Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Gimme Fedor Tyutin. Older and maybe fading a bit, but still serviceable. My vet quotient is definitely filled on the blueline though. I'm gonna try and put some time in on the spreadsheet when I get in front of a computer proper at some point tonight. Also I am going away for the weekend, does someone feel like letting me email them my secret recipe just in case my turn comes up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

it is now JoelJoel's pick

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

JoelJoel's turn lapsed one minute before the cutoff, so if Jordan is around he can keep things rolling

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm surprised he's still available: Mikkel Boedker.

I expect he'll play a full season and get 50 points on my first line as the defensive presence, unless some rookie wows their way into that spot. Sucks that I'm passing up a center here, but I think he's probably the BPA.

Leaves me with:

Boedker - Tavares - Eberle
Bailey - Silfverberg

Methot - Klefbom
EJohnson

Lundqvist

e: edited for bolding

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 7, 2015

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Since I missed out on one Brayden, St. Louis must go with another and take D Brayden McNabb.

Sadly, "Buttcheckin'" Brayden McNabb didn't catch as a nickname.

Brayden McNabb
Pos:
Defence
Cap Hit: $650,000 through 2015-16 (RFA)

The youth movement in St. Louis continues with the addition of McNabb. Last season was Brayden's first extended look at NHL action, and while he may not have reached the lofty expectations people had for him, he certainly played well. Spending a good deal of time on LA's second pairing thanks partly to Voynov's suspension, McNabb more or less showed how effective a two-way blueliner he could be. McNabb is a skilled puck mover with positive possession numbers that can fill in almost any role, including the power play and PK. The biggest concern is the fact that while he scored 24 points in 71 games, only 2 of those were goals. McNabb's shooting percentage was a lousy 2.7%. If McNabb want to establish himself as an offensive threat and potential first pairing defenceman someday, that number will need to go up. That said, he's still only 24 and should have plenty of time to develop his game.

I GOT THEM St. LOUIS BUTTCHECKIN' BLUES

C. Kreider - M. Koivu - G. Nyquist
__________ - C. McDavid - A. Burakovsky

M. Vlasic - K. Shattenkirk
B. McNabb - ____________

S. Mason

lazerwolf can pick next.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 7, 2015

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm surprised he's still available: Mikkel Boedker.

I expect he'll play a full season and get 50 points on my first line as the defensive presence, unless some rookie wows their way into that spot. Sucks that I'm passing up a center here, but I think he's probably the BPA.

Leaves me with:

Boedker - Tavares - Eberle
Bailey - Silfverberg

Methot - Klefbom
EJohnson

Lundqvist

e: edited for bolding

I figured he wouldn't keep dropping but still

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I never ended up doing a write-up for Giroux? Whoops.

Claude Giroux, C, 27, $8-something-million-honestly-the-little-numbers-after-the-eight-probably-don't-matter for the rest of the decade

Why did I pick Claude Giroux?

He remains one of the most and consistently productive forwards, let alone centers, of the decade despite a down year in 2014-15. And down years are no reason to panic. You just have to be patient with these things.

More a playmaker than a goalscorer, but man can he score goals with those sweet...

...sweet...

...delicious....

...hands.

His fancy stats may not look too impressive when viewed in comparison to the rest of the league, but that's at least partially the fault of all the blue line poo poo that he's been forced to step on the ice with over the last few years. He's just 27, and provides me with a gamebreaking number one center whom opposing teams can't ignore for years to come.

Claude Grrrroux

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Now the picks while I was away:

Matt Niskanen, 28, D, $5.75m through 2021

<fart>

Not a flashy player, Niskanen is a solid two-way defenseman who is strong his own end and can move the puck up the ice quickly with his passing ability. He's an easy top pairing D on most teams in the league, and though you probably wouldn't want him to be your no. 1, his ability to drive possession was a strong contributor to noted boat anchor Karl Alzner's career season. He's young enough and plays the type of game that he's unlikely to lose much if any efficacy over the length of his contract, and the cap hit is reasonable for what he brings. Lining up behind Barrie, he'll provide a steadying and competent defensive presence while maintaining an offensive threat on the second pairing.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

And in this corner, standing five feet eleven inches tall, and weighing in at 198 lbs, it's number fourteen, the Cathorse, the Feline Equine, the Czech who demands respec', Tomas Plekanec, 32, C, $5m this season then UFA.

Plekanec may be getting up there in years, but he's still an effective two-way center, as he showed once again this year by putting up 60 points while routinely playing a shutdown role against the opposition's best lines.

Stamkos? Ovechkin? Crosby? Kessel?

Motherfuckin' Plekanec.

He's UFA after this season, whatever, we'll resign him. Currently, Plekanec is pretty much the Canadiens' best center - IMO. And, sure, that may say less about Plekanec than it does the Canadiens, but in Washington, he'll be objectively third behind Giroux and Couture, giving me what I think is a pretty strong trio down the middle. With Couture and Plex both being centers who can neutralize the best opposing teams have to offer or capitalize on weak competition, Giroux's line will no doubt be able to find openings to do a lot of damage.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ryan Callahan, 30, C, $5.8m through 2021

Not pretty - that describes Ryan Callahan's game and face, the two of which abandon all pretenses of finesse or structure in favor of an all-out assault on the senses. Not unsurprisingly, this led to a lot of injuries - though largely in the days of Tortorella's insistence that all players play goalie at all times. When healthy, however, his shot, tenacity, and other intangible qualities that only a mother could love combine to make him a near lock for ~25 goals and 50+ points. Responsible and relentless in all three zones, his game should be a good complement to Giroux's finesse playmaking ability, and on his wing is where he'll likely line up.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Infidel Castro posted:

JoelJoel's turn lapsed one minute before the cutoff, so if Jordan is around he can keep things rolling

Well that was a loving dick move.

I'll take bogosian. Plays big minutes, smart in his own end, and would kill it if he wasn't always on trash fire teams.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

And to date last, but certainly not least, Alex Tanguay Teuvo Teravainen, 20, C, $1.34m through 2017

(Don't let those sad baby eyes fool you - Draco Malfoy over there will undress you and leave you with a pair of broken ankles before you can reflexively loosen your bowels)

Teuvo, or as I like to call him, "Little G," has in my view the potential to become a Claude Giroux-level player. He's explosive, has a terrific shot, beautiful hands and just seems to be dangerous whenever he's on the ice. He's been playing in Liiga against grown rear end dudes since he was 17, and led his team in scoring last year as a 19 year old with a nearly PPG pace - no easy feat. Q seemed reticent to use him when first called up this season, and when he did use him didn't do so optimally. But when he was finally managed properly in the playoffs, he responded by scoring some big goals and putting up respectable numbers. And he's going to be barely 21 when next season starts. He needs to work on the defensive side of his game, sure, but he's got upside like mad. In an ideal world, I'd entertain the idea of him stepping into Plex's role within the next few years as the old man gets older, but whether he ends up playing center or not, he's got a whole lot of good ones to learn from in Washington in the meantime.

Whew, now that that's all out of the way, here's what my team theoretically looks like:

* - Giroux - Callahan
Toffoli - Couture - *
Teuvo - Plekanec - *

Barrie - *
Niskanen - *

<goalie>

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Let's start the day off.

Minnesota Wild select Brian Campbell

Cap be damned!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

brian campbell rules. go brian campbell.

Starsfan is up and his clock starts ticking at 10:00 AM, , Verviticus has 2 picks to make whenever he returns from the great beyond

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

lazerwolf posted:

Let's start the day off.

Cap be damned!

Fuuuuuckkkkkk yoooooouuuuuuuuuu

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

lazerwolf posted:

Let's start the day off.

Cap be damned!

gently caress. I was hoping his contract would scare people off

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Well Florida needs a forward to round out their top 6, I'll take RW/LW Alexander Killorn

Killorn has scored at a .5 ppg pace for his first two and a half seasons in the league fairly consistently, then he bumped the production up in the playoffs this year and had a great run with Tampa Bay. Killorn is a guy who plays surprisingly large minutes for Tampa Bay at even strength and on the power play. Seems like a team could expect around 20 goals a year from him and good two way play given his decent underlying numbers. I also like his age and the fact he will be a RFA after the expiration of his contract at the end of this season.

Ladd - Seguin - Killorn
Niederreiter - Scheifele - Coyle

Josi - Hamonic
xxxx - Dillon

**Drunk Canuck is up next in the draft

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 7, 2015

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

at 12:51, drunk canuck's 2 hour window expired. Technetium is up

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Hello friends I'm going to take Clarke MacArthur because he's really good at hockey. Since people are posting teams:

MacArthur - Johnson - Tatar
Schwartz - Wilson - ?

Maatta - Faulk
? - Green

Ben Bishop

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

CMac was in the pool of dudes I considered before settling on Teravainen. He's not really going to be on your first line, though, is he?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I need a veteran dman to give me some stability in the top 4. Ergo, I will take Jeff Petry. He's not top pairing material but he's a serviceable second pair guy I think.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
MacArthur plays to the abilities of his linemates. He's not going to create a ton of offense but he's very smart and one of the best cycling players in the league. Unfortunately his linemates on Technetium's team are small children so I don't know how that would work out.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
After all my Larsson shittalk I'm going to take another maybe bust maybe his team's best d-man this year Ryan Murray.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

You guys are breaking my balls here.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

After all my Larsson shittalk I'm going to take another maybe bust maybe his team's best d-man this year Ryan Murray.

You son of a bitch he was so close

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

gently caress

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

CMac is a good player but he's not top line material and there are better forwards on the board both from an overall and a youth perspective. Certainly not a bad pick, though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JoelJoel posted:

CMac is a good player but he's not top line material and there are better forwards on the board both from an overall and a youth perspective. Certainly not a bad pick, though.

Feel free to PM me a list of these better, younger top line forwards still on board.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

eXXon posted:

Feel free to PM me a list of these better, younger top line forwards still on board.

I said nothing about top line. However, I do find inner peace by helping the differently able, so I'll happily send you a list of better hockey players.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 7, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
E.Staal-J.Staal
JVR-Henrique

Karlsson-DeKeyser
Murray-Pouliot

Rask

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

we're at the point where people are just going to feel differently about relative skill

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You son of a bitch he was so close

he wasnt getting past me :(

gently caress.

I might not be around for my pick, anybody I can send it to?

thanks

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tremendous Taste posted:

we're at the point where people are just going to feel differently about relative skill

Not just that but people are now heading in different directions in what they want/need so what you might desire another team might not.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

stab posted:

he wasnt getting past me :(

gently caress.

I might not be around for my pick, anybody I can send it to?

thanks

hmu

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JoelJoel posted:

I said nothing about top line. However, I do find inner peace by helping the differently able, so I'll happily send you a list of better hockey players.

Don't break your wrists typing up the names of the three players with better 5v5 P/60 than MacArthur over the past two seasons who haven't already been picked.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

eXXon posted:

Don't break your wrists typing up the names of the three players with better 5v5 P/60 than MacArthur over the past two seasons who haven't already been picked.

I only go my +/-

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

JoelJoel posted:

Man if you say so, cmac is pretty good and has been playing on Ottawa's top line pretty well. He's more of an intangible veteran presence and I don't know if Jaden had played top line minutes yet.

Edit: better younger players on the board: David Clarkson, David Bolland, David Jones

Technetium fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 7, 2015

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So who's on the clock? I've got lovely young forwards that likely won't make it in the nhl to pick here!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

So Habibi is up now right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Did RC Cola get skipped? In that case, taking James Wisniewski. Mid workout now so I'll write him up in a few.

• Locked thread