Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I appreciate how Theodoro still stands independent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

My latest hands-off game yielded some pretty interesting results.

Which minor ate Ming? And holy poo poo that Commonwealth, also Russia being murdered in the crib and nobody taking Siberia just like God intended. Also it seems, at least from my 3-4 games, that a few things always happen post-CS, including:

Tabarestan getting swole, and Persia being unimpressive
Korea going straight north
Scandinavia forming

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Iirc, light blue in China is Ning.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

A story:

I am AI Austria. Human Russia has been my best friend and closest ally for almost 200 years. They've answered all my calls to arms, helped fight against existential threat France, kept my rival the Ottomans weak, and apart from the unpleasant Lithuanian business have made absolutely no moves into Europe. They've even dedicated a diplomat to do nothing but hang out in Wien and be friendly. Now the year is 1720 and despite having like 2 coastal provinces, a single-digit naval force limit, and absolutely no colonizing ideas, I'm going to click the mission to establish myself in the spice islands. It gives me claims on all Russian holdings in the area, instantly rockets me to negative relations, and so I break my alliance and declare a new rival.

But seriously gently caress that mechanic. It's so stupid and arbitrary. It could probably be easily fixed by preventing you from getting claims if you're allied to the nation in question. And how is Austria just magically getting a ton of claims in Western-held land that they have no real ability to get to?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bort Bortles posted:

edit: Is that the Livonian Order out in Russia? And Moldavia got Sinope?
Yes to both.

Zettace posted:

Iirc, light blue in China is Ning.
This is more moldy green-blue, which is Huai.

Another Person posted:

I appreciate how Theodoro still stands independent.
Third strongest Orthodox power in the world! :v:

Prop Wash posted:

Also it seems, at least from my 3-4 games, that a few things always happen post-CS, including:

Scandinavia forming
At least this time Denmark was actually part of Scandinavia at the end, rather than having been gobbled up by a German not-so-minor-now.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

I don't know, man, just somebody wandering around America, eating people.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a way to get an easy overview of how many forts I have and what level they are? Preferably with a way to click on one and it'll center the view to that province for easy upgrading.

Gitro posted:

I don't know, man, just somebody wandering around America, eating people.
One of my conquistadors has been at three human meat festivals already. Unfortunately the event had my nations name and not . :negative:

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 7, 2015

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Poil posted:

Is there a way to get an easy overview of how many forts I have and what level they are? Preferably with a way to click on one and it'll center the view to that province for easy upgrading.

One of my conquistadors has been at three human meat festivals already. Unfortunately the event had my nations name and not . :negative:

I don't even have a colonising idea, let alone a conquistador :v:

You can check number of forts on your military screen, with the mothball/activate all buttons. You can try fort mapmode for their level but I never have, just go to your build menu, click on the latest fort you can build and look for dark green provinces/provinces you don't have to pay the full cost for. You can do it while being zoomed out quite far, so unless you're super-Russia or something it shouldn't be too hard to get them all.

I don't know if there's an actual easy way.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gitro posted:

I don't even have a colonising idea, let alone a conquistador :v:

You can check number of forts on your military screen, with the mothball/activate all buttons. You can try fort mapmode for their level but I never have, just go to your build menu, click on the latest fort you can build and look for dark green provinces/provinces you don't have to pay the full cost for. You can do it while being zoomed out quite far, so unless you're super-Russia or something it shouldn't be too hard to get them all.
Novgorod, so I have forts from the Pacific to the Caspian Sea to the North Sea. :v:

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Poil posted:

Novgorod, so I have forts from the Pacific to the Caspian Sea to the North Sea. :v:

Well in that case my recommended course of action is to not care until you're about to declare war in a given region.

:effort: is the only way to play.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Caravan power is hilarious once you stack it a little, I got a third of the trade power in Kashmir even though my borders are some distance from any province in the node. Merchant republic plus Trade ideas and it's going to get even better once I get Plutocratic ideas. Thanks for your money suckers.

Gitro posted:

Well in that case my recommended course of action is to not care until you're about to declare war in a given region.

:effort: is the only way to play.
It takes 30 months to build a fort now so it's kinda important to get them up well ahead.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Poil posted:

Caravan power is hilarious once you stack it a little, I got a third of the trade power in Kashmir even though my borders are some distance from any province in the node. Merchant republic plus Trade ideas and it's going to get even better once I get Plutocratic ideas. Thanks for your money suckers.

It takes 30 months to build a fort now so it's kinda important to get them up well ahead.

Forts only matter if you don't kill them on their land first :colbert:

But really, just whack them down on your important borders, then hunt down the ones you have left if you're feeling industrious or whatever. You get partial credit for forts below your max tech level, I'm pretty sure, so if you get the important ones running you shouldn't be losing too much of the army trad bonus.

Either that or switch to fort map mode and click one by one. It's not a good system.

Caravan power is annoying as poo poo as a nation that starts with an inland node. I can control basically every province in Krakow but thanks to a million german minors and the Hansa I have like a 30% share.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The more complicated combat/defense now really makes me wish we had some of HoI's region-based features. I wish I could like, click once to toggle maintenance on all forts in a region. Then again EU4 has like 18 million regions that all overlap for some reason.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How long does it take for mercenaries to update to the latest unit?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Depends on the tech level of you and surrounding countries, but I normally don't see it take more than a year or two. No idea if hiring all old tech mercs and disbanding them refills the pool with new tech. Worth a try though!

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

My latest hands-off game yielded some pretty interesting results.

Is that
Is that the Knights in control of north Africa?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lori posted:

Is that
Is that the Knights in control of north Africa?
Yes. They and the Iberians have largely stamped out Islam in Africa, with Yao owning the only Islamic provinces west of the Nile.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I've got a Florence game going on where the Iberian wedding event annoyingly fired while Aragon still controlled Naples. Just a few years later things got even worse, though:

They had already eaten Morocco before the unions. I kinda want them them to hold on till they integrate, though. Would be a good final boss. :stare:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Chickpea Roar posted:

I've got a Florence game going on where the Iberian wedding event annoyingly fired while Aragon still controlled Naples. Just a few years later things got even worse, though:

They had already eaten Morocco before the unions. I kinda want them them to hold on till they integrate, though. Would be a good final boss. :stare:
The senior partner position in that personal union chain seems to be going straight west. The solution is to move your capital to Florida.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The OE has been so pathetic this game I am seriously considering selling Constantinople to them for the culture / religion change and extra development (I am Karaman). Diplomatic AI honestly needs a rework, it can totally destroy some countries if they don't even try to expand.

E:

To clarify I'm talking about the diplomatic ruler personality which seems to more realistically be "never do anything". OE could have easily taken a bunch of provinces in Greece and/or the Balkans and givn me a decent round 2 fight but instead I had more men than them and they got steamrollered.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 7, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Prop Wash posted:

Russia help from some fine upstanding people

Okay, I've given the game a couple days break since it was a downer to mess up my Russia game. I'm going to try again, starting as Muscovy and going for A Decent Reserve. From the advice given, my idea order is going to be Religious -> Exploration -> Offensive/Defensive (depends on how the game is going, Defensive helps a bit with the economy too) -> Administrative -> Quantity -> Trade -> Not sure -> Not sure (suggestions on the last two would be helpful, especially if I can enact policies which give +manpower.)

I plan to be much more aggressive this time. I won't take a bite out of Poland/Lithuania/PLC unless they're weakened by a war. What advice do you have about which direction I should be headed with my conquests? Besides the obvious Kazan/Sibir/Crimea (if they don't ally the Ottodorks.) Should I chew into India, release a vassal, so the vassal breaks my land connection to India, reducing further Indian coring costs significantly? Then releasing the vassal after I've cored most of it.

And secondly, how exactly should I get to Danzig? Poland gets that almost immediately, and along with not being close to it, I have to war the PLC which might not be feasible.

Thanks comrades!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Node posted:

Okay, I've given the game a couple days break since it was a downer to mess up my Russia game. I'm going to try again, starting as Muscovy and going for A Decent Reserve. From the advice given, my idea order is going to be Religious -> Exploration -> Offensive/Defensive (depends on how the game is going, Defensive helps a bit with the economy too)

I find that Defensive is very hard to argue against for the first pick. The fort maintenance is almost mandatory, the army maintenance matters, the army tradition decay, the reduced attrition - it fits very nicely.

quote:

-> Quantity

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

quote:

-> Trade -> Not sure -> Not sure (suggestions on the last two would be helpful, especially if I can enact policies which give +manpower.)

After Admin I'd go either Influence if you are doing a lot of vassalizing and such or military if not. Why not go Offensive + something else to round it out.

quote:

I plan to be much more aggressive this time. I won't take a bite out of Poland/Lithuania/PLC unless they're weakened by a war. What advice do you have about which direction I should be headed with my conquests?

I personally head more south than I used to, towards the ottomans, and much more towards India than before. China used to be free beer but with Ming basically France these days, it's a lot easier to make your way through Timurids / Afghanistan into India.

quote:

And secondly, how exactly should I get to Danzig? Poland gets that almost immediately, and along with not being close to it, I have to war the PLC which might not be feasible.

Grab the Livonian Order / Riga holdings. Usually after the very first war between LO + TO + Friends vs Poland etc, that alliance will break. Then you can either try to snipe or release / vassalize Danzig. Generally the second is easier.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Node posted:

Okay, I've given the game a couple days break since it was a downer to mess up my Russia game. I'm going to try again, starting as Muscovy and going for A Decent Reserve. From the advice given, my idea order is going to be Religious -> Exploration -> Offensive/Defensive (depends on how the game is going, Defensive helps a bit with the economy too) -> Administrative -> Quantity -> Trade -> Not sure -> Not sure (suggestions on the last two would be helpful, especially if I can enact policies which give +manpower.)

I plan to be much more aggressive this time. I won't take a bite out of Poland/Lithuania/PLC unless they're weakened by a war. What advice do you have about which direction I should be headed with my conquests? Besides the obvious Kazan/Sibir/Crimea (if they don't ally the Ottodorks.) Should I chew into India, release a vassal, so the vassal breaks my land connection to India, reducing further Indian coring costs significantly? Then releasing the vassal after I've cored most of it.

Thanks comrades!

You can release Danzig out of Poland later, you'll be fighting them eventually. But a devious idea I've been tossing around in my head is:
  • Don't rival Lithuania right away. Instead rival anyone Poland hates, presumably Denmark.
  • See if you can snag an alliance with Poland right off the start.
  • DoW the TO like immediately. Just keep that war rolling until Poland gets handed a new king. They can't form the union if they're at war.
  • Cackle as Lithuania gets much easier to beat.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

You can release Danzig out of Poland later, you'll be fighting them eventually. But a devious idea I've been tossing around in my head is:
  • Don't rival Lithuania right away. Instead rival anyone Poland hates, presumably Denmark.
  • DoW the TO like immediately. Just keep that war rolling until Poland gets handed a new king. They can't form the union if they're at war.

No CB the TO? Or am I not paying attention and would I somehow have Holy War on them?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

How do you spawn revolutionary rebels? I'm playing an OE game where I go for 1k provinces and a million manpower. Even though I haven't connected most of Africa and Southeast Asia yet Ihave only a handful accepted cultures. To get more I'll probably need both policies but the only rebels I get are separatists. Not that it is strictly necessary of course but what is the point of playing the Ottos if your accepted cultures don't break the table?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Node posted:

No CB the TO? Or am I not paying attention and would I somehow have Holy War on them?

In my game they allied the LO; I declared on them and dragged the TO in. There's no way you could get 2 techs and Deus Vult before Poland takes Danzig, they seem to do that first thing every game.

Pitt's strategy is better than what I did though, I didn't even think about allying Poland and forcing them into the war. I just waited for them to declare on TO, and when they did I also declared and got access through Lithuania to race a couple of my units over to Danzig and Konigsberg (for the fort to demand stuff) to make sure I led the sieges before Poland could. I started out by day-1 declaring on Novgorod like usual to make sure I had a Baltic Sea port cored in time for the peace demand too.

It was a bit hairy in places (the Novgorod peace deal made Lithuania outraged towards me and I only just managed turn that around and get access in time) but it worked out in the end, and getting instant westernization was pretty sweet. I think I'd have had a lot of trouble dealing with Poland-Lithuania when I was at tech 10 so I'm glad I ran for it early.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 7, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Koramei posted:

In my game they allied the LO; I declared on them and dragged the TO in. There's no way you could get 2 techs and Deus Vult before Poland takes Danzig, they seem to do that first thing every game.

Pitt's strategy is better than what I did though, I didn't even think about allying Poland and forcing them into the war. I just waited for them to declare on TO, and when they did I also declared and got access through Lithuania to race a couple of my units over to Danzig and Konigsberg (for the fort to demand stuff) to make sure I led the sieges before Poland could. I started out by day-1 declaring on Novgorod like usual to make sure I had a Baltic Sea port cored in time for the peace demand too.

It was a bit hairy in places (the Novgorod peace deal made Lithuania outraged towards me and I only just managed turn that around and get access in time) but it worked out in the end, and getting instant westernization was pretty sweet. I think I'd have had a lot of trouble dealing with Poland-Lithuania when I was at tech 10 so I'm glad I ran for it early.

That's a pretty sneaky start. It might take a few tries, but that would really pay off.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there really no way to get a casus belli against a Westernized former tribe that borders one of your colonial nations? My Louisiana and Eastern US CNs are starting to push forward but now there's a fairly sizable Illiniwek blob holding them up. Can't fabricate claims and my CNs don't have any CBs against them. I can eventually ally+vassalize them but I really don't feel like doing that when I could take all their land in like three months if I go to war. Is there just something I'm missing? It seems kind of weird that there isn't just a Colonial Expansion CB or something that lets you declare war on your CN's neighbors on their behalf.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

VDay posted:

Is there really no way to get a casus belli against a Westernized former tribe that borders one of your colonial nations? My Louisiana and Eastern US CNs are starting to push forward but now there's a fairly sizable Illiniwek blob holding them up. Can't fabricate claims and my CNs don't have any CBs against them. I can eventually ally+vassalize them but I really don't feel like doing that when I could take all their land in like three months if I go to war. Is there just something I'm missing? It seems kind of weird that there isn't just a Colonial Expansion CB or something that lets you declare war on your CN's neighbors on their behalf.

Has everything around them been colonized already? If you start a colony and it's adjacent to something, while it's building / before it completes it's like your territory and you get all your standard wardecs available.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Node posted:

No, you'd have to declare with no CB. But what's 200ADM and 75DIP in the grand scheme of things? Unless you could somehow get a CB on the LO and attack them, but I can't see any way to do that fast enough to deny Poland the union.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
TO-LO alliance seems to happen not irregularly. Since this something you'd be wanting to start planning around day 1 you could just restart until it happens. e: wow i need to learn to read

If you start fabricating immediately you might get lucky. I dunno.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

I'd much rather have the union to deal with. They're going to be allied and Lithuania will be outraged with you no matter what, but you can easy ally Poland and just let Lithuania stew as their overlord forces them to be friends with you. Later on, before they get close to forming the commonwealth, you can pick up Austria and start demolishing them. This is how I deal with them as Novgorod at least.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mehrunes posted:

I'd much rather have the union to deal with. They're going to be allied and Lithuania will be outraged with you no matter what, but you can easy ally Poland and just let Lithuania stew as their overlord forces them to be friends with you. Later on, before they get close to forming the commonwealth, you can pick up Austria and start demolishing them. This is how I deal with them as Novgorod at least.

The thing is you can always be in a war with Poland and declare on Lithuania then. All those provinces with acceptable culture are a nice boost. I wish I had gone this route in my Russia playthrough.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Rakthar posted:

quote:

Quantity

Am I missing something? Is there a way to get A Decent Reserve without Quantity that's not literally "conquer 50% more land than you need with Quantity"?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
God this game is good

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Jackson Taus posted:

Am I missing something? Is there a way to get A Decent Reserve without Quantity that's not literally "conquer 50% more land than you need with Quantity"?

Sorry I was trying to make a joke about how much I dislike quantity. It makes a lot of sense for Decent Reserve for sure.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mehrunes posted:

Well the way it works in my head is that by preventing the union, you have to fight Lithuania and her allies (which probably does include Poland), but if you let it form you have to fight Lithuania, Poland, and Poland's allies, which is likely to be a more powerful alliance. The flip side is that you do then have to worry about AE with Lithuania. I don't know for sure which way is better, it's just something that occurred to me, figured I'd get you lot to theorycraft it for me. :v:

Rakthar posted:

Sorry I was trying to make a joke about how much I dislike quantity. It makes a lot of sense for Decent Reserve for sure.

I figured it was a joke about yet another discussion on the merits of Quantity ideas.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I love Quantity but thats probably because I'm terrible at conserving manpower during wars.

Although I do think it is a legitimate first military choice for manpower/force limit starved nations like Portugal, or even Inca.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

How long does it take for mercenaries to update to the latest unit?

Employed mercenaries never update AFAIK. You have to dismiss them and hire new ones.

Edit: unit type of mercenaries available on the hiring screen are a function of who has cores on the province in question, and should update monthly.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I accepted a call to arms and was at war with Lithuania and they had a 30k doomstack just wiping my armies over and over. After I outnumbered them by 10k I managed to just barely beat them, despite that they were several military techs behind and didn't have any military ideas at all. I checked the ledger to see how much manpower they had left and noticed they only had 4k troops but the deathstack was still stomping around. That's when I noticed the army belonged to Bohemia and things suddenly made sense. Derp. Fortunately the overpowered Swedish army beat them down enough to win their war.

• Locked thread