Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Haha! I ripped a chunk out of the cap liner but that moved it far enough up to fix the problem of the cap not seating.

Topher, here is a gallery of the feed and nib out of a metro, didn't want to post a bunch of huge images: https://goo.gl/photos/gmj16V1r8pKFfSLg7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Thanks, sorry I should have specified I need to see them outside of the pen so I can tell if the feed from a Pilot Parallel will fit.

(also if whoever can do that can also measure the diameter of the feed and how deep into the pen it goes that would be cool too c: )

e:

pienipple posted:

Haha! I ripped a chunk out of the cap liner but that moved it far enough up to fix the problem of the cap not seating.

Topher, here is a gallery of the feed and nib out of a metro, didn't want to post a bunch of huge images: https://goo.gl/photos/gmj16V1r8pKFfSLg7

Whoops didn't see that! Thanks! It does look like it's basically the same, but the parallel's is shorter. I think I'll end up giving it a shot if I don't like the body of the Parallel.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Welp, I really regret just going all in and getting a full bottle of Noodler's Blue Black rather than a number of samples. It's also a bummer that Noodler's is just that way because I was considering getting some Zhivago.

R&K Verdigris was one I was considering, but I think I'll have to wait until I finish the Noodler's because that would just be a waste. Oh well, lesson learned. Good to know that Diamine behaves well because I know drat well I'm going to be using a lot of Oxblood :argh:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

TopherCStone posted:

Whoops didn't see that! Thanks! It does look like it's basically the same, but the parallel's is shorter. I think I'll end up giving it a shot if I don't like the body of the Parallel.

It would've helped if you'd mentioned you wanted an italic nib for a Pilot. The nib + feed from the Plumix is fully interchangeable with the Metropolitan and a bunch of other Pilot pens.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Inspired by this thread I recently bought some cheap fountain pens: A Jinhao 599A and a couple of Platinum Preppys. The Jinhao isn't bad, but the threading isn't molded very well so it has a tendency to unscrew the barrel as I write and the nib occasionally needs a second or two before the ink flows and it starts writing. That's fine as I wasn't expecting much from a five dollar pen. It's a neat little pen and I can see myself using it on occasion.

The Preppy is a completely different story and I am just in love with it. Smooth writing, the ink doesn't start and stop, and it's pretty well balanced for a cheap pen; it has completely replaced ballpoint pens as everyday writing instruments for me. My only real complaint about it is that it takes cartridges. I was thinking of converting it to an eyedropper pen but I'm worried about the pen leaking. Are leaks in an eyedropper pen common or are they no big deal?

Also, if I love the Preppy, what's a good higher-quality option for around $30-$50 if I decide to dive deeper into this hobby?

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 7, 2015

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TopherCStone posted:

Thanks, sorry I should have specified I need to see them outside of the pen so I can tell if the feed from a Pilot Parallel will fit.

(also if whoever can do that can also measure the diameter of the feed and how deep into the pen it goes that would be cool too c: )

e:

Not happening from me... I just inked it up.. would be an awful mess.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Zenostein posted:

It is excellently well behaved, but I wouldn't call it a dark blue-black. Maybe it's different with broader nibs, but in everything I've used it in, it'll go on quite dark, but then dry (usually very quickly, which is nice) to a fairly bright blue.

As an aside, I'm not entirely sure what the advice was for, but apparently adding a little water to noodler's inks helps calm them down a little. I think that's for countering nib creep and needlessly heavy flow. Possibly also to lower dry times, it seems people do so for a variety of reasons. Here's a thread on FPN with people's dilution recipes. So that's possibly a thing you could try out, if you have some empty vials or jars or something and feel like playing scientist.

To be honest, I've had to dilute Iroshiuku inks 4:1 with distilled water to get them to dry on a Black & Red notebook. Otherwise days later it would still smear.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I have yet to order a full bottle of anything. I want to order some more samples first. I'm still working my way through the blues and greens I got. What are some more fun colors to try?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Noodler's Ottoman Rose is one of my favorite fun colors. It's a really deep pink and I bought a bottle on impulse after someone at Goulet used it to write on my invoice from an order (pretty good strategy on their part).

Seebee
Mar 13, 2004

Side Effects posted:

The Preppy is a completely different story and I am just in love with it. Smooth writing, the ink doesn't start and stop, and it's pretty well balanced for a cheap pen; it has completely replaced ballpoint pens as everyday writing instruments for me. My only real complaint about it is that it takes cartridges. I was thinking of converting it to an eyedropper pen but I'm worried about the pen leaking. Are leaks in an eyedropper pen common or are they no big deal?

Also, if I love the Preppy, what's a good higher-quality option for around $30-$50 if I decide to dive deeper into this hobby?

I have about 6 that I converted to eyedroppers and have had zero leaks since doing it about 3 weeks ago. I don't think it's that big of an issue. Goulet pens sells some good clear silicon grease, and I bought some rubber o rings from Amazon for super cheap. It's actually really easy to convert. There's a video on the Goulet website and an easy step by step guide on Jetpens as well. Or you can pay an extra $2.00 for a new Preppy and Goulet will do it for you.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Anyone have an TWSBI Eco yet? The reviews I'm seeing shows a complete redesign that might deal with the cracking, and I haven't seen any reports of issues. I wish the cap and piston knob came in clear as well though, I love demonstrators.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

grack posted:

It would've helped if you'd mentioned you wanted an italic nib for a Pilot. The nib + feed from the Plumix is fully interchangeable with the Metropolitan and a bunch of other Pilot pens.

Fuckin' a, this is good to hear!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Solkanar512 posted:

Anyone have an TWSBI Eco yet? The reviews I'm seeing shows a complete redesign that might deal with the cracking, and I haven't seen any reports of issues. I wish the cap and piston knob came in clear as well though, I love demonstrators.

I have an Eco. The one-piece body is nice, and removes one of the possibilities for stress cracks. It feels lighter than a Diamond 580, and I really like the design of the cap and piston. The completely clear section is also cool -- you can see the ink pooling on top of the nib. I really have no complaints about the pen, but I haven't really used it extensively -- it's pretty new, and I have so many pens inked at the moment...

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Everything Burrito posted:

Noodler's Ottoman Rose is one of my favorite fun colors. It's a really deep pink and I bought a bottle on impulse after someone at Goulet used it to write on my invoice from an order (pretty good strategy on their part).

Noodles cactus fruit is also every pretty and it plays well with my pilot parallel.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

I like mine. I've been using it as my main semi-disposable pen for almost two weeks and I don't really have any real complaints. It honestly seems a little more durable than my 580s, though it picks up microscratches far faster. The section is pretty skinny, but it's not uncomfortable. My EF nib in hilariously wet and came with a bad case of reverse grand canyon syndrome, but it's perfectly usable.

I doubt my experiences with the nib are representative of most of those sold. I've just been too lazy to bitch at TWSBI over a $30 pen.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

grack posted:

Ah, but the Plumix has too small a nib for my taste! And it lacks the whole Parallel gimmick. I'm blazing new ground for a reason!

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

GoodBee posted:

I have yet to order a full bottle of anything. I want to order some more samples first. I'm still working my way through the blues and greens I got. What are some more fun colors to try?

In my opinion the best purples available are J Herbin violette pensee and R&K cassia.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

pienipple posted:

J. Herbin, De Atramentis, Diamine, and Rohrer and Klingner are my favorites for their very vivid colors and good properties.

Which R&K inks are you using? I have Alt-Goldgrun and it feathers on everything I've tried.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Cassia and one of the blues. Konigsblau I think?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

If you're looking for a great blue-black, my favorite is J. Herbin Bleu Nuit or Diamine 1864 Blue-Black. Both well behaved, easy to clean and beautiful.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I am a big fan of R&K Verdegris, it is my blue/black of choice, I have in my Eco right now actually, which I am also quite fond of. It writes smoother than any other steel nib I have owned, and shades quite nicely with the Verdegris, it's not as dry as my Metros are.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Can someone suggest some stub/italic nibs I could put into a TWSBI Eco? Their 1.1 stub is too big for my handwriting compared to other brands' 1.1 nibs.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Okay, would anyone be interested in buying my Noodler's Blue Black, :10bux: shipped?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

kim jong-illin posted:

Can someone suggest some stub/italic nibs I could put into a TWSBI Eco? Their 1.1 stub is too big for my handwriting compared to other brands' 1.1 nibs.

Apparently the 5.5 nibs here fpr the eco fine. I'm thinking of getting one but I only read they fit. I want a good flex nib but these here are a bit stiff but are less stiff than the noodler flex nib.

http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/nibs.html

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 9, 2015

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
If anyone's looking for a dirt cheap pen storage solution--

I got this canvas cloth wrap from eBay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161714033529?_&var=460687089506

and the size of each compartment is great for storing even thicker pens like my Kaigelu 316. The pleather tab on the strings fell off like 3 days after I got it, but for $3, I'm not complaining. (Okay, the face sucks but that style was the only style I could find with suitable innards.) It's pretty sturdy otherwise.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Fall posted:

and the size of each compartment is great for storing even thicker pens like my Kaigelu 316. The pleather tab on the strings fell off like 3 days after I got it, but for $3, I'm not complaining. (Okay, the face sucks but that style was the only style I could find with suitable innards.) It's pretty sturdy otherwise.

Do you prefer the grumpy face, flat face, wookie face, or generally-discontented face?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

GoldenNugget posted:

Apparently the 5.5 nibs here fpr the eco fine. I'm thinking of getting one but I only read they fit. I want a good flex nib but these here are a bit stiff but are less stiff than the noodler flex nib.

http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/nibs.html

The Eco is supposed to fit the nibs from the Mini as well.

Unrelated, I bought a brand new Platinum 3776 in bourgogne with a soft fine nib on eBay from a Japanese seller for $86. That will be a nice present to myself in a few weeks!

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

My Man Shran posted:

Do you prefer the grumpy face, flat face, wookie face, or generally-discontented face?

Vampire Face.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Fall posted:

This is advertising I can get behind! I don't like that they apparently send you a random colour and you just choose the type you want.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Fwiw, they did give me the style I chose.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

NeurosisHead posted:

The Eco is supposed to fit the nibs from the Mini as well.

Unrelated, I bought a brand new Platinum 3776 in bourgogne with a soft fine nib on eBay from a Japanese seller for $86. That will be a nice present to myself in a few weeks!

I bought a pen from Japan on 8/10, and I picked it up from the post office in loving Iowa today 8/14. Holy poo poo Japan your postal system is loving nuts. If anyone is curious, Platinum's "soft" nibs are awesome. I'd compare it more to the FA nib on the Custom 912 than the nib on the Falcon. Really nice to write with.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I have some trouble with my Prera's cap. Apparently I pushed the plastic bit inside too far in, and now when I post the pen the cap has the tendency to pop off (no problem so far when I cap the pen). Does anyone have some experience fixing this kind of things and/or disassembling a Prera cap to fix it? I tried pulling the plastic piece out with pliers, but the cap's too narrow and the pliers don't fit.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I fixed the same issue in a metro by using a metal tool to lever the cap liner back up where it belongs. I did rip a chunk out of the liner edge doing it though, so maybe a last resort for the Prera.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

If you need ink, Massdrop has your choice of 3 Rohrer & Klingner 50mL bottles for $19.99 plus shipping. I'd jump on it but I think I'm well stocked-up for now.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Titus Sardonicus posted:

If you need ink, Massdrop has your choice of 3 Rohrer & Klingner 50mL bottles for $19.99 plus shipping. I'd jump on it but I think I'm well stocked-up for now.

I was all excited when I saw this in my email but then I went to join and they were already out of Alt-Goldgrun :mad:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, I think I should have pointed out that there is a limited number of each color. But if they still have what you want, it's seems like a pretty drat good deal.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Thanks to Craigslist I just bought a Meisterstuck Classique for $70 (retail listing here). The trim on the lip of the section is dinged up pretty badly, but the nib is perfect and there's hardly any micro abrasions on the barrel. Thanks, pawn shop owner, for not knowing what you had. Will post pics after I finish tearing it down and cleaning it.

e: photos here.

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 20, 2015

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I want a dark green ink I'm afraid of diamine because I used some chesterfield and it sucked.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

tater_salad posted:

I want a dark green ink I'm afraid of diamine because I used some chesterfield and it sucked.

Montblanc Irish Green. If you've got a wet nib then it's a really pretty emerald with tons of shading. If you just want something green but very dark I like De Atrementis Dark Reseda Pine.

e:VVVVV Nah. Noodler's inks are notoriously finnicky, but a couple of my favorite inks are from Noodler's.

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I really like noodles army green.. is that a poo poo ink?