Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

What are some good Punisher comics to read on MU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm not sure what is or isn't up on MU for Punisher but I'd recommend the following:

Ennis' "normal" run and his MAX run. Also read Fury if it's there, it counts because Castle is in it, also it's great.
Remender's run.
Punisher 2099 if it's there.
Maybe Rucka's run but I think it ended abruptly and what I read was just ok.
Punisher in Space, although I thought it was kinda dumb in a bad way the art's decent and some people really seem to like it.

Outside of that IMO it gets pretty hit or miss and the runs above will give you enough.

edit: also Aaron's run on Punisher Max, it kinda finishes the Ennis Max run.

edit2: skimming through the MU website I think the real answer is that you're going to have to buy everything because it looks like recent Punisher is really spotty on the MU.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 2, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
There is no MAX stuff on MU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Zachack posted:

Maybe Rucka's run but I think it ended abruptly and what I read was just ok..

I really liked Rucka's run. It ends abruptly, but continues to a mini series in Punisher: War Zone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MU just added the Marvel Knights Punisher run. It's the one Quitely drew, but MU didn't put creative info in the thumbnails so I don't know who wrote it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

MU just added the Marvel Knights Punisher run. It's the one Quitely drew, but MU didn't put creative info in the thumbnails so I don't know who wrote it.
What's this now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry I meant Dillon. I just lump artists that draw horribly ugly people together in my head :twisted:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, then it's Ennis.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Sorry I meant Dillon. I just lump artists that draw horribly ugly people together in my head :twisted:

You monster

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, then it's Ennis.

But the Marvel Knights run isn't the same as the MAX run, but Ennis wrote both?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yes. Knights is goofier.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

I think early MAX might vaguely reference the marvel knights story, but nah, it's not the same run. Keep in mind that Marvel Knights' continuity status was occasionally questionable, too.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MAX kind of picks up from Welcome Back, Frank, but little else applies.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The further it got from the black comedy of Welcome Back Frank the less I enjoyed the character.

As I've gotten older I have come to the conclusion The Punisher should be a pitch black joke and anybody that idolizes him should be laughed at even harder.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SirDan3k posted:

As I've gotten older I have come to the conclusion The Punisher should be a pitch black joke and anybody that idolizes him should be laughed at even harder.

There's been several Punisher stories about how if you think the Punisher is an awesome dude you are a piece of poo poo idiot, but the message doesn't seem to get through.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I actually enjoyed Ellis' X-Men run but it's pretty bleak and goes nowhere. I think I liked it more for the sci-fi aspect than the X-men aspect.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

There's been several Punisher stories about how if you think the Punisher is an awesome dude you are a piece of poo poo idiot, but the message doesn't seem to get through.
It's incredibly sad/terrifying how special forces guys and SWAT officers unironically put the Punisher skull on their gear.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

So I saw some scans from Midnighter #3 that seemed halfway interesting, but I know literally nothing about the character other than 'he gay.' Is there any particularly good stuff about him I should track down? When does he come out or whatever, and was that any good?

Tell me what to read about Midnighter and/or Apollo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Warren Ellis's Stormwatch and Authority is about all you should bother with.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Warren Ellis's Stormwatch and Authority is about all you should bother with.

:agreed:

I enjoyed Midnighter's solo series by Giffen, too.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

A Tin Of Beans posted:

So I saw some scans from Midnighter #3 that seemed halfway interesting, but I know literally nothing about the character other than 'he gay.' Is there any particularly good stuff about him I should track down? When does he come out or whatever, and was that any good?

Tell me what to read about Midnighter and/or Apollo.

Ellis' Stormwatch and Authority are comics you should be reading anyway, because they are extremely excellent. So here's the full run-down:

Stormwatch volume 1, issues 37-50: The start of Ellis' run, essential background to what comes next.
Stormwatch volume 2, issues 4-11: Debut of Midnighter and Apollo.
The Authority, entire first volume (29 issues): Midnighter and Apollo kicking an absurdly large amount of rear end. Ellis leaves in the middle, but the whole thing is very good and there are great Midnighter/Apollo moments happening up until the last page of the last issue.

That said, you don't need that background to enjoy the Midnighter ongoing, which is its own thing and doesn't bring a lot of background baggage with it except for "this is Midnighter he fights real well he just broke up with his boyfriend Apollo".
e: I lie, there is a situation with the Garden that I think comes from a previous series which I haven't read. But so far the ongoing hasn't required any background knowledge on that front.

But please don't skip Stormwatch/Authority! Many people rank those series among the big paradigm shifts in comics and they're completely worth the effort.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 6, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cyphoderus posted:

e: I lie, there is a situation with the Garden that I think comes from a previous series which I haven't read.

It's from Grayson. The current Midnighter spins out of his appearances there. Grayson rules. Read Grayson.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Cyphoderus posted:

Ellis' Stormwatch and Authority are comics you should be reading anyway, because they are extremely excellent. So here's the full run-down:

Stormwatch volume 1, issues 37-50: The start of Ellis' run, essential background to what comes next.
Stormwatch volume 2, issues 4-11: Debut of Midnighter and Apollo.
The Authority, entire first volume (29 issues): Midnighter and Apollo kicking an absurdly large amount of rear end. Ellis leaves in the middle, but the whole thing is very good and there are great Midnighter/Apollo moments happening up until the last page of the last issue.

That said, you don't need that background to enjoy the Midnighter ongoing, which is its own thing and doesn't bring a lot of background baggage with it except for "this is Midnighter he fights real well he just broke up with his boyfriend Apollo".
e: I lie, there is a situation with the Garden that I think comes from a previous series which I haven't read. But so far the ongoing hasn't required any background knowledge on that front.

But please don't skip Stormwatch/Authority! Many people rank those series among the big paradigm shifts in comics and they're completely worth the effort.

Rad, thanks, I will pick that stuff up!

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's from Grayson. The current Midnighter spins out of his appearances there. Grayson rules. Read Grayson.

... I can't guarantee I'll end up reading Grayson, though. :colbert: I need some money for rent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I read Economix this week and I'd never thought of a comic book as educational media. It was a really good way to explain a complicated and dry topic. I was kind of blindly searching for similar stuff, and most non-fiction comics are biographical, which I'm not as interested in. Anyone know of similar non-fiction comics, where it's focusing on history or a topic and not just one person?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Have a Will Eisner comic explaining how to maintain your M16.
http://www.ep.tc/problems/25/index.html

You'd probably enjoy Understanding Comics.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

I read Economix this week and I'd never thought of a comic book as educational media. It was a really good way to explain a complicated and dry topic. I was kind of blindly searching for similar stuff, and most non-fiction comics are biographical, which I'm not as interested in. Anyone know of similar non-fiction comics, where it's focusing on history or a topic and not just one person?

There's March, about the civil rights movement. The art and lettering in that is incredible.

There's also the Showa books, about Japanese history. I haven't checked em out myself but by all accounts they are transcendingly beautiful

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 7, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Action Philosophers by Fred Van Lente and Ryan Dunlavey is pretty fun. Comic Book History of Comics, also by Van Lante was pretty good.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I'm looking for some one and done trades, I have enjoyed two step, black summer, proposition player, locke and key, sex, prez, wicked and Devine. I have enjoyed everything I have read from waid, templesmith, Ennis and Ellis. Any recommendations?

E: no marvel

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
i know you said no Marvel but Ellis' run on Moon Knight is very good and only six issues long if you haven't read it already.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

numerrik posted:

I'm looking for some one and done trades, I have enjoyed two step, black summer, proposition player, locke and key, sex, prez, wicked and Devine. I have enjoyed everything I have read from waid, templesmith, Ennis and Ellis. Any recommendations?

Trillium? Trillium's good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

numerrik posted:

Are you interested in the history of economics :kiddo:

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

zoux posted:

Gene Luen Yang's Boxers and Saints.

Joe Sacco's Palestine.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I've just got done reading Hickman and Weaver's S.H.I.E.L.D. and it is amazing. I was unhappy with it not actually ending, but I guess both issues come out in September. Is there anything else that goes with this universe he created?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

I've just got done reading Hickman and Weaver's S.H.I.E.L.D. and it is amazing. I was unhappy with it not actually ending, but I guess both issues come out in September. Is there anything else that goes with this universe he created?

Not really, but Secret Warriors probably ties in closest.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Not really, but Secret Warriors probably ties in closest.

I'll have to finish that up then. Maybe if Hickman stays the golden child we will get more crazy stuff out of him.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

numerrik posted:

Andre The Giant by Box Brown might be a bit outside your interest (no superheroes... maybe?) but it's pretty good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

This was pretty good, if obviously super depressing

http://www.amazon.com/11-Report-Gra...on+report+comic

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

Oh hey, Maus

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Mars4523 posted:

It's incredibly sad/terrifying how special forces guys and SWAT officers unironically put the Punisher skull on their gear.

There's plenty of EMS patches/shirts that have the Punisher skull superimposed over the Star of Life. There's not a :wtf: big enough for that one.

zoux posted:

Waltz with Bashir sort of fits this. It's about an Israeli soldier's experiences during the 1982 Lebanon war. It is about one person, but much like Maus, it uses that one person's experience to frame an event.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I just read both of the more recent Carnage miniseries by Zeb Wells and Clayton Crain. Enjoyed them both and was wondering if there is any past stuff with Carnage (besides maximum and were he is torn in half) that is good. I see there is an arc in Scarlet Spider and Venom. I plan on reading those series both interest me.

Another couple of questions. First has Clayton Crain ever had his work actually colored in anything besides black and red? I kinda dig the way it looks, but it is colored dark and muted all the time making it hard to discern details at times (looking at you Ghost Rider mini. Second does Marvel have any good writers who write good, fun superhero stuff that isn't completely dark? Someone like Giffen, Demattis, or (I had more until I had a brain fart).

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 9, 2015