Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

A bit of a loaded statement. Point me where I can get 50mbps data access everywhere I get Verizon for less and I'll take you up on it. It doesn't exist as far as I know.

It's not really a loaded statement. If you need 50mbit data access then stay on postpaid.

If you don't mind waiting a few extra seconds for your animes to download, then prepaid offers very good value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, i would go with T-Mobile if I could, but coverage is poo poo in PA. I'd be fine around my home and work, but once you get too far outside the city, you basically lose everything but voice and very rudimentary data access and that's just not going to work for me.

I could save $20 /month on cricket, but then I would be throttled to 8mbps. And honestly, that may be fast enough. It's all tradeoffs.

AT&T proper is a zero sum game compared to Verizon.

Sprint is, well, sprint.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I really want to add an "are you an IT guy?" poll to this thread.
Theres a surprising amount of posters who crossover between the IT/tickets thread, this thread, and the AI monthly gen chat thread.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, i would go with T-Mobile if I could, but coverage is poo poo in PA. I'd be fine around my home and work, but once you get too far outside the city, you basically lose everything but voice and very rudimentary data access and that's just not going to work for me.

I could save $20 /month on cricket, but then I would be throttled to 8mbps. And honestly, that may be fast enough. It's all tradeoffs.

AT&T proper is a zero sum game compared to Verizon.

Sprint is, well, sprint.

If you want to stay on Verizon's network then look into Straight Talk's 5GB LTE for $45 plan. It's throttled to 8mbit like Cricket.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nimper posted:

If you want to stay on Verizon's network then look into Straight Talk's 5GB LTE for $45 plan. It's throttled to 8mbit like Cricket.

Oh, it's a possibility.

One of the reasons why I haven't done anything (besides being on contract till the end of September) is there were no real viable plan options on Verizon to go back to if I gave up unlimited data. So, I didn't want to leave, find I wanted to go back, and then get stuck paying out the rear end for it.

Now, there are options. Move over to a 2015 Moto X and I could port around to all of these various options and see what works. If not, i can go back to Verizon Postpaid and not be penalized. I would lose unlimited, but my normal usage would finally be at or below the same pricepoint.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

bull3964 posted:

The solution exists and it's Motorola that has lit the fuse.

Single SKU, every carrier, sold direct from manufacturer.

You don't poo poo out 12,000 variants of the same device to satisfy every edge case of marketshare and you remove the corrosive carrier influence and suddenly this becomes a lot more tenable.

At the same time though, I don't know if I can buy into the doom and gloom. People buy insecure crappy products all the time. You think that $20 router you bought at walmart has every vulnerability patched? What about your cut rate smart TV? As the (ugh) "internet of things" pervades everything, cell phones are going to seem like an EASY thing to protect. At least with these platforms you CAN install supplemental apps to mitigate issues and you can have protection from the network on some vectors. Good luck doing that with your car's infotainment system.

Hell, while we can point as iOS as the model here, the sad reality is, people aren't forced to upgrade or apply patches.

The iPhone 4s is 9% of the iOS market and only 70% of users are on 8.x
iPhone 5, 9% of market, only 80% of people on latest
iPhone 5s, 17% of market, only 85% on latest.
iPhone 5c, 9% of market, 81% on latest

None of these have breakdowns on patch level so it's possible that even fewer are fully patched.

The situation isn't as dire as Android obviously, but it still points to a trend. Microsoft took a lot of flack for basically forcing updates on Windows 10 for general consumers, but it's increasingly obvious that a forced approach needs to be the ultimate evolution if security is going to be ensured.

There just needs to be a greater conversation about security and awareness in general. In the end, it's on us. The consumers have to demand better and they can't be complacent and ignore security, refusing to update even things that CAN be updated.

I think there's a very big difference if a security update is available and you choose to ignore/refuse it or no update is available because the OEM and/or carrier has made that choice for you.

You can't begin to solve user indifference if the security updates aren't available to begin with.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

I would lose unlimited, but my normal usage would finally be at or below the same pricepoint.

Yeah, for people without unlimited data on Verizon (which is most people these days), it's at least something to consider.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MrBond posted:

I think there's a very big difference if a security update is available and you choose to ignore/refuse it or no update is available because the OEM and/or carrier has made that choice for you.

You can't begin to solve user indifference if the security updates aren't available to begin with.

The choice is there regardless. Every.Single.Carrier. in the US has Android devices that get timely security updates. Every one.

You want security and android, you buy the devices that gives you both. You are simply making that choice at purchase time rather than install time.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Did you bother reading the article? I don't know how you could and take away that it is simply about a single security flaw. The majority of devices out WILL NOT get patched from this, as the author mentions there's roughly 2.6% of devices in use that will get the fix. Not to mention any future flaws found, hundreds of millions of devices with a critical security flaw that's trivial to exploit.

But hey lets cover our eyes and pretend the issues don't exist because you know, there have always been issues! Why bother fixing anything?

Edit : The more I sit and think about it the more it dawns on my you have no clue as to the scope of the issue. The other exploits we have seen this year such as heartbleed and shellshock can all be remedied pretty quickly because there is generally a single entity responsible for resolving the issue, then it gets pushed out and in a normal update procedure (for the OS, similar to what the article discussed) it gets patched. There IS NO way to do that with Android, tons of hands in the pot and most of them unwilling to fix anything older than a little over a year. The issue here is completely different than other security exploits because again, there IS NO patching mechanism in place except for a few handsets.

I think the problem here is people seem to think iOS (for example) and Android are equivalent, and they're not. iOS is the software platform that Apple has created for its own mobile devices to run. Android is a software platform that Google has created for hardware manufacturers to base their devices on. This is the flipside to buying a phone with Touchwiz or whatever - you're not just buying 'an Android phone' that an OEM has hosed around with, like a Windows laptop with bloatware added. You're buying a Samsung phone with an OS maintained by Samsung. 'Touchwiz' (and all the S-garbage that comes with it) is iOS in a way, because it's the OS that Samsung maintains for its own mobile devices. It just happens to be based on AOSP

As it stands there's tons of devices out there by lots of different manufacturers, based off various versions of Android and at various stages of support. There's no universal patching system, because they're all effectively ~CUSTOM ROMZ~ built by individual companies, and often for specific hardware. AOSP gets patched of course, but it's up to each manufacturer to update their own platforms and roll it out, and decide if they want to extend that support to 6-year-old shitphones that are still banging around out there. Unsurprisingly, a lot of them won't bother. This isn't exactly an unusual situation in consumer electronics

And that's not even getting into whatever the hell your carriers are involved with. On the other hand, I hear the Free Market is good and competition magically solves all these issues!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hardware keyboard chat: according to @evleaks this is going to be an accessory for the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus:

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Lmao, wow.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
That looks like they ripped it straight off ... the .. Palm Trio I think.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It's a plastic phone condom with buttons.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
For the 3 people in this thread who want a physical keyboard, I guess.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus + hardware keyboard accessory + Samsung Gear VR = going full retard?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus + hardware keyboard accessory + Samsung Gear VR = going full retard?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Rastor posted:

It's our generation's tower of power!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Nobody cares if you're a tier 1 call center chimp

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Motorola has released a complete list of phones getting stagefright update. Pretty much everything from 2013 to present (so past two years).

quote:

Moto X Style (patched from launch)
Moto X Play (patched from launch)
Moto X (1st Gen, 2nd Gen)
Moto X Pro
Moto Maxx/Turbo
Moto G (1st Gen, 2nd Gen, 3rd Gen)
Moto G with 4G LTE (1st Gen, 2nd Gen)
Moto E (1st Gen, 2nd Gen)
Moto E with 4G LTE (2nd Gen)
DROID Turbo
DROID Ultra/Mini/Maxx

The statement on timing also gives an idea of of how much of a mess this whole process is.

quote:

We will begin delivering software to our carrier partners to test starting August 10th for the phones listed above. Many carriers have unique requirements that result in unique variants of software. As a result, there are over 200 variants of software that we are working to patch, test and deploy to our carrier partners for their testing and approval. We are prioritizing our deployments of the patch to the largest groups of consumers first and working closely with our carrier partners to make the patch available as soon as possible. We will update on our progress as more information becomes available.

15 or so devices are listed as getting updated. That results in 200 different software builds to test and deploy worldwide. 200. This is a company that's pretty much been only releasing 2-3 models a year for the past 2 years.

Can you even fathom how many builds LG must have to do? HTC? Samsung?!?

It's just an example on how it's not just an update issue that needs to be worked out. It's a whole brand issue. These companies need to fundamentally change the way they make products in order to make this something that's feasible to maintain. You can't make 12 different variants a year. Alternatively, if you still need to hit those business realities, you need to make your systems modular enough so that you only have to do ONE build to hit all 12 variants you released that year.

Either way, it's complex.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I wonder if Samsung will get sued by Blackberry for that keyboard case, the same way they went after Ryan Seacrest.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/17/8055309/blackberry-suing-typo2-keyboard-case

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

nimper posted:

and don't pay for postpaid service since you can get basically the same thing from prepaid for less.

Pre-paid doesn't get me free international data for the majority of the world, which actually has come in useful recently. :shrug:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

isndl posted:

Pre-paid doesn't get me free international data for the majority of the world, which actually has come in useful recently. :shrug:

Sure, postpaid has its advantages but for most people it wouldn't be any different.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

kitten smoothie posted:

I wonder if Samsung will get sued by Blackberry for that keyboard case, the same way they went after Ryan Seacrest.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Doubtful. The Typo case was a literal copy of Blackberry's keyboard. The Samsung is horrible enough looking for Blackberry to not give a poo poo.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Still loving my Moto G, but one negative is that even with the textured back (doesn't loving help) it's, like, SUPER slippery. Almost dropped it a couple times.

Don't people like Diztronic here? There's this one that looks almost exactly like the Nexus 6 one that I've seen recommended in this thread a thousand times, so I'm guessing it's very similar. How are the buttons? How's the grip?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Poop. I thought the textured back + $200 price tag would make the 2015 Moto G my first caseless phone.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I was kinda hoping to rock it without a case, too, and it would otherwise be perfect for that but it's unfortunately a very slippery phone. :(

vv Well for what it's worth, then, the black back at least really has no grip at all.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 8, 2015

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
If the backs are slippery, you probably ordered the wrong color. Some colors are slippery while others are rubbery. At least that's how it was on my Moto X.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

Still loving my Moto G, but one negative is that even with the textured back (doesn't loving help) it's, like, SUPER slippery. Almost dropped it a couple times.

Don't people like Diztronic here? There's this one that looks almost exactly like the Nexus 6 one that I've seen recommended in this thread a thousand times, so I'm guessing it's very similar. How are the buttons? How's the grip?

Yeah Diztronic are the ones. They don't have super grippy backs but they're much less slippery than nearly any phone available today. Sometimes I think I'd like more texture but I imagine it might make pulling a phone out of my pocket too annoying. It's probably a pretty good balance.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

the littlest prince posted:

Yeah Diztronic are the ones. They don't have super grippy backs but they're much less slippery than nearly any phone available today. Sometimes I think I'd like more texture but I imagine it might make pulling a phone out of my pocket too annoying. It's probably a pretty good balance.

Went ahead and ordered one:. Guess I'll report on how I feel about it.

$240 (tax, etc) might be really cheap for a phone but it still feels prudent to protect that investment with another :10bux:.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

bull3964 posted:

The choice is there regardless. Every.Single.Carrier. in the US has Android devices that get timely security updates. Every one.

You want security and android, you buy the devices that gives you both. You are simply making that choice at purchase time rather than install time.

It sounds like you're arguing that security should be for those that know it exists and seek it out. That seems rather silly doesn't it? Shouldn't a secure implementation be there for everyone by default, regardless of whether or not you know someone's working on it?

Look at Nexus and Moto vs. everyone else. You can yell at people until you're blue in the face that those are the 2 OEMs to go after and yet Samsung is still there, #1 at the top. Yes, ideally people wouldn't be buying from a sub-par OEM but the vast majority of people don't really care about implementation details and figure the Galaxy S is the brand everyone else goes with, even if there's no meaningful network effect there. IMO they deserve to get a reasonably secure device with updates too.

I think the Windows analogy is apt, at least in terms of customer expectations. If you buy your computer from a poo poo-tastic OEM maybe your experience is worse than a Lenovo customer's, but you both get security updates. At least until Samsung decides to turn off auto-install I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You can yell at people until you are blue in the face to install the updates that are available to them too, and history shows they won't.

Security is a personal choice that requires a bit more thought than whether or not you have to wipe your whole device so you have enough room to install your update (the biggest reason why there exists unpatched iOS devices) or whether or not you can use a comic sans system font.

Can and should the situation be better? Absolutely. Is any person in this thread who is aware and complaining impotent to take action and ensure their own security. Hell no. Not one.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Daily Forecast posted:

Have you tried using grip tape?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MrBond posted:

I think the Windows analogy is apt, at least in terms of customer expectations.

That's certainly untrue because everyone's expectations of Windows are of an ecosystem where you certainly will get "a virus" over a long enough time span and that if it all possible it's best to avoid it altogether. That's why phones, tablets, Chromebooks, and Macs keep eating into Windows for normal people because anyone with any sense has looked at Windows as the malware spigot that it is and just washed their hands of it.

It would be a good thing if consumers viewed Android in this way because at least then they'd have an accurate picture as to the security landscape of it and actually take security into account. Now to be fair Android isn't nearly the shitshow Windows is yet but that's only because no one's getting ransomed out of using their phone and I haven't heard of people getting their banking details and passwords lifted from a mobile device yet. If something big and public like that were to happen then attitudes might shift but until then people are going to assume you don't have to worry about telephone malware as a real thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Not to interrupt the Windows malware chat in the Android thread but do any of you with the new Moto G know if it has OIS or what is the highest resolution the camera can do for video/photo?

I know the Nexus 6 can do 4K with OIS, does this mean the same for the Moto G or should I just be hoping for the Moto X instead?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not to interrupt the Windows malware chat in the Android thread but do any of you with the new Moto G know if it has OIS or what is the highest resolution the camera can do for video/photo?

I know the Nexus 6 can do 4K with OIS, does this mean the same for the Moto G or should I just be hoping for the Moto X instead?

As far as I know it doesn't have OIS and can't record 4K video because of the slower SOC

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bronin posted:

As far as I know it doesn't have OIS and can't record 4K video because of the slower SOC

Nope, it does in fact have OIS and you can record in 4K.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

kitten smoothie posted:

Nope, it does in fact have OIS and you can record in 4K.

? Maybe I should clarify. The Moto G doesn't, the Moto X does.

This is the spec sheet from the Moto G on Motorola.com:

Rear Camera
13 MP
f/2.0
Field of view (FOV) 76 degrees
CCT dual-LED flash
Auto focus
Quick Capture (twist wrist to launch camera)
Tap anywhere to capture
4X digital zoom (drag to zoom in/out)
Slow motion video
Burst mode
Auto HDR
Panorama
Video iHDR
Manual focus and exposure controls
Timer
Active viewfinder (recognizes QR codes and barcodes)

And those are the camera specs from the Moto X Style/Pure Edition:

Rear Camera
21 M
f/2.0 aperture
Phase Detect Auto-Focus (PDAF)
Closed loop processing
Color Correlated Temperature (CCT) flash with dual LEDs
Quick Capture
Tap (anywhere) to capture
4X digital zoom
Burst mode
Night mode
Auto HDR
Panorama
Drag to focus & exposure
Video Stabilization
1080p HD video (60 fps)
4K video (30fps)
Slow Motion video
Video HDR (1080p and 4K)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sorry, I'm dumb, it was too early and I was thinking you were referring to the N6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The X doesn't have OIS either (that's been one of the major sources of skepticism of the camera claims.). The video stabilization is just digital.