

yamomami raiding parties to scalpings to village burnings to WW2 bombings to drone strikes to ISIS beheadings.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 7, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Miltank posted:

Demonstrations of willingness and capability for violence is basically the entire point of war at any level.

So then all terrorism is legitimate as military action?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Only when done by us, the good guys

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yes, nobody wants to accuse the japanese of being too rational

in this context it makes a lot more sense to assume that the USSR closing off possible escape routes to avoid war crimes prosecution carried far more weight than the americans coming up with a new way of murdering the masses from above

You have to ignore all documentary evidence, as well as that of the Nazis, to ascribe the actions of the government to coldly rational decision-making. It wasn't, and that you need to try to accuse that as being racist demonstrates what a weak position that is. The Nazis were far less rational when it came to surrender - likely, because they had no figurehead like the Emperor who could sack Hitler.

People aren't coldly rational and the wars were being waged by small groups of people and the decision to surrender lay with small groups of people. You need to look at the actual people involved to understand what happened.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

vintagepurple posted:

Well if that nazis did it then it's definitely ok. Shoulda gassed those japs instead of just locking them in.

Everyone did it. That doesn't make it right. But that's what happened buttercup.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So basically the only principled limitation on the use of violence is the practical ability to use it?

And the theoretical effectiveness of the violence.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 7, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

People aren't coldly rational and the wars were being waged by small groups of people and the decision to surrender lay with small groups of people. You need to look at the actual people involved to understand what happened.

yes, and when we look at the actual people involved we can see that they were far more concerned with the USSR than with the atomic bombs. you keep ignoring this because it doesn't fit your argument

you're sticking to this argument that the japanese were more irrational than the nazis based on _______________? so it's odd for you to bring up documentary evidence when you don't have any

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If demonstrations of willingness and capability for violence are legitimate as military action where do we draw the line?

At the demonstrations that bring a less quick end to the war than the lives they cost justify, but I don't know why you want me to state that tautology out loud.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Miltank posted:

There is literally no difference between terrorism and military action.

So basically the only principled limitation on the use of violence is the practical ability to use it?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

crabcakes66 posted:

Everyone did it. That doesn't make it right. But that's what happened buttercup.

Yeah, you don't have a war where 80 million people die, 1/2 of them civilians, and there isn't massive amounts of war crimes going down.

So again, why the gently caress are Hiroshima and Nagasaki special?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

How many people was Spain killing in Iraq?

It was part of a war effort that killed 150,000 civilians (conservatively estimated), the Madrid train bombings only killed 191 people.

Now you could say "oh but Spain wasn't responsible for all the deaths of the war they were fighting (probably more than 191 though!) but how many deaths was a Japanese schoolchild in Nagasaki responsible for?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The only difference between terrorism and military action is the nation-state-hood (or lack of which) of the perpetrators.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chantilly Say posted:

At the demonstrations that bring a less quick end to the war than the lives they cost justify, but I don't know why you want me to state that tautology out loud.

So there is a clear definition of how and why you draw boundaries between actions. Its important to have a clear idea of exactly where a person stands if you are going to discuss something this controversial.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

I just want to know where in the tens of millions of civilian deaths during wwII do the few hundred thousand nuke deaths rank on the shame list. I need to know how much I should hate the countries who stopped Tojo & Hitler. Thanks :)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, you don't have a war where 80 million people die, 1/2 of them civilians, and there isn't massive amounts of war crimes going down.

So again, why the gently caress are Hiroshima and Nagasaki special?

I've answered this boring-rear end question several times: no one is defending the other war crimes thus there's no controversy thus no argument over it.

You're welcome to start a new thread of you really really want to get a good debate going on whether the Rape of Nanking was, in fact, bad?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

You have to ignore all documentary evidence, as well as that of the Nazis, to ascribe the actions of the government to coldly rational decision-making. It wasn't, and that you need to try to accuse that as being racist demonstrates what a weak position that is. The Nazis were far less rational when it came to surrender - likely, because they had no figurehead like the Emperor who could sack Hitler.

You keep referencing this documentary evidence but so far you've failed to produce any to support your points, as opposed to the other side of the argument which has a well-reasoned and documented case. Your case seems to boil down to "well, the japanese were really, really evil, and therefore they can't be rational and this proves something and therefore I'm right".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Junkyard Poodle posted:

I just want to know where in the tens of millions of civilian deaths during wwII do the few hundred thousand nuke deaths rank on the shame list. I need to know how much I should hate the countries who stopped Tojo & Hitler. Thanks :)

Being the better side of a conflict does not invalidate criticism of behavior.

You can say "it is objectively a good thing we won but many of the actions we took to win were still unethical"

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

VitalSigns posted:

I've answered this boring-rear end question several times: no one is defending the other war crimes thus there's no controversy thus no argument over it.

You're welcome to start a new thread of you really really want to get a good debate going on whether the Rape of Nanking was, in fact, bad?

Is a war crime ever justifiable though?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yes, and when we look at the actual people involved we can see that they were far more concerned with the USSR than with the atomic bombs. you keep ignoring this because it doesn't fit your argument

you're sticking to this argument that the japanese were more irrational than the nazis based on _______________? so it's odd for you to bring up documentary evidence when you don't have any

My post you quoted specifically said the Japanese were more rational than the Nazis. If two paragraphs give you that much trouble, I'm going to be pretty skeptical of your interpretation of any historical document longer than a sentence.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I've learned that calling war criminals, war criminals is in itself, justice. They may never be punished, but by tarnishing their legally unsullied name, in some way they didn't get away with it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

My post you quoted specifically said the Japanese were more rational than the Nazis. If two paragraphs give you that much trouble, I'm going to be pretty skeptical of your interpretation of any historical document longer than a sentence.

to be honest i'm not reading your posts that closely as soon as you start questioning the mental abilities of the japanese given how many people itt are evoking battaltions of schoolgirls banzai charging the beachhead etc.

i mean once we assume historical figures are irrational what's the point of evidence at all, might as well just make poo poo up woo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You can say "it is objectively a good thing we won but many of the actions we took to win were still unethical"

I think we can acknowledge we did bad things. But thats war.

Wars changed a lot.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

I think we can acknowledge we did bad things. But thats war.

Wars changed a lot.

Sometimes you can't get a nation you're at war with to surrender without committing a few war crimes. :sigh:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

to be honest i'm not reading your posts that closely as soon as you start questioning the mental abilities of the japanese given how many people itt are evoking battaltions of schoolgirls banzai charging the beachhead etc.

This isn't exactly undermining evilweasel's case that your reading comprehension is so bad that other people shouldn't take any analysis you produce seriously

Edit: especially before you ninja edited the bit where you accused him of calling the Japanese irrational out

LGD fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 7, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

this is arguably the whole thread's thesis

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LGD posted:

This isn't exactly undermining evilweasel's case that your reading comprehension is so bad that other people shouldn't take any analysis you produce seriously

i too change my understanding of historic events based on forums grudges

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A Winner is Jew posted:

Sometimes you can't get a nation you're at war with to surrender without committing a few war crimes. :sigh:

Strategic Bombing was not a war crime at the time.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Agreed, but I just want to know how unethical on a relative basis vs an absolute. I have a finite amount of shame I can feel, so I want to properly attribute it to each warcrime of WWII.

Also, being on the winning side of a total war does validate all of your actions on a nation state contemporary comparison basis.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A Winner is Jew posted:

I think it's arguable that committing war crimes in WWII was justifiable, given the options available. While the strategic bombing was a war crime, it was directed at a legitimate end - the destruction of the Axis powers. Most of the horrific crimes committed by the Axis in WWII were just sort of pointless: Hitler's insane crimes against civilians in the invasion of the USSR, for example, turned off many groups that might have allied with the Germans against Stalin.

But justifying it in that way requires accepting that it was wrong, and that it's only that it was the least wrong option that makes it justifiable. I think that - with the exception of the terror bombing aimed solely at destroying axis morale by killing civilians - the strategic bombing campaigns are arguably justifiable because lengthening the war would probably have resulted in more killings, and the inhumanity of the Axis regimes didn't allow for sitting back and doing nothing. But part of making that choice is paying the price and accepting that we did something gravely wrong. The people who say it was wrong are correct - they may be wrong about what the other options were and if any of those were more justifiable, but when looked at in isolation you can't deny it was a war crime.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

I've learned that calling war criminals, war criminals is in itself, justice. They may never be punished, but by tarnishing their legally unsullied name, in some way they didn't get away with it.

The only war criminals in ww2 were nazis, axis nations, the soviets, japanese, and vichy france.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Neither was the Armenian Genocide. Welp, sorry guys, guess that's that! Shouldn't have been so uppity and supportive of the Russians I guess

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

The only war criminals in ww2 were nazis and japanese

I was talking about anybody who worked in Bush's inner circle.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

I was talking about anybody who worked in Bush's inner circle.

Their only crime was being so unpopular as to allow Obama to pullout completely from Iraq and create ISIL.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

Who are the war criminals in this case? The people who made the bombs. The people who dropped the bombs. Or the people who gave the order.

Or all of the above.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Given that, with the nature of how hilariously inaccurate bombing was in WW2 when does bombing stop being strategic and start becoming a war crime?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

I think that - with the exception of the terror bombing aimed solely at destroying axis morale by killing civilians - the strategic bombing campaigns are arguably justifiable

Wait wait. If the terror campaigns aimed solely at destroying axis morale weren't justifiable, then how are the atomic bombings any different? Is it just because the atomic bombings (maybe) succeeded? Seems a bit strange to say that war crimes are okay if after you do them it turns out they worked.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

A Winner is Jew posted:

If it's justifiable it is by definition not a war crime. That's part of why we as a culture understand that winning nations cannot commit war crimes. That's not ideal but it's the reality we've been operating in since we failed to prosecute Bomber Command and the Eighth Air Force at the Nuremberg Trials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

i too change my understanding of historic events based on forums grudges

??? I'm not sure why my saying your demonstrated inability to read or comprehend the basic positions of the people you're arguing with in favor of making completely unsubstantiated implications of racism is undermining your credibility actually means I'm basing my understanding of history on some sort of bizarre gestalt of forums popularity and personal slights?

• Locked thread