Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ContraceptiveCereal posted:

So I just started playing this with a buddy. It's fun and all but it seems a little counter-intuitive to have a game based on free form builds to have such drastically unbalanced racial abilities. I never paid attention to min/maxing in games before (Tauren priest best priest), but the racials here look really really skewed. Basically what I'm saying here is that I don't want to play a dumb elf. How badly am I shooting myself in the foot if I am playing a non-tanking lizard? How much does it matter end-game, pvp, etc? The more research I do on races and the developers changes on them (+2% potion effectiveness next patch? really?) the more frustrated I get.

Yeah, Argonians have really lovely racials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I WAS being a good sport about it until the loving healer said that.

Best part about it was I never died once while we pushed our way through it, while the rest of the group was loving about and dying.

E: forgot to mention that Redoran was in fact, the 1k+ ping healer.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 6, 2015

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Racials are OK. There's been a few times on my NB where I sneak attacked a mob and got it to 5% hp and thought, "man if I was a bosmer he would have been one shot". Ultimately though I like the way my dunmer looks, and that's no kidding super important in an MMO because you'll be spending a lot of time looking at your guy. Every race has some facials that will benefit you somehow. OK maybe a bosmer mag caster might suck bit more but otherwise who cares. It's not like people will be all " uh argonian mag DK? Why aren't you a dark elf, get out of our raid" and if they do tell them to gently caress themselves.

Manmower
Feb 22, 2013
I've made myself a Redguard Sorcerer, have I completely boned myself or is this salvageable? I'm already into the VRs.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!
I feel like I'm being set up. But just in case, I have two v14 redguard sorcs, and here's what they're up to:

bar 1 single (2h): rally + evil hunter + wrecking blow + executioner + bound armaments + (u) flawless dawnbreaker
bar 2 aoe (2h): critical surge + critical rush + evil hunter + brawler + bound armaments + (u) flawless dawnbreaker/shooting star/power overload/suppression field

early: 5 hunding's/3 ashen, all medium, divines, precise, max stamina/stamina cost reduction with warrior mundus
final: 5 hunding's/5 ravagers/master 2h, 5 medium/2 heavy, divines, precise, max stamina/stamina cost reduction with thief mundus

Keep critical surge and rally up at all times. Wrecking blows will frequently give you 10k heals. Brawler will give you a 2400 point damage shield for every monster you hit, with an extra 3k heals from critical surge. If you still need emergency heals, use rally (generally full heals every 10 seconds) or critical rush (it always crits so 5k heals guaranteed and spammable).

Congratulations, you are now indestructible. When the patch drops, the internal cooldown on surge is going from 0.25s to 0.10s, so it'll get even better.

Fun fact, if you have 1000 ultimate saved up, dumping all your ultimate into power overload light attacks is about 700k damage.

e: Comedy option, bar 2 tank (2h): rally + critical surge + inner fire + brawler + bound armaments + (u) whatever, now you are medium armor tank. It works on any of the gold keys where you're allowed to do damage as a tank (not banished cells or crypt of hearts). I duo'ed v12 vet elden hollow with this.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 6, 2015

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Manmower posted:

I've made myself a Redguard Sorcerer, have I completely boned myself or is this salvageable? I'm already into the VRs.

Nope. Pay the crowns and re-attribute and re-skill yourself.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

To be honest I think people worry too much about if racials are viable. All of the races are viable for whatever. There is a khajit templar who's healed all the content in the game on Tamriel Foundary.

Something can be viable even if it's not min maxed

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm a Dunmer Templar Archer/sort-of-healer who loves to also throw fireballs! I have no idea what I'm doing, in terms of efficient builds! :kingsley:

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
If someone says "you can't do x" in this game, it means "you can't do x and be #1 on the leaderboard".

My nord (+1% dps from racials) can dps all the endgame content no problem, just like my imperial (+11%) and redguards (+5%). Of the three, frankly, I prefer the redguards for the sustain.

e: Also, you can ignore all of this build crap until the veteran ranks, and only start thinking about it then if you're having trouble.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 6, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

For real, though, if I want to stop relying on my fireballs (Solar Flare? I don't remember the name of it), I should really be upping my stamina, right?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
If a skill costs magicka, its damage scales as (spell damage * 10.46 + max magicka). If a skill costs stamina, its damage scales as (weapon damage * 10.46 + max stamina).

Now before you have sets that boost weapon or spell damage, armor enchants, or a large number of attribute points, you can safely pick whatever skills you want from magicka or stamina. But eventually, if you're dps, you'll need to gravitate towards one or the other, otherwise you'll be at about half your potential.

If you like fireballs and feel pressured not to use them, ignore the pressure and keep going. Reflective light is a solid choice for the single-target weave on a magicka dps templar, and it synergizes with your dunmer fire passive. Jesus beam is magic damage, so you'll lose a little there, but you'll still have no trouble getting to 14k dps.

If you want something more stamina-based, I posted my 2h build a few pages back. That's what I'd do, but that doesn't mean anything.

The key is to find what's fun first, then you can optimize it like crazy when you get to vr14.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
And one more thing. If anybody says they won't group with you on a gold key because you're a particular race/class/level combination, it's because they are terrible.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

tgidieday posted:

If a skill costs magicka, its damage scales as (spell damage * 10.46 + max magicka). If a skill costs stamina, its damage scales as (weapon damage * 10.46 + max stamina).

Now before you have sets that boost weapon or spell damage, armor enchants, or a large number of attribute points, you can safely pick whatever skills you want from magicka or stamina. But eventually, if you're dps, you'll need to gravitate towards one or the other, otherwise you'll be at about half your potential.

If you like fireballs and feel pressured not to use them, ignore the pressure and keep going. Reflective light is a solid choice for the single-target weave on a magicka dps templar, and it synergizes with your dunmer fire passive. Jesus beam is magic damage, so you'll lose a little there, but you'll still have no trouble getting to 14k dps.

If you want something more stamina-based, I posted my 2h build a few pages back. That's what I'd do, but that doesn't mean anything.

The key is to find what's fun first, then you can optimize it like crazy when you get to vr14.

What is a "spell"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

tgidieday posted:

Well, while I do sort of enjoy using fireballs, I want to really be a Templar archer who heals, so I'm trying to focus more on that. My bow skill is much higher than whatever my fireball spell is, it's just that I run out of stamina quickly, and end up spamming the fireball to finish mobs off. I'd rather be able to take care of everything with my bow, which I'm sure will happen eventually.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

tgidieday posted:

And one more thing. If anybody says they won't group with you on a gold key because you're a particular race/class/level combination, it's because they are terrible.

Eeeeehhhh... Race sure, but class and level is a valid thing to scrutinize. If you're not up to par with the rest of the group, then that's a valid concern for the group.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I run out of stamina quickly

Three stamina cost reduction glyphs on your jewelry will solve that. If you go all-in on stamina, your heals will consist of 4k breath of life (three casts with purple food) and 7k remembrance ticks. Handy, but not a main healer.

JackBadass posted:

Eeeeehhhh... Race sure, but class and level is a valid thing to scrutinize. If you're not up to par with the rest of the group, then that's a valid concern for the group.

Every race/class combination can be great in endgame, provided that the player has optimized the build for what they have. Level is fair game for trials/VDSA/VCOA and if you want to actually gain xp. But in gold keys, I've had more far more success than failure with v1 people at v12 scale.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

tgidieday posted:

Every race/class combination can be great in endgame, provided that the player has optimized the build for what they have. Level is fair game for trials/VDSA/VCOA and if you want to actually gain xp. But in gold keys, I've had more far more success than failure with v1 people at v12 scale.

But when you have three DPS in your group and the last guy isn't a healer? That's more than a valid reason to say no thanks. More so if you're all Vwhatever and they're still level 30-something. Like I said, race barely factors in, but class and level are very valid considerations.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Gold key presupposes everyone is veteran rank, and I think you mean "role" instead of class.

You can't tell if someone's going to do a bad job filling their role just from race, class, and level. But you can tell if someone's insecure about their character if they're whining about group composition before you've even started.

Also 4-dps groups are the most fun.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

JackBadass posted:

I'm not really sure how much of a big deal class is aside from a handful of passives if you have a stamina build.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I have no idea what any of you are talking about and there's a good chance I'm playing an entirely different game :(

Then again, I never go around doing things with other people either.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

I have no idea what any of you are talking about and there's a good chance I'm playing an entirely different game :(

Then again, I never go around doing things with other people either.

I'm new to MMOs, and am learning new terms all the loving time with this game. I just like walking around, doing quests, and getting better at woodworking.

Manmower
Feb 22, 2013

tgidieday posted:

I feel like I'm being set up. But just in case, I have two v14 redguard sorcs, and here's what they're up to:

bar 1 single (2h): rally + evil hunter + wrecking blow + executioner + bound armaments + (u) flawless dawnbreaker
bar 2 aoe (2h): critical surge + critical rush + evil hunter + brawler + bound armaments + (u) flawless dawnbreaker/shooting star/power overload/suppression field

early: 5 hunding's/3 ashen, all medium, divines, precise, max stamina/stamina cost reduction with warrior mundus
final: 5 hunding's/5 ravagers/master 2h, 5 medium/2 heavy, divines, precise, max stamina/stamina cost reduction with thief mundus

Keep critical surge and rally up at all times. Wrecking blows will frequently give you 10k heals. Brawler will give you a 2400 point damage shield for every monster you hit, with an extra 3k heals from critical surge. If you still need emergency heals, use rally (generally full heals every 10 seconds) or critical rush (it always crits so 5k heals guaranteed and spammable).

Congratulations, you are now indestructible. When the patch drops, the internal cooldown on surge is going from 0.25s to 0.10s, so it'll get even better.

Fun fact, if you have 1000 ultimate saved up, dumping all your ultimate into power overload light attacks is about 700k damage.

e: Comedy option, bar 2 tank (2h): rally + critical surge + inner fire + brawler + bound armaments + (u) whatever, now you are medium armor tank. It works on any of the gold keys where you're allowed to do damage as a tank (not banished cells or crypt of hearts). I duo'ed v12 vet elden hollow with this.

Thank you for your response, I was in fact being serious as I am currently a VR4 Redguard Sorc. My real concern was PVP and endgame PVE viability of the endgame melee Sorc. I don't have roughly half of those skills (evil hunter, executioner, bound armaments, flawless dawbreaker), so will work on getting those and see how it works out for me. How do you allocate your stat points for these builds?

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
I question about the extras from the explorers edition. We have three accounts. I have the main PSN account and then my sons each have sub accounts. My son put in the codes for extra stuff but I didn't get any of it. I feel like I should be able to access those extras as well.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Manmower posted:

Thank you for your response, I was in fact being serious as I am currently a VR4 Redguard Sorc. My real concern was PVP and endgame PVE viability of the endgame melee Sorc. I don't have roughly half of those skills (evil hunter, executioner, bound armaments, flawless dawbreaker), so will work on getting those and see how it works out for me. How do you allocate your stat points for these builds?

I can't speak for PvP, but it works extremely well for endgame PvE. Attribute points are dependent on gear and comfort level. Go all stamina while leveling, and when you get to VR14 target 18k health minimum (21k recommended). With blue health/stamina food and undaunted 9, I have 9k mana, 21k health, and 32k stamina (with 7 health and 55 stamina attribute points).

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm not really sure how much of a big deal class is aside from a handful of passives if you have a stamina build.

Maybe we're talking about different things here when we talk about "classes". When I talk about classes, I'm referring to Tank, Healer, or DPS, not the four classes in the game (Dragon-something, Nightblade, Sorcerer, and the light-sorcerer-whatever-it's-called). Between the three I'm talking about, it's a huge deal.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Kali11324 posted:

I question about the extras from the explorers edition. We have three accounts. I have the main PSN account and then my sons each have sub accounts. My son put in the codes for extra stuff but I didn't get any of it. I feel like I should be able to access those extras as well.

Nope, only one account gets the bonuses.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

JackBadass posted:

Nope, only one account gets the bonuses.

You think it will be like that for the imperial dlc?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Kali11324 posted:

You think it will be like that for the imperial dlc?

Yes, for certain. ESO's DLC isn't handled in the same way as PSN DLC. PSN DLC is tied to your PSN account, and can be used by all profiles on the PS3/4. ESO's DLC is tied to your ESO account, and is only accessible on that ESO account.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Any reason why I can't add a friend of mine, even though I've been given his username, and even his current character's name, we're on the same platform, in the same faction? I've tried it with and without the @ symbol, and he gets no notifications. At least I don't think... I just told him about the passive skill where the dude mails you materials every day; he didn't know he was getting a notification for them.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Do any of you use the public test server? I can't seem to get the download to go through.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
Hey xbone goons can get wolf bites at some point from myself or/and optimus if you're into that kinda thing. My tag is kamikazg0ldfish

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
Could someone invite me to ps4 guilds? PSN is eerkik, I have to go to work but I'll be back in about 10 or 11 hours :( gonna be a long one, excited to wind down with some eso though. Haven't been playing enough lately (only level 12, hopefully invites can happen while I'm offline)

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Prostheticfoot posted:

Hey xbone goons can get wolf bites at some point from myself or/and optimus if you're into that kinda thing. My tag is kamikazg0ldfish

Sweet, I really need one!

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
Can someone help me with Dragonknight pvp? I seem to be awful at it, and just get destroyed by anyone who hits me with a wet fart. I'm currently a full stam build DK at rank 3.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

New Crown store items. A cool silver armor set, a couple of outfits, and the clouded senche (big cat) mount :neckbeard:

I thought my days of giving games money for pixel rides was over when I stopped playing WoW but holy poo poo I must have it

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I saw someone the other day riding a translucent silver shiny horse. Never saw one before, how do I get one?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

I saw someone the other day riding a translucent silver shiny horse. Never saw one before, how do I get one?

That's funny... DLC kind of started with Oblivion horse armour, and now here we are.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That's funny... DLC kind of started with Oblivion horse armour, and now here we are.

Now watch them put actual horse armor in the cash shop, but this time people throw money at it because :pwn:MMO players:pwn:

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Too bad they're adding the saddlebag toggle for free. They could've had people pay not to have horse armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Flyinglemur posted:

If the one you mean was more blueish, that was a limited edition mount called the Frost Mare that was available for a short time last month. For 3000 crowns :suicide:

• Locked thread