Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Trump is taking the GOP's spiteful, mean, angry id, distilling it, and serving it on tap. The base is lapping it up and the party management is getting ulcers realizing the scale of the deal they made with the devil some 35-40 years ago. It doesn't even matter whether he's a true believer or if he's really a Clinton double agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Fox has forever tried to sell that a politician is good when they are a business man, an outsider, not afraid to 'speak the truth,' and tough on his critics. In reality, they just want whoever the Kochs or whoever is paying the bills wants. Trump is literally their perfect 'politician,' independent of the Koch brothers payroll.

It's like watching their bullshit narrative is blow up in their face and its just magical to watch.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Trump is winning all the internet polls for who won the debate by a good 20-30 percent margin. Looking forward to seeing the first phone poll results.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The Democratic debates are going to be Hillary talking to an empty chair once they decide Bernie isn't eligible because he's "not actually a Democrat"

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

DaveWoo posted:

It really is fascinating to watch the right-wing establishment media try to take down a right-wing populist insurgent candidate like this. Wonder what'll happen if Trump's poll numbers end up staying the same, or even go up as a result of this.

Just look what the liberal media establishment has been doing to Bernie.

Hint: its been hitjob after hitjob.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The only thing funnier then watching Trump win the Republican nomination will be watching him turn purple and flail around after Hillary turns all 50 states blue in the biggest win in American electoral history.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Hyping him up to increase the horse race coverage between him and Hillary?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Zelder posted:

Definitely not.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
So when do we drop the irony of the situation and really digest the realistic implications of president Trump?

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I'm so floored by how bulletproof Trump is. I get that his more offense comments totally play to the base, but I would've thought his relationship with the Clintons and his former support of UHC would tank him. But even that's not sticking. :psyduck:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Miltank posted:

Definitely not.

I haven't seen anyone in the liberal media talk about anything other than Bernie's rising numbers, but what are we describing as liberal media? Because if you're talking about stuff like Jacobin, well I don't really know what they're up to but it's probably stupid

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

discoukulele posted:

I'm so floored by how bulletproof Trump is. I get that his more offense comments totally play to the base, but I would've thought his relationship with the Clintons and his former support of UHC would tank him. But even that's not sticking. :psyduck:

This far out from the election I wonder if it's entertainment factor more than realistically wanting Trump to be president.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

echronorian posted:

So when do we drop the irony of the situation and really digest the realistic implications of president Trump?

Haven't you seen the Photoshop thread? http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732684

You really should. It's one of the best threads ever, even better than the one with the little fish sucking off the dolphin.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

discoukulele posted:

Trump's been deflecting poo poo for decades. Jeb! should go on a Clockwork Orange-like Trump-watching marathon so he can learn how to weasel out of the Iraq question that he's going to be asked in every. single. debate.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Zelder posted:

The problem with that is that when Bernie talks it starts taking supporters away from other candidates, for some strange reason

discoukulele posted:

Fox News has always played itself as an 'anti-establishment' or outsider group, but I think people can kind of viscerally tell that they're being told who is an acceptable candidate, and they don't like it. I wonder if people in the conservative blogosphere have come to see Fox News as a sort of republican establishment stronghold that needs to be destroyed. It wouldn't surprise me. They've also deliberately created an environment where the most extreme answers get the airtime, and now it's working against them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lord of Pie posted:

The Democratic debates are going to be Hillary talking to an empty chair once they decide Bernie isn't eligible because he's "not actually a Democrat"

Bernie running to the left of Hillary is useful because its a good argument against the Republican's favorite attack lines regarding her being a "radical leftist"

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Zelder posted:

I haven't seen anyone in the liberal media talk about anything other than Bernie's rising numbers, but what are we describing as liberal media? Because if you're talking about stuff like Jacobin, well I don't really know what they're up to but it's probably stupid

I think Miltank is referring to what people normally call liberal media but is actually establishment media - MSNBC, CNN, 60 Minutes.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Yeah, and the establishment media is talking up his rising numbers because they love a horse race. Or am I out of date on my coverage?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mister Macys posted:

Any momentum on the "Trump is a liberal plant to kill the GOP" theory lately?

I heard on Maddow he apparently spoke with Bill Clinton before running. :tinfoil:

Its the only thing that makes sense :tinfoil:

Honestly whether that's his goal or not, Trump exists only to split the GOP vote and destroy them. I love it.

I imagine that Trump understands this, but then again he does have a pretty big ego so maybe he's just in it to win it.

Again, either way though I get what I want.

FAUXTON posted:

Trump is taking the GOP's spiteful, mean, angry id, distilling it, and serving it on tap. The base is lapping it up and the party management is getting ulcers realizing the scale of the deal they made with the devil some 35-40 years ago. It doesn't even matter whether he's a true believer or if he's really a Clinton double agent.

Exactly.

Trump getting attention and polling high is just revealing to everybody exactly what the GOP really is. The emperor has no clothes, and trump is dancing around naked making sure we all know it.

Fox has forever tried to sell that a politician is good when they are a business man, an outsider, not afraid to 'speak the truth,' and tough on his critics. In reality, they just want whoever the Kochs or whoever is paying the bills wants.

Rupert Murdoch.

E: Oh poo poo he stepped down as head of FOX just recently huh?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 7, 2015

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

echronorian posted:

Who's being ironic? Ever since that surge started, I figured he has a legitimate shot at at least getting enough people to secure the nomination if the GOP allows it.

discoukulele posted:

former support of UHC
Former? He says he wants a better government plan than Obamacare. In what way it would be "better" is unknown, but he hasn't explicitly come out against UHC that I know of since speaking favorably of plans like Canada's, just against the current plan in the US as inefficient.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I wonder if people in the conservative blogosphere have come to see Fox News as a sort of republican establishment stronghold that needs to be destroyed. It wouldn't surprise me.
From what I've seen, they're not all there yet, but this has been a wake-up call. We'll hopefully see if they hit the snooze button and go back to sleep or wake up to the reality of the situation now.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 7, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lord of Pie posted:

Jesus I forgot all about the empty chair Obama.

GOP never change.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lord of Pie posted:

That would be the dumbest thing they could do. Bernie's polls would shoot through the roof with the headline "Hillary afraid of Bernie, is also literally Clint Eastwood".

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

echronorian posted:

There are some things which man fails to consider, not because he is naturally ignorant, but because he wishes to protect his sanity. I cannot peer into that abyss. I can only flee in terror.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Rupert Murdoch.

E: Oh poo poo he stepped down as head of FOX just recently huh?

Doesn't he still own Fox, though? It's still funny that Ailes has been getting Fox to push pro Trumpism at odds with the rest of the anti Trump Murdoch empire.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

echronorian posted:

Nah there's no president trump :lol: Republican nom for trump just means the race is between Hillary and Bernie.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Doesn't he still own Fox, though? It's still funny that Ailes has been getting Fox to push pro Trumpism at odds with the rest of the anti Trump Murdoch empire.

Yeah probably.

Xanderg
Feb 13, 2008

bobtheconqueror posted:

I know Obama had a bit of establishment support in his '08 run, but was there this kind of response from the DNC back when he was still picking up steam against Hillary?

If I remember 2008 correctly the DNC largely stayed out of things. The big difference between the GOP and the Democratic Party is that GOP candidates are self-funders while Democratic Party candidates often get elected to the House, Senate, Governorship, etc with heavy help from the state party, the DNC/DCCC/DSCC, Emily's List, Organized Labor, PPFA, and other Democrat-affiliated institutions. What this means is during a presidential cycle is that Dem candidates have to self-fund their campaign and are often limited to the strength of their donor base in their home state. This benefits candidates from wealthy and connected states (such as New York, Illinois, or Massachusetts), candidates that have a regional appeal (like Bill Clinton), or a candidate that has held a Cabinet or VP position which gives them a national presence and the unofficial support of the administration they served under.

The GOP, being self-funders, are used to raising money across the country to fund their campaigns at all levels. That's why every presidential year for the past 16 years (except 2004) the GOP field starts out with around 12 candidates or more, whereas the Democratic Party never gets over 10 (heck, in 2000 it was literally Al Gore and one other guy) and the field almost always narrows down to two or three viable candidates within the first couple months.

Another thing is that Republicans are hoping 2016 will be for them what 2008 was for Democrats. In their mind, no matter who the nominee is, they will win the general election. Period.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah there's no president trump :lol: Republican nom for trump just means the race is between Hillary and Bernie.

Trump against Clinton or Sanders will be 2000 all over again. He's the only electric candidate to the general public.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Zelder posted:

lol jacobin is as far from any sort of establishment media as it gets.

theyve published both pro and anti bernie articles

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That would be the dumbest thing they could do. Bernie's polls would shoot through the roof with the headline "Hillary afraid of Bernie, is also literally Clint Eastwood".

The actual dumbest thing they could do was not switching out their leadership after bombing so badly during the last congressional elections, and they already managed that.

Everything else is just part of that poo poo snowball.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fox has forever tried to sell that a politician is good when they are a business man, an outsider, not afraid to 'speak the truth,' and tough on his critics. In reality, they just want whoever the Kochs or whoever is paying the bills wants. Trump is literally their perfect 'politician,' independent of the Koch brothers payroll.

It's like watching their bullshit narrative blow up in their face and its just magical to watch.
Fox's main problem with Trump is that he doesn't dogwhistle his opinions. It's more of a megaphone.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

echronorian posted:

List republican candidates in order of how terrifying the idea of their presidency is. Donald Trump is easily in third place when there's easily a four or five person tie for first, and a double digit amount of people tied for second. Like, can you really tell me to my face that Donald Trump would make a worse president than Scott Walker? Or Carly Fiorina?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You can't guarantee another 8 years of right-wing fiscal policy if there's an actual liberal who might win. It shouldn't surprise anyone that every "left" news company is trying to assassinate Sanders (suggest he's a racist sexist nobody with 0 substance or electability) and right-wing groups are saying he's OK (lends credence to former's complaints).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

echronorian posted:

lol dehumanize and face to bloodshed

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

List republican candidates in order of how terrifying the idea of their presidency is. Donald Trump is easily in third place when there's easily a four or five person tie for first, and a double digit amount of people tied for second. Like, can you really tell me to my face that Donald Trump would make a worse president than Scott Walker? Or Carly Fiorina?

I can't disagree tbh

Half the governor's on stage were arguing about who defunded planned parenthood more lol

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Yes, definitely. I think only Huckabee and maybe Carson would be worse than Trump. Many of the candidates are either horribly wrongheaded or corrupt, but Trump is straight up irrational.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I didn't consider that.

There really aren't any good options.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

You can't guarantee another 8 years of right-wing fiscal policy if there's an actual liberal who might win. It shouldn't surprise anyone that every "left" news company is trying to assassinate Sanders (suggest he's a racist sexist nobody with 0 substance or electability) and right-wing groups are saying he's OK (lends credence to former's complaints).

Honestly, I haven't seen much overtly negative coverage of Sanders from the mainstream media at all. They seem mostly content to ignore him, except for brief mentions in articles about Hillary's weaknesses as a candidate.

Kasich seems okay, but yeah, everyone else would be equally terrible as president.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I unironically agree with Trump that we need single payer and insurance companies are the hangup/problem

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

BattleCattle posted:

There are some things which man fails to consider, not because he is naturally ignorant, but because he wishes to protect his sanity. I cannot peer into that abyss. I can only flee in terror.

My oh poo poo scenario is President Trump (:barf:) and Putin getting into a pissing match over something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

echronorian posted:

I unironically agree with Trump that we need single payer and insurance companies are the hangup/problem

I was only half listening when he was covering that, but it sounded like he jumbled up the GOP plan to allow cross-state insurance sales and single payerish plans.

• Locked thread