Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you've posted some terrible things...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

do you like shitposting?

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Leaving this thread is not as scary as it sounds.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Blood Dragon is far better than actual Far Cry 3 since you aren't playing a white savior, you're playing a cyborg savior.

And Ready Player One reminds me why nerds still deserve to be stuffed in lockers.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I just want to point out Hotline Miami is a terrible representation of the 80s as well. It's closer to Blood Dragon and Kung Fury as the actual 80s. Seriously if you want something that has a true nostalgic feel for the 80s, Freaks and Geeks and That 80s Show. Everything else is trying way too hard. :smith:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ah the 80s

Reagan, high tops, wholesale slaughter of apartment buildings

Sounds about right

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Skunkrocker posted:

I just want to point out Hotline Miami is a terrible representation of the 80s as well. It's closer to Blood Dragon and Kung Fury as the actual 80s. Seriously if you want something that has a true nostalgic feel for the 80s, Freaks and Geeks and That 80s Show. Everything else is trying way too hard. :smith:

I don't think it was really trying to represent the 80s? And the second game makes it clear that it's all alternate history anyway so uh

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

UIApplication posted:

Ah the 80s

Reagan, high tops, wholesale slaughter of apartment buildings

Sounds about right

Actually, there has been a HUGE drop in violence since the 80's.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh wow look at all the new posts in the Hotline Miami thread, I wonder if the level editor is out

quote:

Kung Fury

:yikes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh wow look at all the new posts in the Hotline Miami thread, I wonder if the level editor is out

:yikes:

gently caress YOU. if you see someone post this bullshit in a thread, report them so that i may smash them. nobody gives a poo poo that you saw a certain amount of posts and were either surprised by their content or just outright deemed them not worth reading. people post about varying poo poo. sometimes threads don't stick to a specific topic because sidebar conversations can happen. this is natural. it doesn't last forever. nobody gives a poo poo about how many posts you saw.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Kung Fury bitching is an especially boring and lovely conversation to be fair

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

dude what the hell

Skunkrocker posted:

Hotline Miami and the 80s do have one thing in common, which is that neither is as good as everyone remembers them to be.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I AM DETECTIV MANNY PAHDO

I GO KIL BAD GUYS IN STORE, BOAT, AN EVEN POLICES

How about we talk about that poo poo instead of the unrelated bullshit you've been discussing, or we just let this thread die a slow, sweet death.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Slave of GMod got updated.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249207064

The AI is better and there's some new maps.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Anatharon posted:

Slave of GMod got updated.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249207064

The AI is better and there's some new maps.

Why did they ruin a good idea by making it about something that no sane person over the age of 12 gives a gently caress about?

But I subscribed anyway in case I ever install GMod again (never).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Why did they ruin a good idea by making it about something that no sane person over the age of 12 gives a gently caress about?

But I subscribed anyway in case I ever install GMod again (never).

I'm pretty sure any sane person over 12 can just skip that part. It's pretty fun!

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Pirate Jet posted:

Hotline Miami and the 80s do have one thing in common, which is that neither is as good as everyone remembers them to be.

They have something else in common, in that they both have some really incredible music.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCjKTU21V8o

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

This is a pretty good run and commentary isn't unbearable to listen to so far, but man that loving chat, holy poo poo. I can't deal with those assholes

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

dasmause posted:

This is a pretty good run and commentary isn't unbearable to listen to so far, but man that loving chat, holy poo poo. I can't deal with those assholes

The run exists without twitch chat. Should be on the GamesDoneQuick channel, or if you want to watch in Twitch there's a reddit thread for that

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
It is weird to me how after spending the entire late 80s and early 90s sabotaging cousins, siblings and friends so I could get my turn, we now have a generation who willingly sits and watches some nerdball playing a game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sleeveless posted:

gently caress YOU. if you see someone post this bullshit in a thread, report them so that i may smash them. nobody gives a poo poo that you saw a certain amount of posts and were either surprised by their content or just outright deemed them not worth reading. people post about varying poo poo. sometimes threads don't stick to a specific topic because sidebar conversations can happen. this is natural. it doesn't last forever. nobody gives a poo poo about how many posts you saw.

Allow me to rephrase then:

"drat that was a lovely derail"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't think it was really trying to represent the 80s? And the second game makes it clear that it's all alternate history anyway so uh

Yeah, Hotline Miami may be set in the 80's but it's not trying to pass itself off as some 80's nostalgia trip. Like yeah, he's got an NES in his apartment, and the graphics are pixels, but it's at no point going "hey guys, remember...COMMANDO!?!?!" and then Michael Beihn, on a short vacation from making terrible direct to video Christian films, says "oval office stabber" for no reason.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

It wasn't doing nostalgia, the creators just liked some of the aesthetics and ditched the parts they didn't like. It's really as simple as that

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, Hotline Miami may be set in the 80's but it's not trying to pass itself off as some 80's nostalgia trip.

Oh no, the main character just rides around in a DeLorean and there are neon lights everywhere and you're beating up guys dressed like Scarface and there is the whole Soviet angle like out of any movie and it's directly inspired and even specifically mentions masked slasher movies and the entire soundtrack is inspired by the synth soundtracks of 80s action films and are you taking the piss?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I believe the point is that Hotline Miami has merits that involve things that aren't just "hey guys the 80s."

prahanormal posted:

They have something else in common, in that they both have some really incredible music.

I agree!

BillmasterCozb posted:

I AM DETECTIV MANNY PAHDO

I GO KIL BAD GUYS IN STORE, BOAT, AN EVEN POLICES

How about we talk about that poo poo instead of the unrelated bullshit you've been discussing, or we just let this thread die a slow, sweet death.

Discussion usually involves going off into side subjects and discussing things' shortcomings. What it does not involve is endless repetition of stuff like whatever weird-rear end meme bullshit you just posted was, or infinite queries on what the thread thinks of your new subject-themed avatar.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

I believe the point is that Hotline Miami has merits that involve things that aren't just "hey guys the 80s."

Yes, this. And the things that are "hey guys, the 80's" are all minor aesthetic things. Yes, he drives a DeLorean, but they don't focus on it, and there's no wink and nod about how when it goes 88 mph you're going to see some serious poo poo. Also the direct inspiration for the lighting and soundtrack was Drive, which was made in the 00's, and much like Hotline Miami wears it's inspirations on it's sleeve without being a slave to them. There's neon, and synth, and people wearing suits like Scarface, sure. But no one is going "I'm a maniac...on the floor" and then murdering a guy named Tony Alaska in front of a "The World Is Mine" globe.

My point is there's a difference between setting your work of fiction in a specific time frame, like the 80's, and using the aesthetics that fit that time frame, and making something that is literally nothing but "HEY GUYS LOOK AT THIS WE MADE THE GUY GO 'SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND,' PLEASE LOVE US BECAUSE WE KNOW THE SAME THINGS YOU KNOW!" which is all that stuff like Kung Fury and Blood Dragon do.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes, this. And the things that are "hey guys, the 80's" are all minor aesthetic things. Yes, he drives a DeLorean, but they don't focus on it, and there's no wink and nod about how when it goes 88 mph you're going to see some serious poo poo. Also the direct inspiration for the lighting and soundtrack was Drive, which was made in the 00's, and much like Hotline Miami wears it's inspirations on it's sleeve without being a slave to them. There's neon, and synth, and people wearing suits like Scarface, sure. But no one is going "I'm a maniac...on the floor" and then murdering a guy named Tony Alaska in front of a "The World Is Mine" globe.

My point is there's a difference between setting your work of fiction in a specific time frame, like the 80's, and using the aesthetics that fit that time frame, and making something that is literally nothing but "HEY GUYS LOOK AT THIS WE MADE THE GUY GO 'SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND,' PLEASE LOVE US BECAUSE WE KNOW THE SAME THINGS YOU KNOW!" which is all that stuff like Kung Fury and Blood Dragon do.

While I agree with you that Kung Fury and Blood Dragon take it to an extreme that is self indulgent, Hotline Miami is still along the same vein, and even if it's not just as bad it's still up there. I still haven't seen Drive all the way through (and I own a copy, how bad is that?) so I cannot comment on it. Thing is, look at all of Denis' games. They're ALL like this. They're all heavily inspired by the 80s, but it's not the 80s we know but the stylized neo-retro 80s. It's the movie poster 80s. The album cover 80s. The music video 80s. It's as you said "aesthetics", but throwing those aesthetics in there doesn't represent the time period but rather a degenerated ideal of what the time period is remembered for. Again, it's Cafe 80s: it's not quite correct, it's nostalgic cheesiness. Even HLM falls victim to it a little bit. So like you said, yeah, it's minor and in content and stylization Hotline doesn't use it as a crutch. It's still there though. Kung Fury and Blood Dragon rely on it.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

There's also a thing where Hotline Miami is set in 80s for a reason. Of course it's kinda evident that they wanted to have an 80s style first and developed a plot around it later, but they did develop a plot around it, and because of that the timeframe becomes important, and so does the style, unlike the same Kung Fury, where it doesn't actually matter.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I guess now that HM2 tried to turn the series into some kind of dumb extended universe, it's easy to forget the days when HM was just a loving weird violent indie game by two guys who had previously done loving weird violent indie games. It wore its inspirations on its sleeve and everything felt kind of slapped together but that was kind of admirable. It's easier to stomach than when your project raises a million dollars on Kickstarter because "omg epic frysayingtakeallmymoney.jpg"

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I remember someone in the thread described how The Son's chapter was a parallel to the Hotline Miami 1-2 dev story, which was pretty apt.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Really interesting video. Dennis Wedin on Hotline Miami 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-clpBMQ5U

Thanks for posting this, short but interesting. I was half expecting the stuff people didn't like about HM2 to be some kind of self-aware jab at their audience. Like the first game was all "You like violence in video games? Well, gently caress you, here's a game about violence to make you queasy!" And the second game went "You'd like the story of the first game explained? Well, gently caress you, here's a load of characters with tons of story that remove all mystery and at the end we kill everyone!" But it sounded like they just had lots of ideas for character and story that they wanted to include. And making the levels bigger wasn't for the purpose of making the game harder but to fit with the story.

OTOH, that speed run shows how "easy" you can go, even with all the randomness and windows and whatnot. I'll never be that good and I'm afraid to play it again, because I know I'll be frustrated and end up with a B- rating. :(

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Level editor news update.
http://dennaton.blogspot.co.uk/

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Who is that he's got in the level? That doesn't look like any character I've ever seen.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

JAssassin posted:

Who is that he's got in the level? That doesn't look like any character I've ever seen.

Richter.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Oh weird. Must be the daylight effect that's throwing off his color scheme.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Yo they are making a biker figure and it's got a kickstarter up.
The standard model looks fantastic.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I just played through Deathwish again.

Goddamn I love this loving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Kind of related - Devolver digital sale! Hotline Miami is 75% off, the second is 33% off, and..Hatoful Boyfriend for $2.49? I uh..I'm gonna get that game. Maybe.

• Locked thread