Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Vahalla posted:

PBCs airship venture luck, lol. I know DGKK already has 3 ships, how is TPT doing?

I don't know the exact specifics but pbc and dgkk just gave them some fiber to unlock tier 4 ships so other than ship ranks the three fcs are in rough parity right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I recently installed Win10 and FF14 was crashing saying I didn't have a valid directx version. I'm assuming it doesn't recognize dx12.

I downloaded the DirextX update from MS support and I saw it installing a bunch of dx9 poo poo. Now when I play, I swear the graphics are shittier than before, but

I'm not sure if now I'm just looking really closely for issues. I see water and surface reflections and smoke effects which I'm pretty sure dx9 didn't do, but some textures look like hot rear end.

Here's a screenshot from one of the last 2.55 MSQs I just took. Does this look like DX11? That chair...

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

RuanGacho posted:

I don't know the exact specifics but pbc and dgkk just gave them some fiber to unlock tier 4 ships so other than ship ranks the three fcs are in rough parity right now.

Luck permitting, TPT is roughly a week from Airship 3. Our primary airship is still only lv37, so Sector 14 wont even let us travel there until it's reached 40.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

I recently installed Win10 and FF14 was crashing saying I didn't have a valid directx version. I'm assuming it doesn't recognize dx12.

I downloaded the DirextX update from MS support and I saw it installing a bunch of dx9 poo poo. Now when I play, I swear the graphics are shittier than before, but

I'm not sure if now I'm just looking really closely for issues. I see water and surface reflections and smoke effects which I'm pretty sure dx9 didn't do, but some textures look like hot rear end.

Here's a screenshot from one of the last 2.55 MSQs I just took. Does this look like DX11? That chair...

the launcher tells you if you're using dx11. if it doesn't say anything on the start button, you're using dx9, go switch it to dx11.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005
I pre-ordered and got a physical copy of Heavensward awhile ago, quit playing, came back, started playing again but I also had a pre-order bonus code for early access (which I never used because I was nowhere near the minimum level for the content).

Today, I go to apply the code on my account and it says invalid (I put the code in to their preorder webpage to get the actual pre-order bonus item code).

Contacted support, they said that since my base copy was purchased on Steam, the code will not work and I need to contact Steam for any pre-order bonus purchase questions.

Is that their code for saying I am poo poo out of luck? (Seeing as how I don't think I can pre-order something that's already been released) I am still not high enough to access the Expansion and the box is still sealed so I guess I will eBay it.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Farts posted:

I pre-ordered and got a physical copy of Heavensward awhile ago, quit playing, came back, started playing again but I also had a pre-order bonus code for early access (which I never used because I was nowhere near the minimum level for the content).

Today, I go to apply the code on my account and it says invalid (I put the code in to their preorder webpage to get the actual pre-order bonus item code).

Contacted support, they said that since my base copy was purchased on Steam, the code will not work and I need to contact Steam for any pre-order bonus purchase questions.

Is that their code for saying I am poo poo out of luck? (Seeing as how I don't think I can pre-order something that's already been released) I am still not high enough to access the Expansion and the box is still sealed so I guess I will eBay it.

If you bought the base game on steam every expansion will need to also be purchased from steam.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kharaa posted:

the launcher tells you if you're using dx11. if it doesn't say anything on the start button, you're using dx9, go switch it to dx11.

The DX 9 and 11 clients use the same textures don't they? The DX11 will just use a different rendering pipeline, but if the input is the same the output will be just as low resolution. I have noticed some oddly low resolution things as well, I'm guessing they're really old assets from 1.0 or something? Or maybe some setting is wrong under graphics.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

The DX 9 and 11 clients use the same textures don't they? The DX11 will just use a different rendering pipeline, but if the input is the same the output will be just as low resolution. I have noticed some oddly low resolution things as well, I'm guessing they're really old assets from 1.0 or something? Or maybe some setting is wrong under graphics.

If they were old assests from 1.0 they would look better and kill your framerate.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Behold, the hundreds of thousands of polygons flowerpot

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vahalla posted:

Also people who have characters with Heterochromia are bad and should feel bad. The special snowflake syndrome is tooooo much.

Counterpoint: heterochromia is pretty and also shut up.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I see the dx11 client running but I am convinced that if somehow the DX11 files aren't present that it'll fall back on DX9 if that's available. I don't know anything about the Windows graphics backend so this is all coming out my rear end. If that screenshot looks good, then it's just me looking hard for issues.

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe

Richard M Nixon posted:

I see the dx11 client running but I am convinced that if somehow the DX11 files aren't present that it'll fall back on DX9 if that's available. I don't know anything about the Windows graphics backend so this is all coming out my rear end. If that screenshot looks good, then it's just me looking hard for issues.

Check if "ffxiv_dx11.exe" is running in the task manager.

e: If you already did I don't think there's any way for it to fall back.

dumb bunny fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 7, 2015

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

luzie posted:

Check if "ffxiv_dx11.exe" is running in the task manager.

e: If you already did I don't think there's any way for it to fall back.

Yeah, it's running. I got it in my head that you can make a DX11 call and if the DLLs aren't there, it'll try an older version instead. Probably something I made up and the FF14 graphics have always been poo poo. Thanks for the confirmation. I'm just looking extra closely to see what Win10 is loving up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I am pretty sure the game has always had crap for texture quality, yeah.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TwistedNails posted:

If they were old assests from 1.0 they would look better and kill your framerate.

I thought 1.0 had silly polygon counts not textures?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I'm going to be hitting 60 on my WAR soon and so far it's a blast. But I know I am not utilizing everything I have to the best of my abilities. Someone give me some tips and tricks on how to push my Warrior mans to maximize its potential.

Straight up tanking/holding aggro, I think I am comfortable with. But with dealing damage MT/OTing I have no idea.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm pretty sure 1.0 had both in spades, as well as comically involved GUI animations.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

They did have insane polygon counts, they also had pretty nice textures on most things too.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is it easy to get the prisms for transmogging gear?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
clear prisms are 200 gil each and glamour prisms themselves are 1 clear and 2 of some mid-level material, like steel ingots

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

Glamours, yes they're easy to get. You buy the clear ones and craft the ones you need, or buy them from the market board already made.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I never played it, but I think textures / polygons are the one thing 1.0 did better (and also subsequently broke clients / servers because of the resource requirements).

I plan on starting a melee DPS class soon - really not sure which I should pick first. They all look fun - do I wanna be Goku and punch dudes as a monk, jump on dudes as a dragoon, or have sweet hops and crowd control as a ninja? Tough choices here.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

cheetah7071 posted:

Counterpoint: heterochromia is pretty and also shut up.

Related but actually serious: how many NPCs actually have Heterochromia? I can only remember the gigantic anime moron from the CT quest line.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I never played it, but I think textures / polygons are the one thing 1.0 did better (and also subsequently broke clients / servers because of the resource requirements).

I plan on starting a melee DPS class soon - really not sure which I should pick first. They all look fun - do I wanna be Goku and punch dudes as a monk, jump on dudes as a dragoon, or have sweet hops and crowd control as a ninja? Tough choices here.

yeah those billion polygon cactus copy pasted a million times across a long expanse of nothing were just super.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

sword_man.gif posted:

clear prisms are 200 gil each and glamour prisms themselves are 1 clear and 2 of some mid-level material, like steel ingots
Most but not all of which can be bought from various beastman vendors.

(I don't think the leather or silver ingots are available from vendors anywhere, at least.)

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Bob NewSCART posted:

The DGKK and TPT (maybe PBC, never been there) company chests have every type of prism there for the taking.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Ninjas have crowd control? I just hit 60 last night and I love it but I really think I'm not using it to its full potential.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Ninjas have crowd control? I just hit 60 last night and I love it but I really think I'm not using it to its full potential.

Not really, no.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

seorin posted:

Midlander haircuts are what I missed most when I was Au Ra. They have so many good ones, and I hate most of the Au Ra ones. :(

This is funny to me, as a midlander I really wish I had some of the highlander and Au'ra haircuts. Specifically the Highlander long hair with bangs + no headband, the one the Gladiator's guild girl has, and the Au'ra Hime Cut. I hope that while they keep adding new haircuts they continue to open up old ones for all races.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Ninja's have bind in Hyoton, which is a 2 press something -> Jin combo. That's it though.
Offensive utility they have in spades though.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

For extra dps on Oppressor are tanks going dps stance after landing until before HThermal and HPlasma go out? So far it seems like Slaying accessories are absolutely fine for us, and more dps would be nice. Only the period from HThermal until the jump tends to be the dicey tank damage stretch.

On a similar topic, what's the safe percent to have Oppressor at for the split to be on track? I've heard somewhere around 63%, but that seems high.

nuru fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 7, 2015

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

nuru posted:

For extra dps on Oppressor are tanks going dps stance after landing until before HThermal and HPlasma go out? So far it seems like Slaying accessories are absolutely fine for us, and more dps would be nice. Only the period from HThermal until the jump tends to be the dicey tank damage stretch.

On a similar topic, what's the safe percent to have Oppressor at for the split to be on track? I've heard somewhere around 63%, but that seems high.

We cleared it at 58%. I think you could probably be low 60s though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nuru posted:

I have sword oath on for the entire first phase after getting a solid threat lead, and then I turn it back on between the tankbuster and jump. But the closest we've gotten is 1%/3% so take that with a grain of salt.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

nuru posted:

if you're a WAR, berserk lines up perfectly with oppressor jumps. Switch to Deliverance while waiting for them to come back down from a jump, and pop berserk once you have a triple fell cleave combo set up after they land (you are triple fell cleaving right?). Berserk should end right as they do Emergency Deployment.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

We've only recently had enough time on the encounter to get to enrage, so our tanks were in Shield / Defiance still. Now that it's time to notch up the dps I believe it'll be fell cleave x3 time aplenty.

Thanks for the advice.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Transferring to excal soon. Any major differences between the goon FCs? Aside from TPT being good for newbies.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BattleCake posted:

Transferring to excal soon. Any major differences between the goon FCs? Aside from TPT being good for newbies.

DGKK is considered more laid back and is all about glamours. We're like the BYOB of goon FCs.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hooray! With this week's Alex drops my Bard sits nicely at i190. He only lacks the Alex chest because I was lazy about collecting shafts and took what I could get. Now I can relax a bit and work on gearing Ninja/leveling Machinist since that's about as high as I can get my main at the moment without going into Alex Savage.

Maybe I'll use Ixali dailies to start working on crafters->40 for repairing.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

nuru posted:

Our first clear was split at like 62 i think, though it was a semi-joking pull where none of us used pots or food. :negative: Your warrior at least can wear 4 slaying + 1 fending pretty easily and your MT can probably drop tanking stance on pull if your healers are decent and you have a ninja.

After jumps it's probably safer to stay in tanking stance given that there is only a few GCDS between drops and damage starting. Your SCH can use that to get a set of dots out instead, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

seiferguy posted:

DGKK is considered more laid back and is all about glamours. We're like the BYOB of goon FCs.

DGKK has a hard-on for themselves and likes to tell new players that PBC is not a fun place to be.

• Locked thread