Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Yeah, they were like "well we are really only looking for families and professionals, definitely no students allowed," but whatever. Not worth fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Retirement communities can say '55 & Up only' but that's the only real exception.

What they said is probably illegal.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
"Student" is not a protected class. Their claim is probably that they only take tenants who make X times the rent (perfectly legal to discriminate based on that). If they can show they didn't accept other people who make the same amount, they're fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xandu posted:

Is it illegal to refuse to rent an apartment to someone because they're too young?

It can be a catch 22, because you can't refuse someone because they're 19, but you can because they don't have any credit history. Because they're 19.

edit: I suppose they could broadly discriminate against students legally, unless that had a disparate impact on a protected class. So say they were situated right next to an historically black university, that could potentially be illegal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 7, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Anne Whateley posted:

"Student" is not a protected class. Their claim is probably that they only take tenants who make X times the rent (perfectly legal to discriminate based on that). If they can show they didn't accept other people who make the same amount, they're fine.

Yeah, that's basically what it ended up being. I could have covered the rent easily with a co-signer, but apparently that wasn't acceptable. It more just a sense from talking to the leasing office where they kept stressing the type of person they were looking for and were like "oh you have a job, right? You aren't a student? We only accept professionals here."

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Can't discriminate on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and disability.

As Flash Gordon Ramsey indicates, it is more complicated than that.

But basically, yes, they can say "no students" and "you must be 25 to rent", as long as they avoid discriminating about family status (and... any other protected category).

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Sigh....apparently, my apartment complex decided that they no longer allow moves during the weekend. In fact, you can only move M-F between 9AM and 4PM and a member of staff must be available to supervise at all times. When the gently caress did they decide on this, and who thought that that would be a good idea?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

Sigh....apparently, my apartment complex decided that they no longer allow moves during the weekend. In fact, you can only move M-F between 9AM and 4PM and a member of staff must be available to supervise at all times. When the gently caress did they decide on this, and who thought that that would be a good idea?

Check your lease.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Thanatosian posted:

Check your lease.

When I first moved in to this building, it was on a Saturday. When me and my fiancee moved into a bigger apartment in this same building, we were given the elevator for the entire weekend without supervision. Everyone here moves in or out on the weekends, or at night. It's ridiculous and incredibly inconvenient. They said they would look into what fee they would charge us to move out on a weekend.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
What if you just move out on the weekend? What are they going to do, evict you after you move out?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Guy Axlerod posted:

What if you just move out on the weekend? What are they going to do, evict you after you move out?

Keep your security deposit, generally. Unless you're Thanatosian you probably don't have the time, energy, and resources to spend fighting to get it back.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Oh absolutely, and if they want to keep the $150 deposit, go right ahead. The real issue is if the elevator isn't reserved, it's going to take forever to move out and I have to pay by the hour for my movers. It's just ridiculous that they say this, because everyone moves on the weekend!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Legally they can't make a change that's a substantial modification to the bargain without your signature. Whether you can argue this constitutes that is a different question. It's a one time event, but it can be very costly, so from that respect it may be substantial. I would certainly argue that.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The complex came back and said we can move out on Sunday, but it's $50/hr for a member of staff to supervise, and a two hour minimum. We're going to do it, because I have several important meetings on Monday that I can't reschedule and we leave on Wednesday for a vacation so we don't have a lot of time to move, unpack and clean out the old apartment. And it's not so much that they don't allow moving out on weekends, it's that they don't allow you to reserve the elevator without a member of staff to supervise, and they don't allow staff to be there on weekends or some poo poo like that.

Makes you wonder how much poo poo gets broken with people moving on weekends without permission. Our elevators suck and I'm convinced it's going to crash one of these days.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
How is requiring people to pay money to move boxes out of their home (outside of office hours) not against some kind of tenant/landlord law? :psyduck:

Omne posted:

Oh absolutely, and if they want to keep the $150 deposit, go right ahead. The real issue is if the elevator isn't reserved, it's going to take forever to move out and I have to pay by the hour for my movers. It's just ridiculous that they say this, because everyone moves on the weekend!
Missed this post. Is it really cheaper to pay the $50/hr + whatever your movers charge vs letting the movers use the elevator unreserved? When I move, mine will charge $90/hr for a 500 sqft apartment including breakdown/reassembling furniture. Are you going to stand there and supervise the movers emptying your apartment? If not & its a reputable, well established company, why not just give them the keys and have them move you out during business hours? Or have a friend with business hours availability hang out while the movers empty your place in exchange for pizza/dinner/whatever?

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 14, 2015

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Have you ever hired movers? It's $90/hr so they can go pick a guy up who was just released from jail and pay him $5 hour. I've never seen one who was not either an actual criminal or just looked like a criminal. They have to be with your stuff unattended at certain points, but there is no loving way I'd toss one the keys and be like "let me know when it's all in my new place!".

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ladyweapon posted:

How is requiring people to pay money to move boxes out of their home (outside of office hours) not against some kind of tenant/landlord law? :psyduck:

Missed this post. Is it really cheaper to pay the $50/hr + whatever your movers charge vs letting the movers use the elevator unreserved? When I move, mine will charge $90/hr for a 500 sqft apartment including breakdown/reassembling furniture. Are you going to stand there and supervise the movers emptying your apartment? If not & its a reputable, well established company, why not just give them the keys and have them move you out during business hours? Or have a friend with business hours availability hang out while the movers empty your place in exchange for pizza/dinner/whatever?
You need to be around to answer questions from the movers. Never in a million years would I let movers move my stuff without me there to see it, and I doubt a reputable moving company would agree to do it without someone there with authority to make decisions.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Funny you mention that, as our wedding photographer just told us a story about how when he was moving from an apartment to his current house, he couldn't get off work and neither could his wife, so his mom supervised his three movers. They would each go into a room individually and come out with a piece of furniture. One lady watching, three guys in three different rooms. Can you guess where this is going?

Guy gets home, goes to put away some stuff and realizes that the movers stole a gun from his (admittedly, he was an idiot in this regard) unlocked gun case. There is not a chance in HELL I'd ever let people into my apartment unsupervised if I didn't have to (i.e. a landlord entering).

And yes, with how slow our elevators are, I just about guarantee it would add at least an hour in taking down individual items on the elevator versus having the elevator reserved for our private use.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Omne posted:

Guy gets home, goes to put away some stuff and realizes that the movers stole a gun from his (admittedly, he was an idiot in this regard) unlocked gun case. There is not a chance in HELL I'd ever let people into my apartment unsupervised if I didn't have to (i.e. a landlord entering).

This guy is an idiot for not moving his firearms himself. Every time we move we set aside a carload of stuff designated for moving ourselves personally like guns, jewelry, and important paperwork like birth certificates and passports that the movers are instructed to not even think about touching, usually located in a closet we can keep an eye on if we can't move it ourselves beforehand. We scrub our house for any traces of firearms (no cleaning supplies, no ammo, nothing visible) and other expensive stuff before movers come in because of this exact scenario.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm trying to rent my condo in South Jersey. Is there a better place to post it than Craigslist? It's been up for almost two weeks and we have only gotten a few interested people, but nothing solid. We are definitely competitively priced, as I've been checking around to see what others are going for.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You can offer it to a realtor, but you'll take a bath on the fees.

Post the craigslist ad and I may have a better indication of what's wrong.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

photomikey posted:

You can offer it to a realtor, but you'll take a bath on the fees.

Post the craigslist ad and I may have a better indication of what's wrong.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/apa/5156939986.html

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Looking at Rentometer, you're $100 or so higher than nearby places. You'll get it (eventually), but it'll take a while. At $1200 you'd be on par with everyone else and at $1100 you'll rent quickly. Pick your poison. The guy who takes it at $1300 will move quicker (as soon as the lease is up), the guy who takes it at $1100 will never move. You'll lost a month a year at $1300 and never get a vacancy at $1100, basically breaking even at either price point.

If this is your only place and it's losing money, I understand how hard it is to drop the price a couple hundred bucks, but that is what it is.

Landlord secret for renting a place with a washer/dryer in it is to post flyers in local laundrymats. These are people who already living in your neighborhood (schools, work, etc), and hating life because they don't have a W/D of their own. Classic captive audience.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I need to buy a new vacuum. We bought or were given 3 second hand ones. None of them work. I need to buy a new one, but I have no idea what brand, or what price range I need to have it not give out in a few months. Does anyone have hopefully cheap recommendations?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
This one is the goon approved vacuum, but this one recently surpassed it in Amazon ranking. I'd say for eighty bucks you can't go wrong with either one. I bought the former 8 years ago and it still works great.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I need to buy a new vacuum. We bought or were given 3 second hand ones. None of them work. I need to buy a new one, but I have no idea what brand, or what price range I need to have it not give out in a few months. Does anyone have hopefully cheap recommendations?

How much carpet do you have? We have a Hoover Windtunnel that's been dutifully sucking up our dirt and hair for years now, and we recently purchased a Shark Rocket for little stuff. The Rocket is awesome but I wouldn't use it for a whole-house vacuum since it's a pain in the rear end to steer.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I ended up picking up a slightly different model of wind tunnel. Costco had it on sale, and it actually had slightly better reviews than the linked one.

We have a 900 sq ft townhouse, with carpet in most of it. So not too much carpet.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sticking with vacuum recommendations, how about handheld vacuums? I've got entirely hardwood so I don't need a full-sized one.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I have some Hoover Windtunnel version and I like it a lot. I have two dogs and we have a combination of area rugs and hardwood floors. The only room that I'm kind of eh on with it is our white tile floor in the bathroom. I end up Swiffering there anyways. My favorite features of the vacuum, and ones that I would not buy another one without are it being bagless and the rinsable filter. I go over our apartment (~600 sqft?) once or twice a week and empty the canister out probably once a month or so.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I have a Dyson Animal handheld (I think it's this one, but I'm not 100% sure), and it's great. It works really well on getting pet hair off furniture, and it's also great on bare floors (and carpeting, for that matter). I got mine refurbished off Amazon and I've had it for over a year now with no problems.

Re upright vacuums, I have this cheap Bissell bagless model, and it's also great.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey goons;

I have a 1,200Sqft house and I am going to be moving on the 17th of September from Boise ID to the GrandRapids area of Michigan.
I have around 7500$ to move, and that includes first and last months rent at a new place (around 2500$) leaving me with 5k to move.

I have 3 cars, 2 kids, and a dog.

What are the best options to move my belongings? I don't have a huge ammount of stuff, and I have been quoted around 4500~ from a few moving companies.

Would a gigantic Uhaul truck be worth it? Or Pods?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

ratbert90 posted:

Hey goons;

I have a 1,200Sqft house and I am going to be moving on the 17th of September from Boise ID to the GrandRapids area of Michigan.
I have around 7500$ to move, and that includes first and last months rent at a new place (around 2500$) leaving me with 5k to move.

What are the best options to move my belongings? I don't have a huge ammount of stuff, and I have been quoted around 4500~ from a few moving companies.

Re: Pods, take care to make sure that they can pick up and drop off a Pod in your location. Grand Rapids is a larger city in Michigan, but it's at the cusp of will they/won't they in terms of newer services. I grew up in the area and when my brother had to move to Florida, they were not able to use Pods.

For the quotes that you have, I'm wondering if you've looked into sharing a van with someone else? If you're relatively flexible on dates, you can call the moving company and have them pick up your stuff along with someone else in the area. It's not as expensive as a full van by yourself. With two kids and a dog, you can treat it as a mini-vacation, stay along the Lake Michigan coastline while you wait for your poo poo to come and get to know the area.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Hey goons;

The hardest part of that is going to be moving all three cars. Do you have a plan in place for that? If you can survive with one vehicle for about a month or so you can have them shipped but that takes a long time and costs a significant amount of money.

If you don't have that much stuff you should look into ABF U-Pack, they only charge for how many feet of the truck you take up. I didn't have that much stuff my first move so I only took up about 7 feet of the trailer and I moved halfway across the country for less than $1000. They'll put up a barrier when your stuff is all packed and use the remainder of the truck to move someone else's stuff en route.

I would caution against PODS unless you're really good at packing, the way they're set up and moved doesn't allow for much shock absorption like a regular truck so your stuff is more likely to get broken due to the vibration and bumps.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I would caution against PODS unless you're really good at packing, the way they're set up and moved doesn't allow for much shock absorption like a regular truck so your stuff is more likely to get broken due to the vibration and bumps.

Adding onto this, U-Pack trailers use traditional leaf springs rather than air bags found on many larger trailers. This means they run pretty rough too, so pack stuff carefully. If you want to save yourself a bunch of time securing cargo, buy a couple dozen e-track rings and ratchet straps to use the built in rails on the walls. Also when I called U-Pack the phone rep knocked $100 off the quoted online price.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I just moved across the country with U-Pack and was originally quoted $3600. They knocked off $1000 when I made it terminal-to-door instead of door-to-door, plus $50 because it was for a job that wasn't compensating me. I called back to cancel because it was too expensive, and they gave it to me for $1800 door-to-door. Dude who brought the cube was super nice and made sure to wiggle the thing in the most convenient way for loading from my apartment.

I get my stuff next week so we'll see if any thing's broken, but I was fine when I did my last cross-country move with PODS (in 2010 for $2k because I didn't know prices were flexible) so I imagine it'll be okay. Pretty happy with the whole process so far.

atomic bassoon.
Apr 3, 2009
Not sure if anyone would have a 100% answer other than "call the apartment complex", but here goes.

I work a dead-end retail job at the moment, friend is going to be hired at a cushy secretary position that pays well in the city. She doesn't work there yet (because there hasn't been any pay stubs or tax forms filled out, nor will there until we've moved in), so she'll be "unemployed" by the time we move in. Roughly estimated, our gross income will end up like $40k.

There's these apartments I really like for low-ish rent but they have income restrictions, I think it's like $36k annual for two people combined. How plausible would it be to get? Should I even bother wasting money on an application? I don't want to end up committing fraud or some poo poo like that and screw up my life, obviously. We'll have both names on our lease, but only my income will be recorded on it at the time. I'd rather know now before realizing I've done something stupid.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

atomic bassoon. posted:

Not sure if anyone would have a 100% answer other than "call the apartment complex", but here goes.

I work a dead-end retail job at the moment, friend is going to be hired at a cushy secretary position that pays well in the city. She doesn't work there yet (because there hasn't been any pay stubs or tax forms filled out, nor will there until we've moved in), so she'll be "unemployed" by the time we move in. Roughly estimated, our gross income will end up like $40k.

There's these apartments I really like for low-ish rent but they have income restrictions, I think it's like $36k annual for two people combined. How plausible would it be to get? Should I even bother wasting money on an application? I don't want to end up committing fraud or some poo poo like that and screw up my life, obviously. We'll have both names on our lease, but only my income will be recorded on it at the time. I'd rather know now before realizing I've done something stupid.

Tax credit properties and the like generally have to recertify everyone once a year. I don't know that there's any obligation on the tenant to report a new job, but you could easily call the prospective property and ask about that.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

atomic bassoon. posted:

does she have an offer letter stating her salary? that should be good enough to show the rental office as proof of (future) income

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think you're saying 36k is the max income? If that's the case and you're worried about your income going over 36k and you getting kicked out, then the answer is "depends."

Subsidized housing uses a patchwork of funding sources all with a variety of requirements. Some low you to stay if your income goes up, some don't. I don't think it'd be too suspicious to call and ask if you're still eligible if your income goes above the threshold after you've moved in, because it's a reasonable question with a not obvious answer that's good to know if you're going to be a responsible tenant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
In my experience it's all a fraud and everyone knows it but nobody talks about it. In my area it's "must make less than <$35k for family of four, Rent is $1950/mo", and the fact is... nobody can do both of those things at the same time.

Get the application, find out the eligibility rules, get the job after you move in, you should be good for the duration of the lease.